So I finally watched it. I... didn't care for it actually.
I read the posts here and a couple of reviews before going into it. If I hadn't done that, I would've been very disappointed. I was just mildly disappointed. In either case, there were quite a few things I had issues with. Surprisingly, the overall plot isn't one of them (it was mediocre, but I wouldn't say downright terrible).
The animation. For a
movie I hold higher standards for animation than TV shows. When Madhouse's long-running anime show has better animation than a movie, that's where I have issues. Images were posted above, but a lot of it just seemed off. On top of that, I couldn't get over how weird Gon, and especially Killua's, faces looked.
Killua's characterization. naruto-niichan mentioned a lot of the things I would with regards to how Killua was portrayed. It's like they took his personality quirks and multiplied them by a thousand. Oh, he has issues with Illumi? Let's add lots of this in here. Oh, he doesn't like people getting between him and Gon? Let's add more of that in here. Tsundere? Check. Angsty pre-teen issues? He hasn't really had those in a while, but let's put those in there for good measure! He was even going to let himself get hit by a train. Now that is bad. Even at his worst he
never got to that point. Even bawling his eyes out and being hard on himself during the election arc, he
never got that unbearably angsty. I can handle him being a jerk--because he is one--but angsty BS? No way. This is probably my biggest issue with the movie... coupled with the next part.
Content. This is a movie about Kurapika and his missing eyes, right? Here, let's put 2/3 Killua problems in here and save the last third for Kurapika's showdown with Omokage and eye-snatching. And we'll add this cute flashback about Pairo and Kurapika (I did like that part). This may as well have been a movie about Killua and his problems because that's what really stole the show until, about, the last 10-15 minutes of the movie. Hell, even the opening sequence features Killua and Illumi. Who'd ever think I would rant about a movie that features one of my favorite anime/manga characters ever?
But despite my disappointments with it, I didn't outright hate the movie. I probably won't purchase it or go out of my way to download (I watched it streamed with subtitles), but it wasn't terrible. So without further ado...
Things I DID like about it
-I thought I'd hate Retsu, but I didn't. It was really interesting to see how the boys interact with a girl around the same age as them. It's a different dynamic than how Killua and Gon treat each other, and some scenes made me chuckle (like when Killua accidentally copped a feel--and was completely unfazed. And then both him and Gon totally had the "Whoa" look when she was in her nighty).
-Leorio and his knife skills are awesome. AWESOME I tell you! Go Leorio!
-Hiso-hiso <3 Dat lip licking never gets old.
-Killua is totally tsundere for Gon (and
maybe Retsu)
-I liked the BGM.
Overall score:
6.5/10