All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread 2007

indrid

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

I'm really not sure if that was in reference to my comment or not.

I can see how what I said might be misconstrued, and I apologise if I came across as arrogant. That's certainly not a trait I'm known for, nor one that I'd be proud of.

midiman

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Manga Coloring of the Week #22: Amateur Category

Hi i have coloured this pic because of lazyness ^^

I have seen a lot of pics of you guys and wanted to do the same but i am still not able to work properly with this program.(photoshop c2)

What kind of program do you use ?

Nabari-no-ou chapter 3 page 10

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=colouredxp7.png

another Nabari-no-ou and Naruto colourations

http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2bmpzs3.jpg

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unbenannt1sr7.png

http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unbenanntlb7.jpg

[mod=T-Mage]
post moved here....
Hi there midiman :), most people use Photoshop too but takes time to learn and get used to

You're allowed one pic in the contest though and we discuss stuff in this thread :)
i hope that answers your question....
[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

twojastara

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland

you know, i don't think 3 categories are really needed beacause now i see it clearly, that the art that isn't really the best, maybe the 5th but not higher, has the most votes
why? friends i suppose

a new category won't change much

miranu

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Hungary

you know, i don't think 3 categories are really needed beacause now i see it clearly, that the art that isn't really the best, maybe the 5th but not higher, has the most votes
why? friends i suppose

Yeah maybe friends :DDunno about it :D But it feels a little funny to be beaten by that art :S
Well anyways congratulation shunta :D
I'll move to advanced /lol/ so get ready all ya big ones XDDDD

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland

twojastara said:
why? friends i suppose

Yeah, feel the same. Two categories are enough. Besides, friends are not only option to vote to the friend. It can be varied also because of the page or picture colored. For example: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece usually are winning (not always, but...)

miranu

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Hungary

It can be varied also because of the page or picture colored. For example: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece usually are winning (not always, but...)
Dun worry my next Entry will be Blue Dragon.. my favourite page XD boobgroping rulz >3

Uozumi

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah, feel the same. Two categories are enough. Besides, friends are not only option to vote to the friend. It can be varied also because of the page or picture colored. For example: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece usually are winning (not always, but...)
Yeah, I agree. Sometimes it's more the manga that's being colored than who is coloring it or how they're coloring it.

Sarada

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

looking at the number of entries in advanced ... 4, it's not much, so 3 categories is just too much. I think if you have about 10 entries for each minimum for a while, you can think about dividing it further.

And yeah Naruto colorings will generate more votes, Bleach too, but I think, in a lesser degree.

Dun worry my next Entry will be Blue Dragon.. my favourite page XD boobgroping rulz >3
And I'll be doing my D Gray colo :D

Silhouette

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

now i see it clearly, that the art that isn't really the best, maybe the 5th but not higher, has the most votes
why? friends i suppose

Many times this is true. Too bad this contest isn't popular yet to the point when it doesn't matter how many friends someone have voting for his/her entry.

kunai-knight

Reaction score
Country
United States

Many times this is true. Too bad this contest isn't popular yet to the point when it doesn't matter how many friends someone have voting for his/her entry.
agreed

umm dont know if this has been discussed before or anything but whats stopping a colorist from joining as a new user and voting for himself? :s perhaps a ruling that only those who have 25+ posts and above can vote?

[mod=T-Mage]hmmm...never thought about that. i'll be sure to bring it up on the "codified" art contest rules draft "deliberations" :smile-big [/mod]

Uozumi

Reaction score
Country
United States

I think a 25 post rule would be too messy and it would be hard to monitor the poles and make more work than necessary for the mods.

If you are so insecure that you must create puppets to vote for your work, then you aren't winning anything at all.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

@ Orthider, Your work is absolutely brilliant, do you have a collection of your work posted somewhere? I would love to browse it. Thanks

perhaps a ruling that only those who have 25+ posts and above can vote?
I like your idea. I was gonna suggest 10+ posts but 25 sounds better

Last edited:

kunai-knight

Reaction score
Country
United States

I think a 25 post rule would be too messy and it would be hard to monitor the poles and make more work than necessary for the mods.

If you are so insecure that you must create puppets to vote for your work, then you aren't winning anything at all.
While I agree that it would be a bit messy, I think that its one of those things that should be put in place, simply because if there's a way for someone to cheat, whether it be on a test, a game or even a contest, there will ALWAYS be someone who's willing to take that cheap victory. And regardless of how little it actually helps the cheaters themselves, it still takes away from the honest persons who are abiding to the rules.

@Silhouette
Btw, good luck in the contest! :) I like the way you've done the eyes in that pic, it looks really cool maen. keep up the good work :amuse

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

Thanks dark sasuke and good luck to you too :) hope to see more of your work in the future ^^

midiman

Reaction score
Country
Germany

Hi there midiman :), most people use Photoshop too but takes time to learn and get used to

You're allowed one pic in the contest though and we discuss stuff in this thread :)
i hope that answers your question....
[/mod]

ah thanks for your help and next time i am will do it correctly ;)

twojastara

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Poland

25- so you'd get a spammed board by those who want to vote, though it would prevent ppl from creating multiple accounts to vote for themselves

they aren't winning anything, but the rest is loosing something

i think next time i'll post in advanced, the atmosphere there seems better

Sarada

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

i think next time i'll post in advanced, the atmosphere there seems better
I dunno there seems to be something weird going on in the voting. No offence .... but please make your choice based on skill, not out of sympathy or because it's a friend.

abu_89

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Votes should be IP-logged, and one vote per IP/account... two accounts can't vote from the same IP; I think Gamefaqs has their polls set up that way.

@Orthrider: Nice pic in the 20-21 contest.. it's awesome!

Orthider

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain

Silhouette said:
@ Orthider, Your work is absolutely brilliant, do you have a collection of your work posted somewhere? I would love to browse it. Thanks
Thank you for all your comments silhouette. However, actually I don't have any gallery and I don't post those colorings in other forums(my english is terrible hehe) : ( . Anyway, if you're interested, I did the 345 chapter colored with my mate Caracols, maybe some day I'll post it.
abu_89 said:
Orthrider: Nice pic in the 20-21 contest.. it's awesome!
Dómo arigatô gosaimasu! (definitively I have to change my nickXD)

PD: I don't consider myself an avanced colorist, but it's true that with 3 categories, I think there wouldn't be many entries.

[mod=T-Mage]it would be nice if all you loyal art contest participants who are recognized to be "advanced" and "really good" are ready anytime with your links to your works to post in your OWN galleries. it's in the works after settling this rules and eligibility "fiasco". :smile-big
*pointing hands to Orthider, Silhouette, harrmd, miranu, *Mel*, Stiluz*
[/mod]

kunai-knight

Reaction score
Country
United States

I've been thinking and, I've kinda come up with a way around the whole friends-voting-for-friends thing. What if instead of posting the pictures in the open forum, why dont we set it up so that each candidate has to pm the pics to a mod instead? Then the mod can post the pics on the forum and we can all vote for the best picture and the only person who'd know who's pic is whose would be the mod. :amuse

ALTERNATIVELY
The mods could set up an account that the colorists can access. To enter a picture in the contest, the contestant would have to sign into that account and then post the pic. Therefore all the pics would be sumbmitted under one user and annonymousity (sp?) maintained for all pics submitted.

Just an idea, dont know how possible they are and whats not :s

p.s before you say it....yes i know they're a little bit messy! :p lol

[mod=T-Mage] yes it is! please don't deprive us of the opportunity for real life! :p your suggestion sounds like it needs an admin to do that and the current ones are a little bit too busy with their own RL too... :smile-big
[/mod]