Hangout - Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02] | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02]

Meijin no Kori

Okay, this is the discussion thread for all you lovers of the HxH manga (like me). To start things off, here's some info about the series to those who are new to it:

Summary version 1:
Many people in the world aspire to be hunters, for either the fame, wealth or special privileges. However, it is said that only one in hundreds of thousands can pass the test to be a qualified hunter. Gon’s journey to become such a hunter, and to find his father, who is acknowledged as the greatest hunter in the world, begins. Along the way, he befriends Killua, a member of a renowned assassin family, Kurapica, who is determined to become a Blacklist Hunter to capture the criminals responsible for his tribe’s deaths, and Lerio, who aspires to be a doctor.
v2:
In an alternate world, there are terrible creatures and vast lands and treasures to explore. Resulting from this, there are constant threats to humanity, and those people that contain these threats are called hunters.

Gon is a small boy on a small island, who has been taken care of his aunt ever since his father left him to become a hunter. But like all young children, Gon has big ambitions, and sets out on a great journey to become a hunter, and to find the dad he never met.

Expect lots of slapstick humor and thrilling action in this lighthearted manga about a young boy taking his first steps into the grand world.
Details About The Series: Ongoing at 22 or 23 volumes (at about 255 chapters). However, the author is sick, thus causing there to be long breaks between some of the chapters and the art quality of some of the later chapters to be poor.
It's also a Shonen manga, so ages 13 and up.

Where to Get It:
IRC:
#lurk@irc.irchighway.net (Packlist: http://gotlurk.net/)

Direct Download:
www.stoptazmo.com

NOTICE

Currently the manga is on hiatus for indefinite period of time. The mangaka, Yoshihiro Togashi, is currently on sick leave, which leave the manga on its hiatus state. As for the current time, there is no news about his condition, the date of when he will return or whether he will continue the manga or not.

As for now, please don't keep asking when he will return as there is absolutely no news about that.

MangaHelpers

Now Sentient!
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]76884[/split]

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

Alright, comparing two different series can lead to conflict. But as a writer I like to see why something works in one series but not so much in another. I know it's easy to say "my favorite author is the best writer so that's why" but that's just an opinion and it doesn't
explain WHY you have that opinion. The interesting thing about stories is they're just
as much about the audience as they are about the characters. Hence why some stories
get "outdated" and others which weren't originally notable become cult classics.

Anyhow, once again the comparison is of course Hunter x Hunter and yep...Naruto.
More specifically I like to look at two characters from each series:

Gon Freecss

vs

Sasuke Uchiha.

Oh brother. Here we go again. But seriously there's something I've been thinking about.
And that is why does it seem that Gon is the more sympathetic character particularly
in the Chimera Ant Arc while arguably Sasuke has gone through far worse than Gon has?

I mean let's consider...

Gon was abandoned by his father, doesn't know his biological mom and his mentor
Kite was killed right before his eyes by a Chimera Ant humanoid monster.

Sasuke is one of the few survivors of the Uchiha massacre. Because the Uchiha
practically lived in isolation this would mean most of the people Sasuke knew then--died.
Sasuke not only watched his own brother kill his parents but was forced to visual
relive the scene several times over.

Now I will say that the hate for Pitou and the hate for Itachi was probably about the same.
A lot of us wanted to see Pitou get crushed and a lot of us wanted to see Itachi get toast.

Of course things get more complicated in Naruto when we find out that Konoha had
ordered Itachi to wipe out the Uchiha clan as to avoid war.

And yet perhaps it's just me but it seems that while Gon gets a lot of support
even when he puts a third party like Komugi in danger (I don't think Gon supporters
approve of Gon's actions there but they still LIKE Gon.)...

Sasuke gets hate for wanting to destroy Konoha despite them being responsible
for the death of practically his entire clan.

Now yes you can argue that the Uchiha massacre was a necessary evil
but could you not also argue that Chimera Ants need to eat?
If we say Chimera Ants are not allowed to eat humans because
it's wrong to eat humans than why can't cows say humans
are not allowed to eat them because they think it's wrong to eat cows?

But going back to Gon and Sasuke.
It seems to me that we should feel more empathic towards Sasuke and yet we don't.
Now I'm not saying that I do because I don't. But I was wondering WHY that is.

Why in spite of all the times Sasuke has been used and discarded like a dirty tissue
while much of Gon's problems are the direct result of his own impulse and selfishness
that we are more driven to cheer for Gon?

Why is that the "worse" Sasuke's life gets the less we care about his story?

Post your thoughts!

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

But going back to Gon and Sasuke.
It seems to me that we should feel more empathic towards Sasuke and yet we don't.
Now I'm not saying that I do because I don't. But I was wondering WHY that is.

Why in spite of all the times Sasuke has been used and discarded like a dirty tissue
while much of Gon's problems are the direct result of his own impulse and selfishness
that we are more driven to cheer for Gon?

Why is that the "worse" Sasuke's life gets the less we care about his story?

Post your thoughts!

I felt really bad for Sasuke in the beginning. And then he started screwing up and disregarding people that genuinely tried to help him. That was his own fault and I honestly couldn't deal with his tantrums anymore. That's keeping in mind I'm probably a good 30-40 chapters behind the manga atm.

I felt horrible for Gon when he lost Kite (Kaito?) but was taken aback at his decisions towards Komugi (though it could've been much, much worse). I also think his words to Killua was a set up for the future. I wouldn't really compare Gon to Sasuke though. Gon is more like a more innocent and kinder Naruto, not Sasuke. I would compare Kurapika to Sasuke though (maybe Killua a bit), especially since I think Kurapika is heading down the same 'revenge > all' road.

Also, Gon hasn't hurt anyone (well, maybe aside from Killua) on purpose or out of spite. He frequently underestimates his opponents but he doesn't try to bring trouble on to himself all the time.

To sum up "Why I don't feels as bad for Sasuke as I do for Gon" is because Sasuke is a prick that has been rejecting anyone and everyone that tried to help simply because he has a giant ego. Gon doesn't and doesn't let things get to him. The one time he did (Kaito's death) he annihilated his opponent with fair warning. And even though he hurt Killua's feelings, he still apologized to everyone post war, including his father (whom didn't even know what was going on).

Last edited:

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

I felt really bad for Sasuke in the beginning. And then he started screwing up and disregarding people that genuinely tried to help him. That was his own fault and I honestly couldn't deal with his tantrums anymore. That's keeping in mind I'm probably a good 30-40 chapters behind the manga atm.

I felt horrible for Gon when he lost Kite (Kaito?) but was taken aback at his decisions towards Komugi (though it could've been much, much worse). I also think his words to Killua was a set up for the future. I wouldn't really compare Gon to Sasuke though. Gon is more like a more innocent and kinder Naruto, not Sasuke. I would compare Kurapika to Sasuke though (maybe Killua a bit), especially since I think Kurapika is heading down the same 'revenge > all' road.

Also, Gon hasn't hurt anyone (well, maybe aside from Killua) on purpose or out of spite. He frequently underestimates his opponents but he doesn't try to bring trouble on to himself all the time.

To sum up "Why I don't feels as bad for Sasuke as I do for Gon" is because Sasuke is a prick that has been rejecting anyone and everyone that tried to help simply because he has a giant ego. Gon doesn't and doesn't let things get to him. The one time he did (Kaito's death) he annihilated his opponent with fair warning. And even though he hurt Killua's feelings, he still apologized to everyone post war, including his father (whom didn't even know what was going on).
Kurapika vs Sasuke is the obvious comparison. I wanted to do something different.

Also I strongly disagree that Gon is a nicer and kinder Naruto.

Really it's the opposite. Naruto is the nicer and kinder version of Gon.

So it would be Sasuke's ego that's the big difference?
Makes sense. I mean Gon has an ego himself (just look at Greed Island if that's not ego I don't know what is.) but Gon has the sense to know his own limits. Sasuke doesn't.

Another question on the subject (which was what got me thinking about it)

Gon and Sasuke have a similar scene where they have a sudden burst of power while they scream in rage.

Gon when seeing Pitou heal Komugi and Sasuke when Danzo had him trapped and was about to kill him.

Both are powered by their hatred and rage and yet Gon's scene is so much more powerful.
Why?

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

Gon's priority was to kill Pitou had she failed to resurrect Kite , he could have decided not to fight her after this. He had limits, he decided to stop and face Youpi despite being entirely focused on Pitou since the beginning. Even if he has threatened to kill Komugi and I am sure he would have effectively killed her, he didn't want to get his friends involved, he helped them somehow even by being stuck with Pitou most of the time during the invasion, he cared about Palm all this time despite his focus on revenge too. For him, his revenge was personal and he said this to Killua the first time.

I don't hate Sasuke. His story is tragic, yes but he became more of a jerk over time. He became more and more selfish, didn't respect his big bro's last will and planned to kill the entire village for compensation. The scene with him stabbing Karin, who did so much for him after using her as a pawn is still stuck in my head(not that I didn't find it awesome). Gon and Kurapika would never do this.

A lot of us wanted to see Pitou get crushed and a lot of us wanted to see Itachi get toast.
Really? I thought Itachi was more popular than him.

SHINOBI-03

Reaction score

Really it's the opposite. Naruto is the nicer and kinder version of Gon.
Now that I think about it, yeah... Naruto is nicer and kinder than Gon! Sure he may be a jerk and an attention wh0re, but at least he knows the obvious right and wrong and he have morals. Gon doesn't think of right or wrong, he just thinks of what he likes regardless of others.

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01] - Part 1

Interesting. Seems like my view of Gon is strikingly different. I'm sticking with it though since I definitely like Gon more than I think I've ever liked Naruto (and I do like him), and since for the sake of this conversation I'm comparing Gon to young!Naruto, and not the current Naruto. When talking about Gon vs. Sasuke I'm also comparing Gon to young!Sasuke but when talking about Sasuke's development, I take the whole series into account.

Another thing though... Looking at the scene where Gon is fighting Pitou, looking at his eyes made me think that Gon was completely broken on the inside and maybe even regretting his decision and confused by the whole situation. My heart really went out to him at that point because it really felt like he felt that this whole mess was caused by him (not that it wasn't, but also not 100% his fault). Whenever Sasuke fought (except for that parting fight with Naruto, which imho was 100% fueled by feelings of desperation) he seemed to be completely fueled by vengeance, spite and hatred. It got old really fast and even when everything was seemingly straightened out with Itachi nothing really changed. Which means that virtually any issues with Sasuke are self inflicted. Unlike Sasuke, Gon doesn't go around looking for friends to disappoint to prove his own self worth. Most of Gon's actions were fueled by want to find Ging and almost every arc was him being side tracked by the needs of his friends and other people he met.

In conclusion, I think Gon > Sasuke and Gon > Naruto.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

Now that I think about it, yeah... Naruto is nicer and kinder than Gon! Sure he may be a jerk and an attention wh0re, but at least he knows the obvious right and wrong and he have morals. Gon doesn't think of right or wrong, he just thinks of what he likes regardless of others.
Everytime I hear someone say Gon is a nice guy I am reminded of Heavens Arena.

You know I think the reason Gon would make such a great friend is because he's NOT a nice guy.
He's the kind of guy who would kick all sorts of ass for the sake of his friends.

Zoro Zoldyck

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Iraq
It's nice of him to apologize.. But hopefully he really does his best and continues without another hiatus..
oh who am I kidding

Riyuki

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly he can take as many as he wants as long as he still produces absolutely phenomenal story writing. I think all of the hype and love for the most recent anime episode will give him a huge sense of motivation. I mean seriously.... it HAD to have made him unbelievably proud of his series with episode 131. It's honestly the greatest form of anime I have ever experienced before.

The only episode and moment made by Togashi that comes close is when Yusuke says "It feels weird having a heart that doesnt beat, though." and then Hiei and Kurama burst out laughing hysterically, while the entire main cast of YYH stands up together with that epic background art with Sensui facing them. I seriously want to learn japanese and fly out to Japan just so I can shake Togashi's hand and say "Arigato".

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate how whenever Oda takes a break people are so quick to defend him and you know what they should. But when Togashi takes a break it MUST be because he's lazy and doesn't care. Did you know that Togashi is 48 years old? Do you know what happens when people are 48 years old? They get health problems! And just so you know Oda and Kishimoto are both 39 while Kubo is 36.

Now I'm not saying that every time Togashi takes a break it's because of health
but if he says he has health problems then let's just take his word for it.
We give the benefit of the doubt to every other mangaka. Give Togashi a break.

Great storytelling isn't just "cranked out" people. It takes time.

Riyuki

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be praying every time I check for manga spoilers here that the words I see are (any of the following) :

Spider(s)
Troupe
Kurapika
Chrollo
<any troupe member's name>

I will freak the hell out if this ever happens! I re-read the chapters when the troupe defends meteor city today, and when Phinks looked into the sky and said "I hate waiting.... " after finding out it was Nobunaga, not Chrollo, on the phone... it really made me feel the EXACT same way, haha. I also realized that I never noticed something.. when Killua's sister, the troupe member (little girl with paper, forgot name sorry), says "I have to become the 2nd best.. to save my brother" and the Zoldyck family photo is shown... who was she referring to saving? Thanks for any feedback.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I will be praying every time I check for manga spoilers here that the words I see are (any of the following) :

Spider(s)
Troupe
Kurapika
Chrollo

I will freak the hell out if this ever happens! I re-read the chapters when the troupe defends meteor city today, and when Phinks looked into the sky and said "I hate waiting.... " after finding out it was Nobunaga, not Chrollo, on the phone... it really made me feel the EXACT same way, haha. I also realized that I never noticed something.. when Killua's sister, the troupe member (little girl with paper, forgot name sorry), says "I have to become the 2nd best.. to save my brother" and the Zoldyck family photo is shown... who was she referring to saving? Thanks for any feedback.
Kalluto is a guy. We don't know exactly what he is thinking but the Zoldyck relationship chart shows that Kalluto is jealous of Alluka so he must want more of Killua's affection or something like that, he was probably talking about him. We never saw him interact with Killua so their relationship is a mystery.

Txapeldun

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Spider(s)
Troupe
Kurapika
Chrollo
That would make the spolier fake with a 99% accuracy.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i dont think we'll be hearing from the spiders any time soon.

Zoro Zoldyck

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Iraq
I hate how whenever Oda takes a break people are so quick to defend him and you know what they should. But when Togashi takes a break it MUST be because he's lazy and doesn't care. Did you know that Togashi is 48 years old? Do you know what happens when people are 48 years old? They get health problems! And just so you know Oda and Kishimoto are both 39 while Kubo is 36.

Now I'm not saying that every time Togashi takes a break it's because of health
but if he says he has health problems then let's just take his word for it.
We give the benefit of the doubt to every other mangaka. Give Togashi a break.

Great storytelling isn't just "cranked out" people. It takes time.
I agree with this.. But I still made that post lol

I know what you mean, but waiting two years is a bit too much :/
It is what it is though and we all love HXH and that's why we're still here.
I'm hopeful this time he'll make more chapters than usual