Shounen - Magi by Shinobu Ohtaka | Page 15 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Magi by Shinobu Ohtaka

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Interesting observation :) Actually -dono is typical for Kou imperial family characters (e.x. Hakuei uses it when she address to Kouen, Koumei when he address to Hakuei or her brothers). But I agree, it's kinda associated with Hakuryuu since he's one of the MCs and had more screentime than Hakuei and Koumei together :p And how could you forget about Aladdin's 'oji-san'? For me, it's the word that belongs only to him :XD
Hakuryuu also uses dono when talking to basically anyone. I can't remember if Hakuei does the same, but yeah she barely appears anyway.

When it comes to Aladdin, yeah I think he only uses kun for young male characters (Alibaba Haku Titus etc...) and Ugo, but those are the people he calls out to the most :XD

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Here's an interesting tidbit about Aladdin's honorifics: he calls Sinbad and Kouen oji-san=uncles, but refers to Jafar and Koumei as onii-san=brothers, here's a good example:

I wonder if that would change now that Jafar and Mei hit thirty.
I think there's gonna be a joke on that now that Kouen is older. Maybe this time Kouen will not take it so lightly that he called him that?

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
@Hayatempest, yeah, I find it funny, since there's only 2 years difference between Kou bros. But if you cover Kouen's goatee with your hand you could see, he looks a bit younger without it (that may be the reason why Sinbad thought he's younger that En when they've met first). And honestly, I don't think anything will change after this time skip. Aladdin's older too after all ;) But it doesn't mean I don't want to see Mei and Ja'far reactions if Aladdin will do so. Also it would be funny,
if he start to call Kouen 'grandpa' because En looks much older than 30 years old man :XD

@airmattress, seeing Kouen's reaction in this chapter, I think it's really possible he won't take it so lightly ;)

souske

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've noticed Hakuryuu calls Hakuei and his brothers 'aneue' instead of nee-san.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I've noticed Hakuryuu calls Hakuei and his brothers 'aneue' instead of nee-san.
Aneue is just more formal (and archaic) than "nee-san". With him using "dono" that proves that he usually uses more formal speech.
And it's Aniue for his brothers. Aneue is for girls only.

Ryuusu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Magi chapters 293 and 294 are up on sense scans now.

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Magi chapters 293 and 294 are up on sense scans now.
Yay!

Now if only they would also catch up to SnB
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
We were discussing whether magi would get to chapter 400 or not in another thread, and it made me think how cool it would be if Ohtaka managed to pull 1001 total chapters. I mean it sounds outrageous but thing about it, if both Magi and SnB get to 400 chapters each, all it would take is another spinoff or something and that number is more than achievable.

Ryuusu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yay!

Now if only they would also catch up to SnB
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
We were discussing whether magi would get to chapter 400 or not in another thread, and it made me think how cool it would be if Ohtaka managed to pull 1001 total chapters. I mean it sounds outrageous but thing about it, if both Magi and SnB get to 400 chapters each, all it would take is another spinoff or something and that number is more than achievable.
I think that at least 400 chapters is definitely a possibility since Ohtaka is taking it rather slow at the moment (not that I'm complaining since that hopefully means it will last longer unless she pulls another Alma Toran pacing on us).
What kind of new spinoff would you like to see? Assuming that things end peacefully, I want to see one revolved around what happens in the magi word after the final arc.

MArGi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
France
I think that at least 400 chapters is definitely a possibility since Ohtaka is taking it rather slow at the moment (not that I'm complaining since that hopefully means it will last longer unless she pulls another Alma Toran pacing on us).
What kind of new spinoff would you like to see? Assuming that things end peacefully, I want to see one revolved around what happens in the magi word after the final arc.
A Kou spin off! ^^ of before the Hakus' deaths. Doesn't have to be as long as SnB but I want to know more about their past and see their interactions.
But I also am very interested in what happens after the end of most mangas so that would be great too!

Hll

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
A continuation, if this series goes that way, my personal preference;

An all out battle over Alibaba and Kougyoku's kids and Hakuryuu and Morgianas kids, over who gets to rule the Kou Empire​
No seriously both of these couples kids, would have too much individual legitimacy for such a battle to not take place.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I'm prolly the only one who wants to see Ohtaka put the final nail in the Magi coffin, and not try to resurrect the series.

I don't think it's in the series own interest to continue to drag till let's say 1001 chapters, or have multiple spinoffs. The SnB one while it can be good suffers from similar pacing problems as the main series(Madaura arc). So it's not that interesting to see the series continue after the main one and the SnB one are over.

kurokishinjitsu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
If anyone is interested - 4th edition of Meikyuu Tanbou, Magi-only doujin event was announced. Cover poster was drawn by Yusura Nagi from Vital*Songs circle(she made quite a lot of doujinshi with Magi combi, Daten combi and SinJu):
I hope more content will appear, recently it feels like doujin market is dead.

MArGi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
France
If anyone is interested - 4th edition of Meikyuu Tanbou, Magi-only doujin event was announced. Cover poster was drawn by Yusura Nagi from Vital*Songs circle(she made quite a lot of doujinshi with Magi combi, Daten combi and SinJu):
I hope more content will appear, recently it feels like doujin market is dead.
:nowei thanks so much for sharing, I am constantly looking for Magi-related events!

Reactions: Hll

Hll

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
:nowei thanks so much for sharing, I am constantly looking for Magi-related events!
If they allow cameras in these sort of events,would you mind taking some pictures, I really loved some of the coplays that you saw last time, though pity you could not get...Koumei?(I am sorry my memory is a bit weak, getting old and all.),I think that everyone would love to see what a Magi doujinshi event will look like.

kurokishinjitsu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
If they allow cameras in these sort of events,would you mind taking some pictures, I really loved some of the coplays that you saw last time, though pity you could not get...Koumei?(I am sorry my memory is a bit weak, getting old and all.),I think that everyone would love to see what a Magi doujinshi event will look like.
They don't allow to make a photos of circle spaces, only in special cosplay zones, you can make a group photo or stuff like this. Most of them are posted on twitter later, with tags like Meikyuu Tanbou or Senya Ichijinsha(I could be wrong with this one). It looks simmilar to Comicket spaces, artists have their own tables and fair shares of books/goods they want to sell.

Ryuusu

Reaction score
Country
United States
A Kou spin off! ^^ of before the Hakus' deaths. Doesn't have to be as long as SnB but I want to know more about their past and see their interactions.
But I also am very interested in what happens after the end of most mangas so that would be great too!
I was going to say Kou spinoff as well at first but I'm already seeing such a spinoff concentrating mainly on war which isn't highly interesting to me to be honest...

Although being able to see a living Hakuren (seemed like the kind of sweet dork I would have loved) and more of little Hakuryuu would melt my heart :')

And then shatter it into pieces knowing it all goes horribly wrong.

Last edited:

souske

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they allow cameras in these sort of events,would you mind taking some pictures,
Speaking about pictures, I can't believe no one has ever taken pictures of Ohtaka, I really want to see what she looks like.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Speaking about pictures, I can't believe no one has ever taken pictures of Ohtaka, I really want to see what she looks like.
She looks like Budel. :kappa

I think her avatar is supposed to look like her, so she has short wavy hair.

And eyes filled with malice.