1. A new contest has begun, enter HERE!

Voting has now begun for the Super Heroes contest! so choose and favourites and show some love!
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. The Anime Awards 2017 are over. You can now check out all the winners!
  5. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Discussion Art Contest Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Art Contests' started by Charlie, Jul 23, 2012.

1. goldb

goldb ゴールドセイント

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Administrator

United Kingdom
    Unless otherwise specified, there's no limit to your where you draw your inspiration/ influence; i.e you could draw an "Angels and Demons" version of say...Mario and Luigi, it's completely allowed for this contest, or you can go the traditional route the renaissance route.

As long as it is hand-drawn (paper or computer/tablet) and in black and white.

2. Battou

Battou ⎲⎳∐∏

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Global Moderator

Uruguay
    Congrats on the win bob :wowsoBOB

And Ust as well !, forgot you could vote for 2 sets

Ustegius and goldb like this.
  3. WithYouInSpirit

WithYouInSpirit Certified Sensei

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Australia
    Predicatble outcome. Cograts Bob on the win and also Uste for a well deserved second place :amuse

goldb and Ustegius like this.
  4. riki

riki Short and Sweet

Mangahelper

United States
  5. DiMaria Yesta

DiMaria Yesta MH Senpai

Indonesia
    Congratulations sir. And congrats to Ustegius too

6. Charlie

Charlie 240 V F Master 5000 Pro Katana~

Fire Nation
    Congrats to Bob and Ust, and Bob - probably will be borrowing your set sometime soon and by sometime soon i might been like yesterday xDDD.

7. Darky

Darky MAD fRom wOrk

Mangahelper

Vandenreich
    Congrats to @goldb and @Ustegius for the first contest of this year:D
    And everyone has done a good work too:darn
    Now ,we will see who will submit an entry for the Angel & Demon contest:heh

8. hecatoncheir

hecatoncheir Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Croatia
    i was convinced Neji will win, that work was nicest for me and i knew only him best, but i didn't know i can vote twice. Congrats mody
    I wanna know that nickname who saved me from a complete zero.. and i wonder how many of you are drawing, becose i don't wanna do this thing on my own.

Miralicious akuma likes this.
  9. Miralicious akuma

Miralicious akuma Registered User

India
    I thought exactly the same! and yep you got me, im participating too. i'll submit by saturday for sure, was kinda busy because of exams and everything :)
    And also congratulations goldb for the win! :confetti

goldb and hecatoncheir like this.
  10. Organizized

Organizized Registered User

Sweden
    Congrats Bob and Ust!

:confetti

11. Ustegius

Ustegius A Viking God

Mangahelper

Fun Forum
    I was really confused by this. But then it clicked. The Neji looks bad if you use the Ultraviolet (dark) theme. If I change to the default theme, it works.

So as a future reference @DiMaria Yesta when you play with transparency, check it against a dark or very bright background, to see if the cropping is good. NOw that I saw your set as it should be seen, it is very good.

Organizized and DiMaria Yesta like this.
  12. hecatoncheir

Croatia
    took me time til i figure what you're saying, you're talking about your forum's theme (your background) being Ultraviolet right, and the top of Neji's head on the avatar? Goldb's avatar sig isn't like that or? Becose i don't know if uploading a cropped image in some photoshop and what file is even possible to not make it a complete square?

Miralicious akuma likes this.
  13. Ustegius

Ustegius A Viking God

Mangahelper

Fun Forum
    I don't in my turn understand what you are saying on the latter part, but to make it simple;
    [​IMG]

So what we learn from this, is that one should check the set works on the different forum themes. Obviously You can't make it look perfect on all of them, but you can avoid stuff like the character a hole in his shoulder.

Darky, Organizized, Battou and 4 others like this.
  14. WithYouInSpirit

WithYouInSpirit Certified Sensei

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Australia
    You know I've never really thought about this. Thanks Uste. Even though this isn't directed at me, I too can take it to heart in future.

15. hecatoncheir

Croatia
    aha i see your point now.. but you didn't get me becose i was asking basic stuff actually. What i was asking,. I took cropped png file of Mr Hero here and i go save go as type in photoshop.. and then i have a big list of jpg bmp photoshop png.etc. To simplify the question, to make this kind of no background image my file needs to be png? Jpg can't do this, bmp neither, but a photoshop file type should. So the question is.. what png stands for? Does it stands for exactly and solely this background blend or there's more to it. And can i use anything else than png and photoshop type becose i can't have a photoshop on my own comp.

@Ustegius tnx you explained it well to me, mody can erase, i'll c/p myself what you just said.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM
  16. Ustegius

Ustegius A Viking God

Mangahelper

Fun Forum
    This is a bit off topic, so a section mod can move this to the right place if need, but;

Yeah, if you want transparency, or in graphic talk better known as alfa channel, in your pictures, you need to save/export the file as .png. There are other saving formats that also have the alfa channel, but .png is by far the most common one. It stands for Portable Network Graphics. It's not just about transparency. It is also an almost lossless format, so when compared to .jpg, not only do you have transparency, but you also get usually a better image quality in overall. But the file size is notably larger, since you have more data. It is also a patentless format, so most image editing software should be able to export .png, you don't necessarily need Photoshop. You can go to wikipedia, if you want the more technical details, like how many level the alfa channeld has and how it processes color :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM