One Piece Awards 2016 - Info and Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

One Piece Awards 2016 - Info and Discussion Thread

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Welcome to One Piece Awards 2016

A special award for fans of One Piece to nominate and vote for what we think is the best in One Piece!

After a long 4-year break of One Piece Awards, we are finally back!

Through the years, we have many new people joining us, including the new team of moderators, as well as old members re-joining the forum, we have decided to revive our long lost One Piece Awards since it first held. Aren't you excited for it? :^_^

In this thread, it will be a place for us to hangout and discuss general topics related to the event, and to express our thoughts, ideas, impressions and feedback throughout the entire event.

One Piece Awards consist of "Nomination" phase and "Voting" phase which allow us to nominate and vote for a particular character, scene, arc, place, etc, which we think is the "best" and "favourite" or even the "worst" and "least favourite."

Here's an overview of the Awards:

Award Format
The event consists of two phases: A nomination phase and a voting phase, each consisting of one week, with one-day break in between for administrative reasons. There are 25 different categories for you to nominate and vote in.

Nomination Phase (26th November - 2nd December 2016): You will make your nominations in the category threads. If a nominee has already been nominated before, you are allowed to simply state your support for that nomination to show your interest, build up hype and campaign for that nomination.

Break (3rd December 2016): For administrative reasons.

Voting Phase (4th December - 10th December 2016): A poll is created for all the nominations and we, the fans of One Piece, will have one week to decide what to vote for and convince as many as we can to support our votes to make the "nominees" we support turn out victorious.

Results and Sharing (11th December - 13th December 2016): After the Voting Phase has concluded, we will tabulate and post the results of the "winner" for all the categories. At the same time, we can share our thoughts of the individual category.

Final Discussion and Sharing (11th - 17th December 2016): This thread will remain open for further discussion and sharing of thoughts and feedback of the event. We also welcome suggestions and ideas for the next Award.

Nomination Info - "How to Nominate"
You may nominate three (3) entries in each category. During the nomination phase, you can change your nomination. However, please do put up a new post stating your change instead of editing your previous post. This is to avoid confusion to all participants and for ease of administrative purposes.

For the nomination phase to run smoothly and to avoid situations where nominations are omitted or included by accident, please state your nominations clearly. It is preferable to highlight your nominations with bold red text. Please also explain or state the reasons of your nomination.

For example: "I nominate <insert nominees> for <insert category>," followed by an explanation or reasons of your nomination.

Voting Info - "How to Vote"
Once the nomination phase is over and the polls are made, the voting phase begins. Please bear in mind that once you have voted, the count will be final. Therefore, please do think carefully before casting your votes. You may like to discuss ideas and opinion with other participants before voting. Think and choose wisely will be the key.

The following is the 25 categories for the One Piece Awards 2016:

1. Best Death
2. Best Quote
3. Best Character Design
4. Favorite Group (Crew, Organization, Group, Team, etc.)
5. Favorite Location / Place
6. Favorite Arc / Storyline
7. Favorite Battle
8. Funniest Moment
9. Most Dramatic / Emotional Moment
10. Most Surprising / Shocking Moment / Plot Twist

11. Favorite Devil Fruit
12. Favorite Non-Devil Fruit Ability
13. Favorite Female Character
14. Favorite Male Character
15. Funniest Character
16. Most Over-rated Character
17. Most Under-rated Character
18. Least Favorite Character
19. Least Favorite Arc / Storyline
20. Least Favorite Moment
21. Least Favorite Battle

22. Best Parents
23. Worst Parents
24. Best Ruler / King (of a country or nation)
25. Worst Ruler / King (of a country or nation)

If you have any questions, please feel free to post in this thread or send a PM to me - @ProGoddess, @zetsu banned or @desin24.

We hope all of us will have a fun time and enjoy the event together, and mark a special memory in our nice and cozy One Piece Family.

Let's begin our One Piece Awards 2016!
:confetti

Last edited:

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
I have an idea for the next award, to include a new category -or maybe two-: Best Colorspread and it's counterpart.
I know this is also for those watching the anime, but as some openings are included works of Oda, it could serve as a propose for the ones watching it, to indentify where they came from. Another reason is that Oda loves to make them and it's plenty for choosing three as favorites.

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Thank you for the nominations, guys! The threads are now closed for us to work on. Hope to see you on Sunday, when the vote begins!

I have an idea for the next award, to include a new category -or maybe to-: Best Colorspread and it's counterpart.
I know this is also for those watching the anime, but as some openings are included works of Oda, it could serve as a propose for the ones watching it, to indentify where they came from. Another reason is that Oda loves to make them and it's plenty for choosing three as favorites.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll see to note it down somewhere where it's hopefully found next time Awards come up.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Nooooo I'm too late!
I wanted to change my favourite character's nomination :(
Nobody nominated Fujitora :biblethump

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
How much are you willing to pay?

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
0 belis =)

If nobody nominated him, i don't think he would go very far in the competition anyway. I just like him a lot as a character and probably more than the guys i nominated insteadd. It is just my bad :P
The poor guy receives no love :(

HereNThere

Movin' on up like George and Weezy
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
0 belis =)

If nobody nominated him, i don't think he would go very far in the competition anyway. I just like him a lot as a character and probably more than the guys i nominated insteadd. It is just my bad :P
The poor guy receives no love :(
Give him a bit more time. I'm sure he's well liked, but I don't think he's a top favorite for a lot of fans just yet.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Well that's too bad, because

I'm certainly not going to edit the poll a second time.
Don't worry, i didn't ask for that =)

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't even finish all my nominations; real life sucks :bored. I hope some of favourite characters win, otherwise we're gonna reset the whole thing! :allthe

#votezoroeverywhere

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
I didn't even finish all my nominations; real life sucks :bored. I hope some of favourite characters win, otherwise we're gonna reset the whole thing! :allthe

#votezoroeverywhere
I got you dude, i'll vote for Zoro !
In the most overrated character section =)

Nah, i might vote for him as one of the funniest character.
I'm having trouble voting for the Strawhats because i feel like i like them too much due to their screentime and overall abundance of funny moments.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Vote, vote to your heart's content! It won't be an easy decision, but at least we have more to offer than pestilence and cholera *cough*

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it was accidental, so you guys might wonna know that the results for the 'Least favorite character' category is visible...unless it's a special privilege for me in which case feel free to leave it :hee

Also it would have been helpful if we had the English names of the devil fruits in brackets 'cause trying to find Enel's devil fruit in that list was difficult....especially since it was called Goto Goto no mi instead of Goro Goro. I was googling 'Goto Goto One Piece' like who the hell had this shit.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
I think it was accidental, so you guys might wonna know that the results for the 'Least favorite character' category is visible...unless it's a special privilege for me in which case feel free to leave it :hee

Also it would have been helpful if we had the English names of the devil fruits in brackets 'cause trying to find Enel's devil fruit in that list was difficult....especially since it was called Goto Goto no mi instead of Goro Goro. I was googling 'Goto Goto One Piece' like who the hell had this shit.
Thanks a bunch, that somehow slipped through :D
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The voting phase is over and the votes have been counted. Some results may come as a surprise but overall it's probably more of the expected results.
The award for the worst ruler 2016 goes to Wapol. His rule on Drum was truely bad, may he never reign again. His toy production on the other hand is worth a mention. The contrary case is found in Alabasta, where Cobra Nefeltari wins the award for the best ruler. Vivi and the whole country can be proud of him, what a role model.
A relative newcomer, Judge Vinsmoke stormed to your hearts taking the award for... worst parent. I'm not sure he'll like to hear that. Let's wait with telling him until after the wedding. Alas, the best parent receives their award posthumous. It's Bell-mère who raised Nami and Nojiko to the wonderful persons they are today, even giving her life for them.
The least favourite battle of the 2016 awards was Luffy vs Hody Jones, one of the battles of the Strawhats vs the New Fishman Pirates that came in close second. Your least favourite moment turned out to be Usopp running vs Trebol / Sugar. While the storyline of Fishman Island is the most disliked. The least liked character is relatively young and seeing that the arc revolving around her wrapped up hardly got a chance for retibution. It's Rebecca walking away with this title.
Usopp is regarded as the most underrated character, a dubious honor, but at least he doesn't have to share like the overrated trio of Luffy, Zoro and the Seaking that bit off Shanks' arm. The latter still wonders what he's doing on that list. What, you don't think this presentation is funny? Heresy! Well, good thing we get to the funniest character now, it's no one else than Bartolomeo himself. Hehahaha. Far from overrated, MH's favourite male character 2016 is Zoro, while your favourite female characters were Hancock and Robin. I'd have a difficult time deciding between the two of them as well.
The award for the favourite non-devil fruit ability goes to a pool of various swordstyles mostly, if not entirely, belonging to Zoro. The results for favourite devil fruit might shock you though, it's going to Ener's Goro Goro no Mi. Sizzling.
With that we're entering the territory of favourite moments. The nominations as well as the voting results in this category show just how good a manga One Piece is. So without further ado, the most surprising moments awarded this year are Sabo's return and Duval's true identity. The most emotional moment goes to the final performance of the Rumbar Pirates and Robin declaring she wants to live. If you don't remember those, what manga were you reading? Either way, the most contested award 2016 shows how good the comedy in One Piece is. We have a whole lot of five funniest moments: 5 stars Usopp, the Sogeking song, Zoro asking Saint Charloss "Do you need directions?", Chopper above Law's hat and the death of Ryuunosuke, the painted dragon.
The decision for favourite battle was a lot less controversial and with Luffy vs Lucci a good old battle won, while the best storyline award goes to Marineford. Water 7 still is the most awesome place in the world of One Piece after all those years. Unsurprisingly, the Strawhat Pirates as protagonists of the story won the award for favourite group. The best character design is shared by two real badasses, Mihawk and Kaido. Neither of them is responsible for the best quote though, that award goes to Zoro for saying "Have you ever met a beast that you could be sure would never bite." Congratulations Zoro. And last but not least, the award for best death goes to Whitebeard.

Thank you all for nominating, voting and also pointing out mistakes here and there. It's been a lot of fun!
Feel free to discuss the results, the forum will stay live for a while longer.

1. Best Death Whitebeard
2. Best Quote Zoro: "Have you ever met a beast that you could be sure would never bite."
3. Best Character Design Mihawk; Kaido
4. Favorite Group Straw Hat Pirates
5. Favorite Location / Place Water 7
6. Favorite Arc / Storyline Marineford
7. Favorite Battle Luffy vs Lucci
8. Funniest Moment 5 stars Usopp; Sogeking song; Zoro asking Saint Charloss "Do you need directions?"; Chopper above Law's hat; Ryuunosuke (painted dragon)´s death
9. Most Dramatic / Emotional Moment Final performance of the Rumbar Pirates /Robin declaring she wants to live
10. Most Surprising / Shocking Moment / Plot Twist Sabo's return; Duval's true identity

11. Favorite Devil Fruit Ener's Goro Goro no Mi
12. Favorite Non-Devil Fruit Ability Sword Styles
13. Favorite Female Character Hancock; Robin
14. Favorite Male Character Zoro
15. Funniest Character Bartolomeo
16. Most Over-rated Character Luffy; Zoro; Seaking that bit Shanks' arm off
17. Most Under-rated Character Usopp
18. Least Favorite Character Rebecca
19. Least Favorite Arc / Storyline Fishman Island
20. Least Favorite Moment Usopp running vs Trebol / Sugar
21. Least Favorite Battle Luffy vs Hody Jones

22. Best Parents Bell-mère
23. Worst Parents Judge Vinsmoke
24. Best Ruler / King (of a country or nation) Cobra Nefeltari
25. Worst Ruler / King (of a country or nation) Wapol

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can't say I'm not dissapointed that Roger didn't win anything but these results certainly are unexpected for some categories.

HereNThere

Movin' on up like George and Weezy
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations Rebecca. You definitely deserve it.

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Given One Piece's 10 years of publication this year I feel like the awards can be see a little bit as a reflection of One Piece's history. It would be easy to say that many of the "favorite moments/characters" are older while quite a few of the least favorite ones are from newer arcs but I think there's a little more to it.
You have funny moments all throughout the story and it obviously was and is a strong point. In regards to other parts of the story I'm sure nostalgia takes a part in the results too while the other more recent stuff stays quite in front of our minds when it comes to stuff that we didn't like.

Freid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think a good category for the next awards could be 'Most attractive female'. Hancock might think she's the most beautiful but I'm sure Robin, Nami, Vivi and lots of the other female characters won't be beaten so easily and would definitely give her a run for her money.