Attemping Cleaning Challenge 001 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Attemping Cleaning Challenge 001

dspark

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Been manga editing for about 2 days, just wanted to get some criticism/advice :amuse

Original Image:

My Cleaned Version:

Tsucchi

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
ok mate. ive cleaned some mangas for me and 1 group, im not too much good but sure i can tell u some advice for ur cleaning attempt.

ok, first of all i think the page is a little overleveled, the black part and lines are not that soft. i think u should do less leveling and more "redrawing and filling".
another thing. the page has to be "totally" cleaned, the balloon as the other japanese thing.

at last u have to redraw table border too, with a 2,3px line. it will result so much clean than now :D

hope to be helpful

cya

Silver_Sea

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Umm...lots of little black dirt spots on the RAW.

Well, I haven't tried this technique before, but how to get rid of them is described in the Toriyama's World guide. Though you might have already read it since its a classic.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Sorry, I read the comments of the guys beneath mine and I realized that that technique is pretty much useles against SWJ RAWs. =XXXXXX;;;;

Last edited:

Obxist

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
theres no need for anything in this one,.. as the tutorial for the cleaning challenge its clearly that this RAW could reach HQ without other tools than simple photoshop :D

my advice that you need to blacken the black first,.. and then redraw the white line,.. try using layers to do that :D

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah... I would strongly advise against using the toriyama world guide for cleaning this page. That guide is basically for tank scans, and wouldn't get close to doing what you need to do in order to get a good quality clean from this raw. Not to mention it doesn't get all the dust out of the blacks, and the whites still have specks of dust in them as well. Plus on that page (TWG) I would have re-done the borders since they're breaking up way too much for my tastes (or at least enhanced them). Basically that guide is about as useful as the unblessed guide when cleaning magazine raws, and that is, not very. Instead I'd recommend using Shinweis Cleaners Compendium to learn how to properly clean an HQ page from a magazine raw.

ddadain

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Comments:

*=>: solution
* --> Causes

Over-leveled --> Lineart to pixelize => Just level A LITTLE BIT!

Over-blackened = > Causes blacks to be sharp => Use lasso/pen tool, keeping a 1px distance from the borders to blacken blacks. DO NOT BLACKEN THE SOFT EDGES!

Clean out stray dust...

Remake Borders

DO NOT TRY TO REDRAW LINEART IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

Try to re-whiten the white contour art by ENLARGING THE RAW BY A LOT and ZOOMING IN A LOT... You can use pen tool too...