Football 2014 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Technically, if Portugal plays terribly and Ronaldo is somewhat hampered by his leg issues, the US could sneak into the knockout stages. I don't think it'll happen, but the reason you play matches is because nothing's a formality.
I was being sarcastic, and took advantage of Leo's typo
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I just noticed that USA can play against Russia in the 2nd round. It would be very interesting. Now I want this happening. :3c
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,102
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
But they should beat Ghana... and then the almighty Belgium
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
There's no reason we should make it out of groups...so Ghana doesn't really matter much, unless Portugal or Germany shit the bed
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There's no reason we should make it out of groups...so Ghana doesn't really matter much, unless Portugal or Germany shit the bed
Cristiano Ronaldo is already out of the first match against Germany. Root for Cristiano Ronaldo exclusion from second match and you guys will have a chance. :nod
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Cristiano Ronaldo is already out of the first match against Germany. Root for Cristiano Ronaldo exclusion from second match and you guys will have a chance. :nod
I doubt it
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Historically Portugal always sucks in qualifiers and performs at a much higher level in competitions. It'd be a shock if we didn't make it out of groups even without Cristiano, which I doubt is a scenario. If Ronaldo doesn't play against Germany it's a rather non-issue, as Portugal likely would have trouble winning that game anyway. As long as we make top 2 we're happy, and beating USA and Ghana should be expected even without Ronaldo, but anything can happen.

Some have rather hilarious statements about Ronaldo's performance on the national selection too. In tournaments he always does well. In Euro 2012 he basically carried Portugal alone in all the matches we won, and did a phenomenal job. We fell short to Spain in a close game where Portugal actually had the greater goal chances besides Spain's one big chance which resulted in a goal and 1-0 victory. IMO no team came close to showing the same level of resistance vs Spain in that Euro. The Spain v Portugal match was the best match anyone played vs Spain.
 
Last edited:

Starrked

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
296
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just want Spain to win.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Cristiano Ronaldo is already out of the first match against Germany. Root for Cristiano Ronaldo exclusion from second match and you guys will have a chance. :nod
Are you a hater of Ronaldo?

Why would anyone root for a star player's exclusion in any match? I'm so against such mindsets. I don't want to see Real Madrid beat Barcelona without Messi, that just sucks. Yes it's cool to see your team benefit, but at the same time it's bad for the match and football to see star players out. Ribery isn't playing for France in the WC either, which sucks IMO. He's easily France's best player and France won't be the same without him, which sucks for football IMO. I'm not gonna hope Neymar gets injured if Portugal meets Brazil for example, that just sucks. I want to have every match be played in their prime state, or at least with the players they would normally play with.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

I just want Spain to win.
Again? Boring.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Ramos gonna carry Spain easily. He's in prime form and is gonna score important goals, just wait and see. Continuing his latest personal success in Madrid. I believe in Ramos the God. Hope he gets recognized in the ballon d'or next year.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't care what happens with Cristiano Ronaldo, but it would lead to a boring discussion which I would be crucified. I will maintain my mouth shut this time. :p
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ribery isn't playing for France in the WC either, which sucks IMO. He's easily France's best player and France won't be the same without him, which sucks for football IMO.
And now the exclusion of Nasri from the squad will be rued. He would've been a good replacement for Ribery. Sucks for him to miss the tournament; this would probably be his last chance at the tournament.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,102
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I dunno, I like France's team even if their 2 biggest names aren't out. With Griezmann, Valbuena and Cabaye, they shouldn't miss Ribery and Nasri IMO.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
WTF Ronaldo is not gonna play vs Germany?

There are some chances of that happening, but there hasn't been any news that say that it's definitely gonna happen.
And it's true that Portugal relies a lot on Cristiano, but we also have some other nice players.

Still kinda pissed though that Quaresma wasn't called. In case you guys don't know who Quaresma is, he is a player that could easily be one of the best if he had his head at the place he should. I wouldn't say better than Ronaldo, but prolly around Ribery/Robben level.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,102
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
No way he's around Ribery/Robben. He was rejected in every big team he played (besides Porto) ffs, lol.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
No way he's around Ribery/Robben. He was rejected in every big team he played (besides Porto) ffs, lol.
I said if he had the right mindset he could be on the same level as them. I didn't say he is. Quaresma at some point was even bigger than Ronaldo here, but one had the right mindset and the other wasted his talent and the chance of being a great player.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
As good as those players are, they aren't experienced on the big stage like the World Cup. Not to say Nasri ( didn't make the team in 2010), having only European competition experience but still a valuable inclusion to the squad imo. But like you've pointed out, Valbuena and Cabaye are very good step ins for Ribery.

I guess I'm just very gutted for Nasri; having now missed 2 World Cups. Though it's understandable, as he's not been prominent to the Man City team and found himself in a similar situation around 2010 too.

So Germany are only taking ONE out and out striker, Miroslav Klose? who will be 36 by the time the tournament starts :huh
Now, I don't follow the german national team very much, so I have to ask, isn't there anyone else they could've taken?
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Mario Gomez? I used to think that he was such a great player, i actually never understood why Bayern let him out like that.

But i think he didn't do that great this year on Italy, and i am not sure, but he might be or have been injured for some time.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,102
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
It might be like that on paper, but on the other hand Podolski and Mueller can play as a foward without any problems, and Gotze has played as a fake 9 before (and Reus and Draxler are more Wings than actual midfielders). In fact, I expect Klose to be a sub, he's only there to potentially break Ronaldo's record, lol.
 

Saintz0r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
192
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Klose is one goal short of drawing against Ronaldo as WC's all-time top scorer, I think that's why he's going

Germany could always play with Thomas Muller in the attack if there's need


Quaresma reminds me of Robinho in a certain way hahaha
Robinho was better than him, but he could've been one of the best and threw his chance away
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
So Germany are only taking ONE out and out striker, Miroslav Klose? who will be 36 by the time the tournament starts :huh
Now, I don't follow the german national team very much, so I have to ask, isn't there anyone else they could've taken?
That's more a thing of the system. Löw doesn't follow the old "out and out striker" philosophy from what I heard. The guy that was sent home is from a rather weak club and the other option, Gomez, is injured too badly to be taken along. So Germany may nominally only have one striker, but in reality we have lots of forward midfielders that take in those places. That on the other hand might be needed to start defending right in the forward midfield if the defense remains the weakest part of the team.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top