Shounen - Asklepios by Uchimizu Tohru | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Asklepios by Uchimizu Tohru

Sexy Randal 105

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Buzz is a terrible name, but it was an interesting chapter nonetheless. I wish the author luck. I will keep up with it.

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I'm trying real hard not to jinx this by liking it.:XD

As for バズ could it be Baz? As in Baz Luhrmann?

squirrellord

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As for バズ could it be Baz? As in Baz Luhrmann?
Could be. Doing a search for "バズ" on the Japanese Wikipedia brings up only "Buzz" results, but looking up Baz Luhrmann, his name too is spelled "バズ". I guess we just won't know until we see some official art showcasing his name

To that end, who wants Buzz, and who wants Baz?
Also, Rosarii, Rosalee, or Rosary?

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
We can do a poll if you want to :XD

*votes for Rosalie/Rosalee since "r" just sounds weird*

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i favour rosalee, but only for consistency with the one shot. rosary sounds nice but doesnt fit

EL_manana

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
same here. Rosalee is simply more beautiful^^

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Either Rosalee or Rosalie works for me. I don't have much preference between Buzz / Baz either; both sound good.

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I vote for Baz & Rosalie.:)

Any spoilers for this week's chapter yet? I would like to see how long it takes for Baz to catch up to his one-shot personality.

rose

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like the problem of what their name's supposed to be has been solved... The book she holds open says "Rosary Telefos". There's some other interesting names there too: Alexander Pope, Herman Melville, Sophocles, Ferdinand Magellan... And the wanted poster Pare or whatever his name's supposed to be says Buzz's name, but it looks like it might say Bazz Medil Asklepios...

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
raw is out - better or worth than spoilers?
anyway, my thanks goes to eni for posting it here

fxu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Well that settles the debate of how it should be spelled.

Rosary Telesfos it is.

Kinda ironic that her name is Rosary.... considering they're being pursued by religion, and she has the name of one of religion's "main" tools/instruments/items (w/e you wanna call it).

Last edited:

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thanks go to the RAW hunter :XD

God, that smells like the DGM names >.>;

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
The names aren't especially trustworthy because Asclepius is spelled Asklepios on the poster - and while maybe that's intentional, it'd just be really weird unless Tooru simply didn't know how to spell it the right way.

But Rosary and Bazz work fine; no matter, really.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Asklepios is just the normal transliteration from the greek alphabet - well at least in germany d'oh.
however, I think whether it is wrong or right in RL doesn't matter and we should stick to the way the author wrote it.

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Asklepios is just the normal transliteration from the greek alphabet - well at least in germany d'oh.
Similar to the Japanese transcription systems, the Greek one has also a worldwide norm. The transliteration "Asklēpiós" is correct in every language but there's also the latin form "Aesculapius". However, every language has a "adapted" version which seems to be either based on the Greek or the Latin word (English: Asclepius).

In German we have both: Asklepios (Greek) and Äskulap (Latin). You can, afaik, use both words in German without a difference. As you can see the Latin form pronounces the "A" like the English "A" while the Greek form pronounces it like the German and Japanese "A", which could explain why a certain form is more popular in these languages. Like the Germans, the Japanese as well seem to go with the direct transcription (k and o) of the Greek word - we pronounce it basically the same unlike English speakers. At least, that's my wild guess (and every expert may correct me before I spread more nonsense) after skimming through some pages >.>

jp wikipedia said:
アスクレピオス(アスクレーピオス、Ἀσκληπιός (’Ασκληπιός) , Asklepios)はギリシア神話に登場する名医。ラテン語ではアイスクラピウス(アイスクラーピウス、Aesculapius)という。
The katakana for Asklepios also indicate an "o" and not an "u" (a-s(u)-k(u)-re-pi-o-s(u)) while for Aesculapius you have the "u". The "c/k" is debatable, of course.

BUT... we all know that mangaka give a **** about correct transcription, so just ignore me >.>

Last edited:

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hm, indeed. Good points all. I read the translator's comments in Chapter 1 and took it for granted that Asclepius was the 'right' way to spell it... dumb of me, sorry :P

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Similar to the Japanese transcription systems, the Greek one has also a worldwide norm. The transliteration "Asklēpiós" is correct in every language but there's also the latin form "Aesculapius".
ah~ of course!
I wonder if there's a discrepancy here - the persecuting church is almost certainly the Roman Catholic Church, and therefore THEY should be using the Latin Aesclepius vs the Greek Asklepios - but maybe they're purposely using "Asklepios" to imply Greek = pagan god = bad?

And how nice of the manga-ka to provide romaji so quickly:XD it's like he's asking to be scanlated:3

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
ty eni, it's not a boring read at all.

so, will Pare (is that the right name? -.-) travell with them or something like that?
I think it's pretty clear where Bazz and Rosary are heading for, but even that might be a hard journey with those knights being near anywhere they go.
I still hope Asklepios will be one of the longer running series, though I can't really imagine where it's going in the long run, perhaps a wartime scenario or a bigger journey like in "The Physician" by Noah Gordon. jumping from generation to generation like JoJo is out of question imo.

edit: on Pare ... is it him

Last edited:

THE KING

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
India
Haven't read the one-shot yet, but by the looks of the 1st chapter it looks good but not too promising imo.

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really liked the second chapter. While in the first Bazz's cowardliness was a little grating, here it becomes endearing, as we watch him chase after cute kittens and almost get run over by stagecoaches... twice :P Rosary is a very cool character, too, and a good assistant to Bazz. They really do make a good pair.

Pare seems rather bland for now but if he is, in fact, going to be following them around, I'm sure his character will be fleshed out.

Once again the surgery was probably the best part. This manga is promising alright. Go go Tooru, hang in there~!