- Joined
- Dec 20, 2006
- Messages
- 8,247
- Reaction score
- 3,239
- Age
- 41
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
I can't let that slide, because the democratic choice of another person doesn't just effect that one person. It effects all of us. I should have a say in a decision you're making about my life. You would never tell a woman that they shouldn't have a say in some man voting against their reproductive rights would you?I think it is ill-advised from a leftist perspective, but i struggle to officially judge the democratic choice of another person (including the vote for Trump) from above. I do not see how that would benefit anyone, it tends to just make people angrier and more stubborn and undermines the idea of democracy itself.
I agree depending on if I view the person as redeemable. If I don't, then I'll use debate to signal to the audience how bad their ideas are. And sometimes that requires insults and inflammatory language, because ridiculous ideas deserve ridicule. I treat them the same way I do theists when I'm in a religious debate. Because they're both being dogmatically stalwart.Anyone I talk to who expressed they do not want to vote, I try to convince them otherwise. But condemning someone as stupid, bad for his own cause, evil or whatnot for their honest view just does not bode well with me. Because I do not think that is how anyone fighting for anything good wins.
I know we can't harass Leftists into voting for Harris via shaming. It's why I only harass the people that I already know are a lost cause.As a leftist, I want Kamala Harris to win very, very dearly (you can believes me that). But that will only happen if enough people make that choice on their own, we are not going to able to harass them into it by shaming (and we shouldnt want that, either). And as a wider worldview, even if we lose, I personally would not want to think ill of the people (people, not pundits) who stayed at home or voted Trump. I would want to fight for them to make a different choice next time (not just regarding the next election, but the next time they could fight for something good).
Then you should endeavor to make these organizations seem all-inclusive. From the rhetoric you use, and the way you carry yourself. This isn't a knock on you, it's a knock on the Far Left:Bottomline: I would rather have people join leftist organizations and spend effort there than arguing with trump supporters or Pro Gaza/no Harris crowds.
Like avoiding shit like this.