Discussion - Boys Love Anime/Manga/Drama Confessions Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Boys Love Anime/Manga/Drama Confessions Thread

windy van

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Oww... Your confession is so funny... lol :)

I confess my yaoi list is almost outnumbered half of my other list(shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei)
What's that mean? For me yaoi is the 2nd after shoujo, even beats my favorite josei.. lol :p

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I confess that i ship Rin and Haru in Free! :x3
That scene in the fence was so hot. Oh, the sexual tension! :tss

They look so good together. :squee

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Back when I was really into Reborn, I was against BL shipping because there was just too much of it since KHR had a large male cast and Amano's art style made nearly everyone attractive. The fujoshi demographic was on the young side (i.e. middle schoolers), and they were often times vicious towards female characters. The uke characters were often times drawn really moe, and I wasn't into that.

On the other hand, ONE PIECE has a proportionately smaller and quieter BL circle so it's not as "everywhere". Characters who are over 18 vast out number those who are below it so I feel more comfortable with a pairing that's on the mature side. From my observation, fujoshis in OP seem to be older, and it also helps that I haven't encountered any misogynistic comments thus far. :XD Even though I don't have a particular pairing I stan for per se, I'm not as close-minded as before: I enjoy going through pixiv and looking at fanarts of various BL ships. My favourites include Doffy/Vergo, Kid/Law and Smoker/Law.

Basically my enjoyment of BL in a non-BL work depends on what the fujoshis are like in that particular fandom.

Georgie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basically my enjoyment of BL in a non-BL work depends on what the fujoshis are like in that particular fandom.
This.
I don't let the fandom influence me in which characters I ship, because I'm gonna ship whatever I like, but some shippers do make me turn away from a specific ship.
Like, right now I'm into Attack on Titan and I love the Erwin x Levi ship. The shippers are fantastic, mature, and I love most art and fanfics....on the other hand jean x marco and jean x armin....left me disappointed, even thought I still ship them I don't go out of my way to look for fan stuff of them. And that's all I gotta say about that. But yes, sometimes the fandom can make or break a ship.

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Ah, i check the most popular ships to see if i like it too, initially. But usually my favorite pair isn't the most popular. :XD

Sometimes i ship two actors and that already gave me a hater once. Some fans can be too passionate.:err
It doesn't annoy me to hear about different ships.

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This is an interesting topic! I confess I read Death Note after being really absorbed into all the L/Light fanart that I saw. But on reading it I just found Light so goddamn annoying. I felt like I was conned into reading an otherwise mediocre manga (in my opinion of course, I understand Death Note was popular for a reason).

And that's another thing I want to confess...sometimes I see something BL related and end up liking it before I've even tried it. :lmao Which can lead to disappointment.

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This is an interesting topic! I confess I read Death Note after being really absorbed into all the L/Light fanart that I saw. But on reading it I just found Light so goddamn annoying. I felt like I was conned into reading an otherwise mediocre manga (in my opinion of course, I understand Death Note was popular for a reason).

And that's another thing I want to confess...sometimes I see something BL related and end up liking it before I've even tried it. :lmao Which can lead to disappointment.
:hi5
I started reading D.gray-man cause of one BL fanart. But it wasn't a dissapointment. :spaz

But i also have an example of dissapointment. Monochrome Factor. I saw this fanart and i got all happy and downloaded the whole season. It was so boring.:emocat
That's why i say that i love bishies, but they can't make me interested in the story.

Georgie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel ya.
Many years ago, I read Gundam Wing fanfiction for a while before watching the anime, I even read some ship manifestos. Then I watched the anime and I was like "hmmm, this is not shippy at all expect for some 3x4 if you look hard enough..." Seriously, the fanfics and manifestos did a good job of making me think that Heero and Duo were kinda canonm when in reality, they barely interacted. lol. But I still love gw and 3x4 is one of my favorite ships of all time. ah, the memories, the doujinshi, the crazy fangirls, back then people were more hardcore about shipping than now.

Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I want to see an actual gay pairing in a non-BL manga/anime/visual novel/light novel. Is that too much to ask? :crying

Even though I don't watch or read a lot, I've come across a few canon lesbian pairings in non-yuri series: Psycho Pass, Sailor Moon and even Shingeki if you count Ymir/Historia as canon. On the other hand, I'm having trouble remembering if there were any gay relationships portrayed in something other than BL or doujinshi. (If you know any let me know!)

IIRC two male characters in Yu Yu Hakusho were lovers, but I don't remember if it was explicitly stated or heavily implied or whether that was only fandom putting shipping goggles on. If they WERE lovers, then I'd like to see more of it in mainstream series.

Georgie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to see an actual gay pairing in a non-BL manga/anime/visual novel/light novel. Is that too much to ask? :crying
Me too, Asarii, me too.

No. 6! Have you ever heard of it? The plot itself is pretty silly but the two main characters are not stereotypical bl/yaoi characters, which I appreciate a lot. No.6 it's not even categorized as bl.

I heard NANA has queer characters, but I've never read it or watched it so I'm not 100% sure.

Revolutionary Girl Utena I didn't watch much of it but I think there was a strong bond between the two female characters, maybe yuri hints but nothing else.

Yeah, it gets annoying how there are certain anime/manga with a huge male cast but not even one guy is gay, and I'm not into the homo no homo fanservice at all. I ranted much about this to other people in other forums/blogs.

Last edited:

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
PRINCE OF TENNIS!!!! :shout
The baka pair (or gay pair as i call them) are a couple. They are really funny. But... they aren't cute. :emocat
They assumed they are homosexuals during one match.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for the recs, Georgie and Ascleplus! It's nice to see that there are some non-hetero pairings outside of BL. :nod

I've heard of No.6 (mostly because the two protagonists apparently look like Allen and Kanda) but haven't watched it before. I knew it was fairly popular during its run so I'll check it out!

Ah, the oniichan to Kuroko no Basket- Prince of Tennis. :XD

Yeah, it gets annoying how there are certain anime/manga with a huge male cast but not even one guy is gay, and I'm not into the homo no homo fanservice at all. I ranted much about this to other people in other forums/blogs.
Exactly. Or if a male character IS canonically gay, they're pigeonholed into the okama stereotype with flashy attire and flamobyant mannerism. Many drag queens consider themselves queer, but they're not the only ones!

orenjichan92

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I confess that I like whoring my favorite character as an uke. But, it only happens with anime that has so many characters and OTPs.

Magi :
Sinbad x Alibaba, Kouen x Alibaba, Jafar x Alibaba, Sharkan x Alibaba, Kassim x Alibaba, Aladin x Alibaba, Kougyoku x Alibaba (this one is straight, but whatever), Judal x Alibaba, Masrur x Alibaba, Kouha x Alibaba, Olba x Alibaba, Hakuryuu x Alibaba. whoelse??

Karneval : Hirato x Gareki, Tsukitachi x Gareki, Yogi x Gareki. Hell, I would even pair Akari with Gareki. Not Nai, though.

Hetalia:
US x UK, Fr x UK, Spain x UK, Japan x UK, Russia x UK, Fr x UK x US, Bakatrio x UK... many more...

GetBackers, D. Gray Man, Kuroko no Basket, well, you get the idea...

Another confession: I don't feel any guilt, at all. Depressed because there are not enough doujin, but definitely not sorry. :teehee

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I must say that well Im more tempted to try and follow series like once I see a yaoi art of them or even a doujin, even if thats not the case. Ive started so many series just from seeing the art before knowing what they were like Kurobas, Haikyuu!! even, Attack on Titan, Beelzebub just to name a few. Also just even the smallest teases in the series are pleasing even, so good.

Teeba

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Thoughts on Beelzebub's ending, yaoi edition:

So I'm totally going to assume Oga and Furuichi realized they loved each other in those 6 months they were apart. Furuichi looked so sad after realizing Oga might be gone for good, and even admitted all those times Oga dragged him around were some of the best days of his life. And then Oga came in, honoring his promise to Furuichi that he'd be back in time for graduation. He got stuck in the demon world for unforseeable reasons, and in the meanwhile Beel picked up a new word -- his nickname for Furuichi since they were kids.

If that isn't the slightest bit romantic, I don't know what is. I think its because, if Beel's second word was a girl's name, like Hilda or Kunieda, we would be assuming they'd be canon. And since Beel's second word was Furuchin, that can only mean one thing...

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thoughts on Beelzebub's ending, yaoi edition:

So I'm totally going to assume Oga and Furuichi realized they loved each other in those 6 months they were apart. Furuichi looked so sad after realizing Oga might be gone for good, and even admitted all those times Oga dragged him around were some of the best days of his life. And then Oga came in, honoring his promise to Furuichi that he'd be back in time for graduation. He got stuck in the demon world for unforseeable reasons, and in the meanwhile Beel picked up a new word -- his nickname for Furuichi since they were kids.

If that isn't the slightest bit romantic, I don't know what is. I think its because, if Beel's second word was a girl's name, like Hilda or Kunieda, we would be assuming they'd be canon. And since Beel's second word was Furuchin, that can only mean one thing...
We need a yaoi doujin out of that, no wonder I felt wholly satisfied with this ending!

Teeba

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We need a yaoi doujin out of that, no wonder I felt wholly satisfied with this ending!
Haha same here! At first I thought Oga had been gone for 2 years and I thought it was such a cop-out. But then people translated the chinese scans and I couldn't believe Baby Beel's words.

I scanned one a while back I need to edit. Its an oldie but I think everyone will enjoy it.

moniker

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
FRUSTRATION/DISAPPOINTMENT:
  • This may sound hipster but I'm practically finding popular Yaoi/BL titles absurb. Though some really deserve exposure, few just became one like a craze by trend.
  • Cliche, annoying characters and dragging the story like a filler. Uninteresting and unoriginal.
  • Lazy art.

ASPIRATION/EXCITEMENT:
  • More interesting, enjoyable and realistic approach kind of Yaoi/BL stories.
  • To own a hardcopy English translated Yaoi/BL Manga even just one or two.

EMBARRASSMENT:
  • When a real life Gay Guy found out pictures from my phone of Yaoi/BL.
  • When I confessed to my crush I like Yaoi/BL with an awkward face.
  • When I introduced and showed my normal friends to Yaoi/BL with an explicit video right away.

CONFESSION:
  • I'm not much into Doujin pairing, ships, fandom etc for the last half the decade. As much it's interesting to see and create stories from them, I haven't got into further. BUT, there's this only one ship I obsess with and that's Murasakibara x Himuro from Kuroko no Basket. Refer to my post in [Slash Series] Kuroko no Basket thread for images I shared and short explanation for my obsession with this pairing.
  • I'd like to imagine myself often times as a guy, mainly a gay guy who's a Seme. Then, I like to top my boyfriend while I'm at it.

/Censored imagination running
    /Drools

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I cant imagine embarrassment from seeing bl yaoi images on a phone, I think. Though maybe if it were those photoshops of real actors from movies and tv shows.

Baby_Sariel

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Forgive me Please. I really want these cute shotas getting forced by old guys. Lol. That is my fav yaoi manga.