All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Shin - I like your wings sig. It has great detail and very dynamic lighting. Computer problems really suck. I hate it when others assume you don't know what your doing, then they fail and you realize you had a better chance of fixing it yourself. Hope you get it fixed soon.:)

@NanaDmari - You should definitely make a sig! :) And a gif should work, I haven't tried to upload one for a contest, but Coffee has submitted animated sigs before. Zoro is also my favorite character from One Piece. :D

@Coffee- Thanks a lot for the advice!:tem I made some more revisions based on your comments, and made it lighter, so everyone can see the wings, since it is the theme. About your wings sig, I agree with Shin on the border, it's really the only thing I have a problem with. And it's not the outer pink part, but the blurred part just inside the border, which I think looks kinda off. Mainly because it doesn't seem to fit with the overall sharpness of the majority of the sig. I like the placement of the text. :)
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Everyone seems to have hardware problems :) Computers are so unreliable.

I'm really not sure about the wings signature I made... Maybe I'll just give up this time :S but who knows, since the periode has been extended, I may be able to come up with something worth submitting.

P.S: I was also having router problems and the SOB who was supposed to "fix" it, was a complete MORON ... He tried to act cool and pretend that he's working on it :S (yeah like right cliking "my computer" and then "propreties"...). They think that all people are stupid walking corpses... He didn't know that I study computer sience and that I never call for their damn help unless it's a hardware problem... which means that something MUST BE REPLACED... I could've killed him with the spoon I had in my hand.

Ehhhh... I think I said too much, sorry, but I really needed to say this (I feel better now).
lol I hate when you know what the problem is and you tell them, but they just ignore you and ask you useless questions. It's really annoying.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Ok, I failed this week. I didn't spend much time on it in the first place and it seems I didn't have a valid concept either.
Out of other things I made I quickly patched together two sigs but neither have any qualities I like, kinda sad taking the great topic into account.
I used the same font for both since I didn't find anything more suitable for wings so far. On the bleach one I just blended in the old outlines as well since it's unfinished anyways and looked worse without:
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Photoshop/ToshiroWings.jpg
And the Berserk one looks too generic/replacable:
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Berserk/Wings-Griffith.png
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Roflkopt3r - IMO the Toshiro sig is a lot better. I like the text and general layout. I think if you just play around with it a bit more it could be really nice. I know it's not finished, and you probably know this stuff already, but here's my thoughts on how to improve it.:) I think some gradient maps or texturization on the wings would help a lot. If you wanted, you could also possibly sharpen or blur certain parts to create focal points on the sig. I'm not sure if I like the purple background, and if you keep that light part on the background, you may want to have that lighting affect the render and text as well, it will make all the elements of the sig come together. Good luck and remember that we have an extra week to submit the wings entries!
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Aye another weak is perfect. Thanks for the feedback DeBaron, but I guess I'll start all over with something else, this I just need an idea to start with :P
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Roflkopt3r - I agree with DeBaron, I like the Toshiro sig~

@DeBaron - Alright, thank you for the feedback~~

@nanaDmari - I have turned in about 3 Gifs before and depending on what you do and which program you use, its tough to keep it under 300KB
= Very Simple and Had to Reduce the movement of the ripples to bring it under 300

= Very simple animation, coupled with a very simple background = small file size. This even won the Moon theme, somehow.

= Too Large T_T
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Coffee - Wow, that Dragonz sig is amazing!!! I can see why it is too big, which really sucks. I wish the limit was at least 500kb.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

DeBaron, you should change your Itachi quote to the Zoro quote that you mentioned earlier, I liked it


and what do I have to do to get a Gallery? Tsukisama? Vintagemistakes? Shinsatsu?
 
Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

DeBaron, you should change your Itachi quote to the Zoro quote that you mentioned earlier, I liked it
<hr noshade size="1">
and what do I have to do to get a Gallery? Tsukisama? Vintagemistakes? Shinsatsu?
Hm I tried just opening a thread, afterwards there popped up a window that it would take acceptance of mods so I thought one of them would get a PM or something and seemingly denied it since mine never opened, what's not surprising since I didn't put any layout effort into it because I thought I simply could open the thread and edit it later on :amuse
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

You need to have a sufficiently large amount of artwork if you want a signature gallery of your own without it being merged into the signature thread. Good examples would be this thread and this other one.

We don't want a ton of individual gallery threads for signatures when we have a designated signature thread; thus, an individual thread is only warranted by the volume of signatures being greater than the capacity for an individual post in the community signature thread.

Furthermore, Shin Akuma is a MH Artist and thus entitled to a gallery, which means this thread should actually be moved to the Artist Galleries section. (To apply to be a MH Artist, you should go here for information. Be warned that the MH Artist status will soon be experiencing some changes in requirements.)
Oh, Why Thank You, Tsukisama~ LOL


Ive got like around 147 sigs or so, and around 22 random photoshop things, is that enough for a gallery~?


Of course not all those are really good XD
 
Last edited:

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
1,176
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Ive got like around 147 sigs or so, and around 22 random photoshop things, is that enough for a gallery~?
@nanaDmari - I have turned in about 3 Gifs before and depending on what you do and which program you use, its tough to keep it under 300KB
that's a LOT of images ._.
I'm so selective with my own work... I don't show much of it (and I'm kind slow, so I don't have lots and lots of things XD)

Oh, now I remember the first sig!! those details give a different mood to the sigs...
I now the size is a problem, but if you have a good idea and use things wisely you can make great things :]
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Ya Ive also noticed with Photoshop CS5, (and CS4?) that since they have their own built in animation options, that the output is always extremely lossy when saving it as a Gif. Back in CS3, which I have on my desktop system, when you wanted to animate it would export the image over to a different program (ImageReady) and you could save a lot of the data, though of course, keeping it at a large file size.


Which one looks better?




and on the topic of a Gallery, Ill wait for a comment from Tsukisama before I make one~


Also, we have hatsuharupeace the Manga Editor, joining in for this theme! and I like your lighting in that sig hatsuharu~


aaaaaaaaaand is this better?
 
Last edited:

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Coffee - I look forward to seeing your gallery.:tem I'm sure you'll get one. It's really nice to see someone's artwork all in one place. About the two sigs above, I like the second one better, but on both I'd like to see the render a bit sharper in the middle. I guess that might take away from the 3D effect, yet perhaps you could compensate by using lighting effects as well. The Different sig also looks better. :)
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Coffee- I personally like the first of those two above. The bright blue parts on the arm kind of ruins it for me. Hope you get your gallery also :D


Oh, and what you guys think about a Betrayal/Espionage theme?
 
Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Coffee- I personally like the first of those two above. The bright blue parts on the arm kind of ruins it for me. Hope you get your gallery also :D
Choosing between these two totally baffles me :D
Really, the second one is cool in a way, but in a way it's weird as well, while the first one simply is rock solid and looks nice. I can't decide whether the second version is better or worse...

Spionage is interesting, but on the other hand it's maybe a bit too specific. I like topics which grant a little more freedom.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Yeah probably.... I just found it interesting and saw a lot of renders that fit the theme.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Debaron - Alright, Ill work on putting some lighting effects in, as opposed to that much blurring...

@Kakashi - Ya, I thought the blue looked pretty cool, I was going for like a damaged look to the armor, but apparently others dont think it looks good - sometimes sharpening things too much gets interesting results~

@Roflkopt3r - I agree about the theme being really specific, but I still like the Betrayal Idea, it could be good~

@Tsukisama - Maid and Santa themes? XD
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Maid and Santa theme :love

The betrayal theme has been on my mind for quite a while now... and I think there's a perfect character for this theme :XD
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Ya, Ive brainstorming what I would use for a betrayal theme, I could probably merge a few renders to make a good one, but other than that I would probably have to do an anime-specific one, and unless you've seen the anime, you might not get it XD

+(We need a Halloween theme too, don't we?)
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I think the characters I have in mind has a quote to go along with the theme :D
Almost forgot about Halloween :S
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top