Politics United States Presidential Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjohn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
599
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mitt Romney just dropped out ;-( i was hoping he would make it -.- darn
 

Athena

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
114
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Mitt Romney just dropped out ;-( i was hoping he would make it -.- darn
Yeah too bad that lobbyist-Whore couldn't make it. He alone sums up what's wrong with America these days.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah, I like how Right-Wingers point to him as being the candidate "best" for business, which is something we really need now. He's a Venture-Capitalist who did nothing but bankrupt companies and create MORE unemployment in doing so. But we're going to trust him with reviving our economy as a country? I'm not sold on that at all.

They point to his flip-flopping as being a result of him being a Republican Governor in a Democratic state, but that just means he was elected based on lies. Which in turn points to him just saying whatever the public wants in order to get elected.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Well, I'm not going to argue the point any longer, as it looks like a Democrat is going to be in charge (I count McCain as a Democrat too). At this point I think Obama has it in the bag, though.

We'll just have to see what happens.
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why is McCain called "liberal"? He has one of the most conservative voting records in the Senate. It might be because Bush refused to lift the tax cuts when we went into Iraq, which McCain was right about. You can't have an increase in spending while cutting taxes, it just increases the deficit. Then again what should you expect from a former Yale cheerleader who bankrupted and oil company?
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
McCain isn't known as a maverick for nothing, you know. Basically, with him, you don't really know what you're getting because he seems to fluctuate between liberal and conservative views. Though it is true he has a big conservative record, but even his own party isn't sure about him.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll still probably vote McCain against Obama/Hillary in the end. I just wouldn't call him a conservative right now. He seems like the kinda guy who seems like if he's going to get a political advantage by agreeing to liberal views more than conservative views, he'd do it, and that scares me.

But basically there's nobody I really care for now, and I have a deep fear that America is going to be royally screwed for the next 10 years. But at least I can say that I voted against it happening. :)
 
Last edited:

ssjohn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
599
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But basically there's nobody I really care for now, and I have a deep fear that America is going to be royally screwed for the next 10 years. But at least I can say that I voted against it happening. :)
Just wanted to say very well put and i feel the same way ;-)
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
I am very sad that Mitt Romney abandoned ship. What is going on with the Republican Party candidates? :eyeroll
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm a Democrat through and through but I would like to point out a few reason's why being a Republican isn't so hot these days. None of which I'm proud of mind you, the system is a joke and we never elect our leaders objectively. The media controls our elections, as evident to why none of the GOP candidates "feels" rebulican, thanks to this guy:


if your views are "similar" as in any ways Republican then you can sure as hell imagine that the media will constantly portray and compare you to him. Being like Bush could only get people not to vote for you.

Secondly there's this guy
If you need help remembering, Mark Foley is the pedophile who let Democrats win Congress. Think about, how else did the Republicans lose control of the house so quickly?

At last I'll conclude my republican bashing with Senator Larry Craig
this unlucky sap was arrested for soliciting gay sex in the stalls, (something which I don't believe, unless he pulled out his dick.) All this negative press just sits in the back of peoples minds, and with young voters thinking voting is cool... well Republicans better hope for another Monica.

Oh not to mention the fact that Oprah supports Obama, all in all once the Big O makes a stand you know its over. Mitt Romney's private fortune couldn't buy him the nomination and Hillary's can't either.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
i want to add something to republicans. i dont want a republican US president. the US president has a huge influence globally. bush is a republican and i dont like his policies globally. he's too conservative. i dont want a war in iraq, i dont want bickerings with putin, i dont want just GUESSING who hides the terrorists. i dont want coercing the UN. 9/11 was impossible to overlook, but this is going too far. this is my opinion, but these actions are born out of being conservative. this is my STRONG opinion too, but republicans are businessmen. see the oil in iraq? mccain may be better than bush but i dont see any radical changes be made globally if he succeeds. everybody is making fun of bush for being old school. not that its bad, its just bush is making it bad. i know cause our president's a peon of bush.

plus hillary man, somehow i just know she's going to fail at global relations... i just got a gut feeling. i cant see her going against ahmadinejad or putin. the US' influence is held dear by the small countries, like ours, so, not like i dont want our country to keep sucking on other countries, but we need someone who can stabilize global relations. that maybe the UN's job but the US, Russia and other powerhouses are a vital part

just felt like ranting, there's a major corruption controversy (been watching the hearing since school) involving the first gentleman and other high officials going on now :D
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The biggest mistake is believing that Bush is conservative.

I'm not a Republican, I'm a Democrat, but anyone who knows anything about American politics knows that he is not a true conservative. Nearly ANY spending bill that crossed his desk was signed.

True Conservatives do not wish for us the intervene in foreign affairs unilaterally. Heck, many of them are isolationists like Ron Paul.

It's the Neo-Cons who would rather have a permanent Military base in every country, especially if they have Oil.
 

Athena

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
114
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The biggest mistake is believing that Bush is conservative.

I'm not a Republican, I'm a Democrat, but anyone who knows anything about American politics knows that he is not a true conservative. Nearly ANY spending bill that crossed his desk was signed.

True Conservatives do not wish for us the intervene in foreign affairs unilaterally. Heck, many of them are isolationists like Ron Paul.

It's the Neo-Cons who would rather have a permanent Military base in every country, especially if they have Oil.
Come on man, we both know he IS a true conservatives. This argument was put forward by those conservatives who saw his incompetency and mismanagement in about everything and wanted to distance themselves from him. How come he was a conservative for over 7 years and suddenly now he isn't anymore?! His ideas about torture, economy and foreign relations are supported by the majority of conservatives, if not all.

Your claim about them not wanting to take unilateral action is, no offense, quite frankly laughable. Every single republican president (and democrats too for that matter) took many unilateral actions in their interference in 63 countries' internal affairs so far; from Nixon to this one. The foundation of their foreign policy is to dictate the will of their administration by whatever means possible.

By the way Ron is a different story. He is so popular because he was almost THE only republican who thinks that way. He has appeals to the independence and liberal voters not the republicans. Take a look at the exit polls; why hasn't he won any primaries so far? Conservatives don't like him, his stance on the issues or his ideas.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Come on man, we both know he IS a true conservatives. This argument was put forward by those conservatives who saw his incompetency and mismanagement in about everything and wanted to distance themselves from him. How come he was a conservative for over 7 years and suddenly now he isn't anymore?! His ideas about torture, economy and foreign relations are supported by the majority of conservatives, if not all.

Your claim about them not wanting to take unilateral action is, no offense, quite frankly laughable. Every single republican president (and democrats too for that matter) took many unilateral actions in their interference in 63 countries' internal affairs so far; from Nixon to this one. The foundation of their foreign policy is to dictate the will of their administration by whatever means possible.

By the way Ron is a different story. He is so popular because he was almost THE only republican who thinks that way. He has appeals to the independence and liberal voters not the republicans. Take a look at the exit polls; why hasn't he won any primaries so far? Conservatives don't like him, his stance on the issues or his ideas.
I'm not going to go into the "ins and outs" of everything because frankly, I don't feel knowledgeable enough to.

The problem with the Government is the two party system. No one will vote for Ron Paul or other third-party candidates because those parties lack money and a base of loyal voters. Most voters just vote purely on their party.
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have to agree with Athena... Republicans are trying to distance themselves from GW Bush by saying he is not conservative, because he is like super-saiyan conservative. Tax cuts, backing pro-life legislation/judges, pro-war, trying to end the "death tax" (which only effects people who have $7 million in assets...I don't have $7 in assets, unless you count my car, then it's $11.53).

And yeah I would agree that the 2 party system is a pain and that third party candidates probably can't win the presidency. That's not to say 3rd party/independents aren't useful. They're great at splitting a ticket. That's why I hope Bloomberg throws his hat into the ring.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Oh my god.

All this time I thought Obama was going to win it, and he's ahead right now... but what's this SUPER DELEGATES thing?

Oh my gosh.

That's ... freaked up. You mean really, Hillary has had it all along because she's had the favor of the super delegates and the vote doesn't matter a damn thing?

Oh geezus!!! :XD

Talk about a impending controversy. I feel like an idiot for not knowing about that.

EDIT: (Reason for my shock is I came across this post on another forum - you'll have to excuse the Republican bias though.)

You Democrat voters are so cute and naïve. There is nothing democratic about the democrat party.

YOU HAVE NO SAY IN WHO GETS TO BE THE DEMOCRAT PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE. So vote all you want for your silly Obama delegates.

You DO realize that only the democrat party has “super delegates”.

You DO know what a “super delegate” is don’t you?

Of course not- If you were that smart you would not be a democrat.

A “super delegate” is a very special democrat delegate of prominence (and pre selected to support Hillary) who’s votes count more than the silly Obama delegates that you vote in.

That’s right. Everyone is equal in the democrat party. But just like in animal farm “some are more equal than others”.

Whoever you vote for doesn’t really matter. The “super delegates” will actually decide the democratic nominee.

And they have already decided on Hillary.

Isn’t that super.

Hey, if you want to see a real primary where you actually have to get elected to win you should check out the republican party primary.

It is amazing. They have real candidates that actually have to beat other candidates to win the nomination. We call it “competition” or “democracy” and just like “super delegates” it’s a term I am sure you are unfamiliar with.
I had no idea about that.

I checked into it just to be sure, and DAMN. It's true.

What the hell is the point of even doing all this for the Democrats? XD
 
Last edited:

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah I hate the super delegate thing too. First off, it takes away my right as a voter to choose who will be my candidate. On top of that, these "super" delegates pick crappy candidates (Gore and Kerry... they remind me of Kakuzu and Hidan the "zombie twins" so much! Gore is the Frankenstein and Kerry is the zombie.) The Dems might have stood a chance if they didn't choose a flip-flopping dingus like Kerry in 04.

I'm writing Dean about this. I want a candidate who actually has a chance at winning and I despise all of these Kennedy-esque Camelot-loving idiots that think they know what the public wants. They don't, that's why they lost in 2000 and 2004.
 
Last edited:

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Republicans have unpledged delegates. Y'know its EXACTLY THE SAME THING.
Here's the simplest explanation I could find http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080128054139AAK4YNZ
In other word republicans in some states have no rules binding them to listen to majority and others their votes are decided by the popular vote. Y'know that sounds exactly like the super delegates.

But honestly, I never trust politicians and well yeah the super delegates do seem to favor the ol' HillBill. Though to be honest, the Democratic party will receive a huge blow if Obama doesn't win. His supporters aren't exactly the most peaceful.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Well, either way because the Democratic race is so close right now, people are going to start becoming more aware of this thing. I just read that it's actually becoming a point of controversy now, figures. I haven't been paying much attention to the news lately.

Anyway, I guess I'm just shocked because... well, I don't exactly major in political science or anything. Politics really do suck.

And mrcongojack, I agree with you. Give anybody but Kerry a chance at Bush in '04... ANYBODY with a firm conviction... and I'm sure Bush would have lost.

I'm still for Obama over Hillary right now, for whatever reason I still trust Obama more despite not sharing his views. For Hillary to win in such a matter would pretty much... I don't know, make a mockery out of the whole thing, I think. I think changes definitely need to be changed, on BOTH sides, if you're right manu. I'd have to check more into that.
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
i did not know america has that superdelegates thing. that SUCKS then all the money wasted on the primaries are better off be spent in the actual election, since the delegates get to choose who to be represented anyway. if hillary wins, even though im not us citizen i'd be pissed. off to mccain's era then. at least obama and mccain are potentially capable in international relations. mccain will be better than obama at international relations. but hillary man, she's gonna suck i just know it.....
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i did not know america has that superdelegates thing. that SUCKS then all the money wasted on the primaries are better off be spent in the actual election, since the delegates get to choose who to be represented anyway. if hillary wins, even though im not us citizen i'd be pissed. off to mccain's era then. at least obama and mccain are potentially capable in international relations. mccain will be better than obama at international relations. but hillary man, she's gonna suck i just know it.....
Well there's only 700 superdelegates, and you need over 2000 delegates to win, so while they have too much power, it's not like they can just go find some shmuck off the street and make him president. The reason it matters during this election is because Obama and Clinton are incredibly close, and the superdelegates could go either way.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top