Football 2010 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
6,349
Gender
Female
Country
United States
For the first time, four teams from South America in the quarter-finals. Now I'm just thinking about a semi-finals with only south american teams. That would be awesome.

Maybe I'm dreaming too much. But dreaming is free.
Go, South America!
We have the same dream, Pirulitokun. :) I would love if Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay were the teams that will move on to the round of 4. That would be such a milestone for South American football. I know the chances of that happening are not that high, but as you said it doesn’t cost to dream.

I'm not sympathic with video technology to assist the referees. I don't know if it is because I'm used to discuss about polemics decisions and think about it as part of the game. And I can't imagine myself in football stadium without such controversial moments, even the crucial ones.
Watching on TV is too convenient and doesn't give even half of the feeling of a football match.
You know it is very interesting that you would mention the controversial factor in a football games. Dunga said something similar:

"I would leave it the way it is," said Brazil's coach, Dunga. "If there is no controversy in football, you wouldn't be there and I wouldn't be here."

Here’s an interesting article about it:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...tion-open-added-ref-technology&cc=5901?ver=us

But it doesn't mean I'm not open to see a test. I'm not a reactionary. If the technology proves to be good for football, why not?
As long as it doesn’t take away from the experience and enjoyment of watching a football game and as long it doesn’t mean interrupting the flow of the game for more than a couple of minutes, I will also be in favor of a test.
 

DanielKnoT

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
344
Reaction score
105
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
But is good the controversy sometimes...

Just imagine that FIFA would have eliminated the goal of Maradona with the hand against England..?

Or Henry's goal with the hand that put France in this World Cup...?

MLB put that technology and it is a dissaster.. Sometimes they debated for more than five or ten minutes to make a decision..

For Me, is not a good idea IMO..
 

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
2,281
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I'm too lazy to read all the 542 posts right now, so I don't know if somebody already said what I'm about to say.
What if the FIFA implements the hawk-eye system like in Wimbledon, and the rules could be like 1 or 2 calls for each team during a match?
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
24,938
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
No idea what that is lol..

a day without a WC match.... just horrible... can't believe I have to wait even more for another match... The feeling of having to wait another 4 years for the brazil WC is horrible...
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
I'm too lazy to read all the 542 posts right now, so I don't know if somebody already said what I'm about to say.
What if the FIFA implements the hawk-eye system like in Wimbledon, and the rules could be like 1 or 2 calls for each team during a match?
It was already discussed by the International Board, they argued it's not cost effective enough to implement, HE or any other technology of the sort. Cheap bastards.

Did I forget to mention that the International Board is composed of all british nations, including England?

 

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
2,281
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
No idea what that is lol..

a day without a WC match.... just horrible... can't believe I have to wait even more for another match... The feeling of having to wait another 4 years for the brazil WC is horrible...
Lol ... I understand how you fell.

Hawk-Eye is a computer system used in cricket, tennis and other sports to visually track the path of the ball and display a record of its most statistically likely path as a moving image
wiki
It was already discussed by the International Board, they argued it's not cost effective enough to implement, HE or any other technology of the sort. Cheap bastards.

Did I forget to mention that the International Board is composed of all british nations, including England?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_viWbhRtuOio/Sf2-6PoGEuI/AAAAAAAABOo/8Cpal4pjwcY/s400/Irony.jpg
The more I read Stuff like this the more I realize how aged is the FIFA, I think the staff live in The Flintstones era. No, seriously
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
24,938
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
While technology would help in certain scenarios, there'd be others where it'd be inconvenient... In football you juts can't stop and play and continue it, that is a part of the issue and why the referee has the last call. For instance, if a referee calls an offside and he was wrong you can't really continue the last play. If I do recall, there are also certain sports where people actually miss the referee making more decisions (I think that happens in american football).
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'm going to butt in and be late, but I was sad yesterday that Japan lost! Japan is not a soccer nation by any means so the team did great to come this far. I admit I didn't really follow FIFA as closely during the beginning. As the finals draw near, I'm starting to feel the passion. :)

Sorry for not contributing much to the discussion!
 

Kandascending

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
217
Reaction score
25
Gender
Female
Country
United States
^ that's how I felt too. and I think Japan played better, TBO. But the penalty kicks... ):

I wish I could have followed closer. School had me eavesdropping on whoever knew the score =.=
 

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,464
Country
Fun Forum
a day without a WC match.... just horrible... can't believe I have to wait even more for another match... The feeling of having to wait another 4 years for the brazil WC is horrible...
cold turkey lol

second day with no football already. My afternoons feel empty :(
Tomorrow and the day after tmrw will be -hopefully- awesome and make good for it.

Will be cheering for Germany like crazy, but tbh I expect Argentina to win.
 

DanielKnoT

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
344
Reaction score
105
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
cold turkey lol

second day with no football already. My afternoons feel empty :(
Tomorrow and the day after tmrw will be -hopefully- awesome and make good for it.

Will be cheering for Germany like crazy, but tbh I expect Argentina to win.
Really?? Germany is playing amazing, and I dont know but I think that Argentina deffense is very slow against Podolsky, Ozil, etc..
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
24,938
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
cold turkey lol

second day with no football already. My afternoons feel empty :(
Tomorrow and the day after tmrw will be -hopefully- awesome and make good for it.

Will be cheering for Germany like crazy, but tbh I expect Argentina to win.
I actually expected germany to win. Argentina has done well so far but my impression is that the german team as a whole works better, it has more structure.
 

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,464
Country
Fun Forum
I hope you're right, but I won't make the same mistake again I did after the Australia match an be too optimistic, because apparently the team also has its trouble sometimes, which we could see against Serbia..
 
Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Germany is gonna take this one.

Though i have a feeling that after Germany got revenge for '66 against England,Argentina will get their revenge for the quarterfinals in 2006.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
For the first time, four teams from South America in the quarter-finals. Now I'm just thinking about a semi-finals with only south american teams. That would be awesome.

Maybe I'm dreaming too much. But dreaming is free.
Go, South America!
You can see that Germany WC 2006 still hurts (4 European teams in semi finals) over there :XD

Well, there are some chances. I do consider Argentina and Brazil as viable candidates. But I think both Uruguay and Paraguay will lose their matches.

Ghana has the vibe
Spain will get the vibe against Parguay. Write it down: when no one expects it, Torres will be that extra input Spain is lacking at this moment

The most dangerous teams in a WC will always be the slow growers ;)
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
MLB put that technology and it is a dissaster.. Sometimes they debated for more than five or ten minutes to make a decision..

For Me, is not a good idea IMO..
That's simply not true, unless you're exaggerating to make a point (hyperbole). Think about how often a boundary call replay is actually needed -

* Home run calls (fair or foul)
* Whether the ball actually left the playing field
* Whether the ball was subject to spectator interference

The need for it is simply rare.

Now think about how often it would be needed in Soccer -

* Goal line calls (Goal or not)

The instance would be even rarer than in Baseball, which it needs to be due to Soccer being a much more fluid game....almost the opposite of Baseball really. Now whether off-sides calls should be added to the possibility list as well...I don't know if I agree. It happens too often. Maybe only off-sides calls that result in a disallowed goal, but nothing else.

The argument against using instant replay to this extent in Soccer is completely invalid IMO. Think about how often play is stopped when a player is carded, or when a player flops and won't get up in order to run out the clock. It would take less time than you think IMO.

A sport does not need controversy in order to be interesting. If Maradona was called for the "Hand of God" he may or may not have still been responsible for the "Goal of the Century", and then the game would have still been tied at that point. Anything could have happened. Just like the disallowed goal in England vs. Germany in this WC.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
It will not only be goal line calls, but offsides as well i think. Though i agree with you, it should be introduced. For all their excuses Fifa simply do not want to part with the cash. Imo its only going to be a matter of time before they do not have a choice though. The amount of money involved in some matches is ridiculous. It is no longer the 70's were the only people really affected were the fans. When something major happens that pisses some big clubs or sponsors out of a lot of money expect the morraly corrupt FIFA and blatter to introduce the technology in record time. -_-;
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
24,938
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
You can't use replays to call offsides.... What happens if there was not an offside? You can't continue the play that was stopped. It just would not work. The uses of technology in the game have to be extremely well thought out due to this kind of issues. Also, football is not a sport played only in rich first world countries, this is also an important fact. It is a completely different thing from baseball or american football (which are played mostly in USA(both of them) and Japan(baseball) as far as I know but I could be mistaken). If the usage of technology became standard then all professional teams will be forced to get this equipments. Teams in poor countries and b and c series can be extremely modest to the point of not being able to afford to keep the green in their grass(seriously). Heck, I have seen A league teams who can't afford to cover holes in the field (its quite fun to see the forwards try to score while practically swimming in front of the goal though). Would it be vaguely reasonable to expect this guys to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get the standard equipment? Heck no, it'd be unreasonably stupid and even beyond moronic. It reminds me of the south park episode where they found the cure of aids.... It turns out the cure was to blend 180000 dollars and inject them straight into your vein. Right after you saw a bunch of thrilled people telling this to the people in africa....

FIFA: We found a solution to all the plausible unfairness in football?

People: Awesome, what is it?

FIFA: You have to spend tens of thousands of dollars in top notch equipment!

European A league: PFFFF, been there done that.
Eupean B and C league: I guess we can work with that....
South american A league(top teams): hhmmmm.... I guess we can cut a few expenses and do this...
South american B and C league: HAH.... I think I heard wrong..... Wait what? Ok people, you are NOT gonna get paid this month and if you do not win games to bring more followers to the games things are gonna stay that way.

Lets not even touch africa and asia....
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
That's why I said I'd only be alright with using it for plays incorrectly resulting in a goal or a goal being disallowed due to an off sides call...

And economics factor into every decision leagues make. The ones with money who feel their reputations are the most at stake will spend the money for this "equipment". As far as I am concerned, all they need is a fourth official mic'ed up with the ability to view the replay so he can relay the decision down to the field, that's at least something.

On one hand, FIFA chides technology factoring into the game, yet the referee and his assistants all have headsets on and talk to each other throughout the entire match...it's backward.
 

Diadz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
21
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
So today's the day my team goes up against Brasil.

I think it will be a hard match for both teams, put im hoping the Dutch will win!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top