Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,376
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yes, exactly. Everyone has a bias and everyone has an opinion. It's impossible for you not to have an opinion unless you really don't care about HxH. And I rather like how the opinions are really diverse in this forum. The discussions just get better and the community feels vibrant. I probably wouldn't even notice half the things I do if not for everyone's opinions and Shinobi's comparisons. You guys even taught me a thing or two about quality and animation and producing anime as a whole. I like that, because now I can understand some things from the perspective of the director and the animation studio: pacing, music direction, budget, etc...

We all get a bit too carried away sometimes. It happens. I just see it as a reminder that , at the end of the day, everyone here loves HxH. And hey, that's more than fine with me.
:wtf It's so moving!
 
Last edited:

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Be honest with me: was I a jerk this week? Did I went too far bashing the old version the way I did? I guess I was since since apparently I caused to lock the HxH discussion at animesuke! And when I cause a thread to get locked, I KNOW I EFFed up big time!

I admit, I may went a bit over the top and subconsciously went back to the late teen troll style. I'm sorry for this mess. Maybe I shouldn't said what I'v said and keep my own opinions to myself.

You want me to stop comparing the old version and stick comparing the new one with the manga since it turned this controversial?
Nope,just a teeny bit harsh.
I do admit your review this time was a bit biased(and you did put down the 1999 version) but everyone is biased in their opinion.At the end of the day,some people just need to learn how to accept that not everyone share the same opinion as them.I love the 1999 version but there are flaws with it ,so of course it would be criticized.Same goes for the 2011 version.
Just continue whatever you are doing.

Yes, exactly. Everyone has a bias and everyone has an opinion. It's impossible for you not to have an opinion unless you really don't care about HxH. And I rather like how the opinions are really diverse in this forum. The discussions just get better and the community feels vibrant. I probably wouldn't even notice half the things I do if not for everyone's opinions and Shinobi's comparisons. You guys even taught me a thing or two about quality and animation and producing anime as a whole. I like that, because now I can understand some things from the perspective of the director and the animation studio: pacing, music direction, budget, etc...

We all get a bit too carried away sometimes. It happens. I just see it as a reminder that , at the end of the day, everyone here loves HxH. And hey, that's more than fine with me.
Agree.
The ironic part is that we are fighting over what we love.Remind me of that PnF episode. While the argument isn't mainly about Kurapika's gender ,but it is actually quite funny that it was even brought up.I thought those days were over.
Imagine...
if we ever reach the election arc, discussing Alluka's gender would be a blast.
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
I'm the fan of the manga and which ever anime portrays the manga is the one I'm gonna enjoy more. It happens to be the 2011 anime for some reason. The whole issue with the 1999 anime was the pointless filler added during the hunter exam. The whole point of the arc was to introduce the characters and their motives. It's the first actual arc of the series and it needs to get fleshed out? How and why does a introductory arc need to get fleshed out when everything explains itself.
Because most people think that the Hunter Exam in the manga sucks. Even manga fans say that. It's bare bones and the characters hadn't had sufficient time to develop, or rather they were sparsely developed. The first two phases were simple and boring. It only got interesting at the third. The fourth was anti-climatic and Gon's fight didn't convey itself well in manga form.

Whereas, because of the proficiency of direction and the added content (or filler), the Hunter Exam in the 1999 anime was awesome. Sure, there were some stinkers like Illumi v Gon but that was really owing to inconsistency of character/plot, rather than poor direction or poor scriptwriting. Anita wasn't too good either but it was tolerable. Everything else worked incredibly well.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Because most people think that the Hunter Exam in the manga sucks. Even manga fans say that. It's bare bones and the characters hadn't had sufficient time to develop, or rather they were sparsely developed. The first two phases were simple and boring. It only got interesting at the third. The fourth was anti-climatic and Gon's fight didn't convey itself well in manga form.

Whereas, because of the proficiency of direction and the added content (or filler), the Hunter Exam in the 1999 anime was awesome. Sure, there were some stinkers like Illumi v Gon but that was really owing to inconsistency of character/plot, rather than poor direction or poor scriptwriting. Anita wasn't too good either but it was tolerable. Everything else worked incredibly well.
I don't recall ever thinking that the Hunter Exam sucks in the manga and I am a manga fan. I'll trust you not to speak for me next time. I don't appreciate being told what I think. I personally believe the HUnter Exam arc to be excellent in Togashi's manga. Do I want to rattle off a list of reasons why? No because it's late here and I want to go to bed. I just thought I'd tell you that you shouldn't put a blanket over people and speak for everyone mousie.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
:wtf It's so moving!
Oh my, haha.

Because most people think that the Hunter Exam in the manga sucks. Even manga fans say that. It's bare bones and the characters hadn't had sufficient time to develop, or rather they were sparsely developed. The first two phases were simple and boring. It only got interesting at the third. The fourth was anti-climatic and Gon's fight didn't convey itself well in manga form.

Whereas, because of the proficiency of direction and the added content (or filler), the Hunter Exam in the 1999 anime was awesome. Sure, there were some stinkers like Illumi v Gon but that was really owing to inconsistency of character/plot, rather than poor direction or poor scriptwriting. Anita wasn't too good either but it was tolerable. Everything else worked incredibly well.
I don't know. I enjoyed the Hunter Exam arc in the manga. I actually liked it even more because of the anticlimax. While the first two phases were generic, I wouldn't actually call them boring. It's an exam tournament arc. What else could I have expected?

I think one of Togashi's problems in the manga is that he has the tendency to introduce a whole cast of characters, and it takes time for the reader to get invested in each and every one of them. That's probably why I didn't notice the Nostrade employees in Yorkshin, or how I had trouble remembering all the ants in the Ant arc. This didn't happen to me during the Hunter Exam, but maybe this is what happened to you? Personally, I think Togashi did okay with the Hunter Exam as far as characterizations and character relationships go. I wasn't expecting him to develop the characters so early in the manga anyways since he seems to like to take his time with them. I felt like the point of the first arc was to establish the setting and give a sense of adventure, not to show us who the characters are.

I think Togashi times the developments of each character. Hence why you don't get to know Killua until the Zoldyck arc and Kurapika until Yorkshin.

But that's just me. /opinion

I don't recall ever thinking that the Hunter Exam sucks in the manga and I am a manga fan. I'll trust you not to speak for me next time. I don't appreciate being told what I think. I personally believe the HUnter Exam arc to be excellent in Togashi's manga. Do I want to rattle off a list of reasons why? No because it's late here and I want to go to bed. I just thought I'd tell you that you shouldn't put a blanket over people and speak for everyone mousie.
Yeah, this.

if we ever reach the election arc, discussing Alluka's gender would be a blast.
Don't forget Pitou! I swear I keep thinking he's a girl even though I know he's not.

Alluka is a girl deal with it.:3c
The scantalations have already referred to Alluka as her/him/it.

Yeah, I think she's a girl too though. Hard to see her otherwise.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because most people think that the Hunter Exam in the manga sucks. Even manga fans say that. It's bare bones and the characters hadn't had sufficient time to develop, or rather they were sparsely developed. The first two phases were simple and boring. It only got interesting at the third. The fourth was anti-climatic and Gon's fight didn't convey itself well in manga form.

Whereas, because of the proficiency of direction and the added content (or filler), the Hunter Exam in the 1999 anime was awesome. Sure, there were some stinkers like Illumi v Gon but that was really owing to inconsistency of character/plot, rather than poor direction or poor scriptwriting. Anita wasn't too good either but it was tolerable. Everything else worked incredibly well.

If people think the Hunter Exam was "boring" then they are probably not the target audience of Hunter x Hunter.

First exam wasn't boring. Sure it wasn't really action-packed. But it had good psychology behind it.
Even from before the exam starts Tonpa is crushing rookies and Hisoka is cutting their arms off.
Then you got the exam itself---an insanely long foot race with no end in sight.


The characters were "sparsely developed" but then they should be. Character development should
be gradual. Not all smacked in at once.

And then let's not forget the next half of the first exam Swindler Swamp.
That was boring? Seriously? You're telling me a swamp that's trying to eat
you and get deceive you in so many ways...while a murderous magician
butchers examinees and you're left wondering will Gon even SURVIVE the exam?

Second Exam was comedy relief mainly.

3rd Exam Trick Tower was a chance to go into further development into each character.

Gon is shown to think outside the box and isn't just the standard stupid shonen hero we thought he would be

Kurapika's rage for revenge is shown and he's not as calm as we once thought.

Tonpa's motivation is explained

Leorio isn't as dumb as he looks but he plays it too safe

Killua is dangerous and the others are a tad bit worried about that...except for Gon.


4th Exam Zevil Island. Pure awesome.


Final Exam. Anticlimatic. Yes. But then that's the point. You're supposed to be like aw shucks that was it.
And then get this....THE EXAM WASN'T REALLY OVER. How about that? We're only getting started.
Exam ends with Hatsu training and now Gon is ready to fight Hisoka...Which ends up being brilliant.



But if the Hunter Exam is boring then I don't see how the 99 stretching it out and adding filler made it more exciting.
The tunnel with the sap or whatever was stupid and cliche. Oh no it's a sap that give you nightmares! Let's use
it as a way to shoehorn in some melodramatic flashbacks. Anita filler was annoying. Battleship exam wasn't so great
either. Hisoka vs Kurapika was alright the first time seeing it. But then after a while I realized how stupid and cliche it was.

Kurapika "I will win with my pride!" (Ok he never said that. But he might as well.)


I use to think the Hunter Exam was boring. It's true. Do you know why?

Because I saw the 1999 series Hunter Exam FIRST.

It wasn't until I read the manga that I was like...wait...THIS IS AWESOME.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,376
Gender
Male
Country
France
If people think the Hunter Exam was "boring" then they are probably not the target audience of Hunter x Hunter.

First exam wasn't boring. Sure it wasn't really action-packed. But it had good psychology behind it.

Even from before the exam starts Tonpa is crushing rookies and Hisoka is cutting their arms off.
Then you got the exam itself---an insanely long foot race with no end in sight.


The characters were "sparsely developed" but then they should be. Character development should
be gradual. Not all smacked in at once.

And then let's not forget the next half of the first exam Swindler Swamp.
That was boring? Seriously? You're telling me a swamp that's trying to eat
you and get deceive you in so many ways...while a murderous magician
butchers examinees and you're left wondering will Gon even SURVIVE the exam?

Second Exam was comedy relief mainly.

3rd Exam Trick Tower was a chance to go into further development into each character.

Gon is shown to think outside the box and isn't just the standard stupid shonen hero we thought he would be

Kurapika's rage for revenge is shown and he's not as calm as we once thought.

Tonpa's motivation is explained

Leorio isn't as dumb as he looks but he plays it too safe

Killua is dangerous and the others are a tad bit worried about that...except for Gon.


4th Exam Zevil Island. Pure awesome.


Final Exam. Anticlimatic. Yes. But then that's the point. You're supposed to be like aw shucks that was it.
And then get this....THE EXAM WASN'T REALLY OVER. How about that? We're only getting started.
Exam ends with Hatsu training and now Gon is ready to fight Hisoka...Which ends up being brilliant.



But if the Hunter Exam is boring then I don't see how the 99 stretching it out and adding filler made it more exciting.
The tunnel with the sap or whatever was stupid and cliche. Oh no it's a sap that give you nightmares! Let's use
it as a way to shoehorn in some melodramatic flashbacks. Anita filler was annoying. Battleship exam wasn't so great
either. Hisoka vs Kurapika was alright the first time seeing it. But then after a while I realized how stupid and cliche it was.

Kurapika "I will win with my pride!" (Ok he never said that. But he might as well.)


I use to think the Hunter Exam was boring. It's true. Do you know why?

Because I saw the 1999 series Hunter Exam FIRST.

It wasn't until I read the manga that I was like...wait...THIS IS AWESOME.
I totally agree with your post.I have known HXH via 1999 anime,and i was still a huge fan of fighting anime(Dragon Ball Z,Yu Yu Hakusho),i watched HXH just after YYH and after have watched few episodes,my first thought about it was"there is not enough fights in this manga"but it didn't dropped it, i found it really interesting and more addictive than YYH ,the main force of this arc was the presentation of characters(Especially Killua:hip) and suspense.

Since the beginning Togashi has shown that his manga wouldn't be like generic shonen.

If you don't like this part you can't really like the manga in its entirety(i know many people who like HXH only because of YS arc).
 
Last edited:

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
They all say the first arc in any battle series is the boring one: BLEACH, YuYu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Reborn, One Piece. etc. It's all because they know there is something better coming up afterwards. I guess it tells us there are people who don't like expositions or to know the characters before the big fights.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They all say the first arc in any battle series is the boring one: BLEACH, YuYu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Reborn, One Piece. etc. It's all because they know there is something better coming up afterwards. I guess it tells us there are people who don't like expositions or to know the characters before the big fights.
I think it's something you have to learn to appreciate.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
If people think the Hunter Exam was "boring" then they are probably not the target audience of Hunter x Hunter.

First exam wasn't boring. Sure it wasn't really action-packed. But it had good psychology behind it.
Even from before the exam starts Tonpa is crushing rookies and Hisoka is cutting their arms off.
Then you got the exam itself---an insanely long foot race with no end in sight.


The characters were "sparsely developed" but then they should be. Character development should
be gradual.
Not all smacked in at once.

And then let's not forget the next half of the first exam Swindler Swamp.
That was boring? Seriously? You're telling me a swamp that's trying to eat
you and get deceive you in so many ways...while a murderous magician
butchers examinees and you're left wondering will Gon even SURVIVE the exam?

Second Exam was comedy relief mainly.

3rd Exam Trick Tower was a chance to go into further development into each character.

Gon is shown to think outside the box and isn't just the standard stupid shonen hero we thought he would be

Kurapika's rage for revenge is shown and he's not as calm as we once thought.

Tonpa's motivation is explained

Leorio isn't as dumb as he looks but he plays it too safe

Killua is dangerous and the others are a tad bit worried about that...except for Gon.


4th Exam Zevil Island. Pure awesome.


Final Exam. Anticlimatic. Yes. But then that's the point. You're supposed to be like aw shucks that was it.
And then get this....THE EXAM WASN'T REALLY OVER. How about that? We're only getting started.
Exam ends with Hatsu training and now Gon is ready to fight Hisoka...Which ends up being brilliant.
I'm just highlighting the parts I liked about the Hunter Exam arc.

And I forgot to mention: there are two things that I really liked about the Hunter Exam arc in the manga. The first was how Togashi characterized the protagonist, Gon. His characterizations were more subtle than noticeable. This has been pointed out before in other posts and threads, so I won't elaborate here. But yeah, Gon isn't the typical shounen hero, but I like how Togashi shows us that in a subtle way. He doesn't point it out; you just have to notice it.

The other thing I liked about the arc was the uncertainty. It's the first arc, and already you're not sure whether or not Gon will become a Hunter. You're not sure if you can trust Killua. I like that Togashi made me doubt the abilities of the characters I'm supposed to be rooting for, and he made me doubt the characters themselves with whether or not I should trust them.

I'm not gonna comment on the '99 anime since, like I've said, I only watched a few episodes of that. But yeah, I did enjoy the manga.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Do you know what I really liked about the Hunter Exam arc? It didn't become the whole series. Let me explain:

When we first start the series, we find out that Gon wants to be a hunter. If it was any other series, they'd make the whole series just about the exam and will drag it in any possible way just to make the ending Gon receiving his hunter license and find his dad at the same time. I say it's a good thing Togashi wrapped up the arc in a quick manner and to show us what to do after becoming a hunter and to show us there's more to this series than Gon's achievement.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because most people think that the Hunter Exam in the manga sucks. Even manga fans say that. It's bare bones and the characters hadn't had sufficient time to develop, or rather they were sparsely developed. The first two phases were simple and boring. It only got interesting at the third. The fourth was anti-climatic and Gon's fight didn't convey itself well in manga form.

Whereas, because of the proficiency of direction and the added content (or filler), the Hunter Exam in the 1999 anime was awesome. Sure, there were some stinkers like Illumi v Gon but that was really owing to inconsistency of character/plot, rather than poor direction or poor scriptwriting. Anita wasn't too good either but it was tolerable. Everything else worked incredibly well.
I see what you mean. I llike the fact it was bare bones. Thats what made the hunter exam great in the manga. The 1999 anime over did it. Why do i want rushed characterization when the mangaka knows what he's doing. He made Yu Yu Hakusho, and for some reason he doesn't know how to start off a story? Togashi planned this to be a long running shounen from the get go. 'Development' could wait, plus the characterization was spot on in the manga.

Also the 1999 anime made the hunter exam worse period. Some people can't even get into the 1999 series because of the 2011 anime. 1999 anime over did it.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
There is one thing people tend to overlook and that is that the 99 anime started when there were only about 50-60 chapters when series today(lets take Naruto and Bleach for example) start at 130-150 chapters - that is a serious difference of information to work with, I don't know how far ahead Togashi planned although the outcome was no less than fantastic since in a conversation he had with Oda-sensei he said he was jealous of Oda never running out of inspiration and that he needs sometimes to sit and watch a couple of movies until something hits him but aside from that it's perfectly understandible that a lot of fillers would be inserted in order to keep a distance from the manga.

I for one didn't watch 2011 at all aside from the last episode when the GIF's were so amazing I just couldn't resist, it's on my watch list and I do plan to watch all of it soon so I don't have much say since my info would come from Popo and Shinobi's reviews and I'm very glad that they give their time to do it but still about 99 I would say some of the fillers such as the illusions trap were more exciting than the manga which there were only talk.
About ending an arc in an unfashioned way other than hero beats big bad guy with super tachnique I would say that this is one of the reasons that HxH and DB were this fun for me, you really can't guess how things might turn out since the rulebook was thrown out the window - even moreso in HxH and I didn't find one arc that ended not good IMO.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There is one thing people tend to overlook and that is that the 99 anime started when there were only about 50-60 chapters when series today(lets take Naruto and Bleach for example) start at 130-150 chapters - that is a serious difference of information to work with, I don't know how far ahead Togashi planned although the outcome was no less than fantastic since in a conversation he had with Oda-sensei he said he was jealous of Oda never running out of inspiration and that he needs sometimes to sit and watch a couple of movies until something hits him but aside from that it's perfectly understandible that a lot of fillers would be inserted in order to keep a distance from the manga.
Togashi went on his first hiatus because he got sick. He wasn't running out of ideas what so ever. You could tell by the amount of foreshadowing it had from the get go. 50-60 chapters is a lot to adapt in HxH. The anime has 47 episodes and only adapted 80+ chapters. Non of it felt out of place to me. 50 chapters is a lot to work with . The scenes were altered as well. The director made the assistant sailor come off as a bully. Why would he do that? He did that to put his version of the story. Why did the second episode have Gon saving animals from bad poachers? Than another scene where Gon helped a guy with a broken leg get to the next destination. If he did this than why didn't he help the guy that bumped into Hisoka? Why didn't Gon tell Adon to run for his life? The filler was bad and misleading. Fursashi tried to make things come off as cannon. Makes no sense. 50-60 chapters and the director still ends up deviating from the source material? Hate to burst your bubble the 1999 anime over did it period.

Also i can't believe your insulting Togashi's intelligence in such a way.Most of the foreshadowing togashi did in the hunter exam weren't even closed up by the time it was 50-60 chapters and your saying he had to take a break? Calm down man.

I for one didn't watch 2011 at all aside from the last episode when the GIF's were so amazing I just couldn't resist, it's on my watch list and I do plan to watch all of it soon so I don't have much say since my info would come from Popo and Shinobi's reviews and I'm very glad that they give their time to do it but still about 99 I would say some of the fillers such as the illusions trap were more exciting than the manga which there were only talk.
About ending an arc in an unfashioned way other than hero beats big bad guy with super tachnique I would say that this is one of the reasons that HxH and DB were this fun for me, you really can't guess how things might turn out since the rulebook was thrown out the window - even moreso in HxH and I didn't find one arc that ended not good IMO.
I don't know what your doing but you should watch it. If your a fan of HxH in general than watching the 2011 anime is a must. The story is actually done how the manga intended it to be. See it as its own anime because using the 1999 anime as a source material isn't good at all and takes away much from the 2011 anime. Most of what happened in the 1999 anime wasn't even cannon.
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There is one thing people tend to overlook and that is that the 99 anime started when there were only about 50-60 chapters when series today(lets take Naruto and Bleach for example) start at 130-150 chapters - that is a serious difference of information to work with, I don't know how far ahead Togashi planned although the outcome was no less than fantastic since in a conversation he had with Oda-sensei he said he was jealous of Oda never running out of inspiration and that he needs sometimes to sit and watch a couple of movies until something hits him but aside from that it's perfectly understandible that a lot of fillers would be inserted in order to keep a distance from the manga.

I for one didn't watch 2011 at all aside from the last episode when the GIF's were so amazing I just couldn't resist, it's on my watch list and I do plan to watch all of it soon so I don't have much say since my info would come from Popo and Shinobi's reviews and I'm very glad that they give their time to do it but still about 99 I would say some of the fillers such as the illusions trap were more exciting than the manga which there were only talk.
About ending an arc in an unfashioned way other than hero beats big bad guy with super tachnique I would say that this is one of the reasons that HxH and DB were this fun for me, you really can't guess how things might turn out since the rulebook was thrown out the window - even moreso in HxH and I didn't find one arc that ended not good IMO.
I wasn't overlooking that. Of course the 99 had less to work with and fillers were probably a necessary evil.
But I rather not give sympathy points because of that. Of course Togashi is to blame for the hiatuses.
But personally I see the 99 as a bad business decision. They should have waited a year later or something.
I mean look at 2011 it's waited ten years later and seems to be doing pretty well. Are some of the fans
recycled from the old 1999 series? Of course. But I would say many more are fans of the manga and are
just completely new. I don't doubt the 99 series helped to jump start the 2011 popularity but I think
even without the 1999 series, with just the popularity of the manga 2011 would still be quite popular.
Maybe even more so since there wouldn't be as many naysayers. Though thankfully they seem a rarer bunch these days.


I completely disagree that the illusions trap was more exciting than the manga being "only talk".
Did the illusions trap show some really crazy visual imagery--not not really. We got a skeleton
Piedro and some fancy architecture and well I honestly hated how Leorio's regret was portrayed.
It was too in your face. I mean c'mon if you need Mr. Skullface to tell you got regrets. Sigh.

In comparison manga

Leorio and Kurapika's conversation comes naturally. I mean running can get boring so it would be a good time to talk.
They didn't say a whole lot but what they said said a whole lot about them. Just Leorio's comment that money
can buy you anything speaks a lot of not just Leorio but of the world at large. That's character development AND
foreshadowing right there.

I don't think talk is boring if it is done right. Some of the best movies were 90% talk. Sure action is great.
But some of the greatest moments in cinema and literature are spoken dialogue or monologue.


I think the problem with HxH is too many people label it as a fighting manga. It's not. It's Psychological Adventure.
Yes there are battles but even they are shown much more psychological than many shonen battle manga.
But if you look at HxH as a fighting manga you'll think "When are we getting to the good stuff"
and you won't realize...you're already there.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,376
Gender
Male
Country
France
Togashi is the master of foreshadowing.What he did with Nen drawings still impress me.With all his hiatuses i think he completed the manga but he tries to lay out stories without incoherences.He even works alone too.

BTW do you think Togashi will create another manga after HXH?
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
I'm aware of the 99 anime having a lot of fillers, hell Furuhashi's previous work had 50% fillers and that is only if we count full episodes and not inside episodes (Kenshin had 48 filler episodes out of 95), and I know after reading the manga that Gon's and Killua's character is different than the 99 and yes I do prefer the manga version of them over the 99 version.

About what you said chapters would be enough of an information in order to start an anime here I have to disagree, Kenshin started at +-80 and look how it went, Saint seiya was very extreme starting at 38 and the first 24 episodes were full of fillers, just imagine what would have happened if Madhouse would have gotten where they are at right now with only 23 chapters to spare and in 4/5 months a new arc that connects perfectly(it's Togashi, he never halfass on the plot so of course it's perfectly)to the previous one just starting.

I'd say they would need to take at least 2 year hiatus and resume later and that is not something a studio likes to do with a cashcow - see Naruto/Bleach for instance so I choose to take it as a reasonable excuse to put fillers although I would only judge from comparisons here, the likes of episode 10(DAMN they love Hisoka) and Canary flashback would be better than Foxbear cub for instance.

Edited here only to add :

Mrsticky I think my meaning of "only talk" was misinterpreted, maybe I should have said it differently but I do feel that such a way of introducing the dillema of Leorio and Kurapica gives a stronger reason of why they must at all cost become hunters and of course in Kurapica's vision not much could have been shown since the Genei-ryoudan didn't appear in manga yet and Kurapica didn't even know how they looked like, about Leorio the feel of guilt of not being able to save his friend and thus wanting to save everyone he can without them having to face the harsh reality of the monetary based world does seem like a good enough reason to become a hunter at all cost, something I just didn't see words alone to describe good enough yet with the flashback it could have been possible... now I have a feeling like now I'm mixing both versions in my head and I don't know why.
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Togashi is the master of foreshadowing.What he did with Nen drawings still impress me.With all his hiatuses i think he completed the manga but he tries to lay out stories without incoherences.He even works alone too.

BTW do you think Togashi will create another manga after HXH?
HxH is the kinda of manga you reread and are surprised. It's just that awesome.

Maybe short stories but I doubt anything on-going.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
80 chapters in HxH is different from kenshin. Different mangaka characterizing different stories. Furasashi doesn't have an excuse. He came off way to sublte and had no emphasis on anything what so ever. He rarely put any meaning into the story. If the 2011 anime were to adapt the manga fully we would have had seen the Uvo vs Kurapika fight until way later.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top