319 Coloured Cover | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

319 Coloured Cover

Emery

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Lines are really jagged and it has no shading.

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Meh, 1st time, not bad I'd say.

Renegade

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Emery said:
Lines are really jagged and it has no shading.
Ouch...

Lines are jagged cuz it's poster edge style though.

lee-nus

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
what kinda program did u use for this...?
it lacks shading and highlighting as has already been mentioned, and you need to clean away those little annoying greys... :P

Renegade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
lee-nus said:
what kinda program did u use for this...?
it lacks shading and highlighting as has already been mentioned, and you need to clean away those little annoying greys... :P
Cut me some slack, it's my first ever. I'm just happy I got the colours right. :amuse

kyokyo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's alright for your first. Like people have said, theres no shading. Just keep practicing ^^

Renegade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Tried shading it:

(Click it to get the full size)

Emery

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Japan
The shading is okay, but the lineart is just...terrible quality. I dunno what you did to make it that way, but it needs to be fixed.

Renegade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Emery said:
The shading is okay, but the lineart is just...terrible quality. I dunno what you did to make it that way, but it needs to be fixed.
It's poster edged. The lineart looks fine to me. Maybe when you open it, you leave it small, so the lineart looks more jagged.

Is that better?

lee-nus

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Renegade said:
It's poster edged. The lineart looks fine to me. Maybe when you open it, you leave it small, so the lineart looks more jagged.
it still has a very rough and jagged look to it, most likely due to the poster edges effect. it fucks up the lineart, truly. i watched it in full scale too. just out of curiosity; why use an effect like that for a cellshade-style image? i think it would look nicer and more finished with a smoother lineart. i dont know at what point u added the effect, but if u wanna do something like that, its probably better to make it the last step of the whole project, so you can see how it effects the entire image.

i mean, its probably too late for you to take it back, right? its a shame in that case, cuz i think it would've been neater with a smooth lineart. just a tip (and if u dont like my style, pay no attention): i never (or very rarely) use effects like that for the main object in an image. it can be cool for bg's, but my idea is that the main objects work better in their own, thus no need to make them extravagant by using sth like that... yeah?

Renegade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
lee-nus said:
it still has a very rough and jagged look to it, most likely due to the poster edges effect. it fucks up the lineart, truly. i watched it in full scale too. just out of curiosity; why use an effect like that for a cellshade-style image? i think it would look nicer and more finished with a smoother lineart. i dont know at what point u added the effect, but if u wanna do something like that, its probably better to make it the last step of the whole project, so you can see how it effects the entire image.

i mean, its probably too late for you to take it back, right? its a shame in that case, cuz i think it would've been neater with a smooth lineart. just a tip (and if u dont like my style, pay no attention): i never (or very rarely) use effects like that for the main object in an image. it can be cool for bg's, but my idea is that the main objects work better in their own, thus no need to make them extravagant by using sth like that... yeah?
I think it looks awsome poster-edged. It gives it a nice thick jagged effect, and isn't so boring.

You really think it looks better like this?:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4487/319colouredcover2xl6.png

... Cuz I sure don't.

Everywhere else I post it, people love it.
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=128668

Strange why everyone hates it here.

lee-nus

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Renegade said:
I think it looks awsome poster-edged. It gives it a nice thick jagged effect, and isn't so boring.

You really think it looks better like this?:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4487/319colouredcover2xl6.png

... Cuz I sure don't.

Everywhere else I post it, people love it.
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=128668

Strange why everyone hates it here.
personally, i like it better that way, not considering the greys and a bit of other stuff. with some shading and more contrast to it, that version is way better imo. unless there is any real point in messing up the lineart, indeed i like it better that way.

plus, no one said anything about hating anything. this is just constructive crit, and most the other ones who gave u fb here are artists as well (iDookie, not so sure... :P sorry :D) and know fairly well what they're talking about.

edit: to give you some constructive crit, and a few pointers, consider the following:

* the stone wall behind naruto: along the lineart there are lots of grey pixels. unlock the layer you used for this and color along the lineart to remove them. as long as your layer is kept under the background copy, you wont color over it.

* remove the grey pixels in other areas/layers in the same manner

* if you dont wanna go into shading objects (naruto, hamburger, etc), at least you should make a shadow (from naruto) on the bench to give it a bit more depth.

* his left hand has a totally different skin color than the rest of his skin

the tips above apply to the version with no poster edges effect applied. take care of a few, or all of these things, and your art will definitely improve.

cheers

dai saigo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you've flattened your image yet (assuming you were using photoshop), but if not, you could duplicate your lineart layer, and/or set the blending mode to multiply. That will bring out the lines more.