All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

That is a pretty badass coloring job~ GJ -

Thanks for the advice on my sig work - I was staring at it last night and noticed the same thing that was mentioned about the depth disappearing - which I didnt notice before - I believe I can fix that problem while keeping the rest of it.


@Farfalla and Bugzee -
- I was being sarcastic about the begging - sorry if I offended~
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

No worries, Coffee~ I'm not offended. :p

I'm still working on some ideas for my shadow sig. I haven't thought of anything particularly amazing so far. I'm going to try out a few more ideas and see where it takes me lol.
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

I was kinda rushing to fix this sig up, before I submit it. It's still crappy, but is it better than before?

 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Now do we like it with the red effects or without???





also added some more to the blue so its more obvious what I was going for~


I saw that header the other day and was like, that looks like Coffee's work. Great job! I really like it.
Well it DOES have one of my custom brushes/patterns in it~
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

I don't mind the new red colouring effect but I still honestly prefer the one without it. It looks badass. If you remove the red colouring around the mouth and just leave the redness around the arm; it would look better imo. :)

Hey Coffee, what time is it over there for you right now? o.O
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Well... flashing light idea didn't work out well...-_-; I'll see what I can do to make my sig better, if it isn't good, then I'll try another idea.
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ Coffee- Out of those two I like the one without the red, but I think Bugzee might be right. The red could look good if the red around the mouth was removed.
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

:confetti
The winner of the future contest has been decided, and the winner is Bugzee, making this his first entry into 2011 winter signature contest!

Although the title would suggest a rudimentary nature upon which to be built, Phase 1 is quite well done. The subjects of the piece are appropriately chosen, as Appleseed Ex Machina, sequel to the acclaimed 2004 film, Appleseed, depicts a post-third-world-war society full of genetically altered humans and very advanced technology. While the theme of the movie can be somewhat dark at times, there is an underlying message of hope for humanity that can somewhat be seen in the face of the heroine of the film, seen in the foreground here. As she, hawk-eyed, takes aim to protect Olympus, one cannot help but wonder what is to happen next in this scene rife with suspense.

What does the future hold? Only time shall tell, but one thing is certain: Bugzee's talent shall continue to shine! Great job! :cheerbunny
:confetti

Please be sure to seize the future and wish Bugzee congratulations on his present win. ;)​

There is still one week on the shadow contest to go. Also, I shall post the nomination thread for the same render contest. Remember that you each will only be allowed to post one render upon which your peers and you shall vote when the time comes. You have one week to submit a nomination.
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

:confetti Congrats on the Win Bugzee!:confetti

That sig gave me some serious deja-vu, for some reason. I fell like I've seen it before, but mabye I just saw the render or something, or I actually saw the future at some point. :blink Anyway, great wrok!

I`m a little sad that Kakashi got so few votes, his sig was really nice. :( And mine should not have received as many as it did.

Also, in regars to the render selection for the upcoming contest, which of my bunch do you guys like best. It doesn`t matter a whole lot to me and I`d prefer to submit something everyone likes, so we`ll all be motivated to make awesome sigs. :D
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Congrats Bugz Bunny

Heh anyways, well done, well done~ Very nice background and I like the 3 small sections over on the left - I haven't seen appleseed myself, but Ive had one or two people talk to me about it before, and each time it seems to sound better and better...

again, good job!

@Debaron -

I cant believe mine got that many votes either - It just goes to show the differences in taste I guess - While I wasn't all that happy with it, apparently some enjoyed it - So its all good~
and your sig isnt as bad as you make it sound either the left side especially with the HQ render and the smooth brush effects around it worked well~


Also got some things to share first -
I think Ill title it Kagerenbou =

For those who don't know - I have combined Kage (as in Shadow) and Kakurenbou (as in hide in seek)

I also stumbled onto a depth technique while I was playing in photoshop earlier today - I noticed that the result had awesome depth and even more potential ~ So I added some grass and a sky to which the result was =



 
Last edited:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Congratulations Jin xD
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Thank you everyone!!! Thank you to all the votees as well! :kissbunny

@ Tsuki - that was one of the best winning commentaries ever! Arigaotu~


Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina are two fantastic anime movies that I highly recommend to you all to check out! I came across that render a while back but never had the chance or time to watch the movies until the future sig theme came around. So after watching it, I kinda got a solid idea on how I wanted to go about making an Appleseed-themed sig. I saved a couple of screenshots while watching both movies for the purpose of using them later on in the sig but as much as I tried experimenting with them; it didn't look as good as I wanted it to. So eventually I settled with the background image of the "old city" from the game; Fallout 3. The three "boxes" were basically meant to be "visual screens" depicting three different situations during the first part of this war for the future of humanity; hence the title being "Phase 1".

@ Debaron8 - you seem to constantly dislike or put down your own efforts and sigs. Seriously, dude you have improved drastically and your manga colourings are superb! There's nothing wrong with your ideas or anyone elses. The up and coming "same render" contest will prove this imo. Everyone who participates on a regular basis have cool ideas, it's just down to the execution and overall presentation of the initial idea that captures the masses. ;)

I thought you had a great idea for the future theme. The text/quote went perfectly with the flashback of Sasuke's childhood memories. The pattern/effects from the left hand side wavering across towards the right was a pretty neat idea if I say so myself. Very suttle but appealing at the same time.

@ kashy - Dude, I was seriously behind you on this one. I gave you a couple of suggestions which I hoped you liked. I would've given you more help after you made the changes but I didn't want you to feel pressured or uncomfortable about it so after my inital suggestions I thought it would be best to leave you be and see how you improved the overall sig the way you want it! Keep up the good work! :hi5

@ Coffee - Hiii~ :D I can't wait to finish up my shadow-themed sig for you and everyone else to see. :p

@ the viewers and guests - sign up and start participating in the sig contests! xDDDD! :cheerbunny
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Congrats Jin~ :confetti

I'm not surprised you won, it was a great piece of work. :thumbs
I'm a bit sad that I messed up my sig, even though I doubt I would have won even if I made it better than the first one, still... It's a bit frustrating. :darn

I just tried another sig for the shadow theme. Would like to see some feedback :tem

 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ Kakashi - Wow, that sig looks great! I really like the color palette. The right side and the clipping mask with the japanese text also work nicely. IMO, I would like the sig to be a little shorter in height, but I have a bias towards short and wide sigs. I'm also not sure about the position of the english text, I kinda looks weird where it is right now. I would also think a bit more about lighting. You may want to try darkening the edges and brightening other parts to give the sig more depth, some blurring could also work to the smae effect. But none of these things need to be drastic, b/c it already looks very nice.

@Bugzee - I'm glad you like my work, I usually don't like my sigs much b/c when I get an idea I plan things for the emphasizing the meaning instead of visual appeal, which in the end leaves me wanting more from the visual point of view, but it's also that I do these sigs for fun, so when I get bored I just give up. I know it's lazy so I'm hard on myself, I'm way more of a perfectionist with colorings, so I'm usually more pleased with the results. Though I do like my future entry quite a bit, I think it's probably my best yet.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@Bugzee
- It sounds like you are pretty proud of your Shadow Sig - I can't wait to see it -



I redid the grass a little bit -
 

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
1,176
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

congratulations, jin \o\~~~~

and I lost the dead line for the future theme and even the voting ¬ ¬
damned internet connection...

shadow theme seems promising... I'll see if I can do something for this one...
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Whew, Just lost all my bandwidth for the month~

Had someone post 2 of my images straight from my photobucket on the main MH page - Poof went my bandwidth~

To fix the images that were still being displayed (then as "Bandwidth Exceeded" message) I paid 3 dollars to upgrade my photobucket to the Pro account~


Check it out = http://mangahelpers.com/news/details/461

LOL AGAIN!!!
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

I just tried another sig for the shadow theme. Would like to see some feedback :tem

Okie dokie, kashy~ As promised, I'm giving ya some feedback~

I love the idea and look of your sig at present but there are a few things that you could do to improve it and take it one step further:

- The kanji and text should be a different colour. The kanji symbols look a bit messy and unreadable to me. I would make the kanji a lighter tone of pink/purple. Look at the range of tones in this picture. Something like that could work. Light, warm and complimentary to the other colours you've used in the sig. Obviously, once you've chosen a better colour tone; you could apply a suttle effect or pattern over it.

- The main render of the female character on the right hand side is fine. However, the other one which you've kinda blended in with the background needs some work. I would actually increase the size of that one. Make the face/head of the render bigger compared to the main render on the right. Keep the blend/fade but just bigger and more focused.

See how it goes and let us know if you need some more feedback. :)

shadow theme seems promising... I'll see if I can do something for this one...
nanaD!! You have to submit something before the deadline! pwease~ The more submissions the better! :p

Don't forget about the same render contest submissions, everyone! I'm still searching for a few more before I make my mind up. That FMA render of Pride is my no.1 choice atm. I'll give it another day and if I don't find anything better or more interesting then I'll submit it in. :amuse
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@Kakashi -
- The kanji and text should be a different colour. The kanji symbols look a bit messy and unreadable to me. I would make the kanji a lighter tone of pink/purple. Look at the range of tones in this picture. Something like that could work. Light, warm and complimentary to the other colours you've used in the sig. Obviously, once you've chosen a better colour tone; you could apply a suttle effect or pattern over it.
- Or you could try putting a stroke or outer glow around it instead to make it a little more visible~

And I don't remember seeing a link to it in here yet so -
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67432
The Same Render Nominations have already started, if you have yet to notice.~
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top