American Politics

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
To be honest I am begining to wonder whether the whole gun control debate is sort of a moot point at the US. Looking at most other developed nations and their gun control laws... None of it is in any way applicable to the US. The US has a gun culture- which translates to violent culture. The US has a constitution which basically guarantees the right to access to a gun. In turn if you look at other developed nations and their gun control laws... Well, for one thing gun rights are increasingly less of a thing and even if they are they are easy to loose. The US is a country where a non red neck will tell you guns are necessary to keep the government in check. With a straight face. As in completely seriously. Without laughing. Which is incredible (not in a flatering way of course)... Gun laws in other countries make it intentionally and purposely difficult to access guns. The whole point has been to literally take guns away (just look at australia). What the US is looking at right now in terms of gun laws is simply not even remotely enough to make a shred of a difference. To me it seems like any gun control measure that does not effectively reduce the amount of guns in a population simply won't do anything.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
To be honest I am begining to wonder whether the whole gun control debate is sort of a moot point at the US. Looking at most other developed nations and their gun control laws... None of it is in any way applicable to the US. The US has a gun culture- which translates to violent culture. The US has a constitution which basically guarantees the right to access to a gun. In turn if you look at other developed nations and their gun control laws... Well, for one thing gun rights are increasingly less of a thing and even if they are they are easy to loose. The US is a country where a non red neck will tell you guns are necessary to keep the government in check. With a straight face. As in completely seriously. Without laughing. Which is incredible (not in a flatering way of course)... Gun laws in other countries make it intentionally and purposely difficult to access guns. The whole point has been to literally take guns away (just look at australia). What the US is looking at right now in terms of gun laws is simply not even remotely enough to make a shred of a difference. To me it seems like any gun control measure that does not effectively reduce the amount of guns in a population simply won't do anything.
Well, views can change slowly, and laws can become stricter slowly.

The text of the second amendment, in my opinion, leaves enough room to adequately restrict gun carrying.
It would be a big step into the right direction to competely shut down automatic weapons, in my opinion.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, views can change slowly, and laws can become stricter slowly.

The text of the second amendment, in my opinion, leaves enough room to adequately restrict gun carrying.
It would be a big step into the right direction to competely shut down automatic weapons, in my opinion.
Well, yeah, it is possible.... But look at the context. As it stands the US has literally forbidden gun violence research. So.... Even if there if someone gets gun control laws passed there would be virtually no way to actually study whether it is having an effect. Take for instance states which have more strict gun control measures. Supposedly they have lower gun violence. But in turn there is no way to prove a causal relationship. It is not even unreasonable to consider a number of other things such as income, education and god knows what else (heck, maybe it's not even the gun control measures that work, maybe people just don't like guns in that town). IMHO the priority here should be to get gun violence research going once again, that way when any form of gun control law is actually passed, it's effects will be better understood (and easily spread through the magic of google).
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,600
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I bet there's a way to blame Trump for the horrible event in Dallas :kappa

I can't say i have seen the whole thing but at least on the bits i have seen and what i have read it really does not seem like he was pushed as much as you said.
That's probably because it's a much different feel when watching his answers live. You can feel all his emotions, how and when he's nervous or distraught.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I bet there's a way to blame Trump for the horrible event in Dallas :kappa



That's probably because it's a much different feel when watching his answers live. You can feel all his emotions, how and when he's nervous or distraught.
To be fair, odds are that trump totally called it and was right about everything (as he always says in response to such events so far...).

That seems awfully arbitrary. And honestly, not a single source so far suggests the hearing went in any form or context like you suggest....
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,600
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
To be fair, odds are that trump totally called it and was right about everything (as he always says in response to such events so far...).

That seems awfully arbitrary. And honestly, not a single source so far suggests the hearing went in any form or context like you suggest....
Tbh he did call it several times, like with Brussels.

I don't know your sources, but why don't you make yourself into a source by watching it yourself. If none of your sources mentioned anything bad about the committee hearing than I'd be doubtful of their usefulness if I was you.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Tbh he did call it several times, like with Brussels.

I don't know your sources, but why don't you make yourself into a source by watching it yourself. If none of your sources mentioned anything bad about the committee hearing than I'd be doubtful of their usefulness if I was you.
He didn't call crap, come on....

I didn't say anything about the committee not saying anything bad. What I said was merely that every single source around makes the point that comey basically stuck to what he was saying rather than him loosing hard or anything of the sort. The worst case scenario was the ones he was speaking with disagreeing with him but that is hardly him "loosing". Him not convincing people isn't loosing. He wasn't actually on trial.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,600
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
He didn't call crap, come on....

I didn't say anything about the committee not saying anything bad. What I said was merely that every single source around makes the point that comey basically stuck to what he was saying rather than him loosing hard or anything of the sort. The worst case scenario was the ones he was speaking with disagreeing with him but that is hardly him "loosing". Him not convincing people isn't loosing. He wasn't actually on trial.
Oh he did. He said that Brussels was dangerous and had no-go zones way before anyone wanted to admit it. It's sad he had to be proven right by a tragic bombing, and people probably still deny it. Like you are it seems.

It's not about not convincing the committee. It's about the committee dragging things out of him which he didn't and wouldn't have admitted himself, as well as his shaken voice when he says it. Just watch some parts if you want to argue over it.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Oh he did. He said that Brussels was dangerous and had no-go zones way before anyone wanted to admit it. It's sad he had to be proven right by a tragic bombing, and people probably still deny it. Like you are it seems.

It's not about not convincing the committee. It's about the committee dragging things out of him which he didn't and wouldn't have admitted himself, as well as his shaken voice when he says it. Just watch some parts if you want to argue over it.
But brussels is not a dangerous place with no go areas compared to places like detroit in the US.
There are high crime areas in brussels, not its not out of the normal compared to other capitals of comparable size.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Oh he did. He said that Brussels was dangerous and had no-go zones way before anyone wanted to admit it. It's sad he had to be proven right by a tragic bombing, and people probably still deny it. Like you are it seems.

It's not about not convincing the committee. It's about the committee dragging things out of him which he didn't and wouldn't have admitted himself, as well as his shaken voice when he says it. Just watch some parts if you want to argue over it.
Everyone knew brussels is sort of a hub for isis. They basically have muslim guettos where people are segregated. Just looking at the paris attacks made it clear there as something off in belgium. Donald trump didn't call crap, at best he pointed out something everyone already knew. Depending on what he said of course, i don't know what exactly it is he said according to you.

But the committee didn't drag anything out of him. He merely answered questions which were matters of fact. Even the section you quoted did not suggest this.... and if even if we go by winning or loosing, the committee certainly did not win. They did not get comey to say what they clearly wanted him to say. And the only thing they did get, the perjury accusation, is borderline impossible to prove. It is never going to hold, defending from the charge would be laughably easy.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Does anyone else get the Priorities USA ads on TV, I hate how they make it where you cant tell who is funding these anti trump ads. Also Hillary Clinton ads last so long on tv.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
@xi0 Meh, i actually had written a rather long post to you but somehow it didnt get sent.
Anyway, then i will keep myself somewhat shorter:
I think you posted it in the Religious Q&A thread by accident or something.

The only effective measure the US can take against islamic terror attacks are general measures against mass shootings
"The only effective measure"? That's just untrue IMO. I will admit there's a reason why most incidents since the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013 have been shootings, because they're taking advantage of laws or the lack of sound laws in general in the states that they take place. But that doesn't mean doing something about gun laws is the ONLY effective measure. Their tactics have only adapted over the years.

All in all, i find it dishonest if someone focusses on islamic terrorism in the US but ignores stricter gunlaws. You cannot combat one without the other (or other measures against general gun violence).
Well, I don't think that's what I was doing. This entire subject stems from me thinking M3J was attempting to minimize the problem by bringing up other and broader issues the country has in it's place. That's it. That doesn't mean I don't think we have a problem with gun laws in many places or that I have a solution to either problem. I just think it's intellectually dishonest to point at "white crimes" whenever islamic terrorism gets brought up as a topic of conversation. Of course people on the right willingly bury their heads in the sand and say stupid things, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't legit or major. In fact, it has no bearing on the actual problem at all.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Does anyone else get the Priorities USA ads on TV, I hate how they make it where you cant tell who is funding these anti trump ads. Also Hillary Clinton ads last so long on tv.
No Republican candidate really bothers advertising locally where I live, because they generally have no chance of winning Maryland (Nixon, Reagan, and the first Bush are the only republicans to win here). Virginia is a bit different since it's sometimes considered a swing state.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Yes, 4. The shootings in Garland TX, Chattanooga TN, San Bernardino CA, and in Orlando FL. Two years prior to that we had the Boston Marathon bombing as well. Taking advantage of the lax gun laws in a lot of the south seems to be a new tactic with these guys, as planting bombs or martyring themselves is no longer necessarily in order to take lives or even create max casualties. It isn't like there's anything that's happened since 2013 to encourage gun violence over anything else, it's just a no-brainer tactic as weapons in these states are easily obtained. But even so, the only gun the Tsarnaev brothers had was a pistol, and they maimed/killed nearly 300 people, so I don't think the issue is as easily solved just by banning assault weapons either.

And why did he have intolerance towards homosexuals? He was under investigation by the FBI prior to all of this, and I think we all know it wasn't because he was anti-homosexual. The guy pledged allegiance to ISIL, and was associated with someone at his mosque who went on to be a suicide bomber in Syria. Do we really need to split hairs here?
Apparently the terrorist in Chattanooga attack was a drug and alcohol addict who had mental illness (bipolar). The shootings in Garland seems to be related to idiots drawing and showing arts of Mohammad, although that doesn't justify it. And it's weird he chose to attack a homosexual club of all the places where he could have done more damage.

I don't think the issue will be EASILY solved, and that's not what I'm going for. Reduction in deaths is what matters the most, and it'd be harder to do bombs, no?

We could possibly see a reduction in crime period, but that doesn't address the actual issue. Not that "boxing them in" like what Cruz or Trump talked about fixes anything either.
We'd be more likely to see such reduction if mass shooters can't use rifles or have to go the extra mile to get rifles to commit horrific deeds.


Why do people join ISIS or another terrorist group? Why are they willing to sacrifice themselves to hurt others? What makes them more likely to join a terrorist group? SHit like this is far more important than blaming Muslims and creating distance. We need to understand what makes people want to join terrorist groups, as they get their power from pawns.


Wonder what's going on with the investigation on Trump University.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
We'd be more likely to see such reduction if mass shooters can't use rifles or have to go the extra mile to get rifles to commit horrific deeds.
Like I've said before, the incidents being shootings is more of a recent trend. Terror is obviously pretty adaptable, so it isn't a long-term solution either.

Why do people join ISIS or another terrorist group? Why are they willing to sacrifice themselves to hurt others? What makes them more likely to join a terrorist group? SHit like this is far more important than blaming Muslims and creating distance. We need to understand what makes people want to join terrorist groups, as they get their power from pawns.
I mostly agree, but again, you're responding to things I'm not even saying... There are plenty of reasonable people who know this is a problem, and we don't need to appeal to the lowest common denominator when discussing it either, like Trump or Cruz or something.

Anyways, this is just going in circles at this point and is barely related to the topic, so whatever.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Like I've said before, the incidents being shootings is more of a recent trend. Terror is obviously pretty adaptable, so it isn't a long-term solution either.


I mostly agree, but again, you're responding to things I'm not even saying... There are plenty of reasonable people who know this is a problem, and we don't need to appeal to the lowest common denominator when discussing it either, like Trump or Cruz or something.

Anyways, this is just going in circles at this point and is barely related to the topic, so whatever.
I'm not limiting gun regulation to just terrorism though, I'm talking about in general. We'd reduce shooting or mass shootings, whether from white terrorists, Islamic terrorists, or even gangsters. Charleston church shooting would have been more difficult to carry out, if not delayed; San Bernadino shooting might not have happened; etc. I can't see terrorism by bombing being as successful as by shooting, as bombing is outlawed as opposed to owning a gun with license.

I'm adding few things that weren't related. It is on topic though, especially given we know Trump's view. I don't know about Hillary though. I do know that either of them will divide the country, Trump maybe doing the worst damage. idk but I feel Hillary will divide the country by class while Trump will divide by race and religion.

Also, I feel the FBI's reason for not indicting Hillary is bullshit, but whatever. I barely know much about that topic. But either way, it proves that the wealthy or well connected people do get rewards, and they don't need additional rewards or free handouts like republicans/conservatives claim.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I have been looking for a more objective analysis of comey's judgement in this case but so far I have not found any. I think I have a grasp on his reasoning to not recommend an indite but a more objective opinion (obviously not fox news or breitbart) on the matter would help.
 

Onyx Darkmatter

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Messages
512
Reaction score
115
Age
31
Country
United States
Why do people join ISIS or another terrorist group? Why are they willing to sacrifice themselves to hurt others? What makes them more likely to join a terrorist group? SHit like this is far more important than blaming Muslims and creating distance. We need to understand what makes people want to join terrorist groups, as they get their power from pawns.
Propaganda is one of the biggest reasons (if not, THE biggest) why people join ISIS/Daesh (some thought it was going to be an Islamic Utopia, which some of them were shocked to learn the truth behind the organization). Granted, while there were people who joined the group because they're nutjobs/religious fanatics, it also relates to the nature around the third-world countries. Things such as unemployment or not having a wife/family (mainly the Single status) really plays a key to ISIS' recruitment, while ISIS grants members with salaries, a wife (or wives), and even power/authority over others.
But the reason why I mentioned propaganda being the biggest reason is simple: You want to show people scenes where they'll get angry about, something such as bombing mosques or blowing up cities. The Iraqi war and various previous wars in the middle east have enough clips to show it to people and tell them things like "See what happened here? People are being killed because the infidels are declaring war on Islam!" something like that on the line.
The saddest thing is that the young men in their early 20s are more likely to be affected by the propaganda.


So regarding to the US Election, I'll just state my personal opinion about it here: It's awful. I was born in the country, but lived overseas for most of my life until I moved during my High School Years. Being an American and having the ability to vote out of pride really does move me, especially when I was young. I couldn't vote during the 2012 Election Year because I couldn't be 18 until December (yeah, it sucked, but it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with). Now that I have reached the age to vote, I have the option between a guy who doesn't think things through while calling people names under a temper tantrum attitude and a corrupted DINO known for a ton of scandals (I'm not even going to bother calling both of them liars, because you can't become a politician without becoming a liar). Sure, you can argue that Gary Johnson is my third option, but I doubt people will shift their positions to support a Libertarian.
Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen or even read a type of election year where it's too controversial. Trump is a lunatic who calls Mexicans murderers and rapists (I get what he's saying: He's saying that Illegal Immigration is an issue, but he could've at least said it properly and mannerly like "Illegal Immigrants are coming to the country and hurting our citizens"), insulted a disabled reporter, and so many horrible things. Hillary is a crook and the only "moderate Republican" left; it also doesn't help with the Benghazi incident, emails, and even the coal mine speech where she says she'll shut down coal miners.
What I'm trying to say is this: Theodore Roosevelt, JFK, and even Ronald Reagan inspired people to go out and vote. The two candidates we have are uninspiring, and that's what I'm upset about this Election Year.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,600
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Everyone knew brussels is sort of a hub for isis. They basically have muslim guettos where people are segregated. Just looking at the paris attacks made it clear there as something off in belgium. Donald trump didn't call crap, at best he pointed out something everyone already knew.
Oh please. "Everyone knew"? Trump got ridiculed everywhere after his statement about Brussels, I remember seeing most news report on his "baseless outrageous claims" and don't remember anyone saying he's right or that "everyone knows". There was even the hillarious "call brussels" ad.

Wonder what's going on with the investigation on Trump University.
Trump won in court iirc. Interestingly enough the university story was a big deal before, but after Trump won nobody cared anymore, the result wasn't even overly reported. Makes you wonder..
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Oh please. "Everyone knew"? Trump got ridiculed everywhere after his statement about Brussels, I remember seeing most news report on his "baseless outrageous claims" and don't remember anyone saying he's right or that "everyone knows". There was even the hillarious "call brussels" ad.
All trump said was something is going on in france and belgium... two places were long before the attacks people knew there were muslim communities which were basically guettos. Heck, even when looking at the Paris attacks people immediately noticed how many Belgians were involved. Trump predicted squat. He just pretends he did....
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States

And with that Sanders can go back to disappearing from our media. Im so glad he decided to get out the race and support Clinton, he never stood a chance.
 
Top