All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread 2007 | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread 2007

TechnoMagus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

I think it's unfair to allow advanced colourists in the amateur category and yet we have two advanced colourist allowed to participate in the current week (week 20).

Have the rules been changed and advanced colourists are allowed to compete with amateurs?
Please advice and thanks
Yeah it's pretty unfair :D But who are those advanced ppl :D Btw.. I saw 3-4 ppl XD
There are ppl in a skill beyond Amateur, and below advanced, where should they post? :D
And I can remember, there was a rule, that ya need 3 wins in amateur, to be advanced :P /I have 2, so I'll stay there untill I win 1 more :P/
[user]Grayfoxx[/user] and me have just been recently made mods over the art section and the art contests since our resident art expert mods have been unavailable most of the time lately.

We are still refining the art contest quirks, but rest assured that deciding whether an entry should be advanced or not will be dealt with fairly. Since the matter was brought up early and there are still 6 more days to go before the end of this contest, it will surely be resolved before the voting ends.

We may not be art experts of considerable experience to the past moderators, but such issues will be brought to other resident art critiques who are also mods for a longer while and have much more experience in such matters.

My personal responses to [user]Silhouette[/user]'s concerns are these...
--kindly name those entries which you consider to be advanced through pm or in this thread.
--some amateur entries may be executed such that to the untrained eye, they may look advanced but upon closer inspection and comparison with other advanced entries, they look amateur in comparison. e.g. [user]miranu[/user]'s entry... :p see below...
--have you compared today's amateur entries to advanced entries in the past which have been moved from amateur to advanced? also kindly use for comparison colorings that have been put into galleries found in the naruto art section, notably by [user]Vhea[/user], [user]Dynamic Dragon[/user], [user]Willitblend[/user], [user]ak-46[/user].
--in my personal opinion, the advanced entries are obviously on a different level than the amateur. a lot of entries in the amateur are cel shaded or simple soft shaded. the advanced entries on the other hand for some entries, custom brushes are used, more colors/shades are used in soft shading(one of the most significant and obvious basis for being advanced), the photorealism is high and the quality is on par with colored Edited Manga releases.
--in my personal opinion, based on what i have said previously, the entries in the amateur contest as of date warrants no relocation to the advanced category.

We are still on the process of compiling and tallying the winners of the amateur contests to determine those close to eligibility in the advanced. Thanks to [user]miranu[/user] for pointing himself out... :p
btw, after seeing your 2 winning entries, you are more than welcome to join the advanced category at any time now and in the future. (i agree that your current entry is not as advanced as your previous winning entries) :D

After considering the points I have listed above, if you still feel that some entries are too advanced. Kindly bring the issue up again and more third-party opinions will be brought in to settle this matter fairly.

edit: [mod=TechnoMagus][user]*Mel*[/user] has indeed won 3 amateur contests, hence, the polling has been halted and the polling thread closed. [user]kiddo7[/user]'s post has been accidentally deleted hence it escaped my attention. We assure you that this matter will be resolved as soon as possible.[/mod]

Last edited:

GrayFoxx

Reaction score
Country
Poland

Due to certain circumstances, we have to close the Week #20 voting thread for now. The reason why Me & TechnoMagus are doing it, is because *Mel* won atleast 3 times in the amateur category, that makes him able to enter the advanced coloring contest, but he decided to post his entry in the Amateur contest again, and we missed that. we're very sorry.

Last edited:

kiddo7

Reaction score
Country
Austria

oh my,
I never intended to create this big an uproar.
I hope I did not start a mini war over who is too advanced for the amateur contest and who isn't.
Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut.

miranu

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Hungary

Follow my Idea: 3 contests: amateur, advanced, pro.. that's all :D And there will be no war about this :D

*Mel*

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

XD I'm a girl LOL
Anyway...I'm not prepared to an advance contest... As you can see I'm still an amateur because of that I posted in the amateur category (and I didn't see that I was the winner of 3 contests)...Please Let me be in the amateur category...I will tell when I'm ready to take this challenge =)

Uozumi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I don't think this should turn into a war. I think that if we want to keep track of who is and who isn't whatever category, maybe there needs to be a list of those that are considered Advanced. Perhaps, we do need three categories as well.

XD I'm a girl LOL
Anyway...I'm not prepared to an advance contest... As you can see I'm still an amateur because of that I posted in the amateur category (and I didn't see that I was the winner of 3 contests)...Please Let me be in the amateur category...I will tell when I'm ready to take this challenge =)
Mel, you've won three contests straight. It's unfair to the other Amatuers to allow you to keep winning, which you most likely will do given your level of skill and the number of votes that seperate you from the rest of the herd.

Perhaps what we need are three categories like miranu suggested. <3

*Mel*

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Yeah I like the idea of having three categories...'cause I don't wanna enter in a contest with entries of ppl like indrid, raikari, vhea, DD o.O
XD I'd lose for sure... I guess They'd be in a Pro Category (if there're 3 categories)

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

Thanks TechnoMagus I sent you a pm

and to our advanced colourists who insist on posting in the amateur contest, please don't be afraid of a little competition with the big boys/girls ^^ because it's unfair in the people who are "just discovering their talent" as the amateur contest states and please don't use old colouring to enter the amateur, make a new one and enter the advanced not to cause confusion and because otherwise all advanced colourists will be doing the same thing which is anything but fair. Thank you very much.

It's true that miranu and casper haven't won the amateur contest 3 times but again as the rules state: if their work was considered to be that of advanced category then they don't have to win 3 times and their submissions will be moved to advanced contest. It's true miranu and casper have been considered in advanced category by more than one previous moderatorand they tried to post in amateur and been moved to advanced before. So please if you don't win the advanced don't try to go and compete with the amateurs otherwise every single advanced colourist who doesn't win in his category will be trying to compete with the amateurs in order to win and if this happens what's the point of having rules ?!!

Last edited:

GrayFoxx

Reaction score
Country
Poland

The voting thread for Amateur coloring contest week#20 is open now :)

BTW: Mel, I had to move your entry to advanced category.

*Mel*

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Ok =/
XD Good luck to me...I will need it =P

GrayFoxx

Reaction score
Country
Poland

But please, don't hate me for that. Rules are rules.

*Mel*

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

XD Ofcourse I don't hate u for this LOL
^.^
[mod=GF]I was joking :p[/mod]

Sarada

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

and please don't use old colouring to enter the amateur
Thank you, I was waiting for that one, it's unfair to post something you did a long time ago, since it may not give an accurate view of your current skills, plus it allows you to 'test' the popularity of your coloring.

And it's not right for someone to post some colorings in the advanced, and when it didn't turn out that good, post it in the amateur. When you're advanced, you stay there.

Btw 3 categories .... I don't know if it's necessary, and if there's even enough entries for that. It's just that some enter a base coloring, or something that isn't very different from it. If you have 3 categories, the amateur will end up with only base colorings. And the pro's generally don't deliver a new coloring every contest either.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

First of all big thanks to Techno and GrayFoXx for their fast repsonses and really gald to have you moderating this contest ^^

And it's not right for someone to post some colorings in the advanced, and when it didn't turn out that good, post it in the amateur. When you're advanced, you stay there.
That was excatly my argument

Btw 3 categories .... I don't know if it's necessary, and if there's even enough entries for that. It's just that some enter a base coloring, or something that isn't very different from it. If you have 3 categories, the amateur will end up with only base colorings. And the pro's generally don't deliver a new coloring every contest either.
I am not too fond of 3 categories either...never seen a 3 level contest ..it has alays been pros and amateurs. Opening 3 levels it will end up causing more confusion for the good reasons mentioned in the above quote.

TechnoMagus

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

i'll be discussing with foxxy-kun a "re-examination" and "fine-tuning" of the contest rules and guidelines and present our results to the higher ups at an "opportune time." :D

in the meantime can we rely on you the community to help "regulate" this contest until we have a clearer view/interpretation of the rules?

thanks.... :D

and for the cheeky fellows here, please don't ruin our "baptism of fire" by causing "uproars" and such... :p

allow us to settle in first.... :D

QianQian

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

=w= ar... this issue again... let's just leave the decision-making to the mods...
tho i would like to point out that the 3-win rule is kinda odd
i think many people would agree that forcing mel into the advanced category is kinda silly

for this week's contest, i voted for Raijatsu
coloring skills can be developed through experience
but the eyes for color are something you are born with

treasure them!!!

good job! V..v

indrid

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

Some people may not agree, but I think adding a category is a good idea. There is a big difference between the undeveloped skill of entry level fan colorings, and the adept colorist who have strengthened their talent and trained their eyes over time. It's just unfair to classify the range of skill in two categories.

I have greatly improved my own skills in the relatively short time that I've worked with Isane.net, but it didn't all happen from one page to the next. It was a gradual process. It just seems unfair to expect all the colorist here to fit into either amateur or advanced.

Furthermore, I've never known an artist who didn't have room for improvement. Not to boast, but I knew--despite the heavy concentration of narutards who will be biased toward their manga--that my entry would win the advanced manga coloring competition. I really did outdo myself. Yet I could write a book on all the things that needed to be fixed, revised or completely redone on it. And if not for the tragic death of my precious I would be well on my way to outdoing myself again with another entry (my computer is my precious BTW).

My point is that people need to have something to strive for. A pro category would give the advanced colorist a new goal to achieve. And keep people like me from pwning all those unfortunates, slightly above amateur level, doomed to compete in the only other category available:p .

Perhaps it would be best to let the community decide via poll.

Baka Taichou

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

everybody's always talking about how some should be or not in the amateur category and start a riot ....it's a waste of time in my opinion ....does it matter who wins ? I always participate in contests for fun and to improve I never cared if I lost ....and further more , although I"m an amateur I will participate directly in the advanced category (if I'm allowed) just so riots won't be brought into discussion because of me , and I think mel is as advanced as the others but that's only my P E R S O N A L opinion
don't make such a fuss for things that aren't worth it ...if mel considers she should participate more in the amateur contests it means she's not ready to face advanced people yet and she wants to improve more before she does move to the other category.....

[EDIT] must add I totally agree with indrid :P

Last edited:

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

I find the claim that people who make it out of the mateur category have no chance of competing agianst advanced ones to be a bit arrogant and I would like to compete against advanced when I qualify

Last edited: