Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Well, I guess it's my turn to give my opinion on this...


For starters, I wasn't a HxH fan when the new series started, and therefore didn't have the nostalgia mask on me. Yes, I was aware of the series and aware of some plot point from random episodes I saw on TV back in the day, but wasn't that familiar with it until I decided to start buying the manga. I was going to start watching the old series, but the news of the remake changed my mind and decided to watch the new one instead as well as catching up on the manga.


Now, as for which one is better, here's what I say: Since I'm a guy who cares about the plot over anything else, I prefer the one closest to the original material and made the least amount of deviations or changes. Back in the day, I didn't really care that much about differences between adapted material and source materials and enjoyed some TV original materials, but there are two things that changed my mind and made realize the importance of sticking to the source material: Black Cat the anime and the Harry Potter movies.


Black Cat is one my most favorite shonen series of all time. Great story, great characters, and great art. It's so good that I went ahead and bought all the manga volumes. (It ranks 15the place in my top 20 anime and manga of all time). And when the sign that says a 20 volume manga is adapted to a mere 25 episodes, yeah... something doesn't sound right... and boy did I hate that anime!! The anime was total crap! They got the plot wrong, they got the characters wrong, they got everything wrong! And that pissed me off a lot! How could they destroy a great series to be made into a shallow anime like that?!


As for the Harry Potter movies, yeah, I know they are movies and they can't adapt everything from the books, but as of Goblet of Fire, I started to dislike them more and more. Not just with the plot, but with the characters. I wanted to see the house elves and they didn't bring them up. Not to mention the challenges in the maze that was looking forward to.


Thanks to them, I started to put the plot over everything in an adaptation. Hell, even Jurassic Park-my all time favorite movie I started to dislike after reading the novel. The Lost World even more because the novel and the movie are so different from each other.


Back to Hunter x Hunter, the old series made a lot of unnecessary changes in plot and characters, and I didn't like them. And not to repeat what everyone else has already said, but Furuhashi's direction felt like he didn't know what he was working on. He didn't understand the characters, didn't understand the plot, didn't understand the key elements and that's why this series did not appeal to manga readers who dis any changes from the original source material. Yeah, it got a lot of fans to the series and there are still who use the "Without the old series the new one wouldn't be popular" card. Yes, that may what introduced us to it, but the real reason for the popularity of the new one is this:


The new series got it right this time. They got the mood right, they got the characters right and know what they are working on. A lot of the negative views on it was because the old series purists didn't see the fake darkness they had in their series. Their series started "dark and gloomy" and din't like how happy and cheerful the new one is and called it a "dumbed down version for the kiddies" without realizing that the manga started that way. I mean, just look at the front cover:



Does this cover look like a "dark, edgy, serious and gloomy" series? No. It looks like a light hearted shonen series. The manga did get darker as it went on, but it did not start that way. But thanks to the direction of the old series it made it sound like HxH is dark beginning to end and all goofy moment in the new series are out of place and considered an "insult" even though the old series had its share of goofy moments as well. For example: Gon vs Hanzo fight. They didn't like the comedic aspect of the fight even though it was supposed to be comedic.


Now, is what I said means all changes are bad? not necessary. Sometimes changes are good if they fixed something. Most notably is Hisoka's massacre in the swamps. I know that a lot of fans didn't like how it was handled in the new series, but me personally, I prefer that change of the manga. In the manga, Hisoka started out as a psycho who wants to kill everything in sight. But after reading Heaven's Arena for the first time, I realized that Hisoka is not that psycho that we first knew him. He is cool headed, he fights smart, he doesn't go on bloody rampages killing everyone he sees. Here's another example of a change fixing something: Ninku. The Ninku manga didn't have the same story as the anime, but the anime did have a plot compared to the manga. That change made the anime a better version than the manga it was based on. Here's another example: Cell's regeneration ability from Dragon Ball. In the original version he says that as long as the nucleus in his head is intact, he can keep regenerating. But that contradicts how he regenerated after blowing off his upper torso. FUNimation's dub fixed this by saying having a single living cell in his body instead.


Is the old series complete sh!t? No. There are some good moments, but they are few and overlooked when you have the majority of the series wrong.

Is the new series perfect? No. There were some bad changes made and I didn't like them, but they are few and didn't leave much impact to the plot.
 
Last edited:

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^I actually liked the Phantom Troupes introduction in the Madhouse version better than both the manga, and Nippon animations version.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^I don't remember how the manga had it... lol I just thought that 2011 had better voice actors and the whole presentation of them.. Than the 1999 anime.. lol
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Phantom Troupes introduction in the 1999 series follows the manga almost panel for panel.


 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Phantom Troupes introduction in the 1999 series follows the manga almost panel for panel.


Like i'm sayin the 1999 presented the material weaker. They didn't even end it how the manga had it...It just seemed like an insignificant part of the story...The manga is actually done better than the 1999 anime .. lol The 2011 is equal in my eyes. =[]
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Like i'm sayin the 1999 presented the material weaker. They didn't even end it how the manga had it...It just seemed like an insignificant part of the story...The manga is actually done better than the 1999 anime .. lol The 2011 is equal in my eyes. =[]
One thing I must say is that 1999 seems not to understand the importance of the scene. It doesnt have any subtlety or nuance and definitely does not emphasise the importance of these characters introduction. 2011 on the other hand is subtle, nuanced, memorable and seems like an incredibly important moment. There is emphasis on the introduction of the Troupe. Madhouse set things up so we know, these characters are IMPORTANT. 99 is just so pedestrian in its direction of that scene.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
One thing I must say is that 1999 seems not to understand the importance of the scene. It doesnt have any subtlety or nuance and definitely does not emphasise the importance of these characters introduction. 2011 on the other hand is subtle, nuanced, memorable and seems like an incredibly important moment. There is emphasis on the introduction of the Troupe. Madhouse set things up so we know, these characters are IMPORTANT. 99 is just so pedestrian in its direction of that scene.
Thats exactly how i saw it. The manga put emphasis on the part. So it's weird that the 1999 anime would pass it off like it meant nothing. The 2011 may have changed how it was handled but it got the point across. Which is something i like..
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Thats exactly how i saw it. The manga put emphasis on the part. So it's weird that the 1999 anime would pass it off like it meant nothing. The 2011 may have changed how it was handled but it got the point across. Which is something i like..
2011 adds even further emphasis onto it in my opinion. I actually like 2011 version of the Troupe intro better than the manga. I think it was almost a love letter to the Troupe, it's clear to me that Madhouse loves this source material and wanted to show their love of these characters and they did an amazing job.
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Forgot there was a thread for this. Thought I'd share the Hunter x Hunter 99 vs 2011 Anime Say episode. He hits some pretty good points and his overall opinion on this arguement is pretty fair.

http://youtu.be/4UXrKUAkLHw
Can't say 2011 Hisoka bears any resemblance to the manga's either.

edit:

2011's presentation of the Troupe was anything but subtle. In what way, shape or form is that subtle compared to the 1999 version? You could argue that it's better but subtle is definitely the incorrect reason.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Can't say 2011 Hisoka bears any resemblance to the manga's either.

edit:

2011's presentation of the Troupe was anything but subtle. In what way, shape or form is that subtle compared to the 1999 version? You could argue that it's better but subtle is definitely the incorrect reason.
I agree. 1999 was more subtle and low key.
2011 was much more dramatized.

1999 was TOO low key IMO.

2011 was good except for no power walk and no Chrollo awesome shirt.

While I am still a manga purist. I actually like the change of everyone trying to guess
what Chrollo wants to steal during the meeting. It made the "we'll steal everything"
that much more dramatic. The manga is not very dramatic except for the power walk
which then is mega dramatic.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I agree. 1999 was more subtle and low key.
2011 was much more dramatized.

1999 was TOO low key IMO.

2011 was good except for no power walk and no Chrollo awesome shirt.

While I am still a manga purist. I actually like the change of everyone trying to guess
what Chrollo wants to steal during the meeting. It made the "we'll steal everything"
that much more dramatic. The manga is not very dramatic except for the power walk
which then is mega dramatic.
Dude you love that power walk don't you? haha
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wait! I thought Chrollo's voice in the 1999 anime was awesome! Or at least... I remembered it to be. It just sounds so... pathetic, for some reason. Now, Kir... I mean, Chrollo's voice in Madhouse's version rocks.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dude you love that power walk don't you? haha
It's like the best thing to happen to dutch angles since Battlefield Earth.

---------- Post added September 07, 2012 at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was September 01, 2012 at 08:38 AM ----------

Alright and now I think out of sheer boredom I shall compare the pacing of the two anime---via Volumes.


1999 complete Volume 1 at episode 8

2011 complete Volume 1 at episode 5

1999 completes Volume 2 at episode 14

2011 completes Volume 2 at episode 9

1999 completes Volume 3 at episode 22

2011 completes Volume 3 at episode 15

1999 completes Volume 4 at episode 29

2011 completes Volume 4 at episode 20

1999 completes Volume 5 at episode 37

2011 completes Volume 5 at episode 27

1999 completes Volume 6 at episode 40

2011 completes Volume 6 at episode 32

1999 completes Volume 7 at episode 44

2011 completes Volume 7 at episode 36

1999 completes Volume 8 at episode 52

2011 completes Volume 8 at episode 43

1999 completes Volume 9 at episode 56

2011 has yet to complete this volume

1999 completes Volume 10 at episode 60

2011 has yet to complete this volume

1999 ends at Volume 11 at episode 62

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 1 ends Volume 11 at episode 63

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 1 ends Volume 12 at episode 67

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 1 ends at Volume 13 at episode 70

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 2 ends Volume 13 at episode 74

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 2 ends with Volume 14 at episode 78

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 3 ends Volume 15 at Episode 82

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 3 ends Volume 16 at Episode 85

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 3 ends Volume 17 at Episode 88

2011 has yet to complete this volume

OVA 3 ends at Volume 18 at Episode 92

2011 has yet to complete this volume
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^Why can't some people just accept that the 1999 anime is dead, and it's never coming back.... lol.
 

bobop

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
196
Reaction score
319
Gender
Male
Country
Reunion
I find the initiative kinda stupid, because it's not going to happen (is Nippon Animation still in activity ?). But i must say i'm very curious to see how the 1999 staff would handle this arc. I just re-read this awesome arc not so long ago, and i was thinking " Wow this shit is going to be really tough to adapt".
How are they going to retranscript the awesome narration, the voice acting (Gon, Killua) has to be top notch, the background, the art, the tension....
Seriously, Madhouse had to make head strides in term of music direction.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,674
Reaction score
61,376
Gender
Male
Country
France
It's really funny.He really thinks it's possible to do that?Can't wait to see what will happen in October:3c.
 

riniloves

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
224
Reaction score
179
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
they cant do that anymore... Coz I heard major anime studious Including the 99 who made that version bid hard to get HxH animated again.... at least in that studios part they wanted to pursue Chimera... I also heard the people behind Level E(Studio Pierrot?) pursued Togashi...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top