All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
I'd love to see who would win in a contest between Amaretti and DD though. :)
yea ... who wouldn't ...and willitblend too , all 3 of them are extremely skilled both with coloring and drawing (although I don't know if amaretti draws too *doesn't remember*)
That would be a close fight! xD
indeed *nods*
There aren't enough people that vote though! D: We should advertise the contest thread in our sigs or something.
What a good idea! I'll do the same! maybe I'll draw a small image which could be representing the art contests and every participant can put it in their sigs somewhere and link back to the contests threads and me and stiluz will do the same what do you think of that? *is waiting for positive reply or she'll kung fu your asses ^^*
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, Amaretti is an awesome drawer too. She has some colored fanart in her DA account.


HiruKo said:
But we can't really complain since the voters are manga fans, an thus, being biased can't be avoided.
Haha, you're right. I was a bit more biased to the Air Gear coloring in the Amateur contest because I liked it more than the other mangas there. That's not to say that it wasn't good, everything was very clean and crisp.
 
Last edited:

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
then goddammit we should force them to participate every once in a while !!!!
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haha...then other people would want to save their submissions for another contest since they would be thinking that they'd lose anyway.
 

TheGenius

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2007
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Haha...then other people would want to save their submissions for another contest since they would be thinking that they'd lose anyway.
Ya....I'm a little discouraged myself...
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
I wouldn't >.> if I was able to participate and DD would and amaretti and willitblend would participate as well I would do my best to make an interesting coloring and that's all...they should motivate you to do your best not discourage you. Stop thinking like that , because I used to think the same but it only made me not color/draw anything for over a month and that's bad. So I changed and hopefully to the best.
 

Waeyen

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
544
Reaction score
306
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hey *Mel* and ziaja
You two are not Amateur.

Please submit in the Advanced contest !

ATTENTION:
If you believe your work is of a higher quality, post it in the Advanced contest! We've had several incidences in the past where people have posted obviously advanced entries in the amateur contests and won with no competition at all.
Post it in the Advanced contest where it belongs.


Your coloraings are not Amateur
 
Last edited:

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Well Wayen since they do not consider themselves to be advanced and/or they did not win the amateur 3 times they can still post in the amateur contest. Only if they consider themselves advanced they can post there . So yea....
 

Mugiwara_no_Jack

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
909
Reaction score
323
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Amazing work .... truely beyond Amateur Contest ...
 

Uozumi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
2
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Well Wayen since they do not consider themselves to be advanced and/or they did not win the amateur 3 times they can still post in the amateur contest. Only if they consider themselves advanced they can post there . So yea....
*Mel* won three times already before the change to you and Styluz modding the contests.
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Eh...frankly, I don't really like coloring Naruto that much. Once I see soooooooo many people doing Naruto over and over, it makes me a little sick knowing that I would be following them. I think I like the submissions that are from less known mangas most of the time. Cell-shading annoys me too...it feels just like seeing an anime screenshot to me. =/
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
umm Wayen calm down that's just cell shading ... it's basic coloring >.> if she'd have submitted a soft shading coloring I'd have said she should have submitted in advanced but yea it's just cell shading.
And Uozumi I wasn't told who how many times won. so yea gonn a make a new list. If she won already 3 times than I'll move her entry to advanced. But first I'll have to ask her personally.
. Cell-shading annoys me too
me too >.>
 

KALiZU

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
163
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Yeah, Cell Shading annoys me too. Because I think most people appreciate it more than soft shading. It kinda makes me want to do cell shading too since it's more popular. >_>

But *Mel*'s entry was still a VERY WELL DONE Cell Shading. I think it should be in the advanced contest. >__<
 
Last edited:

TheGenius

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2007
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
What I especially like is eclectic coloring like Hiruko-san does...It's really good, on his DVArt account, the puppeteer one his really good!


@Hiruko

I saw your post, but didn't see it was you!:amuse


Hmmm....I can't modify my post anymore....well...I meant Hyrohiku! And I'm referring to this art.

http://hyrohiku.deviantart.com/art/Azrael-Fanart-49591790
 
Last edited:

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Really? I thought Hyrohiku had the same username here as his DA one since I saw him post in the Naruto contributions thread before.


Oh wait, I misunderstood, nevermind.


Yeah, Cell Shading annoys me too. Because I think most people appreciate it more than soft shading. It kinda makes me want to do cell shading too since it's more popular. >_>
Yeah, sometimes I feel like doing it too since it looks so simple but everyone goes all "ooh, ahh" over them and the soft-shaded ones that have so much more work and effort put into it are ignored. It just pisses me off. :<
 
Last edited:

KALiZU

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
163
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Yeah, sometimes I feel like doing it too since it looks so simple but everyone goes all "ooh, ahh" over them and the soft-shaded ones that have so much more work and effort put into it are ignored. It just pisses me off. :<
Cell-Shading is really overrated. xD Dammit give soft shading some justice!!
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think most of the time people just don't or can't fully appreciate art sometimes. That's why they're so easily wowed by cell-shading. I don't really consider Amaretty to be a cell-shader really...its more like a blend of cell and soft with a touch of realism.
 

KALiZU

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
163
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
I think most of the time people just don't or can't fully appreciate art sometimes. That's why they're so easily wowed by cell-shading
Probably because they're used to anime style coloring, which is cell shading. When they see the unfamiliar soft shading style, they go "meh".
I don't really consider Amaretty to be a cell-shader really...its more like a blend of cell and soft with a touch of realism.
That's why her style's really unique. ^^
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Damn, I typed Amaretty instead of Amaretti for some reason. :<

Another reason why I don't like anime-style cell-shading is because I don't see any point in making something that's basically the same as the anime. I figure that if you're going to color something, you would want to make it better than the original anime, right? Cell-shading is a good way for beginners to start out on coloring, but some people do dozens of colorings in the same exact boring style.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top