Semifinal - Amir Halgal vs. Mai Sakurajima | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Amir Halgal vs. Mai Sakurajima

Best Waifu?

• Amir Halgal

• Mai Sakurajima

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Amir Halgal
Otoyomegatari
Mai Sakurajima
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny
Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai

Claymore1

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Now this is a tough choice.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Fine @Erinyes , you can have another waifu wars badge.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I doubt Erin will be able to campaign...

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Pictures

Will campaign more soon

@Erinyes , I don't know what you are going through right now, but I wish you the best and I hope it will get better soon. I'll be waiting for you here :hi5

Last edited:

SnuggleCupcake

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Ahhhh, now I want a panda onsie I only have a unicorn one ^^

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Wish you best luck to you too ! @Gajeel !

Not my fave animated design i have prepared, i almost deleted it, glad i didnt, ended up being useful, maybe.

I will just let here some tea and cookies, for now, wont be able to post more right now, but i will definitely try to come up with something before the end of the round hopefully, i ll do my best, but wont promise anything great if i can just write some little thoughts that would be fine, please bear with me ! (thxs everyone for the support, it really means a lot ♥)

Last edited:

SnuggleCupcake

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Gajeel and Mai make a great combo in this war (your campaigns are really good), but I fear Erin has my support no matter what.

Should it come to Amir vs Tifa I will have to face one of the hardest decisions in my whole life, though :sweatdrop
It's okay! The hardest decisions require the strongest wills and you, stranger whom I have never met before, undoubtedly have an incredibly strong will.

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Relationship

Hey, I thought you already talked about the-

Yes, I already talked a bit about how she is in the relationship/traits, but there are some points that I want to emphasize and others that I want to add, so here we go :)

Cook
A pretty common talent, but a highly appreciated one, Mai can also cook meals, often making dinner for everyone whenever she stays at her boyfriend's place. Bonus, it's apparently very good!

Girlfriend-Sibling relationship
Mai is pretty close to Sakuta's sister, which is a very important feature considering Kaede's (Sakuta's sister) Puberty Syndrome that made her develop a phobia of strangers/outside world. She deeply cares about Kaede's situation, to the point where she gets really concerned whenever something happens to her. She also does her best to help her overcome her fear of socializing with Sakuta. Basically a big sister for Kaede, and Sakuta really appreciates it.

Mai concerned about Kaede

Kaede receiving clothes from her big sister

Sakuta being grateful that Mai cares about Kaede

Boyfriend
Words aren't enough to describe how much she loves Sakuta, only the anime and the movie will be able to tell you :p (I highly recommend it!), so that's not what I want to talk about here. What I want to tackle is how she acts in the relationship with her boyfriend.

Mai actually cherishes her relationship a lot and will not let the other half or herself do 100% of the job. For example, if she has a problem, she will tell him about it so they can find a solution together, because she believes that they make one and so it's 50-50. Obviously, she expects the same thing the other way too. Other than that, she also cares a lot about Sakuta's problems, about his health, and about his reputation in society. It might be her first relationship, but Mai takes it very seriously and acts very maturely when it comes to its different aspects, as I've already stated many times, while still being able to tease around. You can tell she already has a future planned for the both of them :D

Mai caring about Sakuta's appearance

Sakurajima telling the school that the rumors about Sakuta are fake

Mai bothered that Sakuta didn't tell her about a problem earlier

Protecting Sakuta's privacy

A problem for two, not one

Even though she can get busy sometimes due to work, her boyfriend will always be a priority

Comforting Sakuta

Remember the feeling when you didn't do your homework, and your friend also didn't do his? Same context here

Vote for Mai ❤
-----

Fun Fact
Did you know that Sakuta and Mai share the same voice actors as Naofumi and Raphtalia from the Shield Hero?

-----

Thank you for your support for Mai, I really really appreciate it!
I'll try and see if I can campaign more before the end, but I can't promise anything​

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

More about Amir (2)

As mentioned, in previous parts, Amir is a strong, a kind, a supportive, a sensitive, and a caring wife, but shes also devoted to her husbando. She is the kind of neglecting her own self for Karluk’s sake, when it comes to him. Previously, i ve mentioned already how much shes ready to put her life on line for him, no matter what. But even in her everyday life, she keeps displaying this aspect of her personality. For exemple, she’s got offered some wondeful fabrics as a present for her wedding by her family in law, and guess what she did ? She spent all nights to sew some garment for her husband when he was sleeping, instead of making use of it for her, as it was aimed.​

Amir sewing clothes for her husbando at night and offering them to him

Also theres the exemple when she literaly spent 24h/24 caring and worrying for her husband when he was ill, neglicting her own health.

A Bride's Story cute neko break ads :errr

Some more thoughts

Couldnt answer to this earlier, so doing it here (sorry) :
Bran said:
Knowing more doesn't equal better. A common misconception with characters imo is that character development or complexity = better. There might be some correlations, but complexity = more, and development = change, that's all. So I often assume when people promote complexity and development, they're talking about the purpose of that complexity and development. You want the value of it not the quantity of it. So, this is what I value in Amir as a waifu:

1. Coming from the mountains, Amir is a skilled hunter and knows how to survive is harsh adversity. This is not about putting food on the table, it means she has learned resilience. For a partner and parent, resilience is a trait you can bank on.
  2. As Erin mentioned, Amir is calm and level headed. This is a product of point 1. There's a certain physical and mental confidence that comes with being able to hunt and survive. It's poise, and grace, which easily translates into the social realm, and that's very attractive. It draws you to them and balances you out too, you become calm. This happens in the manga when she meets other people, it's an inspiring quality.
  3. In addition to making you feel comfortable with her grace, Amir has a loving and thoughtful nature. If she's your friend or lover, she will think about your needs and well-being, and she'll want to be with you, to seek comfort for herself and in turn for you; and without smothering you. This is a common trait, but that doesn't discount it from being stated, as it's important to a sustainable relationship.
  4. As mentioned in the previous round, Amir was overprotective towards Karluk, due to her insecurities, which she was able to acknowledge that and tone it down. Again she deserves credit for character development as it proves her capacity to change for the better of her union with her husband.
  5. She's obviously beautiful, so I'll touch on another appeal of Amir's, her "Je ne sais quoi". She does several things without cue which gain attention of others, and eventually make them curious and interested in her. This owes to her upbringing and aforementioned points, but there's still enough mystery and that means desire imo.
  6. As Erin has demonstrated several times, Amir possesses key fundamentals such as integrity, honesty, and loyalty. I don't suggest this casually, when you see how Amir is presented, spoken, and drawn, you cannot deny she has those traits as if you knew her personally.
@Brandish
100% Agree, regarding hunting, the series is set in like 3 centuries ago, even in western countries, women were not independant enough and were living sponging off their husband. But Amir is a free spirited woman and she's admired actually for her personality and her feats, she has proven to be a a capable, reliable person, she s not waiting the hubby or anyone else to do the job for her, if needed she will get her hands dirty and go and bring food. Again, i don't like when a waifu is acting too submissive with the husband, but i enjoy when they are capable to do a lot and still be committed in their family life, i like when a waifu proves she can do everything for the one she loves and that she can stand for him just bc she loves him with no other interest in mind, and Amir does it.​

She's obviously beautiful, so I'll touch on another appeal of Amir's, her "Je ne sais quoi"​
Oh yeah agree with that too, and i cant nail exactly but i see what you mean, i dont know, i think i would say she has something glamorous, im not saying only in her appearance, but she has this allure, elegance, in all her demeanour, the way she speaks, and all her gestures. I do love cute characters as long as romance is still at early stage, but i think that when it comes to married relationship, i like when female characters level up, and get another step, i like when they have this litlle something added, some allure, some refinement, some new traits in their personnalities, i feel some little more maturity and balanced personnality is the best. Thats why i often end up nominating character i think they really can be good and balanced waifu with this extra something that make them elegant and mysterious too as you said (i feel kouka had it too)​

Amir hunting

Amir's grace, whatever she does.

Dagreatnoodle said:
I like Kohaku as a character in Dr. Stone, but this time my vote goes to Amir.
I will be repeating some arguments that @Brandish already pointed out (credits goes to him). I'm just gonna add my personal touch and sorry if it gets too elaborated or goes out of topic. Warning: there might be some spoilers.
In real life, most of you guys would like to find a partner that cares for you and your children. Someone who is there for you in times of need. Well, Amir is your choice!
First, I have to point out that Amir is from a nomadic tribe, so social roles might differ from the sedentary lifestyle.
A Bride's Story
describes the values and lifestyle of rural people during the 19th century in Kazakhstan (around these parts). Women had to be obedient to her father or husband (patriarchal society). That is why Amir doesn't have a word to say when she has to marry an unknown man. Of course, marrying a 12 year old boy gives her more freedom to do her own things. At the start of the manga, Karluk (Amir's husband) is depicted as someone that doesn't have the authority of an adult husband. You could call this relationship more of a sibling type. That is one of the reasons why Amir has a little bit more freedom than other women (you could even call a sort of emancipation). Nonetheless, she stays faithful to her young husband as a way to respect the woman's role.
Despite this type of social system, women had important responsibilities within the family. They had to take care of children and did mostly of the housework. While reading the manga, I found Amir does the housework properly. In a other words, she is a responsible and trustworthy person. She excels in hunting (like @Brandish said) which is a man's duty. I found funny that men in the village were surprised when Amir brought foxes for diner. :teehee
At some point of the story, Karluk had a fever. Amir became worried as she feared that her husband would die of the illness (some of Amir's family member died of fever). She would tend to him 24/7 (I'm not joking). She didn't even sleep or eat. The type of attention she gave to Karluk was more of a mother. That is a good thing, now that we know she can take care of children. However, considering Karluk is her husband, the overprotective nature embarrassed him. Amir noticed his embarrassment and changed her behavior little by little to a more husband/wife relationship. If we analyse this scene, we can conclude that Amir is emotionally intelligent (capable of empathy). So, she can adapt her behavior according to the people she interacts with.
There are a lot of arguments as why Amir is the best waifu. Unfortunately, I could not write every facts but I strongly encourage people to read the manga and get an idea how great Amir is.

In any case, read the title and you will be convinced... ;)

At this point, I don't know if I wrote a review on the manga or on Amir... Although, I would like to give a big thanks to @Erinyes for introducing me this wonderful manga!
@DaGreatNoodles
1st i want wholeheartedly to thank you, bc you know, the best thing in those events is when someone comes and tells me, he/she started the manga/anime ive nominated (or the character from which). i didnt expect anyone to tell me that when i nominated her, when you told me you started this manga and that you re enjoying it alot, this made me so so happy, regardless of the results/what will happen next, i consider this as the best reward of the event, many thxs again !​

I did some researchs, seemingly in this period average life expectancy all over the world was around 30 yrs old maybe a little more, which is low (even in western countries ) thats why people were marrying that early (men and women) and thats why they were mature/responsible way more quickly than in our societies. Actually Amir is an exception, she is considered already old in this period standards, and still i love how she manages to get people like her, as you said shes loving, caring, respectful towards her husband despite hes being younger, shes always doing her best so he feels confortable, and so not to hurt his pride, and to save his face, as you mentioned, shes emotionnaly inytelligent, able to read situations and to change accordingly if needed.​

some beautiful Amir's caring scenes.

Amir's husbando maturity, and getting even respected by Amir's siblings, thats important bc, i think when a waifu is so caring, and standing that much for her husbando, he can only earns more respect from people who like her.

oh damn Azel is just so hot !!:love

Please vote for me, onegai ! ♥

Last edited:

DaGreatNoodles

Reaction score
Country
France

More about Amir (2)

As mentioned, in previous parts, Amir is a strong, a kind, a supportive, a sensitive, and a caring wife, but shes also devoted to her husbando. She is the kind of neglecting her own self for Karluk’s sake, when it comes to him. Previously, i ve mentioned already how much shes ready to put her life on line for him, no matter what. But even in her everyday life, she keeps displaying this aspect of her personality. For exemple, she’s got offered some wondeful fabrics as a present for her wedding by her family in law, and guess what she did ? She spent all nights to sew some garment for her husband when he was sleeping, instead of making use of it for her, as it was aimed.​

Amir sewing clothes for her husbando at night and offering them to him

Also theres the exemple when she literaly spent 24h/24 caring and worrying for her husband when he was ill, neglicting her own health.

A Bride's Story cute neko break ads :errr

Some more thoughts

Couldnt answer to this earlier, so doing it here (sorry) :

@Brandish
100% Agree, regarding hunting, the series is set in like 3 centuries ago, even in western countries, women were not independant enough and were living sponging off their husband. But Amir is a free spirited woman and she's admired actually for her personality and her feats, she has proven to be a a capable, reliable person, she s not waiting the hubby or anyone else to do the job for her, if needed she will get her hands dirty and go and bring food. Again, i don't like when a waifu is acting too submissive with the husband, but i enjoy when they are capable to do a lot and still be committed in their family life, i like when a waifu proves she can do everything for the one she loves and that she can stand for him just bc she loves him with no other interest in mind, and Amir does it.​

Oh yeah agree with that too, and i cant nail exactly but i see what you mean, i dont know, i think i would say she has something glamorous, im not saying only in her appearance, but she has this allure, elegance, in all her demeanour, the way she speaks, and all her gestures. I do love cute characters as long as romance is still at early stage, but i think that when it comes to married relationship, i like when female characters level up, and get another step, i like when they have this litlle something added, some allure, some refinement, some new traits in their personnalities, i feel some little more maturity and balanced personnality is the best. Thats why i often end up nominating character i think they really can be good and balanced waifu with this extra something that make them elegant and mysterious too as you said (i feel kouka had it too)​

Amir hunting

Amir's grace, whatever she does.

@DaGreatNoodles
1st i want wholeheartedly to thank you, bc you know, the best thing in those events is when someone comes and tells me, he/she started the manga/anime ive nominated (or the character from which). i didnt expect anyone to tell me that when i nominated her, when you told me you started this manga and that you re enjoying it alot, this made me so so happy, regardless of the results/what will happen next, i consider this as the best reward of the event, many thxs again !​

I did some researchs, seemingly in this period average life expectancy all over the world was around 30 yrs old maybe a little more, which is low (even in western countries ) thats why people were marrying that early (men and women) and thats why they were mature/responsible way more quickly than in our societies. Actually Amir is an exception, she is considered already old in this period standards, and still i love how she manages to get people like her, as you said shes loving, caring, respectful towards her husband despite hes being younger, shes always doing her best so he feels confortable, and so not to hurt his pride, and to save his face, as you mentioned, shes emotionnaly inytelligent, able to read situations and to change accordingly if needed.​

some beautiful Amir's caring scenes.

Amir's husbando maturity, and getting even respected by Amir's siblings, thats important bc, i think when a waifu is so caring, and standing that much for her husbando, he can only earns more respect from people who like her.

oh damn Azel is just so hot !!:love

Please vote for me, onegai ! ♥

Amir being too old for the period's values is an interesting fact you pointed out Erinyes. Actually, I remember, while I was reading the manga, someone said that Amir would never have children, implying that she might get too old if Amir waits for Karluk to grow up (I don't remember which asshole said that though). That is a complete misbelief of this period. As we know today, women can have children between their puberty (12-14 years old) and their menopause (mostly 45 years old). Of course, miscarriage (when the child dies during childbirth) or maternal death (when the mother dies during childbirth) might have been obviously a common thing during this epoch. It explains why women had their first child early and why there was a lot of children in families. Well, there is also the fact that children could help with housework (think about 19th century Europe where children worked in mines but let's not compare those two for now).​

Anyway, Erinyes, you forgot to mention Amir's brother, Azel. He might be the most badass character in the manga.
He single-handedly managed to defeat (or we can say wound) several men with his bow before getting captured.
Best Brother-in-law. Please Erinyes, the pics! :wtf

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Oh no i didnt forgot about Azel at all, he's one of the reasons why i started the series, and currently one of my favourites males character, (after Marian Cross) :arf
i wanted to talk about him, her family and their relations etc., but will definitely do it, if Amir makes it to the finals, im really at short of inspiration, i need to keep a little in case. :nod

preview (in case ) :errr

Status
Not open for further replies.