Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 117 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The saddest part is that even things that seem like they have higher chances of succeeding still seem to fail nowadays. I'm not saying that they're refusing to animate their successful series. I think it might be an overall issue that Shogakukan has with all of it's magazines, their properties seem to struggle to get adaptations while I see plenty of Shueisha and Kodansha series getting adaptations all the time, I can't say for sure what the issue is, but it is sort of weird.

Edit 1: When I say things work out, I mostly wanted to say that the anime does happen, it is made. But it still most likely won't be successful, which is sad.

Edit 2: I think there is some sort of issue with Shogakukan magazines for whatever reason. Edit 3: Now that I think of it, I think it ties into how bad Shogakukan are at advertising. They need to step up their online advertisement game as a first step.
I do agree that Shogakukan needs to utilize the internet better than they have been. That is not only a fair point but a very good one. I don't think it's going to be the silver bullet that saves them, but it can certainly help.

And I've pinpointed the issue, lol. Shueisha adaptions especially have a huge return for their investment due to the jump brand being basically worth it's weight in gold. Even if a series underperforms after getting an anime, it's still getting a pretty decent return. Kodansha is a little less so, but they're much more aggressive online nowadays, which again I agree that Shogakukan needs to be. To be fair they also don't have ongoing anime like Shueisha does --more seasonal things and then gaps. Shueisha's always got One Piece and Naruto running, and Shogakukan always has Conan. So Kodansha at least doesn't have that one series that's always being animated like the other two, and with the way anime is produced now, I don't think they will at this point. Though yes, Jump can afford to have adaptions for everything because everything does really well. For whatever reason, Shogakukan anime adaptions either do poorly or just "eh", and there's where the problem lies, but I don't think anyone really has an answer or solution to it. It's not a problem of the adaptions not being good as some of them are, so whaere's the disconnect?

re edit 1: It happens when all involved parties agree it will. If one backs out, it doesn't. Though I guess even without a broadcaster that OVA's can be made, and tbh those are more profitable than TV runs.

re edit 2: Again it's because most shogakukan adaptions don't sell well or cause manga boosts. If I'm an enterprising producer, I'm going to check the resume of the person I'm thinking of going into business with. If the best they've done in recent memory is "Okay" I'm going to be a lot more reluctant to do business with them, opposed to another company who has been a superstar producing one hit after another. We might watch anime for fun, but to these folks it's business and money talks.

cody

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I do agree that Shogakukan needs to utilize the internet better than they have been. That is not only a fair point but a very good one. I don't think it's going to be the silver bullet that saves them, but it can certainly help.

And I've pinpointed the issue, lol. Shueisha adaptions especially have a huge return for their investment due to the jump brand being basically worth it's weight in gold. Even if a series underperforms after getting an anime, it's still getting a pretty decent return. Kodansha is a little less so, but they're much more aggressive online nowadays, which again I agree that Shogakukan needs to be. To be fair they also don't have ongoing anime like Shueisha does --more seasonal things and then gaps. Shueisha's always got One Piece and Naruto running, and Shogakukan always has Conan. So Kodansha at least doesn't have that one series that's always being animated like the other two, and with the way anime is produced now, I don't think they will at this point. Though yes, Jump can afford to have adaptions for everything because everything does really well. For whatever reason, Shogakukan anime adaptions either do poorly or just "eh", and there's where the problem lies, but I don't think anyone really has an answer or solution to it. It's not a problem of the adaptions not being good as some of them are, so whaere's the disconnect?

re edit 1: It happens when all involved parties agree it will. If one backs out, it doesn't. Though I guess even without a broadcaster that OVA's can be made, and tbh those are more profitable than TV runs.

re edit 2: Again it's because most shogakukan adaptions don't sell well or cause manga boosts. If I'm an enterprising producer, I'm going to check the resume of the person I'm thinking of going into business with. If the best they've done in recent memory is "Okay" I'm going to be a lot more reluctant to do business with them, opposed to another company who has been a superstar producing one hit after another. We might watch anime for fun, but to these folks it's business and money talks.
Kodansha have been impressing me lately, manga from a bunch of their magazines are getting adapted, they're doing a great job, so they're still fighting quite well against Shueisha. Kadokawa have also been doing great in the adaptation department for their various magazines and online publications.

Shogakukan really do need to increase their online presence and it will be baby steps from there.

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Last edited:

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Détective Conan : Zero Tea Time : 1 volume : 600 000.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Amuro too strong, it's not even a week yet

kengai

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
600k in only three days is great and it looks like the rumoured reprint within the first week was just announced.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue 37/38

Does anyone even read these anymore....I mean they're so late now that it's essentially easier (and less text dense) to read this thread that I really can't participate much in anymore due to me losing the ability to get Sunday early. I'm genuinely curious.

Also would the people who are much better tracking sales here want to give me a hand on that? I'd love to have a place on the blog for that stuff to give more well rounded Sunday impressions. If you're interested hit me up with a DM.

Xzone

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
I still read it, and I can now read komi opinion without spoiler.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Oricon charts, August 6-12:

Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time 1 - 250,825 copies

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
This is fantastic for any series really. I expect it to eventually end out around 550k on Oricon. The true test will be whether this continues for future volumes.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid Vol.3 PV

Tonikaku Cawaii Vol. 2 PV

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Tell Your Family You Eloped with Kenjirou Hata's Newest Manga Bonuses

Kenjirou Hata's latest manga series is Tonikaku Cawaii (Fly Me to the Moon/'Generally Cute') and it runs in Shogakukan's Weekly Shonen Sunday. Since it launched in February, the manga has since accumulated into two volumes, the second released on Friday with some unique bonus goods.
[...]
The second volume also includes a "totally usable wedding reply card" to match the first volume's bundled "totally usable marriage notification card." Both can be downloaded free of charge from Shogakukan's Web Sunday site.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...th-kenjirou-hata-newest-manga-bonuses/.135552

Beyond that is Hata yet again really going out of his way to interact and please fans on Twitter and preview some of the bonus stuff on there etc.

Last edited:

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
#40 :
Lead Color : Aozakura Bôei Daigakkô Monogatari
Color : Be Blues, Hoankan Evans no Uso : Dead or Love
Resume : Detective Conan

MangAniMY