Discussion - Art Contest Discussion Thread | Page 108 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Art Contest Discussion Thread

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Um... you need to switch the prefix for the Beach Short Story threads. :sweatdrop

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Um... the results are viewable in the poll for the Beach Short Story voting. Maybe it's deliberate but I think it's not usually like that..?

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Um... the results are viewable in the poll for the Beach Short Story voting. Maybe it's deliberate but I think it's not usually like that..?
Not deliberate but its a bug that happens sometimes. Thanks for pointing it out

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
Now is the time to celebrate!
:confetti
Congratulations to @riki for winning this contest and thanks to everyone for their amazing stories!:occa:occa
The story contest may have ended, but you can still submit your photos in the Animal Photography Contest until the 27th !:gigglebunny
PS:I really need to put an alarm for the announcements ,otherwise I'm lost on the timezones:sbunny

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats riki~~~♡!!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Members can't see the results guys :sweat
Maybe in the new administration, members are not able to??

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The poll hasn't close yet, but will really soon
Then why reveal the results beforehand?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
In any case, congratulations on the win @riki :hug

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Because some guys are ahead of us time wise. :nod

downright

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Congrats riki.

Can anyone share here what was their criteria for voting, because i for example don't have an "eye" for these things so i was interested in outcome.
For one when reading riki's and Malcolm in the middle i felt no "this one was better" I'd say it was like that for every story. Only opinions i succeded in coming up with is.. for Darky his space and comma, space comes after a comma. Organized made a somewhat an easy choice with a women's death. WithYouInSpirit i wish you went for the blind man.. Only thing that would make my choice was knowing riki and organized are already writers so they know better. My Lunafreya already writes stories.

Anyway, moderators. is it usual or unusual to discuss art/contestant's work during submissions? For this one i have an eye..
i'd like to know that criteria too, for me, one.. separating art from lovely shot's, Battou that's a lovely shot.
WithYouInSpirit i like it but your focus is bad, it's on her back, not on her face, she came to close.
Yesta is the best so far, again, + size matters. @natsulucy i'll bring people from other forums
to vote for you but promise me to clean up your garden. :darn

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Congrats riki.

Can anyone share here what was their criteria for voting, because i for example don't have an "eye" for these things so i was interested in outcome.
For one when reading riki's and Malcolm in the middle i felt no "this one was better" I'd say it was like that for every story. Only opinions i succeded in coming up with is.. for Darky his space and comma, space comes after a comma. Organized made a somewhat an easy choice with a women's death. WithYouInSpirit i wish you went for the blind man.. Only thing that would make my choice was knowing riki and organized are already writers so they know better. My Lunafreya already writes stories.

Anyway, moderators. is it usual or unusual to discuss art/contestant's work during submissions? For this one i have an eye..
i'd like to know that criteria too, for me, one.. separating art from lovely shot's, Battou that's a lovely shot.
WithYouInSpirit i like it but your focus is bad, it's on her back, not on her face, she came to close.
Yesta is the best so far, again, + size matters. Natsulucy i'll bring people from other forum
to vote for you but promise me to clean up your garden. :darn
Not sure what your first point on my story was about, since I did the Blind Man piece in the first place, but thanks for letting me know about the focus. I hadn't actually checked it after submitting as I was sort of in a rush because we need to keep the chicks close to their mothers mostly at this stage. I'll try to take another picture before Sunday :amuse

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not at all; as long as any comments/critique about a contestant work is constructive and just pointing out flaws with ill intent.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
@hecatoncheir So weird to see someone say I'm a writer.. :s I write stuff from time to time but it's almost exclusively for myself.

Also, it may seem like I was going for easy feels, but in fact the whole thing was based on a person I know. In her case it wasn't the beach that gave her feelings of dread, but I was touched by the way she made herself overcome whatever haunted her for the sake of her child who was so much like the partner who died. I just tried to put some of that into words.

I just realized I didn't even vote... :facepalm My vote wouldn't have changed the outcome though. Congrats riki! :turtle

Last edited:

downright

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Not sure what your first point on my story was about, since I did the Blind Man piece in the first place, but thanks for letting me know about the focus. I hadn't actually checked it after submitting as I was sort of in a rush because we need to keep the chicks close to their mothers mostly at this stage. I'll try to take another picture before Sunday
i saw you said you have two stories, one was about a blind man, so i imagined an experience from a blind's man perspective. The man in your story became blind too but ofcourse i'll misinterpret that. I'll also try to get a picture before sunday, i hope i'll be able to.

Also, it may seem like I was going for easy feels, but in fact the whole thing was based on a person I know. In her case it wasn't the beach that gave her feelings of dread, but I was touched by the way she made herself overcome whatever haunted her for the sake of her child who was so much like the partner who died. I just tried to put some of that into words.
It's exactly this type of things that'd make me easier to choose, if i knew you were looking in your own past and feels. But that would be something you would have to write in spoiler comment for me to understand, but then again it woudn't feel like i voted for for the piece itself... well hell :amuse

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
It's exactly this type of things that'd make me easier to choose, if i knew you were looking in your own past and feels. But that would be something you would have to write in spoiler comment for me to understand, but then again it woudn't feel like i voted for for the piece itself... well hell :amuse
The thing is, it doesn't matter if a story has some truth behind it, or if the author has some sort of underlying message which you didn't catch or whatever. In the end, you vote for the one you like most, the one which appeals to you or makes you feel something, makes you laugh etc. If I have to explain that the feelings in the story are based on real feelings for it not to feel like "cheap emotions" then I have failed in making it real/believable enough. Simple as that.

Granted, it's hard to really expand on things when there's such a low character limit.. would have wanted to explain a bit more and not just sort of go "and then she died at sea". Give more depth to that part of the story and so on. But rules are rules I guess.

I'm very grateful for your feedback, nonetheless!