Discussion Awakened Devil Fruits

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Going by Doflamingo’s explanation, the idea of Awakening to transform their surrounding environment into the nature of their fruit, which they can subsequently control. At least, in the case of Paramecia.

In terms of Zoan, from what we’ve seen from the Impel Down Guards, they are turned into monstrous versions of the beast their fruit represents. Personally, I’m thinking Oda is going to change that and reveal that those transformations (as well as Chopper’s) are false or alternative awakenings and there is more to Zoans. We’ll see in this arc.

In terms of Logia, I think Punk Hazard is what we can expect. Basically similar to Paramecia, but the changes are permanent and elements persist even after the fact.

So with those ideas in mind…

Mera Mera no Mi - I think the result would be somewhat similar to Akainu’s, with less volcanic activity basically. I imagine that Ace’s presence stopping snow from falling on colder islands is a hint towards that basically.

Bari Bari no Mi - I think this fruit would basically allow one to make things in the environment similarly durable to the barriers.

Fuku Fuku no Mi - This one’s a bit hard to conceive. Maybe he can control any and all clothes, whether he creates them or not? Or he can just turn his environment into clothes lol.

Tori Tori no Mi: Model Phoenix - We may have seen some evidence of his Awakening with him using his abilities to heal others on Whitebeard’s island. So that may cover the mythical part. The Zoan aspect has yet to be seen. Like I said, it might be something different than what the Impel Down Guards did.

Hobi Hobi no Mi - I imagine that the Awakening will probably basically be the same thing she was doing for all those years on Dressrosa without the use of drugs to keep her awake. Another fun thing could be that whenever one of her toy people is touched by a regular person, the effect is passed on and they turn into toys.

Gomu Gomu no Mi - Basically what you said. Turns his environment into a bouncy house.

Suna Suna no Mi - I thought about this as well. I think he has more to show with his abilities, but, like with Ace, I do think he’s shown hints of it, just not on a large scale.

Hana Hana no Mi - I don’t think she’s awakened yet. I think her abilities will allow objects to bloom like she does. It could make her similar to Pica, except not limited by element or surface amount. Something like fractals if that makes sense.

Soru Soru no Mi - Pretty sure she’s awakened, but I’m not sure where her regular fruit ends and where awakening begins. Her fruit allows her to manipulate all souls, so it’s no surprise she can steal souls as well.

Kage Kage no Mi - Not sure if he has awakened, but I imagine he can just manipulate a larger range of shadows. He doesn’t have to cut them to be in control of them.

Nikyu Nikyu no Mi - Paws everywhere.

Bara Bara no Mi - Can split any and everything. Not too dissimilar from Law.

Gura Gura no Mi - Permanent quakes. I’m assuming it’d work more like Logia for some reason.

Goro Goro no Mi - Electrical currents permanently running through the environment and storms.

Pika Pika no Mi - Everything shines brightly and is probably volatile.

Fujitora’s DF - Gravity is basically nonexistent where the ability is used.

Mero Mero no Mi - I’m going to go with my idea for the Hobi Hobi no Mi. The petrification is passed on even without the user being around.

Kidd’s Fruit - The entire environment can be magnetized.

Hawkin’s Fruit - Everything can be turned to straw and maybe he can create dolls from buildings.

Law’s Fruit - Pretty hard to imagine. Maybe Room doesn’t have to be centered around the user and it isn’t limited to one room.

Yami Yami no Mi - Kinda scary, but I imagine it’s just a permanent black hole that sucks in everything around it.
What about Moku Moku no Mi? Would he just turn everything into smoke? Because the ability to just make the ground disappear and reappear at will would suddenly make him very OP
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I thought it'd be funny if the Mero Mero no Mi could make the user lust after inanimate things (turning them to stone, like you said).
Didn't Hancock petrify and break Smoker's jutte? I don't know if her fruit is awakened but as long as she has physical contact she can already petrify innanimate things. I guess the next step is doing so from afar and perhaps with big AoE attacks.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What about Moku Moku no Mi? Would he just turn everything into smoke? Because the ability to just make the ground disappear and reappear at will would suddenly make him very OP
Good point.

Hmm, in this case, Smoker has been shown to control the density of his smoke, so, for the sake of convenience of his opponents, I'll say it manifest like that, making the environment more of a smokey swamp/quick sand situation rather than...nothing.

He might just be OP, lol.
 

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
Suna Suna I definitely think is awakened, because Crocodile technically was changing the weather of the whole of Alabasta, IIRC.
Agree. If the sign of an awakened Logia is a permanent change to the environment, when Crocodile sent a sandstorm to Yuba he said that when it grew bigger, not even he himself could stop it.

Also, I think all DF in possession of Straw Hats pirate is already awakened (sans Chopper who artificially awaken his DF with Rumble Ball):
Yes, I consider Luffy's Gear 2nd and 3rd as awakened already.
Robin can already make a full clone including clothes.
Brook's ability to channel the chill of death seems like awakening to me.

Speaking of clones, so far the only Paramecia shown to be capable of making clones (if I remember correctly) are Mr. 3, Robin, Doflamingo, and Cracker yet only Mr. 3's clone is unable to move or talk. So if Mr. 3 awakens his DF, will he be able to make multiple wax clone?
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Suna Suna I definitely think is awakened, because Crocodile technically was changing the weather of the whole of Alabasta, IIRC.
He changed the powder through "rain powder". Some special powder that, when burnt, its smoke moved the clouds in the sky making so it rains elsewhere. He was stealing the rain from Arabasta through technology, not through his DF.

Crocodile had the means to turn the landscape into sand by desiccating it but that was just part of his normal suna suna no mi abilities (by stealing moisture from it) as far as we know.

Crocodile, however, did comment how he despised people who were content with just having a DF and didn't train and explore ways to improve it, and in Impel Down he proved that he knew about awakenings, so he either has one or at least knows about them and was trying to achieve it. I think it's the second option. He may have it now after the TS.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think Big Mom, Crocodile, Akainu, and Aokiji are all awakened. In the case of the logia I think what some people have mentioned is dead on, with them being able to permanently change the environment to their element. Aokiji turned his half of Punk Hazzard to a frozen wasteland, and Akainu’s half being a volcanic wasteland. That is the only way to explain how there is a defined boundary, and how the weather hasn’t balanced. (On a side note, I think it’s possible that their duel was explicitly to push them to awakening their devil fruits, if a fight ever happened at all. Could have been them simply training on separate halves of Punk Hazzard..)

I believe Robins ability to grow whole clones of herself, a la shadow clone jutsu, is an effect of her awakening. And Choppers ‘Monster Point’ will be his awakened form when he can do it without a rumble ball. Luffy’s will likely be an ability to turn whatever he touches into rubber, like walls, buildings, the ground, etc..
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He changed the powder through "rain powder". Some special powder that, when burnt, its smoke moved the clouds in the sky making so it rains elsewhere. He was stealing the rain from Arabasta through technology, not through his DF.

Crocodile had the means to turn the landscape into sand by desiccating it but that was just part of his normal suna suna no mi abilities (by stealing moisture from it) as far as we know.

Crocodile, however, did comment how he despised people who were content with just having a DF and didn't train and explore ways to improve it, and in Impel Down he proved that he knew about awakenings, so he either has one or at least knows about them and was trying to achieve it. I think it's the second option. He may have it now after the TS.
I forgot about the rain powder. Been a long ass time since I watched or read Alabasta. I still think he has a lot of traits that seem pretty in line with Awakening. I remember it started raining right as he was defeated though. Ace also prevented it from snowing.

Do bricks actually have moisture in them? This kind of reminds me of Akainu giving some speech about magma being hotter than fire, which is very dependent on various factors and not some overarching statement that can be applied. I'm no civil engineer, but I know most of the time you want to keep moisture out of bricks and structures. It doesn't make sense that "removing the moisture" from a structure would turn it into sand when it has a completely different chemical structure, in particular. Plus, the way he used this power looks almost identical to how Doflamingo and Katakuri used their "awakening". It makes me feel like Oda just hadn't really fleshed out Awakening this early in the story; similar to Haki, but I actually read a good excuse on why we hadn't seen "armament hardening" before the timeskip - (it's totally fan made but kinda cool) - Luffy wasn't able to perceive or understand haki, so even when it was being used, he didn't realize it, and perceived it normally. After the timeskip, Luffy was a haki-user, and able to perceive it, so we can now see armament haki as well. Non-cannon, but still a cool way to think about it from the story-telling angle.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I forgot about the rain powder. Been a long ass time since I watched or read Alabasta. I still think he has a lot of traits that seem pretty in line with Awakening. I remember it started raining right as he was defeated though. Ace also prevented it from snowing.

Do bricks actually have moisture in them? This kind of reminds me of Akainu giving some speech about magma being hotter than fire, which is very dependent on various factors and not some overarching statement that can be applied. I'm no civil engineer, but I know most of the time you want to keep moisture out of bricks and structures. It doesn't make sense that "removing the moisture" from a structure would turn it into sand when it has a completely different chemical structure, in particular. Plus, the way he used this power looks almost identical to how Doflamingo and Katakuri used their "awakening". It makes me feel like Oda just hadn't really fleshed out Awakening this early in the story; similar to Haki, but I actually read a good excuse on why we hadn't seen "armament hardening" before the timeskip - (it's totally fan made but kinda cool) - Luffy wasn't able to perceive or understand haki, so even when it was being used, he didn't realize it, and perceived it normally. After the timeskip, Luffy was a haki-user, and able to perceive it, so we can now see armament haki as well. Non-cannon, but still a cool way to think about it from the story-telling angle.
I can't really comment on the logic behind Crocodile's ability because I'm no expert either, but that was the supposed explanation when he performed the technique. May be just an "Oda" kind of thing like the thing about Akainu that you mentioned.

It wasn't exactly like Doflamingo or Akainu, though. Every sand technique from Crocodile comes straight from his body; be it sand blades, the sand hurricane or the quicksand, it all came out of his hand, even when fighting on a desert he couldn't take control from the sand without direct contact. Katakuri and Doflamingo, on the other hand, were able to turn things into strings/mochi and then control it telekinetically.
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can't really comment on the logic behind Crocodile's ability because I'm no expert either, but that was the supposed explanation when he performed the technique. May be just an "Oda" kind of thing like the thing about Akainu that you mentioned.

It wasn't exactly like Doflamingo or Akainu, though. Every sand technique from Crocodile comes straight from his body; be it sand blades, the sand hurricane or the quicksand, it all came out of his hand, even when fighting on a desert he couldn't take control from the sand without direct contact. Katakuri and Doflamingo, on the other hand, were able to turn things into strings/mochi and then control it telekinetically.
Just reread chapter 212 too, which Hina asks smoker if he used the dance powder to cause it to rain, which he replied that he didn't. So there might be something with Crocodile preventing rain, whether it's awakening or not, he probably removes moisture to the extent that rain clouds don't form (as a self defense mechanism, since rain would make him useless).
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Just reread chapter 212 too, which Hina asks smoker if he used the dance powder to cause it to rain, which he replied that he didn't. So there might be something with Crocodile preventing rain, whether it's awakening or not, he probably removes moisture to the extent that rain clouds don't form (as a self defense mechanism, since rain would make him useless).
My opinion is that Smoker lied because he did something illegal and he doesn't want any merits from what happened at Arabasta. Similar to how he didn't want the praise for supposedly taking down Crocodile.

I do agree that Crocodile wants rain as far away from him as possible. I wish he didn't have such a huge weakness.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Just to clarify what I meant by something illegal:

Use of the rain powder was considered illegal even before Crocodile started using it in secret. Smoker (presumably) used it to stop the war, but it's still an unlawful thing to do.
 

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
I do agree that Crocodile wants rain as far away from him as possible. I wish he didn't have such a huge weakness.
But that's what makes pre-TS One Piece interesting. We must figure out what the enemy's weakness is. Nowadays it's just "train your haki until it gets stronger than his".
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
But that's what makes pre-TS One Piece interesting. We must figure out what the enemy's weakness is. Nowadays it's just "train your haki until it gets stronger than his".
True enough, I did like it back then.

I also guess that now, through haki, Crocodile could overcome his weakness.
 

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
The confirmed awakened Paramecia DF are both DF that provide their users with the ability to produce matter (Doflamingo, Katakuri). The DF users could both turn their environment into their DF matter and these technics were confirmed as awakened based.

Doflamingo and Cracker who are Paramecia Producers could both create and animate clones - there was no indication in the manga that these techniques were awakened powers but rather normal DF powers used by expert users in terms of matter production and matter controlling. Mr. 3´s ability to produce but not animate clones confirms to me these are DF techniques that are as advanced as their owners are in the use of normal DF powers.

Luffy’s Gears would fit in the same category of DF expert considering Luffy relies on his normal rubber body. I expect Luffy’s DF awakening to grant temporary rubber properties to inanimate things. Luffy would not turn his environment into rubber matter (he is not a Paramecia producer) but simply provide the same rubber body-like abilities to objects (stretching, bouncing, inflating) which will be used for offense and defense. Imagine a mountain stretched to block an attack, imagine a building used as a cannon, imagine a G4 building used for punching. Imagine Kaido’s Boro Breath bouncing on air or Kaido unable to move properly in a bouncing environment.

Regarding logias, Crocodile dryness power relies on his DF ability to absorb moisture and it works both on objects and living beings which is not the case for Katakuri and Doflamingo’s powers. This is the same with Aokiji whose DF grants him the power to turn water into ice boths on objects and living beings. Both Crocodile and Aokiji techniques rely on the target’s water and they do not change the target’s elements proven by the fact that the targets could come back to their initial state with water and heat. Is this a logia DF awakening on living beings or rather normal DF powers from expert users? I would go with the latter based on Paramecia Producer awakening and considering the time needed for Crocodile to dry the moisture.

That being said, Crocodile could also have awakened DF powers in top of his dryness power. Did Crocodile show DF techniques that could turnt objects into sands and not only dry them? If the objects are fully made of stones or wood, it could be normal DF power to dry moisture and the objects break down. If the objects are also made of other elements such as metal and Crocodile could turn metal into sand, then these are DF awakened powers. In Impel Down the metal of the floor door did not turn into sand when Crocodile used his powers, and this was probably because he used a normal ability.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Kuma has already awakened his DF. His normal powers allow him to repel objects and do air cannons (tangible things) and his DF awakened powers allows him to repel intangible things such as fatigue and pain (remember Thriller Back) or emotions such as anger and sorrow. The man could be a doctor thanks to his awakening.

If Bonney’s ability to change the ages of other people are not her DF awakened powers (normal powers being able to change her own age) then her DF awakening would be to alter the age of objects.

Mr. 2 awakening would allow him to alter the body of other people if he touches them with his appropriate hand on their faces.

Mr. 1 and Jozy awakening would allow them to temporary change the environment in metal/diamond but the environment would keep its physical form (unlike Paramecia Producers like Doflamingo/Katakuri who permanently turn the environment into formless matter).

Urouge DF awakening would either enables him to increase the muscular mass of other people or increase his other non-muscular tissues (organs, fat, bones) to get better physical abilities (quick digestion, improved sight etc...) i.e. basically cell adjustments in all his body.
 
Last edited:

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
Hawkins' DF looks like an awakened one to me. His basic power could be just to produce straw.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So I'm lurking on another forum, reading debates and whatnot, and someone pointed out that Cracker had been implied to have used awakening during his fight with Luffy.

So I went back to read the fight and, sure enough, after we returned Sanji's flashback, the ground in Seducing Woods matched the biscuit pattern of Cracker's soldiers and there was a biscuit "road" coming from it. Before the fight, the ground looked like a normal dirt road.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
So I'm lurking on another forum, reading debates and whatnot, and someone pointed out that Cracker had been implied to have used awakening during his fight with Luffy.

So I went back to read the fight and, sure enough, after we returned Sanji's flashback, the ground in Seducing Woods matched the biscuit pattern of Cracker's soldiers and there was a biscuit "road" coming from it. Before the fight, the ground looked like a normal dirt road.
I didn't notice that.

What of his powers would come from his awakening? Perhaps the ability to make the biscuit soldiers appear from the ground and/or controlling them like living beings?
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I didn't notice that.

What of his powers would come from his awakening? Perhaps the ability to make the biscuit soldiers appear from the ground and/or controlling them like living beings?
Probably. His ability to make such copious amounts of cookie says a lot too. (Biscuit is a term that is replaced by ‘cookie’ in the USA)
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Luffy mentioned Katakuri did the same as Doflamingo. If Cracker ability was awakaned, Luffy would have noted it too.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Luffy mentioned Katakuri did the same as Doflamingo. If Cracker ability was awakaned, Luffy would have noted it too.
If Luffy had seen the ground before and after, perhaps. But other than when it’s directly applicable to the story, Luffy isn’t the best at making sense of things...
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
If the series was 100% realistic, Luffy's judgement shouldn't be trusted... but apparently he can tell what is and what is not awakening just by looking.
 

catagon87

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
3,514
Reaction score
6,055
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If the series was 100% realistic, Luffy's judgement shouldn't be trusted... but apparently he can tell what is and what is not awakening just by looking.
With only two paramecia to go off of I doubt he has a knack for it.
There's a lot of paramecia that veer outside of the scope of "changing the environment", or at least that would be a weird way to awaken.

Like, does Moria change the environment into shadows? How does Vander Decken's work? Or Kanjuro? Pica's fruit literally lets him become a golem and control the whole environment anyways, so what's his awakening?

I'm thinking paramecia have more than one way of showing 'awakening'. Luffy's is likely turning the environment to rubber, because that's an easy one. Some of the ones I listed are a bit harder to imagine.
 
Top