Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
What are you talking about? There was no "break down", I suggest that you watch ep. 56 again. There was a 5 seconds scene just after he killed him where he facepalmed himself (actually it lasted like 2 seconds) which was a result of fatigue after being in scarlet eyes mode. In a later episode he says the prayer which in no way suggest any kind of a break down but corresponds perfectly with what his master said, i.e. that these killings will give him nothing but emptiness. But he's not crying in the corner as you're suggesting, not even close. Thanks to this we get to know him better and can see directly how come he keeps his calm and sanity this whole time while not being a sociopath.

Anyway, even the best episode of a new version of Hunter x Hunter is worse than 1999 version and here we have another example of it. Overall, episodes 56th and 47th they are very similar but details make a difference. While quality of animation is better in the new one (obviously, it would be laughable if it wasn't although there were episodes where a 12 year older anime had better animation) the fight is over the top here as if taken out from Naruto or Bleach. Kurapica and Uvo jumping 100 meters high and actually staying that way for a few seconds (you can see it around 4th-5th minute) or Uvo running along the vertical slope make it look like some kind of a travesty when compared to the old anime. Plus there's still that narrator for kids which is annoying as hell.

And while I'm at it, one of the things I really didn't like in the recent episodes (there are tons of stupidities or examples of bad direction but I don't have time to write about them all) was the presentation of Kurapica's colleagues, especially the Haiku guy. In the old anime Uvo made a huge impact on me when he stopped the bullets as if they were flies but in the new one it was downgraded since even that Haiku guy could do it.
Umm, no. I'm really sorry. Even if I am to buy that as the truth, the manga itself has Kurapika sorta wobble a bit and ask himself if he stayed in that state too long. Why go through all this added effort to have him on his knee, grabbing his face when the manga made it clear that the ordeal only sorta made him a little woozy at best? Why? What is the point of this? Maybe you feel as if all this extra effort is necessary, but all it does to me is continue to show just how little the 1999 version understands the characters it's supposed to portray. I mean hell, if that's what Furuhashi wanted to portray, why remove the line about 'Did I remain in that state too long?' How can you support this when it just makes Kurapika seem even weaker than his manga counterpart? I never said he cried, and quite frankly Togashi does a far better job of not showing him as a mere sociopath later on in the arc when he makes a deal with Pakunoda for the exchange of Gon and Killua. I thought the prayer was kind of forced in to make us feel like Kurapika feels bad for what he did. Like 'KURAPIKA IS SAD, AND YOU SHOULD BE TOO.' It really wasn't necessary at all, it just feels like Furuhashi is trying to force his narrative down our throats rather than use the medium of animation itself for us to draw our own conclusions. I don't need the director to tell me how to feel. That's just as bad (if not worse) than that narrator (whom is mostly cannon.) that you seem to hate so much.

In any case, as I've been saying, both versions really had their issues with this fight. Uvo's strongest attack bounced Kurapika a few inches, and the chain can suddenly produce electricity? Wooooooow. How is THAT not over the top? Meanwhile Madhouse is and I agree with you, is way over the top. From the music to some of the choices in animation. (I didn't mind it, but I did notice it.) I don't really care if you think 1999 did a better job with the series, or that you hate 2011, since honestly both still pale in comparison to the manga.

In summary 1999 has a bunch of directorial, art, and storyboard issues as well. Please don't make it seem as if it doesn't.
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What are you talking about? There was no "break down", I suggest that you watch ep. 56 again. There was a 5 seconds scene just after he killed him where he facepalmed himself (actually it lasted like 2 seconds) which was a result of fatigue after being in scarlet eyes mode. In a later episode he says the prayer which in no way suggest any kind of a break down but corresponds perfectly with what his master said, i.e. that these killings will give him nothing but emptiness. But he's not crying in the corner as you're suggesting, not even close. Thanks to this we get to know him better and can see directly how come he keeps his calm and sanity this whole time while not being a sociopath.

Anyway, even the best episode of a new version of Hunter x Hunter is worse than 1999 version and here we have another example of it. Overall, episodes 56th and 47th they are very similar but details make a difference. While quality of animation is better in the new one (obviously, it would be laughable if it wasn't although there were episodes where a 12 year older anime had better animation) the fight is over the top here as if taken out from Naruto or Bleach. Kurapica and Uvo jumping 100 meters high and actually staying that way for a few seconds (you can see it around 4th-5th minute) or Uvo running along the vertical slope make it look like some kind of a travesty when compared to the old anime. Plus there's still that narrator for kids which is annoying as hell.

And while I'm at it, one of the things I really didn't like in the recent episodes (there are tons of stupidities or examples of bad direction but I don't have time to write about them all) was the presentation of Kurapica's colleagues, especially the Haiku guy. In the old anime Uvo made a huge impact on me when he stopped the bullets as if they were flies but in the new one it was downgraded since even that Haiku guy could do it.
The face palm was more than just a result of fatigue. If that's all they wanted to show then it would be just the wobble from the manga but instead we get



The 1999 director took a panel that most people would probably not even notice if it was skipped and put great emphasis on it.
The 1999 director did this for a reason. Why? Because Kurapika is exhausted? No, that would be too trivial. Something MORE is being said.
The 1999 director wants us the viewer to ask "Why is Kurapika clutching his face" like that? Why is his expression like that? What is his expression?
Is he sad? Is he mad? Is he glad? Add in a bleeding moon and this two second scene demand the attention of the viewer.

Wobble does not.

Wobble doesn't say much of anything except Kurapika is tired. Why did Togashi add it? Probably to show that there is a side effect to emperor time.

But therein lies the problem. The scene shows he's not a sociopath. Now Kurapika may not actually be a sociopath...But we're not suppose to know
that and that moment in time. We're not suppose to know how Kurapika keeps his "calm" and "sanity". In fact we are suppose to question if
Kurapika is even calm or sane in the first place. Which is the "true" Kurapika the kind one in the exams or the vicious one in Yorknew?
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,674
Reaction score
61,376
Gender
Male
Country
France
I have a question for 1999 fans.Do you want the new anime to be better than the previous?Because when i read some comments i have the impression that 2011 anime is hated,because 1999 anime will be forgotten.
 

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
I have a question for 1999 fans.Do you want the new anime to be better than the previous?Because when i read some comments i have the impression that 2011 anime is hated,because 1999 anime will be forgotten.
I want the 2011 version to be better, but even before the the remake aired I knew 1999 was a tough act to follow.

I do not hate the 2011 anime, in fact I used to defend it, what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Both approach the original material differently and have different degrees of success. 1999 is not a masterpiece. 2011 wasn't this amazing overhaul either. They're both good. They both had problems. Lets quit the bashing and enjoy what we like.
I don't know why you responded this way to my post with this since I wasn't bashing 2011. In fact, I hardly bash 2011, most of my posts here is just defending 1999 for the unfair nitpicky "criticisms". Also, I directed this post specifically to mousiehamster because we've seen eye-to-eye many times in the past and I was just a bit curious why we see things differently now. I wasn't trying to convince anyone else.
 

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

I guess I made some enemies here!



You mean before using the stake, right? But that was afterwards. In the 1999 version he felt disgusted at his/her actions from the first few punches. The 2011/manga Kurapika didn't care for what he was doing and kept asking and punching every time he didn't receive an answer.




But she didn't say anything regarding using Emperor time. Plus the way her eyes were twitching didn't feel like of exhaustion, it felt like it was out of fear or regret or "I did a horrible thing!". And the "crying moon" didn't add anything to that? Not to mention the sad look on her eyes after burying Uvo compared the poker face in the manga/2011.




It was Togashi's intent, but what about Furuhashi?! The one who saw Kurapika as a "Tragic Heroine Character?"



And what I said was not from my imagination unless I'm watching a fan-edited version that portrayed Kurapika as a female:

Episode 07: Look at this pictures. Are you telling me these are not breasts and his shirt "happened" to look like this?!



Episode 18: What's the deal with "his" reaction of seeing naked Leoreo?! Even he thought Kurapika's behavior was suspicious!



Episode 32: What's the deal of this pose?! Guess who else I saw doing this...




Episode 45: Need to remind you about the chain bondage scene?! Just give it watch to know what's the deal.



Aren't these hints enough to what was their direction?



Next thing you know, Shinobi will be claiming that in 1999, everyone thinks Kurapica is a guy but in reality "she" is just hiding "her" true gender. ZING! The logic of a 2011 fan.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2




Next thing you know, Shinobi will be claiming that in 1999, everyone thinks Kurapica is a guy but in reality "she" is just hiding "her" true gender. ZING! The logic of a 2011 fan.
Well that's incredibly short sighted.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

1999 anime fans nitpick the 2011 anime but don't nitpick their own......1999 anime fan logic.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I want the 2011 version to be better, but even before the the remake aired I knew 1999 was a tough act to follow.

I do not hate the 2011 anime, in fact I used to defend it, what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------



I don't know why you responded this way to my post with this since I wasn't bashing 2011. In fact, I hardly bash 2011, most of my posts here is just defending 1999 for the unfair nitpicky "criticisms". Also, I directed this post specifically to mousiehamster because we've seen eye-to-eye many times in the past and I was just a bit curious why we see things differently now. I wasn't trying to convince anyone else.
You say that as if both sides aren't guilty of that. You also get people who say "OMG the remake is horrible, the old anime was so dark" "The original was a masterpiece, this version doesn't have the development of the old one." Some fans just need to watch the show if they like it and not worry about it living up to some amazingly high expectations they have for an anime from more than a decade ago.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I want the 2011 version to be better, but even before the the remake aired I knew 1999 was a tough act to follow.
I do not hate the 2011 anime, in fact I used to defend it, what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better.
This makes absolutely no sense. Your the one coming off biased here.The remake is intended to follow the manga and not the 1999 anime. We had like eighty posts saying that they both have their issues but somehow you still keep going on your 1999 bias. How about you stop showing your bias and be neutral for once.

There is a bunch of flaws with the 1999 anime fight, the same could be said with 2011 anime as well. For some reason the emphasis and the amount of blood and violence shown somehow comes off kiddy.

The way Madhouse emphasized Uvo's death was actually pretty good and contributes to the story. The Nen explanations were also a nice touch. There was actually people who felt sorry for Uvo and people saying that Kurapika seemed like the bad guy during the fight. Most people who've seen the older version ignore the fine points of what happened in the episode and subjugate it to.... "it's to flashy"....."it wasn't as intense and emotional"... but for some reason people who are new to the series beg to differ.
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I want the 2011 version to be better, but even before the the remake aired I knew 1999 was a tough act to follow.

I do not hate the 2011 anime, in fact I used to defend it, what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better.

Ridiculous.

You imply that 2011 is disappointing to 2011 fans that either they compare it to the 1999 series because

1. The 99 is worse and it 2011 is better in comparison

2. The 99 is better and the 2011 fans are lying about it better

The first view works against you since that would be saying that both suck but that while the 2011 sucks it's not as bad as the 99 which sucks more.

But then why watch either?

The second view is just plain silly. Most the fans here actually enjoy the 2011 series...That's why they are fans.

I think a third option makes an infinite amount more of sense

Some people like the 2011 better. Others like the 1999 better. Because 1999 is done and 2011 is weekly we argue about the two series--get this--FOR FUN.
Sure there's been some bad blood here and there and sometimes things get taken too seriously. But I think at the end of the day nobody REALLY cares which
one is "better" either we like the two series or we don't. We just want something to discuss.
 

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

The way that the 1999 Kurapika kept looking at Leorio in the Hunter Exam made him look like either a girl or gay.
 
Last edited:

chei

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
106
Reaction score
133
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

It's not about literally a 'girl', but it's a fact that Kurapika got defined as the anime heroine role ("red dot" as Japanese called it) in the Nippon animation adaptation. Furuhashi mentioned it a few times in interview that he's going for that angle. Hence he exaggerated the effeminate attributes of Kurapika and further making him into the role of emo and sappy tragic heroine. The 99's Kurapika ended up SO incredibly annoying and unlikable for me, not to mention the characterization is just so off and corny. He totally ruined a character who's pretty cool in the manga, into something pretty cliche (the type of typical uppity PMS-ing shounen anime heroine typeI can't stand).

Uvogin was also portrayed as obnoxious during his death scene in the 99 version, as oppose to the dignified resolution he has in the manga (which Madhouse portrayed beautifully). The 1999 version just play out this battle with a very 'black and white' moralistic vibe - awww good guys feel bad when they were forced to kill, bad guys are arrogant and unpleasant and totally deserve it. I was just so annoyed when I watched it back then.

Anyway I finally watched 47 last night and I was so impressed! Finally, an adaptation that do justice of the source material, they kept the characters and situation as complex, morally ambiguous and conflicting as Togashi has written it. I feel so bad for Uvogin and Kurapika's soulless empty eyes when he dug the grave was chilling. The death sequence are very memorable, the acting is top notch!! And as usual, the nen and Kurapika's agenda's explanation was so smooth and well done....Madhouse always handled these info-dump so well! I hope to see Uvogin in flashback again, he's such a beast and such an enjoyable character. One scene I regret for not seeing in the Madhouse version was Shalnack asking other members whether Uvogin has come back yet (the 99 ver had it)...I wished it was in.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Next thing you know, Shinobi will be claiming that in 1999, everyone thinks Kurapica is a guy but in reality "she" is just hiding "her" true gender. ZING! The logic of a 2011 fan.
Except that we are NOT the ones who started this logic! Even before the remake started I'v read rumors and fan theories that said Kurapika was originally a girl and took her dead brother's name and disguised as a man. There's even a fan art depicts the moment of her change. Not to mention some doujins about Leoreo's and Kurapika's wedding! If he's not a girl then that makes it worse!

 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I want the 2011 version to be better, but even before the the remake aired I knew 1999 was a tough act to follow.

I do not hate the 2011 anime, in fact I used to defend it, what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------



I don't know why you responded this way to my post with this since I wasn't bashing 2011. In fact, I hardly bash 2011, most of my posts here is just defending 1999 for the unfair nitpicky "criticisms". Also, I directed this post specifically to mousiehamster because we've seen eye-to-eye many times in the past and I was just a bit curious why we see things differently now. I wasn't trying to convince anyone else.
But you also come off as extremely biased towards the 1999 version. You may not bash it (much), but it doesn't help that you seem to imply that 2011 fans have to 'lie' to themselves regarding 2011's quality when compared to 1999. My intent was to point out is that 2011 isn't perfect, and 1999 is far from a tough act to follow. Both series have their successes and both have their failures. I keep saying this because really I don't care which HXH is being discussed, but it's annoying when posters try to justify their biased opinions by suggesting that one series is 'the masterpiece' while the other is a shitty reject. I don't give a damn if it's a 2011 lover or a 1999 lover. I've defended both series for their merits and criticized their flaws. (Which both series have plenty of.) This is my point. Nothing else.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2




Next thing you know, Shinobi will be claiming that in 1999, everyone thinks Kurapica is a guy but in reality "she" is just hiding "her" true gender. ZING! The logic of a 2011 fan.
lolol. Someone's forgetting that their precious 1999 director himself said he depicts Kurapika as a tragic heroine. But I suppose us stupid, foolish and shortsighted fans who can see both series have flaws are too brutish and idiotic to realize this. lol. Maybe his logic is in question, but your bias ain't pretty either.
 

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
I apologize for my post below:
I want the 2011 version to be better, but even before the the remake aired I knew 1999 was a tough act to follow.

I do not hate the 2011 anime, in fact I used to defend it, what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better.
I wrote this in a fit of anger and I regret it. This was uncalled for and brought nothing but unnecessary trouble. I hope you all accept my proposal to put this post behind us.

But you also come off as extremely biased towards the 1999 version. You may not bash it (much), but it doesn't help that you seem to imply that 2011 fans have to 'lie' to themselves regarding 2011's quality when compared to 1999. My intent was to point out is that 2011 isn't perfect, and 1999 is far from a tough act to follow. Both series have their successes and both have their failures. I keep saying this because really I don't care which HXH is being discussed, but it's annoying when posters try to justify their biased opinions by suggesting that one series is 'the masterpiece' while the other is a shitty reject. I don't give a damn if it's a 2011 lover or a 1999 lover. I've defended both series for their merits and criticized their flaws. (Which both series have plenty of.) This is my point. Nothing else.
Extremely biased? This is what I said:

yeah. the can flicking, music, prayer, the direction during the cloud of dust scene (seriously it was amazing), the imagery here and there (bleeding moon), kurapica's one scarlet eye looking so mesmerizing as he tortured ubo, the flashback with mizuken being better directed with so many unspoken things, the interrogation had a lot more unspoken emotions in 1999 (though yes, madhouse's version is more violent), the breakdown after (though manga purists will claim to hate it), the overall atmosphere/feel of desolation in the entire episode, etc etc.

what i'd give to 2011 is the beginning of the action up until the end of the first half of the 1999 series (i never cared for how 1999 handled this back then. the "20%" now "50%" thing was annoying). and oh, the black and white scene in the end.

anyway that's just my view, i still think this is a great episode from madhouse :) but 1999 has the edge for the coherent directional intent and artistry (as usual). you should watch it again.
Oh, let me even show what I thought of the episode in the other forum:


So I am "extremely biased", while a poster who said this isn't:

Uvo’s death and burial. In the manga Kurapika didn’t show any emotions and all what he concerned was the time and energy he spent on. Mahouse made the same a masterpiece by combining the Sin City style and the deadly silence. In Nippon’s adaptation… PATHETIC! Kurapika who we saw determined to kill is now falling on her knees crying over her “crime”! And her crime was so devastating that the moon is crying with her!! But again, what’s new?! This is Furuhashi who wanted to end the series by killing Kurapika to “atone for her sins” of killing the ones who killed her tribe. We got it Furuhashi: “Revenge doesn’t pay”. But what you’ve failed to realize that this is NOT your story and you’re NOT the author to decide what the characters are!! You destroyed for us Gon and Killua and now you’ve destroyed Kurapika! Congratulations!!
Really now? I post something praising the 2011 series but saying that I prefer the 1999 series and gave my reason, and you pay attention it? (oh look, I even took a jab at the 1999 series). Let me even point-out again that I wasn't trying to convince anyone else of my view because I know it's a hopeless case; it was directed to a fellow 1999 fan who I see eye-to-eye to most of the time. And even then, I wasn't imposing my view on him. I said, "this is just my view :)", encouraged him to rewatch the episode, looking forward to see if he change his mind about his assessment. If he did, "yay!", if not, then cool.

And now someone completely bashes the 1999 series in a "comparison" post that is meant to viewed by public, including those who have never seen the 1999 series and read the manga and whose opinions of the three are partly shaped by these "comparisons," and people are quiet (in fact they like it)? And I'm the one who's "extremely" biased? Really now?

It's no secret that I love the 1999 series. I have considered it to be overall above the manga years even before the remake was announced. Even before the idea of a remake crossed anyone's mind, I was of the opinion that the way Furuhashi handled HxH was something special (so it's not like I suddenly decided to elevate the 1999 series to the highest heavens just because the remake happened). If you disagree, so be it. But my point is that there is nothing wrong with my preference for the 1999 series. The important thing is that, whatever my preference is, I still respected what Madhouse did in the episode and praised them for it.

Anyway, my point is that you had no cause to reply that way to my post. You replied to my post before I said "what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better" (which I already said I regret). This was uncalled for; there are other posts that are a lot more deserving of this kind of comment.
 
Last edited:

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Uvogin was also portrayed as obnoxious during his death scene in the 99 version, as oppose to the dignified resolution he has in the manga (which Madhouse portrayed beautifully). The 1999 version just play out this battle with a very 'black and white' moralistic vibe - awww good guys feel bad when they were forced to kill, bad guys are arrogant and unpleasant and totally deserve it.
Obnoxious?
Probably the thing that made people feel that Kurapica was dangerously close to becoming the bad guy was the torture scene. Sadly they couldn't go through with it in the 1999 edition due to censorship. Your accusation that the episode portrayed Uvo as deserving of his punishment is unsupported, however. By that, I mean there is nothing in the episode that does that.

Except that we are NOT the ones who started this logic! Even before the remake started I'v read rumors and fan theories that said Kurapika was originally a girl and took her dead brother's name and disguised as a man. There's even a fan art depicts the moment of her change. Not to mention some doujins about Leoreo's and Kurapika's wedding! If he's not a girl then that makes it
Rumors and fan art is irrelevant.

lolol. Someone's forgetting that their precious 1999 director himself said he depicts Kurapika as a tragic heroine. But I suppose us stupid, foolish and shortsighted fans who can see both series have flaws are too brutish and idiotic to realize this. lol. Maybe his logic is in question, but your bias ain't pretty either.
A tragic heroine that is fixated on revenge at the expense of everything. Yeah that's pretty atypical for a tragic heroine, don't you think? The term doesn't even begin to encapsulate 1999 Kurapica.
 

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
For the second time, I apologize for the last line in this post:
Next thing you know, Shinobi will be claiming that in 1999, everyone thinks Kurapica is a guy but in reality "she" is just hiding "her" true gender. ZING! The logic of a 2011 fan.
It was uncalled for for me to generalize the 2011 fanbase. I shouldn't have and I regret it. However, I do not apologize for my jab at Shinobi. I was planning to actually, but what do you know, my prediction was correct:

Except that we are NOT the ones who started this logic! Even before the remake started I'v read rumors and fan theories that said Kurapika was originally a girl and took her dead brother's name and disguised as a man. There's even a fan art depicts the moment of her change. Not to mention some doujins about Leoreo's and Kurapika's wedding! If he's not a girl then that makes it worse!
See what I mean? But whatever, I will respond to this later.

Anyway, I already posted the screencap that explicitly referred to Kurapica as a guy in the 1999 anime.



Comments? Views? Explanations? Let me proceed to respond individually to Shinobi's claims:

>変わらない部分としてはクラピカがヒロイン兼任する部分とキャスティ
ングの大部分かな。
A quote by the '99 anime director, it says that he saw Kurapika as a tragic heroine and wanted to portray him as a one so that's why the character is a little bit different than in the manga and gets more screen time. And yes "ヒロイン" is indeed a heroine and not a hero, no wonder so many people were confused with his gender. Kurapika was his waifu.
Please provide source. Just because it's in japanese does not mean it's reliable.

Episode 07: Look at this pictures. Are you telling me these are not breasts and his shirt "happened" to look like this?!
A single screencap at a time when the 1999 series was still plagued with fillers? A single screencap while the staff is still trying to get a feel of HxH? A single screencap compared to the hundreds of moments where Kurapica was shown to be flat-chested? Yes, this is conclusive.

Episode 18: What's the deal with "his" reaction of seeing naked Leoreo?! Even he thought Kurapika's behavior was suspicious!
1. Kurapica had this same reaction right before this scene, when Leorio was saying to himself, "I'm handsome" (or something like that). In that part, he was reacting that way because he was cringing at how Leorio thinks himself as "handsome" or cool. This reaction is not exclusively due to seeing Leorio's manhood because he's "such a girl."




2. This is obviously meant to be humorous.
3. You know what happened 10 seconds after this scene you cited? This:



Episode 32: What's the deal of this pose?! Guess who else I saw doing this...
Obviously meant as a joke. I will not defend this, I also thought it's a strange scene, but it's far from conclusive. Do you see me or any 1999 fan making a big deal when Killua kissed Gon in the Hunterpedia? All of us think it's a joke right and do not think much of it. Same idea here.

Episode 45: Need to remind you about the chain bondage scene?! Just give it watch to know what's the deal.
Yes the direction is feminine. But it's obviously due to Furuhashi's artistic choice. If you look closely there is no body part that is definitely feminine. No breasts, no full butt. In fact, his collarbone is more defined compared to most women (unless said woman is anorexic). The full shot of Kurapica's back also show him having the build of a guy. It's much clearer in HQ. There's nothing conclusive about this at all.


Aren't these hints enough to what was their direction?
"Hints"? You make it sound like there are a lot more. In fact, I would like to formally ask you to provide other scenes where Kurapica was "hinted" to be a girl. (This not include episode 62, because most of the fandom consider this a yaoi-esque scene. And you know, it's called "yaoi" for a reason.) The fact is, those "hints" that you mentioned are vague and inconclusive, not to mention there are few of them and they are rather isolated. The "hints" you mentioned can be chalked-up to attempts to humor and artistic choice. 99% of the time, Furuhashi portrayed Kurapica as the androgynous fellow that he is.

In fact, aside from the screencap that referred to Kurapica exclusively and conclusively as guy, let me offer this counter example: In the Anita filler, Leorio and Kurapica knocked on Menchi's door. Menchi opened the door angrily and accused both of trying to peep on her. If Kurapica were a girl do you think Menchi would act this way? Would Menchi chase him down? Leorio later ruminated that it was unfair that he got punched while Kurapica wasn't. If Kurapica were a girl, the idea of another girl punching her for "peeping" would be weird.








Except that we are NOT the ones who started this logic! Even before the remake started I'v read rumors and fan theories that said Kurapika was originally a girl and took her dead brother's name and disguised as a man. There's even a fan art depicts the moment of her change. Not to mention some doujins about Leoreo's and Kurapika's wedding! If he's not a girl then that makes it worse!
So are the theories that Hisoka is Gon's father and that Kuroro is a member of the Kuruta tribe. I do not understand how you can even seriously consider these conspiracy theories in the discussion. I mean, seriously?

And funny you should mention "some doujins". Seriously? Yeah, because doujinshis are reliable. Same doujins that concoct male pregnancy not only in HxH but also in other fandoms like Gundam Wing, YYH, DBZ, including characters that are lot more manly that Kurapica.

It's also funny that you mention these doujin. How about I point to you the thousands of fangirls who have only seen that 1999 anime but who are so deeply in love with Kurapica? Or the other fangirls who ship Kurapica/Leorio and Kurapica/Kuroro etc as a "yaoi" couple. Some doujins that concoct the weirdest shit vs the opinion of 99% of viewers, which do you think holds more weight? It's not even close.

To summarize my point and to avoid any confusion about what I'm trying to say/do:
I am not arguing that Kurapica does not look "feminine" in the 1999 series. I agree that the scenes are strange and I myself raise an eyebrow and laugh at them. So if you want to hate on Furuhashi for making Kurapica more "feminine" (but still think he was a guy), go ahead.

What I am merely disputing is Shinobi's claim that Furuhashi made Kurapica definitely and literally a girl. In my point of view (and others as well) it is clear as day that Kurapica is a guy, but if Shinobi is not convinced, then we can at the very least compromise that it's not conclusive. That's why I found it irresponsible for Shinobi to say that Kurapica is a girl and parade it as a conclusive fact (when in fact it isn't) in a comparison post that many people read, including those who haven't even seen the 1999 series. And this is a BIG claim, and it brings with it the message that the 1999 series has absolutely no respect to the source material that it is willing to change a main character's gender for no real reason. He should have been taken due discretion when stating these kinds of things as facts.

But if he still wants to discuss Kurapica's gender in the 1999 series, the comparisons are not the time and place for it. Whether I like it or not, some readers actually consider them reliable; Shinobi should have the sense of responsibility to be as fair to both series as he can, not to make claims based on the latest conspiracy theory that he has heard about.


So if Shinobi agrees with me, I would like to respectfully request him to delete his "Kurapica is a girl" comments because it is not conclusive at all and is just spreading unnecessary confusion. Likewise, I would like him to take greater care next time in making these kinds of claims and if possible, to temper emotionally-charged comments like "Pathetic!" "ruined!" in the comparisons themselves, comparisons which aim to be as objective as possible.

Anyway this is probably my last say on the matter. I have no time and energy to further discuss this issue extensively. (I will not even visit MH because I will just be tempted to reply).
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I apologize for my post below:


I wrote this in a fit of anger and I regret it. This was uncalled for and brought nothing but unnecessary trouble. I hope you all accept my proposal to put this post behind us.



Extremely biased? This is what I said:



Oh, let me even show what I thought of the episode in the other forum:


So I am "extremely biased", while a poster who said this isn't:



Really now? I post something praising the 2011 series but saying that I prefer the 1999 series and gave my reason, and you pay attention it? Let me even point-out again that I wasn't trying to convince anyone else of my view because I know it's a hopeless case; it was directed to a fellow 1999 fan who I see eye-to-eye to most of the time. And even then, I wasn't imposing my view on him. I said, "this is just my view :)", encouraged him to rewatch the episode, looking forward to see if he change his mind about his assessment. If he did, "yay!", if not, then cool.

And now someone completely bashes the 1999 series in a "comparison" post that is meant to viewed by public, including those who have never seen the 1999 series and read the manga and whose opinions of the three are partly shaped by these "comparisons," and people are quiet (in fact they like it)? And I'm the one who's "extremely" biased? Really now?

It's no secret that I love the 1999 series. I have considered it to be overall above the manga years even before the remake was announced. Even before the idea of a remake crossed anyone's mind, I was of the opinion that the way Furuhashi handled HxH was something special (so it's not like I decided to elevate the 1999 series to the highest heavens just because the remake happened). If you disagree, so be it. But my point is that there is nothing wrong with my preference for the 1999 series. The important thing is that, whatever my preference is, I still respected what Madhouse did in the episode and praised them for it.

Anyway, my point is that you had no cause to reply that way to my post. You replied to my post before I said "what I really hate are the stupid accusations many fans here make against 1999 just to make 2011 look better" (which I already said I regret). This was uncalled for; there are other posts that are a lot more deserving of this kind of comment.
You too seem to be either misunderstanding or misreading my posts. I never defended Shinobi, in fact I too said his review this week was uncalled for, and overall I've said it millions of times that I don't really care which version it is since both of them have their issues. I don't like the changes Madhouse made to the series, nor do I really care for Furuhashi's changes. I'm just happy there's an HXH to discuss.

as for mousiehamster's comment, I want a HXH based on the manga Togashi penned, not one based on Furuhashi's preferences. I got excited about a HXH anime that was written by the original artist, not for a sort of bastardization by a ambitious director. Am I saying that everything Furuhashi changed was for the worst? No. There are some really worthwhile additions to the script and scenario that I really enjoyed. I don't remember the episode number, but Gon's reflection episode after being socked by Hisoka was so good that I wish Madhouse had included it. It's just that 75 percent of what was added or modified by Furuhashi is in my opinion exceedingly needless. Madhouse's omissions are also grating on my nerves as well so no one can say I'm biased towards one or the other. I don't care how unique Furuhashi's portrayal of Kurapika is if it's inconsistant and does not match what the original author had in mind. You all are of course entitiled to your opinion, but I don't think 1999 is special at all, nor is Madhouse's better. They're both just different from each other. That's it.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top