Shounen - Samurai Usagi by Teppei Fukushima | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Samurai Usagi by Teppei Fukushima

Sexy Randal 105

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was looking and I realized there wasn't a thread for this greatly overlooked Jump series. Samurai Usagi started last year in Jump. For some reason, no one has bothered to scanlate this series even though it is a fighting series which is very unique and has lasted through the year (Although I don't know if it will last a lot longer due to the strong newcomers). This is the story synopsis taken from Wikipedia:

A jidaigeki ("period drama") revolving around a fifteen-year-old low-level samurai and his wife.

The manga portrays the Edo period from a low-level samurai's perspective, and is skeptical of the Samurai Code used by high-level samurai to impose norms and reinforce their own authority. The values of people the hero meets are deeply examined, bringing hidden aspect to light, which are used to poke fun, as plot twists, or occasionally as the source of conflict. This structure is supported by the extensive use of contemporary Japanese youth slang in dialogue. Generally, the story advances through the hero's monologues. The hero's serious monologues do not use slang to make a contrast with the dialogue of other characters.

Although Edo period customs are occasionally explained, for a manga dealing with samurai the swordsmanship portrayed in Samurai Usagi varies from actual sword-fighting techniques. Also, some samurai characters do not wear their hair in a topknot. Although it lacks in authenticity and accuracy, the flavor of the Edo period is preserved.

The hero and heroine being married from the beginning of the story is highly unusual for youth-oriented manga.
As you can see below, it has a pretty unique art style. I personally am very interested in this series, but nobody has been interested in it enough to scanlate it sadly. Maybe this will change.

Sample Images
And I apologize dor the large images. I don't know how to make them thumbnails.

added the spoiler tags for you. Spoiler tags [*spoiler]text/image/etc[*/spoiler] without the* ~koenosaki

Last edited by a moderator:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Well I have been following the raws untill recently (though I quitted)

but I got to say if someone might scanlate this then I would certainly read this.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if we could find anyone interested. Thanks for the spoiler tags by the way. Good idea.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I wonder if we could find anyone interested. Thanks for the spoiler tags by the way. Good idea.
Well I knew bomber d rufi did the first chapter translation but no Manga Editors were intrested. But you can always try for the request section (trans as scan)

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, it wasn't the full chapter. I didn't have the raw of the first chapter to link to either. Maybe you could help me out. I did do a request....no one responded.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember finding chp. 1 somewhere (its still on my HD) but couldn't find the time to translate it. (wish I could help but I'm finally on a roll doing Bo-bobo)

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's okay. I could understand if you never get around to it. It looks like it might die soon anyway. It's such a pity. I really wish someone picked this up. T_T

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
It's such an odd, quirky little series. I've been thinking that it doesn't really belong in Jump, but is more suited for a magazine like Morning. I've been reading the tankoubon, and it starts out going in one direction, but in the more recent ones I can almost see the manga-ka struggling to make it more Jump-like... but it doesn't really fit with the kind of story he's trying to tell in the beginning.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you read a lot of the raws? I really want to know what it's like if you could give an overview of plot and events. I don't really mind spoilers, because I'd doubting I will ever get to read it. T_T

Esc.

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Please if anyone has any tanko raws that they're willing to share with us, please scan them so we can translate and scanlate the series.

I really am interested in this series, It's such a pity that is was overlooked and underrated.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I've been reading the tankoubon, and it starts out going in one direction, but in the more recent ones I can almost see the manga-ka struggling to make it more Jump-like... but it doesn't really fit with the kind of story he's trying to tell in the beginning.
Please if anyone has any tanko raws that they're willing to share with us, please scan them so we can translate and scanlate the series.

I really am interested in this series, It's such a pity that is was overlooked and underrated.
Maybe if haya5h1 had time, he would be nice to scan the tanks for us?

but of course we can't force him but I have given up reading (if you call it that way, let's say looking) the raws because no scans/trans came out

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can always only find recent chapters. It's a shame. This is like the only big newer Jump series not being scanlated.

caesarpk

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
so no one have scan/translated this series at all? I would be best if there were raws. Maybe you should surf 2ch for anyone who has the raws or buy the tankobon yourself and scan them. It looks pretty good, so if no one is interested in it I can trans for 1 ch. per week pace

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got the raw for chapter 1. Still interested in translating it, caesarpk?

Mediafire

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's at the stage now where someone would do well to just buy the volumes online and scan them in themselves. I was thinking of doing that at any rate, just still not so sure if this series is worth it!

caesarpk

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
just see if the first chapter is worth it or not, I guess. and yep, I am gonna start translate this prolly tomorrow or sometime, when I get done with my current trans. Depending on the first chapter, I might do it for the whole series if you have all the raws, but it actually depends because I might have to drop one of my project that I'm not that interested in (I am gonna compare which one worth more, if you know what I mean).

the first chapter is really funny, but I found out this manga is quite difficult to translate because it's really wordy, and uses real old dialect, and so the trans will probably take more than a day to finish (I even wonder if I can get it done by friday...

Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
Caesarpk, are you already part of a Edited Manga group? I was thinking about this, since we seem to be interested in a bunch of the same projects. I thought maybe we could try making TumorHorse a legit Edited Manga group. The only thing I'd like it to get more people, because I am not sure how dedicated I am to doing whole series. This was kind of just a temporary thing, because I was impatient waiting for toriko. XD

But maybe more people would be interested. I really would like to see Toriko and Usagi done all the way. I just hope Usagi survives.

Last edited:

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been toying with the idea of buying the tanks for these to scan them in and work on them. The current raws for it are so damn crappy, if I get them I probably won't make them available to the public though.

It'd be cool if you could work on Usagi but I would advise reading a couple of tutorials first and doing some test pages and stuff.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter 3 (Couldn't find 2)

Well, like I said. I just do scans really quick and sloppily. I never intended for my scans to be on par with other bigger groups. I didn't did it, because I was impatient. But I still would like to see this series scanlated. I am sure there are people willing to do a better job. I just want to do what I can. It'd be awesome if you bought the tanks. I think this series still deserves to be done regardless if it dies soon. It still is a year old.

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think in the long run, knowing how to do things to a MQ level saves you a surprising amount of time.

I will probably start of by buying only the first 3 volumes just to see what the response is like I know tht Zoro on here and Koenosaki were interested in doing this, you should try and pm them!

Last edited: