Movies 3D or not 3D ?

How do you like 3D

  • It's a revolution

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I really enjoy it

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • It's ok from time to time

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • It's a gadget, I'd rather continue to watch in 2D

    Votes: 12 46.2%

  • Total voters
    26

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
they found this as well with gaming... seriously if you're a gamer... once your into the game... do you even realize the graphics you're looking at?

the experiment showed: NO

and indeed a modern RPG (with all of its amazing graphics-cinematics) is no more impressive than my old school NES and SNES RPGs, hehe :D

when you're playing the game, you're playing the game, not oogling the graphics of the game... it's almost as if you go "graphics blind".

now, don't get me completely wrong... I need "decent" graphics, such as I can't stand uber old school B&W tv shows compared to colored tv shows, lol.

-----------------

as for fanservice... the better the graphics the better, hehe :D And here, is where 3D is prefered, lol :D

That 3D cartoon Beowulf movie, when it zoomed in on the 3D cleavage of the busty tavern-hall maid, or whatever she was, lol. RAWR !!! But aside from this fanservice use of 3D, it completely sucks, is lame-awful-stupid !!!
 
Last edited:

faintsmile1992

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
509
Reaction score
193
Gender
Female
Country
Casterly Rock
I have 16 bit console emulators installed on this laptop, and I have to say I prefer the colourful graphics of Megadrive games to ugly, realistic FPS games where everything's grey and brown.

It seems like the 3DS is a flop because the 3D effect makes people feel ill and you can't use it with its other gimmick, the motion controls. I'd turn the effect off like everyone else does. ;)

Sadly, I couldn't buy a Nintendo DS in the duty free area, only a 3DS. And I'm not paying that for some region locked piece of shit with gimmicks I'll never use, not least the analog slider where the d-pad should be.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Personally, when I watch 3D movies, after a few minutes, my eyes adjust to the screen enough for me to realize that there doesn't seem to be a difference between non 3D and 3D movies :S Is that just me...? So, it doesn't matter whether or not it's in 3D graphics because either way, it will look like a normal movie to me.
I don't know if this is related to the issue you have or not but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that 3D is really designed for people without a particularly dominate eye. So if one eye is particularly dominate the 3D effect just doesn't work like it's supposed to.
 

The Red Dog

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
171
Reaction score
151
Gender
Male
Country
France
I prefer 2D to 3D,as long as it sticks with their "Live Action" movies(with mocap actors)and the 3D does not invade the Japanimation industry,I'm fine with this.

Don't mind watching one 3D movie from time to time I acknowledge that it's not my cup of Coffee :)

Nonetheless one of my favorite movies Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence mixes traditional 2D with high end 3D technologies(Computer Generated Imagery)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBVr_7I4FtE
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I've actually seen a lot of films in 3D since it has been introduced, and I'd have to say a good majority of them could have done without it. After a while my eyes begin to hurt from wearing the glasses, but that may just be me and those cheap plastic glasses you get from AMC/ODEON. Another thing that bothers a lot of people with regards to 3D is the ticket prices which are, in most cases and countries, quite absurd. And as Ustegius points out, you can get brand new DVDs at a usually cheaper price than paying for those tickets. Which isn't really doing the movie industry any service at all, it means a lot of people will much rather wait for the home releases of the film than going to cinema.

I read a few years ago an article that interviewed Spielberg and Peter Jackson during their production of Tintin, they shared their views on the whole 2D/3D debacle. You can read it here.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
No 3D. It's totally unnecessary, unless it's something like Avatar. I prefer 2D, especially because the 3D isn't even worth the price. I miss the old red-n-blue 3D, they actually looked three-dimensional. Current 3D just makes the objects pop out a bit from the background....

Reading the link goldb posted, I agree with Jackson and Spielberg. Some movies should be 3D, but only if they suit it. Not every single movie needs to be turned into a 3D, especially when 3D doesn't offer anything visually better. Most 3D nowadays aren't even done well enough anyway... though I did spend tons of money to watch Jurassic Park 3D. <_<
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm with goldb about my eyes hurting... They should realise this, and they will fear people stop going to the movies because of this and I suspect, unless they provide a more comfortable technology, the thing we have now won't last.

Anyways, I always consider the 3D tech at the cinema to be faker than acceptable (personally.) It's a clever little trick, poloarising light, but it inadvertently makes everything dark and gives you this isolating feeling from the media... Though the 3DS is yet another clever trick and also even more so limiting, I actually prefer that much more than 3D movies because it feels much more natural, provided you don't move your head relative to the screen...

I reckon the best fake 3D will come from glasses that is fitted with two monitors, one for each eye, adjusted according to your vision. Because that's more or less how our real eyes work. I'd definitely puke everywhere from virtual motion sickness with those on...
 

BeyondAnother

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
30
Reaction score
8
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Dragonstone
I personally, am not a fan of it cause after a while it messes with my eyes
 

TStew

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
165
Reaction score
155
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow I am actually surprised of all the anti 3D comments. Can't say anyone I've talked to recently doesnt like 3D in the movies. If the movie is available in 3D I always go for it, even better if IMAX 3D. True that some movies you don't gain much from the 3D effect but most of the movies I watch are sci-fi / fantasy / etc which has a lot of cgi that seems to make a bigger difference with 3D. Can't say that its ever bothered my eyes, or caused headaches or anything like that. Got my son a 3DS a couple years back and I was blown away with the little thing doing 3D without having to fiddle with glasses and such, though I only played with it a few times when it was new and never since. But I never messed with 3D tv's or anything, didnt want to spend the extra on it, I'll save 3D for the movies.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I already wear glasses for my bad eyes. To view 3D, I need to put 2 pairs of glasses which I find rather unpleasant.
Often in the movie, there will be one or two moments every 5-10 minutes to say "OHHH that's 3D".

It's a gadget, it's uncomfortable, some people have headaches with it & the number of movies which were filmed with 3D in mind are few & it's more expensive.
I bought a 60'' LED TV without 3D & it was only 999 euros (SHARP is doing this). If I had to buy the same with 3D, I was far above 2000 euros ... Same goes with movie tickets.

It was fun the first few times I've seen it because it was new but that's it.
 
Last edited:

Desu Desu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I like 3D from time to time, but excessive usage can cause health problems :P
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
The first time I watched 3D movie in cinema, it made me feel dizzy and headache. Thus I seldom watch it there. Watching at home seems to be alright as the screen isn't as big as the ones in cinemas and you can change position and location to suit your comfort. :)
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Honestly, I haven't been entertained by 3D graphics since I was in the 5th grade. Like, it's kinda cool I guess, but is usually costs me three extra dollars at the theater. It doesn't increase my movie-viewing experience and I kinda wish it would die again (I remember the first 3D craze in the early 2000s...Spy Kids 3D :XD)
 
Top