American Politics | Page 236 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...hief-pruitts-work-with-oil-gas-companies.html

So uh... yeah, I'm just here waiting for the country to turn into a No Man's Land with a butchered environment.
Public outcrey usually keeps companies such as these in check more so than fines for breaking regulations (i mean look how fast an oil company can pay off oil spill damages).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Dont understand why people are mad about Trumps stance on letting states decide their Bathroom rights. People should be glad States have the right to decide. If youre not happy just move to another state. Easy peasy.

Onyx Darkmatter

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Public outcrey usually keeps companies such as these in check more so than fines for breaking regulations (i mean look how fast an oil company can pay off oil spill damages).
But a public outcry isn't always enough tho. Sure, there's always Economic Protest (most effective type of protest; worked out well with Nike), but regulations tend to keep companies in check if they ever caused such damage to the environment.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dont understand why people are mad about Trumps stance on letting states decide their Bathroom rights. People should be glad States have the right to decide. If youre not happy just move to another state. Easy peasy.
It is like letting states decide whether they want to have a toilet for black and for white people.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think if youre going to be letting people choose bathrooms, then its only fair that citizens get to vote on who should use the bathrooms that theyll be using them with. The beauty of democracy is that popular voting for states leads to the right decisions made.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
But a public outcry isn't always enough tho. Sure, there's always Economic Protest (most effective type of protest; worked out well with Nike), but regulations tend to keep companies in check if they ever caused such damage to the environment.
If regulations worked, then why did even EPA fall victim to causing an oil spill or even being a cause of the flint water crisis. If regulations worked why have oil spills happened/continued to happen, or defunct power plants having their toxic byproducts emptied into the environment?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Why?`Noone ever was upset about Bill Clinton holding speeches since 2001.
150 million just for Hillary Clinton in a year would be a significant amount, yes.
150 million for Bill AND Hillary Clinton in 15 years are not that much.
10 Million from big banks for Hillary Clinton are hardly worth talking about.

And how is that a lever? A Woman with 70 million (and a similarly rich husband) won't get any more money from big banks....who were not even the biggest givers. Hillary Clinton got most speech money from other sources than big banks, so how is it a lever if they won't give her money anymore when she and her husband are rich to begin with and even if they need more can use other sources?
Added to that, them not giving her more money can only happen if she becomes president when she is in her 70's. Then she is president for at least 4 years, which does add some income too, and only after that, when she is close to dying and still has her own wealth and the wealth of her family, only then she MAYBE won't get more money by the big banks who were responsible for a little bit of her overall income.
And that is a big if, since the banks didn't donate her money. I am pretty sure that big banks value political insight of an ex president over their pride.

There really is not a lever to be found here.

People act like Clinton didn't give the banks something back for the money they gave her.
Clinton is in no way dependend on the money she received. Not even remotely.

I do not say money does not influence politics. We saw that just latly with Betsy DeVos.
I am saying that in this incident, the money Clinton got from big banks were peanuts compared to her own wealth and compared to the money her campaign mustered up.
It was also only just a fraction of the money she got for speeches.
It is a complete neglect of logic to think that clinton of all people would be a pet of wallstreet due to that.
Politicians holding such speeches and getting huge amounts for that is a very common thing. And that is because their political insight is valuable.
You can argue about outlawing that because it might lead to controversy, but even then, in this particular incident, it makes absolute no sense to say that there is any lever of big banks on clinton due to her speeches.
Not giving her more money is definitely no such lever.

I sure hope so. Warren has her own problems right now (her biggest support are rather radical leftists who will give her trouble for every time she finds an actual consensus instead of going extreme), but I think she is positioning herself as a popular oppositional leader which could lead to a succesful run in 4 years or sooner.
Hillary has been taking crap for years regarding the money they receive from donations. The only difference with bill is that he hasn't had any position in government since his presidency ended. And come on, 10 million dollars a year in paid speeches and 10 million from banks is an insane amount of money... And yes, giving speeches is normal in this sort of situation. But that does not mean it is ok.

So.... trust clinton because she is so rich that there is no chance the money she is given will influence her decisions? Come on, under that logic I would have to believe trump also isn't beholden to the people who donated money to his campaign. And yet, devos basically bought her position as far as we know even though trump has at least hundreds of millions of dollars and is a self proclaimed billionaire.

I am not suggesting giving speeches should be outlawed (I do think campaign donations should be limited though). But if you are worth 150 mil and out of that, 10-20 mil comes from private interest which consistently lobby the government then you should be treated accordingly (and I do think it is absolutely reasonable to be highly suspicious of this). And you know, you might have a point where it not for the actual emails that detail how clinton actually gets these speeches in the first place.

I don't think her support comes only from the radical left. Isn't she popular among regular democrats as well? At the very least they won't object to her.

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Speeches are not an investment.
Speeches are interesting for banks because banks get their inside knowledge due to that, which is very important for future investments.

Clinton telling them inside knowledge about the personality of, for example, people like middle eastern leaders, about political situations and problems in different countries and so on is very valuable.
That is why she gets paid for it.

You can see that a lot of politicians who will never be active in high profile politics again get money for such speeches.
It's not about the speeches LMAO it's about what happens to policies after the winner that got the investment does and I already know the BS that follows with those sort of connections in a presidency, my country is very good when it comes to corrupt transnational paid politicians, so I already know politicians being invested by outside elements isnt a good thing, if anything it's risky for the people who will be under said politician's policies and we dont even know how deep the deal goes (in my country the sold out politicians got some nice jobs on transnationals after getting out of their seats).

The only lose scenario is if the investment pick fails, to get to the power spot (what happened to hillary and even then they can still just invest on other options (looking at you Soros)), thats all I'm saying on this, kind of stuff, it's not respectable by any means to me.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Did I miss read trumps message or are people going to the extreme again, no way is trump or even the us government sending this message.

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Did I miss read trumps message or are people going to the extreme again, no way is trump or even the us government sending this message.
It´s funny how Trump´s presidency is making radicals go on overheat mode, LMAO:heh

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
If regulations worked, then why did even EPA fall victim to causing an oil spill or even being a cause of the flint water crisis. If regulations worked why have oil spills happened/continued to happen, or defunct power plants having their toxic byproducts emptied into the environment?
I never said all regulations work, but how in the hell did the EPA caused oil spills and even the Flint Water Crisis? I don't get where you're coming from about the Oil Spill one, but the Water Crisis happened because Snyder and his Officials switched the water pipes to the Flint River (which is known for being toxic). Maybe you're saying how the EPA handled the crisis, which would be fair to say that.

Oil spills and power plant malfunctions may still harm the environment because of accidents (which is fine as long as the companies fixes the issue asap). Regulations are made to prevent companies from intentionally harming the environment.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I never said all regulations work, but how in the hell did the EPA caused oil spills and even the Flint Water Crisis? I don't get where you're coming from about the Oil Spill one, but the Water Crisis happened because Snyder and his Officials switched the water pipes to the Flint River (which is known for being toxic). Maybe you're saying how the EPA handled the crisis, which would be fair to say that.
Oil spill https://www.usnews.com/news/article...able-gold-king-mine-spill-interior-dept-finds
Fire http://www.wthr.com/article/epa-takes-blame-for-mishawaka-chemical-fire

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Dunno exactly when he made his speech, but his Twitter remark was made on 19th Feb @ 1:57pm

He probably just heard Fox say it, believed it (because he is a moron and doesn't bother checking anything) and so instantly said it, as it fits with his rhetoric.

The problem is that he knows he can say whatever he likes, then issue a statement to justify/correct what he said, as most people won't remember his later statement and the damage will already be done.
It isn't really all that new of a technique to spread false information.
Or rather, they'll believe it anyway and cry fake media whenever they call him out. Trump's done a great job of manipulating eople.

https://t.co/ViVsZ3qBs8
So tell me again how Muslims are the dangerous ones?

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there world look at our corporate owned news!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Jimmy is taking Venezuela's government seriously? Come the fuck on, venezuela's government is a miserable and failing dictatorship. They have been suppressing press for well over a decade. So when he asks "wouldn't it be great if we could do this in america?" the answer is "NO!" you god damn moron. Jimmy dore wouldn't last 2 days in venezuela... What's next? Fidel castro as the epitome of human rights defense? Hitler the least xenophobic man alive? Mijica wasn't part of a guerrilla? Putin loves independent press?

Kay3795

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Trump really is shaking American, quite interesting. And though some loathe his methods , others see the benefits.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
There are a few stories out there about republicans moving away from the whole "repeal and replace" regarding obamacare. Call me crazy but are some republicans about to start fighting for it?

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Oh god, now we gonna have Obamacare turf wars on congress to decide on either repeal, or just changing it?:facepalm

There are a few stories out there about republicans moving away from the whole "repeal and replace" regarding obamacare. Call me crazy but are some republicans about to start fighting for it?
Indeed they are, my my this obamacare stuff just became controversial as fuck, some dont want this or that option, or the increased prices, whereas others are ripping off the benefits from it, 1st class controversy at best, (I feel bad for both sides).

Well as long as they remove a lot of the BS options and the increased inflactioned pricing it can still be maintained but if that will remain, it´s just delaying the inevitable to let it continue.:gwah

Onyx Darkmatter

Reaction score
Country
United States
So today is the day the DNC gets a new Chairman. I haven't checked it out and all, but I don't know how things will unfold for the next few years...