American Politics

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I suppose it might vary between banks and states but you don't need a SSN to open a bank account in the US. Heck, I opened one a few years back.

Hmmm, I've been told something similar to this process by people I know that have managed to migrate. But it's not something I've gone through. It is clear to me that the process is longer than it has a right to be and pretty much broken. That's a different issue from what legal immigration in a country should look like though.

The US is weird on the whole proof of citizenship thing. I am from an honest to god shithole country and it's comically easy for anyone to prove they are a citizen. Government issued identification states your nationality and even that can be verified through government websites. The US not having this simply sounds like the government is not doing it's job. I am aware that in the US the whole proof of citizenship is mixed with voting rights issues... though it's a shame that democrats don't usually try to pass sane alternatives to what republicans want (at least that I am aware off).
Yeah it could just be the bank we use.
Proof of citizenship here is either a passport, or a birth certificate and social security card I believe. Not too complicated. It gets more complicated with mixed nationalities and some countries who don't allow dual-citizenship.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
So... you think countries should just allow everyone who wants in? Straight up open borders as republicans fearmonger with?

Hmmm, I am not sure of what you mean with that secon paragraph.

I mean, I've made the point that the US needs immigrants. The several points I've made are more along the lines of people trying to use asylum as a path toward citizenship even though they don't even qualify for asylum, and separate from that about illegal immigration in general. I see immigration as more of a dealer's choice thing. Different from asylum which is a right people have.
I never said that.

What does "qualify for asylum" mean? They're in danger, so wouldn't that mean they qualify? Not to mention again, the vetting process is pretty thorough so anything suspicious about them, no matter how small, and back they go.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Yeah it could just be the bank we use.
Proof of citizenship here is either a passport, or a birth certificate and social security card I believe. Not too complicated. It gets more complicated with mixed nationalities and some countries who don't allow dual-citizenship.
But.... those aren't things most people have afaik. That's why it's a big issue every election when republicans try to pass laws to demand these at voting sites.
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But.... those aren't things most people have afaik. That's why it's a big issue every election when republicans try to pass laws to demand these at voting sites.
Everyone born in the USA gets both a birth certificate and a social security card. You'd have to explicitly try not to.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I always found it weird that they get so offended when they hear the words "white supremacist." They didn't report "The shooter was a Republican!" - they reported that he was a white supremacist. Suddenly you have all these self-proclaimed conservatives taking issue with that reporting. Sounds like they might themselves be white supremacists.
At this point the saying "a hit dog will holler" really is the only explanation that fits.

They know the term applies to them, they just dislike the term itself even if it pretty much describes their values. It's the same group of people who enjoy being racist as a shit, denying it, and then coming up with hilarious euphemisms like "realist" or something.
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
At this point the saying "a hit dog will holler" really is the only explanation that fits.

They know the term applies to them, they just dislike the term itself even if it pretty much describes their values. It's the same group of people who enjoy being racist as a shit, denying it, and then coming up with hilarious euphemisms like "realist" or something.
They're all about finding weird hills to die on so yeah.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
They're all about finding weird hills to die on so yeah.
This also being their prevailing political platform -





A more accurate addendum to this meme would have an Establishment-labeled Optimus Prime being the one to send the T800, but I digress
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I feel like a lot of the pundits/politicians are fear mongering for votes. They def have no problem lying to get support.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Everyone born in the USA gets both a birth certificate and a social security card. You'd have to explicitly try not to.
So.... why is voter ID an issue every election? What am I missing here?
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So.... why is voter ID an issue every election? What am I missing here?
Depends on where you are. Voting in the USA is really complicated with the three layers (Federal, State, Local). I honestly think if you had verification of citizenship (like a passport, social security card, birth certificate) that you should never be turned away from voting on a Federal Ballot. I do think state and local government elections require a bit of additional scrutiny because otherwise you could end up with left or right leaning districts trucking excess voters to areas they wish to dominate.

Some of the complications are to prevent people voting outside of their district (for local). This is one of those touchy subjects where we don't seem to have it codified that you need an address to vote, but the way voter verification and registration happens seems to be its own form of voter suppression. I'm not sure what the solution is. If you live in a tent in the middle of Austin and are a US Citizen, you should be able to vote in Austin Politics as it likely affects you more than your average person. The problem is, how do you prove you are an Austin, TX resident with no ID? I don't know what the solution is short of creating non-addressed resident voter IDs and tracking to make sure they don't vote in multiple districts.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I feel like a lot of the pundits/politicians are fear mongering for votes. They def have no problem lying to get support.
Just check out Margery Taylor Greene. Wants to outlaw drag, finds out her boyfriend / affair partner was filmed in drag at one point, basically responds "WELL THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!"
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Depends on where you are. Voting in the USA is really complicated with the three layers (Federal, State, Local). I honestly think if you had verification of citizenship (like a passport, social security card, birth certificate) that you should never be turned away from voting on a Federal Ballot. I do think state and local government elections require a bit of additional scrutiny because otherwise you could end up with left or right leaning districts trucking excess voters to areas they wish to dominate.

Some of the complications are to prevent people voting outside of their district (for local). This is one of those touchy subjects where we don't seem to have it codified that you need an address to vote, but the way voter verification and registration happens seems to be its own form of voter suppression. I'm not sure what the solution is. If you live in a tent in the middle of Austin and are a US Citizen, you should be able to vote in Austin Politics as it likely affects you more than your average person. The problem is, how do you prove you are an Austin, TX resident with no ID? I don't know what the solution is short of creating non-addressed resident voter IDs and tracking to make sure they don't vote in multiple districts.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Just check out Margery Taylor Greene. Wants to outlaw drag, finds out her boyfriend / affair partner was filmed in drag at one point, basically responds "WELL THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!"
How it works in most places is that you have a government issue ID, a registered address and you vote at said address. You don't necessarily have to live at said registered address and there's no real problem if it's outdated though. If you move you do have to approach a government office to update your address so you can vote at the right location, otherwise you simply vote at the old one. I don't think you can change it to homeless or to "under a bench". I suppose this takes us back to people needing government issued IDs even if you can prove you are a citizen via your birth certificate.


Is... the whole kid friendly drag show stuff something that's actually happening or is this some satanic panic like thing that conservative folk freak out about over nothing? So far I've been of the idea that this is just fearmongering but at times it actually seems like it's happening.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Is... the whole kid friendly drag show stuff something that's actually happening or is this some satanic panic like thing that conservative folk freak out about over nothing? So far I've been of the idea that this is just fearmongering but at times it actually seems like it's happening.
It's 100% Satanic panic. The pandemic is "over" so now they have to switch gears and get really heavily invested into something else to distract people from their platform having zero beneficial policies for the average person.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It's essentially an evolution of Qanon though - using the alleged harming of children as motivation for queerbashing.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
It's 100% Satanic panic. The pandemic is "over" so now they have to switch gears and get really heavily invested into something else to distract people from their platform having zero beneficial policies for the average person.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It's essentially an evolution of Qanon though - using the alleged harming of children as motivation for queerbashing.
So.... Drag shows for children are not a thing or drag queens going to speak at schools is not a thing?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
So.... Drag shows for children are not a thing or drag queens going to speak at schools is not a thing?
I was talking about the panic over it happening, not whether it happens or not.

Though I think characterizing it as "for children" might be a bit of a misnomer. Most of the uproar I've seen is just blatant hateful shit, misinformation, or not enough discretion on the part of parents.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Just check out Margery Taylor Greene. Wants to outlaw drag, finds out her boyfriend / affair partner was filmed in drag at one point, basically responds "WELL THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!"
Projection and wanting to be exception to their bullshit that they spout for support.

Is... the whole kid friendly drag show stuff something that's actually happening or is this some satanic panic like thing that conservative folk freak out about over nothing? So far I've been of the idea that this is just fearmongering but at times it actually seems like it's happening.
Satanic panic. And most of the videos they use to "prove" that the kids are being "groomed" are actually false and not in any way related to drag. The irony of the right crying how LGBT+ people are grooming kids is that they are quiet when churches are actually revealed to be sexually assaulting kids, or they still support churches.

The right seem to want to tackle every non-issues but actual issues that contradicts their views.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I was talking about the panic over it happening, not whether it happens or not.

Though I think characterizing it as "for children" might be a bit of a misnomer. Most of the uproar I've seen is just blatant hateful shit, misinformation, or not enough discretion on the part of parents.
Wait, what? So it is happening? How is that not some to panic over?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Wait, what? So it is happening? How is that not some to panic over?
Drag performers existing and interacting with children isn't an issue to me really?

If a parent is taking their child to an adult drag show, then that's not an issue with drag shows, that's an issue with parenting.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Like Milly mentioned - a lot of the viral tweets I see aren't even drag. One wasn't even a person in drag, it was a stripper at a strip club...
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Wait, what? So it is happening? How is that not some to panic over?
Why is it something to panic over? Children are safer with drag performers than they are in churches, but anti-LGBT+ people don't want to address that for some reason. If this is really about the children, then why aren't the right doing anything to protect them? They're just using them as agendas to get people to support their bigoted bullshit.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Drag performers existing and interacting with children isn't an issue to me really?

If a parent is taking their child to an adult drag show, then that's not an issue with drag shows, that's an issue with parenting.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Like Milly mentioned - a lot of the viral tweets I see aren't even drag. One wasn't even a person in drag, it was a stripper at a strip club...
But, on what reasonable circumstance could that ever happen? That's nonsense. I mean, are parents sneaking kids into drag shows? Clearly a drag show shouldn't allow kids in just the way a strip club or brother shouldn't allow kids in.
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Projection and wanting to be exception to their bullshit that they spout for support.
Every accusation is a confession.

But, on what reasonable circumstance could that ever happen? That's nonsense. I mean, are parents sneaking kids into drag shows? Clearly a drag show shouldn't allow kids in just the way a strip club or brother shouldn't allow kids in.
It's overblown. The right (and left sometimes) rely on outliers to infuriate their base. There have been things like Drag Queen readings at schools, and a restaurant hosting a drag event (not a drag show). The right (and especially alt-right) find something that somewhat fits their narrative (for instance, a restaurant hosting a drag event) and talks about it non-stop so it seems like a serious issue. It's the same thing with the bathroom bullshit from years ago. "What if a man goes into the bathroom to prey on women?!"

The reality is that doesn't typically happen.

They want their Christian values forced on everyone (Texas, where I use to live, is currently debating putting the Ten Commandments up in every classroom).

Why is it something to panic over? Children are safer with drag performers than they are in churches, but anti-LGBT+ people don't want to address that for some reason. If this is really about the children, then why aren't the right doing anything to protect them? They're just using them as agendas to get people to support their bigoted bullshit.
I think the societal panic is stupid, but every parent is going to handle parenting differently and there's not much we can do about that. I had friends in school who were banned from watching the Simpsons (which I was obsessed with), and I had friends who could watch South Park (which I wasn't allowed to until I was about 14 or so). I have kids and while they're not yet old enough for this to be a concern I would not take them to a Drag Show, or a strip club, or a church. It's not any disagreement or judgement on any of those lifestyles. I just don't care to have those things as a part of my childrens' lives.

The right-based fear is real though. My mom is right-leaning, and she's worried that if my kids go to public school they're going to become trans or gay. The weirdest part of all of the right's belief that homosexuality and transgenderism are products of grooming and coercion is that it's like they're admitting they combat those things daily. I've had arguments with my grandparent who thinks "gays are just perverts" and the one argument he couldn't really counter was that "If they aren't born the way they are, then are you saying you have gay thoughts daily, but you are just exhibiting higher self control than your average homosexual?"
 
Top