Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^Why can't some people just accept that the 1999 anime is dead, and it's never coming back.... lol.
Even if the 1999 magically came back to life and continued the Chimera Ant arc
it would NOT be the same as the 1999 series that people love and remember.


Take a look at 99 and then look at the Greed Island OVAs.

They don't really look the same do they?

Now part of this is due to the budget. But I think much of it is due to changes in technology
and changes in staff, and changes in artistic direction.


Oh and anyone who thinks a 99 Chimera Ant Arc would be more violent and be shown
at the same time as Madhouse is showing 2011 Hunter x Hunter...isn't thinking straight.

The same censorship standards would apply. Remember that the OVAs weren't on TV
(I'm pretty sure they weren't) so they don't count... And even THEY were censored.

I'm sorry to say but just due to the fact it's been 10 years...Many 99 fans would ironically end up hating a 99 Chimera Ant arc. Especially given many hated Greed Island OVA. :derp
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Even if the 1999 magically came back to life and continued the Chimera Ant arc
it would NOT be the same as the 1999 series that people love and remember.


Take a look at 99 and then look at the Greed Island OVAs.

They don't really look the same do they?

Now part of this is due to the budget. But I think much of it is due to changes in technology
and changes in staff, and changes in artistic direction.


Oh and anyone who thinks a 99 Chimera Ant Arc would be more violent and be shown
at the same time as Madhouse is showing 2011 Hunter x Hunter...isn't thinking straight.

The same censorship standards would apply. Remember that the OVAs weren't on TV
(I'm pretty sure they weren't) so they don't count... And even THEY were censored.

I'm sorry to say but just due to the fact it's been 10 years...Many 99 fans would ironically end up hating a 99 Chimera Ant arc. Especially given many hated Greed Island OVA. :derp
The censorship standards are different now then what they were (presumably). I also recall in the GI OVAs
Gon got his arm blown to pulp by Bomber and that wasn't censored at all
. I think it would be great if the '99 cast did the CA arc. In fact I would say that the '99 approach would actually be 100% faithful in respect of the CA arc whereas I heavily suspect that the '11 version would have some fairly large differences.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The censorship standards are different now then what they were (presumably). I also recall in the GI OVAs
Gon got his arm blown to pulp by Bomber and that wasn't censored at all
. I think it would be great if the '99 cast did the CA arc. In fact I would say that the '99 approach would actually be 100% faithful in respect of the CA arc whereas I heavily suspect that the '11 version would have some fairly large differences.
OVAs are not shown on TV so naturally they can get away with more. However since even the OVAs had censorship-- Of course what was censored
was extremely violent. However I don't think the actual 99 TV series could not have gotten away with what the OVAs got away with.

Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't. But we'll never know.

I'm hoping Madhouse doesn't have much difference. I'm hoping Greed Island gets back on track.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The censorship standards are different now then what they were (presumably). I also recall in the GI OVAs
Gon got his arm blown to pulp by Bomber and that wasn't censored at all
. I think it would be great if the '99 cast did the CA arc. In fact I would say that the '99 approach would actually be 100% faithful in respect of the CA arc whereas I heavily suspect that the '11 version would have some fairly large differences.
The YorkNew arc tends to disagree. Which has been way more violent than the 99' anime.
 

Diivil

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
229
Reaction score
238
Gender
Hidden
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
what are your thought on episode 47 of the '11 series?
what did you like and dislike about it?
and comparing it to the '99 series equivalent of the episode which one do you think was dominant overall?
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
what are your thought on episode 47 of the '11 series?
what did you like and dislike about it?
and comparing it to the '99 series equivalent of the episode which one do you think was dominant overall?
I know you're asking mousiehamster but my thoughts are that

2011 has the more accurate and imo better Kurapika vs Uvogin fight.

However 1999 was the more accurate overall episode and better in that regard.
Since it included Gon's scenes. Sure 2011 might add them in next week
but it doesn't have the same feel as it would have.

Overall for Yorknew I say

Kurapika and the Troupe=2011
Gon, Killua and Leorio=1999
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
The YorkNew arc tends to disagree. Which has been way more violent than the 99' anime.
Not the violence but the general tone of the proceedings.

what are your thought on episode 47 of the '11 series?
what did you like and dislike about it?
and comparing it to the '99 series equivalent of the episode which one do you think was dominant overall?
If you are referring to the fight, i would say they were quite similar. I do think that ep 47 finally depicted Kurapica properly, so that is a big plus. The semi-interrogation (kurapika punching holes in Uvo) was also made possible by less censorship and in my opinion, constituted a large part of the drama of the scene (although I note not so much in the manga). Choreography was roughly the same for both of them; music has always been bad in the 2011 adaptation. I would rate the 2011 episode higher than the 1999 one, 8 for the old one and 9 for the new one.
 

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
If you are referring to the fight, i would say they were quite similar. I do think that ep 47 finally depicted Kurapica properly, so that is a big plus. The semi-interrogation (kurapika punching holes in Uvo) was also made possible by less censorship and in my opinion, constituted a large part of the drama of the scene (although I note not so much in the manga). Choreography was roughly the same for both of them; music has always been bad in the 2011 adaptation. I would rate the 2011 episode higher than the 1999 one, 8 for the old one and 9 for the new one.
surprised to hear you say this. 47 is great, probably the all-around best episode so far in 2011, but 99 is on another level altogether. this is primarily due to the tone and artistic choices the 99 staff made.
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
surprised to hear you say this. 47 is great, probably the all-around best episode so far in 2011, but 99 is on another level altogether. this is primarily due to the tone and artistic choices the 99 staff made.
To be honest, in general I'm not a huge fan of the fight. The way it was structured leaves a lot of room for elaboration imo, but the 99 anime didn't do any of that. It was also very matter-of-fact in its explanation of Kurapica's abilities, whereas the 2011 adaptation placed the correct amount of emphasis on the different chains and Kurapica's nature as a specialist. Lastly, the torture was done far better in the 2011 edition vs. the 1999 edition (due to censorship) as well as the manga. In truth, some parts of the manga confuse me. The depictions of the character are unaccountably light hearted in what appear to be very serious scenes. I would place that down to Togashi's state of health at the time.

Either way, perhaps I need to rewatch the 1999 episode again - it's been a while. From the top of my mind, the two things that I did like about the 1999 episode was the can flicking, the music and the prayer.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
In truth, some parts of the manga confuse me. The depictions of the character are unaccountably light hearted in what appear to be very serious scenes. I would place that down to Togashi's state of health at the time.
What do you mean by this, exactly?
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
The characters are drawn to look... I don't know, like they're right out of a comedy i.e. the sort of faces you see in humorous moment. In serious moments these sort of faces appear occasionally, whether this is in the Hunter Exam or York Shin. Since G.I though things seem to have gotten a lot more serious.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The characters are drawn to look... I don't know, like they're right out of a comedy i.e. the sort of faces you see in humorous moment. In serious moments these sort of faces appear occasionally, whether this is in the Hunter Exam or York Shin. Since G.I though things seem to have gotten a lot more serious.
I think I sorta see what you mean. When Uvogin gets hit by the Aribiter little finger he's drawn kinda silly.

Though it doesn't hurt the mood for me. Because it reminds me of how Tezuka's stories are...He draws very cartoony
and yet some of his stories are really serious in mood. Sometimes I think cartoony can have greater effect than realism.

I admit...I kinda miss the Kurapika deflecting the crushed can even though it's not in the manga. That was a nice touch by the 99.
 

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
Either way, perhaps I need to rewatch the 1999 episode again - it's been a while. From the top of my mind, the two things that I did like about the 1999 episode was the can flicking, the music and the prayer.
yeah. the can flicking, music, prayer, the direction during the cloud of dust scene (seriously it was amazing), the imagery here and there (bleeding moon), kurapica's one scarlet eye looking so mesmerizing as he tortured ubo, the flashback with mizuken being better directed with so many unspoken things, the interrogation had a lot more unspoken emotions in 1999 (though yes, madhouse's version is more violent), the breakdown after (though manga purists will claim to hate it), the overall atmosphere/feel of desolation in the entire episode, etc etc.

what i'd give to 2011 is the beginning of the action up until the end of the first half of the 1999 series (i never cared for how 1999 handled this back then. the "20%" now "50%" thing was annoying). and oh, the black and white scene in the end.

anyway that's just my view, i still think this is a great episode from madhouse :) but 1999 has the edge for the coherent directional intent and artistry (as usual). you should watch it again.
 
Last edited:

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

oh wow, i just read some parts of shinobi's "comparisons."

"kurapica is a girl in nippon animation's version." what a load of BULLSHIT. yes, there were some "questionable" scenes with kurapica, but as a whole he was portrayed as a guy. don't generalize and spread false information up when you don't have any evidence backing you up.

you know, i used to defend 2011 from the rabid 1999 fans, but these kinds of COMPLETELY UNFAIR posts made me change my mind.

if you want to defend 2011 from the unfair attacks, then by all means do so. but don't drag 1999 into this whole affair and bash it unfairly just to make your precious series look better. you're simply repeating what the bashers are doing that made you feel the need to defend 2011 in the first place!
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

oh wow, i just read some parts of shinobi's "comparisons."

"kurapica is a girl in nippon animation's version." what a load of BULLSHIT. yes, there were some "questionable" scenes with kurapica, but as a whole he was portrayed as a guy. don't generalize and spread false information up when you don't have any evidence backing you up.

you know, i used to defend 2011 from the rabid 1999 fans, but these kinds of COMPLETELY UNFAIR posts made me change my mind.

if you want to defend 2011 from the unfair attacks, then by all means do so. but don't drag 1999 into this whole affair and bash it unfairly just to make your precious series look better. you're simply repeating what the bashers are doing that made you feel the need to defend 2011 in the first place!
Would just like to comment on a few things on the episode comparison from the earlier thread.



This is a moment, both in the manga as well as the 2011 anime, where it is perfectly natural for Kurapica to act the way he did. Indeed in the 2011 version, Kurapica shows sorrow as well.



Do you actually look at the screenshots you capture or are you just here to spread misinformation? Kurapica doesn't cry for Uvogin. He fell on his knees because he was drained from Emperor Time.

As for Kurapica being a girl: guess what, Kurapica's a trap since day-one and this is Togashi's intent.

Please stop propagating your nonsense and misinformation.
You know, it's posts like these that make me so happy that I could really give less than half a shit over what version is better or not. To be fair, I like 2011 and 1999 and even I found Shinobi's comparison this week to be a little heavy handed. It's one thing state that you felt one series represented what you wanted to see in the adaptation, but another to bash it mindlessly. Though in that regard, thse posts also don't hide much of a bias towards the 1999 version either. I found Kurapika's depiction in 1999 to be a bit too inconsistent TBH, the 2011 one may not have been perfect either, but at least he had one feeling and stuck with it. I don't really know about the 'artistic' merit of 1999 since...I feel like the fight was far too rushed and the emotions far too forced for me to really 'feel' anything. Maybe the storyboard was better, since it was a bit more understated than MH which was a bit showy and flashy, (which works in some parts of the fight, but really detracts from the main point; the characters.), but the portrayal of the characters (in 1999) was slapdash at best. It was too fast, and they were too conflicting for Furuhashi's point (which Togashi touches upon later, therefore making the reasoning for these changes all that much more pointless) to really stick. Kurapika isn't supposed to be a person to sympathize with at this point.....not yet anyway. Togashi eases us into his frame of mind towards the end of the arc, which is much better than forcing us to feel for him during this fight. I don't see the point of portraying Kurapika this way when the author does so later anyway.

Shinobi isn't right whether he's kidding or not, and I agree with fans being upset with him. This back and forth bashing is getting us no where though, and we'd be all better without it. Neither series is perfect, and it doesn't fucking matter or even make sense to start spouting about which is better.
 
Last edited:

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Umm... I don't anybody on this board so far has ever genuinely "bashed" anything. "Bashing" to me would be like "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 1999 sux 2011 4EVER SUCK IT HATERZ!!!" or vice-versa. Everybody that has said something positive or negative about either series usually give reasons as to why they think such and such. In the few cases they don't, usually after somebody asks for clarification they proceed to do so.

I think there's absolutely no problem in pointing out flaws, good points, and yes, even "hating" either series, as long as you provide reasons. Likewise, there's no problem in criticizing another's point of view if you disagree. After all, isn't that why these boards exist? To discuss?
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
yeah. the can flicking, music, prayer, the direction during the cloud of dust scene (seriously it was amazing), the imagery here and there (bleeding moon), kurapica's one scarlet eye looking so mesmerizing as he tortured ubo, the flashback with mizuken being better directed with so many unspoken things, the interrogation had a lot more unspoken emotions in 1999 (though yes, madhouse's version is more violent), the breakdown after (though manga purists will claim to hate it), the overall atmosphere/feel of desolation in the entire episode, etc etc.

what i'd give to 2011 is the beginning of the action up until the end of the first half of the 1999 series (i never cared for how 1999 handled this back then. the "20%" now "50%" thing was annoying). and oh, the black and white scene in the end.

anyway that's just my view, i still think this is a great episode from madhouse :) but 1999 has the edge for the coherent directional intent and artistry (as usual). you should watch it again.
This episode (47 or 56) should be taken as a case study of what is different between the two adaptions rather than fuel for this endless (and pointless) debate over which is better.

Madhouse has a knack for the showy, the gaudy, the fast and the colorful. That shows with the art choices, the music choices, and the voice acting. If you like that sort of thing, then 2011 is where it's at. I also believe that it is a bit more consistent with Kurapika's emotions and motives than the 1999 version. (I mean he developed all these super awesome chain action abilities to destroy the spiders, and then breaks down when in the midst of killing one? I don't know about you, but Kurapika doesn't seem this idealistic to think that the spiders will bow to him if he catches them.) As I said somewhere else, Kurapika's not supposed to be seen as a sympathetic character YET. Togashi gets to this later, and IMO does a better job with it. I like that he shows just a little that he wants to understand how the spiders could be so ruthless, yet kills one in the same vein. Though I do think the music is still sorta out of place, and far too gaudy for the scene it played on. MH needs to learn from 1999 that subtle doesn't equal bad.

Now that's not to say 1999 was a slouch though. The storyboard is much quieter, understated, and it adds to the bleakness of Kurapika's bid for revenge. It's quiet as death, and the voice acting is a little bit more restrained as is the music. There's an eerie sense of reproach as the two characters fight. It's not this loud street brawl that MH would have you think it is, instead it sounds and feels like a death match between two characters who don't believe they'll die that night, but knowing one of them HAS to. I liked the imagery of the moon and the direction of the smoke storm part, even if I felt like the fight was a little bit rushed. While I liked Kurapika praying and could tolerate his remorse in lower doses, the whole breaking down and prayer in the next episode was a little over the top. I do like the attention to his apperance in the next episode though, and hope MH will echo this.

Both approach the original material differently and have different degrees of success. 1999 is not a masterpiece. 2011 wasn't this amazing overhaul either. They're both good. They both had problems. Lets quit the bashing and enjoy what we like.

woot~ 1,300th post. I'm estatic. Or not.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

Umm... I don't anybody on this board so far has ever genuinely "bashed" anything. "Bashing" to me would be like "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 1999 sux 2011 4EVER SUCK IT HATERZ!!!" or vice-versa. Everybody that has said something positive or negative about either series usually give reasons as to why they think such and such. In the few cases they don't, usually after somebody asks for clarification they proceed to do so.

I think there's absolutely no problem in pointing out flaws, good points, and yes, even "hating" either series, as long as you provide reasons. Likewise, there's no problem in criticizing another's point of view if you disagree. After all, isn't that why these boards exist? To discuss?
Discussing is fine, and as I have always tried to say I think it's wonderful that we get a new series to discuss. Without 2011 we'd have nothing right now as the manga is on hiatus again. So no matter how much you hate 2011, it has that going for it.

It's just bringing up 1999 unprovoked just to say 'Lol 2011 is decent but 1999 is a masterpiece', is kind of annoying. The reverse is the same. I just don't see a point to it at all.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

I guess I made some enemies here!

This is a moment, both in the manga as well as the 2011 anime, where it is perfectly natural for Kurapica to act the way he did. Indeed in the 2011 version, Kurapica shows sorrow as well.
You mean before using the stake, right? But that was afterwards. In the 1999 version he felt disgusted at his/her actions from the first few punches. The 2011/manga Kurapika didn't care for what he was doing and kept asking and punching every time he didn't receive an answer.


Do you actually look at the screenshots you capture or are you just here to spread misinformation? Kurapica doesn't cry for Uvogin. He fell on his knees because he was drained from Emperor Time.
But she didn't say anything regarding using Emperor time. Plus the way her eyes were twitching didn't feel like of exhaustion, it felt like it was out of fear or regret or "I did a horrible thing!". And the "crying moon" didn't add anything to that? Not to mention the sad look on her eyes after burying Uvo compared the poker face in the manga/2011.


As for Kurapica being a girl: guess what, Kurapica's a trap since day-one and this is Togashi's intent.
It was Togashi's intent, but what about Furuhashi?! The one who saw Kurapika as a "Tragic Heroine Character?"

>変わらない部分としてはクラピカがヒロイン兼任する部分とキャスティ
ングの大部分かな。
A quote by the '99 anime director, it says that he saw Kurapika as a tragic heroine and wanted to portray him as a one so that's why the character is a little bit different than in the manga and gets more screen time. And yes "ヒロイン" is indeed a heroine and not a hero, no wonder so many people were confused with his gender. Kurapika was his waifu.
And what I said was not from my imagination unless I'm watching a fan-edited version that portrayed Kurapika as a female:

Episode 07: Look at this pictures. Are you telling me these are not breasts and his shirt "happened" to look like this?!



Episode 18: What's the deal with "his" reaction of seeing naked Leoreo?! Even he thought Kurapika's behavior was suspicious!



Episode 32: What's the deal of this pose?! Guess who else I saw doing this...




Episode 45: Need to remind you about the chain bondage scene?! Just give it watch to know what's the deal.



Aren't these hints enough to what was their direction?
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
I mean he developed all these super awesome chain action abilities to destroy the spiders, and then breaks down when in the midst of killing one?
What are you talking about? There was no "break down", I suggest that you watch ep. 56 again. There was a 5 seconds scene just after he killed him where he facepalmed himself (actually it lasted like 2 seconds) which was a result of fatigue after being in scarlet eyes mode. In a later episode he says the prayer which in no way suggest any kind of a break down but corresponds perfectly with what his master said, i.e. that these killings will give him nothing but emptiness. But he's not crying in the corner as you're suggesting, not even close. Thanks to this we get to know him better and can see directly how come he keeps his calm and sanity this whole time while not being a sociopath.

Anyway, even the best episode of a new version of Hunter x Hunter is worse than 1999 version and here we have another example of it. Overall, episodes 56th and 47th they are very similar but details make a difference. While quality of animation is better in the new one (obviously, it would be laughable if it wasn't although there were episodes where a 12 year older anime had better animation) the fight is over the top here as if taken out from Naruto or Bleach. Kurapica and Uvo jumping 100 meters high and actually staying that way for a few seconds (you can see it around 4th-5th minute) or Uvo running along the vertical slope make it look like some kind of a travesty when compared to the old anime. Plus there's still that narrator for kids which is annoying as hell.

And while I'm at it, one of the things I really didn't like in the recent episodes (there are tons of stupidities or examples of bad direction but I don't have time to write about them all) was the presentation of Kurapica's colleagues, especially the Haiku guy. In the old anime Uvo made a huge impact on me when he stopped the bullets as if they were flies but in the new one it was downgraded since even that Haiku guy could do it.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top