Football 2014 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
France was already sure to advance, even as leader in the group. They had 6 points and a GD of +6 before the last match while Switzerland and Ecuador had each 3 points with having a GD of -1 and 0 respectively.
True, you wouldn't have expected that there was any real way that France could've lost badly enough to fail to win the group, let alone fail to qualify, but the chance was there. The Franch subs/reserves dominated the match against Ecuador, the final balls just weren't good enough and the strikers were missing shots. All told, the subs/reserves didn't show any reasons why they should deserve to start.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
France did and, unlike Belgium, weren't already assured of advancing, although France would've had to have had a massive reversal of fortunes to fail to win the group, let alone fail to qualify. France's play was pretty boring and labored against Ecuador in the 0-0 draw.

Koen, obviously the third match was difficult to judge for obvious reasons, but Belgium did not look very good in the first two matches. Of course, countries have won the WC while playing really poorly, or have looked awful in the group stages and then turned it on. It's just that Belgium's primary three attackers, Hazard, KDB, and Lukaku were all pretty average/poor. KBB and Hazard both had a few moments to shine with assists and all, but they weren't that good overall, and you'll need them to be more incisive and influential if you want to progress.
I totally agree, the only one who is playing on a decent level is Axel Witsel. Don't misunderstand me, I am also disappointed about how Belgium has played untill now. BUT a group stage game is totally different from a knock out game. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised about Vertonghen too in his last match. This is Vertonghen I want to see. If our players are playing like they have played in the prelimanaries phase then we should defeat USA
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I totally agree, the only one who is playing on a decent level is Axel Witsel. Don't misunderstand me, I am also disappointed about how Belgium has played untill now. BUT a group stage game is totally different from a knock out game. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised about Vertonghen too in his last match. This is Vertonghen I want to see. If our players are playing like they have played in the prelimanaries phase then we should defeat USA
I couldn't really determine how well Witsel was playing. He made a good amount of interceptions, but, and I could be wrong here as I didn't pay that much attention to him in the two matches he played, his passing wasn't great on the days. It's hard to say.

Yes, knockout stage matches are quite clearly different. You're not going to face more defensive sides, in general, and the levels, apart from some of the Round of 16 matches, are usually similar.

Jan did play pretty well. Well, yeah, if Belgium plays like they did in WC Qualifying and in their friendlies, they'll smash the US, but if it's the same Belgium who look impotent until after the 70th minute, I'd give the US a fairly decent chance to progress.

Oh, in terms of Defour's red card, that was never a red card, merely a yellow.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Even in belgium we agree it was a red ... and that the goal was not valid. It was off side
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Dude how isn't it dangerous, he's raising his foot. He could had easily injured the other player. It's called ¨plancha¨ here but I dunno how it's said in English. It reminds me of the red card Tévez had against Paraguay in 2008

Jump to 2:30


It's a red card, simple as that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
It looked like he intentionally went for the man and he hit him with the sole. Going by the criteria of red cards so far that perfectly matches, just like Italy the other day.
And the other guys hitting players still has no consequences :eyeroll
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oh, in terms of Defour's red card, that was never a red card, merely a yellow.
Going with the sole of the boot on the adversary is red card, it is the rule. It happened before in other matches and it was punished the same way.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
US is gonna kick more asses, I can't wait. :dance
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Oh, I know how people have been punished for similar tackles, but I'm arguing that it wasn't a red because of how it came about.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Oh, I know how people have been punished for similar tackles, but I'm arguing that it wasn't a red because of how it came about.
So you need to injury someone to get a red card ? <_>
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So you need to injury someone to get a red card ? <_>
No, don't twist my words, but usually when that rule is applied, there's a little more to it. The tackle came in late and then he accidentally stepped on him, but immediately removed the boot as soon as he realized that he'd stepped on him. It's not like he attacked the standing leg or anything while studs up. "Studs up" is too general of a statement to just hand out a red for like that.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,231
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
No, don't twist my words, but usually when that rule is applied, there's a little more to it. The tackle came in late and then he accidentally stepped on him, but immediately removed the boot as soon as he realized that he'd stepped on him. It's not like he attacked the standing leg or anything while studs up. "Studs up" is too general of a statement to just hand out a red for like that.
I don't know why you're assuming that was "accidental". It looks pretty deliberate to me.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I dunno how the fact that he didn't stay with his foot over the other player's leg for like 3 seconds has anything to do here. He hit him, he could had easily broken the toher player's ankle, red card.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So you need to injury someone to get a red card ? <_>
Maybe he has to stain the card with blood to turn it red. :3c

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

I dunno how the fact that he didn't stay with his foot over the other player's leg for like 3 seconds has anything to do here. He hit him, he could had easily broken the toher player's ankle, red card.
Indeed.
We're talking about professional soccer here, there were other ways to pick that ball and he knew that, he chose the wrong way by his own will though.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm rooting for USA because americans are cute. They feel almighty just because they qualified to the round of 16 even though they're nothing when it comes to soccer. They're so cute. Everything is new for them, just like kids... :blush
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,231
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm rooting for USA because americans are cute. They feel almighty just because they qualified to the round of 16 even though they're nothing when it comes to soccer. They're so cute. Everything is new for them, just like kids... :blush
How do we feel almighty? Seems like you're taking stupid articles to heart or something. Seems like you're generalizing here.

Frosty and I aren't delusional

It isn't a big deal for us to move to the knockout round. But it is when you look at who was in our group. That's the only reason a big deal is being made. It was the same when we won our group over England in 2010.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

I must say, you already win with journalists. Ours are often soporiphic but yours are insane. The last one i read was hilarious: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/a-matt...hy-u-s--cannot-lose-to-belgium-185014675.html
I'd buy into the stupid premise if he wrote this article about us playing Algeria...but lol
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How do we feel almighty? Seems like you're taking stupid articles to heart or something. Seems like you're generalizing here.

Frosty and I aren't delusional

It isn't a big deal for us to move to the knockout round. But it is when you look at who was in our group. That's the only reason a big deal is being made. It was the same when we won our group over England in 2010.
I knew you would bite the bait. XD
I was fooling around with the article. :p

The part I said I'm rooting for you guys was no joke though. GO USA! :arf
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top