All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkaruiHotaru

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 2, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The only thing that bothers me about cel-shading is that there are thousands (or maybe millions) of ways to soft-shade but very few ways to cel-shade. I think that makes it more interesting and challenging to develop a unique style of soft-shading, which is really why I like using soft-shading myself. (A fact that is not currently demonstrated by my gallery. >.>;; *cough traditional colorings* *cough cough*)

But, in the end, I guess it should come down to quality, right?
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, it does, but I'd have to say the quality of most of the soft-shades I've seen so far are better than most of the cell-shades. The mistakes in soft-shading are usually more subtle than cell-shading because cell depends heavily on good lines.

So you're still looking for a style too? Same here :D , I'm still looking for my own niche in soft-shading.
 

verdygo

Artist
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
202
Reaction score
17
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ha ha! Soft shading FTW! Yeah, obviously I prefer soft shading. I never used cell shading after my first couple of colorings.

I think I'm coming onto a style. Or so I am told. All my colorings don't look out of the ordinary.
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think I actually started on soft-shading because of how I felt about those styles. I just did cell-shade a few times later on, but even then its more like a blend. Cell-shades usually rely on the Pen tool to do their shadows, right? I think that might've been another reason why I didn't want to do cell-shading.
 

KALiZU

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
163
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
I started soft shading when I discovered that.. you can reduce the hardness of the brush!! xD I was like "OMG THIS LOOKS AWESOME" xD. As for looking for a style, I don't know if I already have my own one. xD
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Lol, yeah, those were good times back when we were all Photoshop nubs. :S
 

KALiZU

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
163
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Yeah, being a noob does have it's advantages! xD
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Darn, only 8 hours left. :< We need more voters!
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
cell-shading
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
*kills*

Still no results?
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
I am so so very sorry for the delay on the results for Amateur Contests. I have been away on easter holiday.Just got back. Dunno if the Advanced has been made if not I'll take care of it now.
Amateur Coloring Contest Week #16-17
The poll for week #16-17 has been made! Now go vote!Only 4 -5 days to vote so make sure you don't forget!​



Advanced Coloring Contest Week #14-17
Results have been posted! You can view them here. Congratulations to DaKroG for his wonderful Bleach coloring! We need more bleach colored art! and D Gray Man and others! Thank you to the other participants !!!! very good colorings made by everyone! They too deserved more votes! Keep the entries coming oki? I'm looking forward to the next ones :3​


Fan Art of the month: ~Colored~
Results for april have been posted . You can go view them here.You can go here and vote for your April favorite!
The Black and white category has been extended because we only have 1 entry for the whole month so the contest will last for 2 monthes April and May. So GO MAKE SOMETHING for this category! Don't ignore the black and white art <3 give it some love too!

​
 
Last edited:

TheGenius

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2007
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It's ok Sakura!

Like Georges Bush would say, you lack of access to the internets!


Sera is clearly a pro, unless he didn't do it:p

Nice coloration!
 
Last edited:

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Who's Sera? :oh
 

Stiluz

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2005
Messages
513
Reaction score
150
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Advanced voting coming tomorrow, I'm sorry for the delay, but papers and finals AAARGH.
 

KALiZU

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
163
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
The Black and white category has been extended because we only have 1 entry for the whole month so the contest will last for 2 monthes April and May. So GO MAKE SOMETHING for this category! Don't ignore the black and white art <3 give it some love too!
Probably because people are scared of hyrohiku's work. xD But... I'm gonna give it some love soon!! (I'm drawing something for the contest) ^^
 

abcdefghijkL0L

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
34
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haha, hyro is amazingly good. :]


I don't blame them for their hesitation. :P
 
Last edited:

KALiZU

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
163
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Yeah.. xD But I still submitted my fanart. xD Hope it stands a chance against hyrohiku's.. ^^
 

Waeyen

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
544
Reaction score
306
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Ok i give up to win the Contest
Bye bye ^^
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Amateur Contest
Week #16-17 Results have been posted! You can view the results here.
Congratulations to Hiruko for winning and to the runner ups!​

Wäyen you shouldn't let yourself be discouraged...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top