Shounen Asklepios by Uchimizu Tohru

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
chapter 18 is fucking sinister if viewed for what it is. giving someone the fate worse than death, whilst they can do nothing but lament it over and over. even for caligula that was creepy.

and ahahaha oh uchimizu tohru knows how to fuck over the naysayers with buzz finally becoming his one shot personality and look! wahahahaha. ah it's like bakuman said, slow paced manga aren't given the chance to let their characters get strong
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, Asklepios was the first thing that came to mind for me too (with regard to the Bakuman reference).

Another awesome (and, indeed, haunting) chapter. The first half about Caligula was disturbing; we get to see a bit more of that bishop's personality too (saving an orphan not because he's good-hearted, but because he's a selfish, ambitious bastard). Those two pages in which Buzz and Rosary see the empty bed, after which we're shown Caligula dragging himself away almost gave me shivers. Powerful stuff.

I love the ending of the chapter too. Buzz and Rosary are such a wonderful duo and it upsets me that we won't get to see their relationship develop any further. Also, Postale is awesome; the chapter's last page is fantastic.

I love Uchimizu Tohru.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have to agree, this week's Bakuman chapter made me think of Asklepios immediately, though I thought of Double Arts at the same time. I'm shocked that the chapters after Pare's death couldn't attract an audience, the series went from "has potential" to "dramatic brilliance" around there, in my opinion. I'm hoping that Uchimiza Tohru will come back to Jump soon, and this time with a series that has all the drama and intrigue of Asklepios, but one that also gets an audience this time. It seems that a lot of famous manga-ka have had their first series fail (I've learnt that much from following Stranger Ataru's translations), and I'm hoping that Uchimizu is one of them.
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The problem is that this is Uchimizu's third series, and both his previous ones crashed and burned immediately as well. I get the feeling Jump may not let him back again.

And I think the only reason the post-Pare chapters happened is that Uchimizu knew his series was doomed - this was clearly meant to be a final arc, or at least one considerably farther along than the series was.
 

Shurou

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 11, 2007
Messages
745
Reaction score
236
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Uh.. so Pare's alive? A bit of fan-service, I suppose...

What a disappointment for this series to end like this... This one really could have gone a lot farther... :(

I did like Rosary's hair, though xD And "Postale"'s intervention was pretty epic... I didn't even notice him the first time.. !
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
so was Postales mystery solved in the end? I didn't really get it from just looking at the pictures of the last chapter (19) - which btw. is a rather lame end to go "there" again
 

Tanequil

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
78
Reaction score
67
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Waa.... I liked Asklepios a lot. I found it really well done and even chilling in some scenes... And now it's cancelled. There goes my weekly dose of real drama.

Ah well, I hope Uchimizu Tohru gets another chance! I'd love to read his mangas again. :)
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Uchimizu Tohru should do a monthly series in my opinion. That way he wouldn't get cancelled so prematurely.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
or jump needs to reform it's ideas on how series promotion actually works
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
well with Meister too being on the brink I think that's a very plausible possibility!
not that I see any future for Tohru doing Shounen with serious themes...
 

Shurou

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 11, 2007
Messages
745
Reaction score
236
Gender
Male
Country
United States
so was Postales mystery solved in the end? I didn't really get it from just looking at the pictures of the last chapter (19) - which btw. is a rather lame end to go "there" again
Yes, the mystery is solved indeed... Colbro is Postale... -____-
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Had the series been allowed to continue, that probably wouldn't have been revealed for volumes.

I'm sad to see this series go. Doubly so if it is really the author's final chance in Jump. Maybe he should go to one of the "rival" magazines where they'll give him a chance to lay the groundwork
 

fizban

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
543
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Thank you so much for doing the series for us.

I am not thrilled that the series had to end so suddenly, but there are worse ways you can end a series. The other series which weren't cancelled better pull their weight now
 

thiagojoe

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
55
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I really enjoyed it!!! Thanks all the translators and Manga Editors (and raw providers too) who put their work in providing is the chapters!!!
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Do you think that we might get some extras in the tankōbon? I mean it was such an open end to show Pare coming home at the last page ... not that I believe we would ever get tank scans for a dead series T.T
 

Alexandrius

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
87
Reaction score
3
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
^I doubt it. They've got material for three Tankobans, don't think they'll be adding more. Shame though, series started out good. Didn't progress as good as I'd want though, probably due to the dropping and shit.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
did we get 25 chapters? cause that's three volumes. expect some extras or very small volumes
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Asklepios has 19 chapters. I dunno how they got 3 volumes from that, I just figured that volume 2 would be rather long, at 11 chapters. 11 chapters for a volume isn't so much, and assuming that the first volume probably had 8 (though 9 might have been better, considering when Pare died), I would think that 11 chapters for a second and final volume would be the best way of arranging the Asklepios tankobon. I don't know why or where from Jump is putting out a third volume. Maybe it will be loaded with extras that explain where Uchimizu was GOING to go with the series...
 

thiagojoe

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
55
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I didn't even expect it to be released in tankobon, so even if it's one or two volumes it'll be nice!!! Where'd tou get that info from??? Is it official or just rumours???
Some extras would be really nice, but i don't think it'll compensate the fact that the series was rushed and prematurely cancelled. It's a shame.
 
Top