Shounen - Bakuman by Ohba Tsugumi and Obata Takeshi | Page 53 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Bakuman by Ohba Tsugumi and Obata Takeshi

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: [FINAL] Bakuman 176 Discussion

It was a wonderful, wonderful ending. That kiss was great. Maybe there could've been another chapter or two, but I'm happy with how it ended.

I hope Ohba/Obata's next manga will be as good.

perroloco

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico

-First the CP was gorgeous, lovely.
-Like your typical JUMP ending.. You just saw it coming and at the same time didn't saw it coming.. Kinda like a slap in the face.
I dunno why but I really, really felt like crying at the ending, it was such a powerful and beautiful ending to a series I have been reading for like 4 years in a weekly basis.
-REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY hope an omake chapter is released in the tankoubon, IMO we need to see more of the other character's reactions and whatnot.

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum

Man I still don't know how I feel about this, I liked it but at the same time I wanted more I wanted their marriage to be held together with Hiranmaru's and Aoki's :crying

Goodbye Bakuman, Goodbye lovable cast :crying

suicune123

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I read everyone's comments before I decided to post mine. And before I state my view on the chapter, let me tell you that I voted "Good. I am satisfied" on the polls, because that is exactly how I feel. When the spoilers came out and the rumour mills began spinning out stuff that this could actually be the last chapter, I was furious. How can O&O wrap up the story so quickly, in 19 pages? Impossible! And if so, surely they can't squeeze everything in, surely it must be a double issue! What made me more frustrated was when the colour page leaked, I just knew that would be the only part of the wedding we will ever see.

And so I waited for the chapter to be released. Smiling in angst. Turns out, I ended up loving the way it ended.

What made me happy was the fact that the ending had everything it needed, yes it was minimal and us die hard fans wanted more, but I think it's great that not everything was shown and it wasn't over the top and blown out. It was simple and sweet. When they started reminiscing about the first time they met, from the memories they had together from the past 10 years, I started to tear up. This is exactly what I wanted to see, not a full wedding ceremony filled with cheesy romance (okay many of you would be thinking sports car! 'Are you joking me, how is that not cheesy?' but I think up until now, their romance missed that element and putting it in at the end was just right, and besides after not seeing each other for so long, why not splurge on your girl? lol), but Azuki and Mashiro are different, they're much more than that superficial stuff we see on TV these days, there love was so pure that at times I wish real life could be like that, all I wanted to see and all that was needed was the proposal and the kiss, and O&O handled it spectacularly. It's as if O&O sowed the seeds and it's up to us to see how the plant will grow, O&O has left it to fans to decide what future the couple will have and I think that's exactly how it should be like. Reading comments like how the manga itself was about the 'manga first and romance second', is just a matter of opinion really, I always think both go hand in hand, the manga was to fulfil a dream, to marry Azuki, and as the title of the last chapter suggests, this dream has become a reality. And it's these different opinions that we share, that O&O may have left the ending so open, open to questions, theories and thoughts on the future.

I think a lot of us forgot about Mashiro's uncle (and I thank this chapter for linking it back to him), it was his dream to marry Azuki's mom, but that never came to be. The fact that however many years later, his nephew is fulfilling that dream by marrying Azuki, it only makes me more emotional inside. Yes the ending will leave many fans divided, many of you will feel that we at least deserved a wedding ceremony, but do we really? Wasn't it the proposal everyone wanted to see and the dream becoming a fruition, a wedding would just be a bonus, and an unneeded one. I don't know, maybe I'm digging my head in the sand and denying it, but honestly, I really found the ending befitting of this whole epic story thats lasted 4 years of my life. When Azuki ends the manga with the last words "From now on, we can always be by each others side", I was floored, that was so emotional I can't begin to say how perfectly executed that was. The whole getting the car to pick her up, going to her old house to where they first spoke to each other, and then the proposal and kiss, what an ending to an amazing story. I'm so sad to see it end! It's good to see that the manga hadn't lost its charm even in it's final chapter, the bit where they were embarrassed to speak to each other and how Mashiro say's he's 24 now, just, made me smile inside. I love it.

I would've love to have seen all four of the gang together for a final shot, and maybe something about forgotten Nakai for comic relief! But to me, the conclusion satisfied me enough to finally say…

Thank you Bakuman.

Still a better ending than Mass Effect 3... :P
Damn right!

protomelvin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I really liked the ending, but I wasn't blown away by it. I have a feeling, though, that if you read Bakuman from start to finish, it'll read a lot better and more intense.
Which is what I plan to do in the coming days so I hope that I'll be blown away by the ending XDD

YukirinFan

Reaction score
Country
United States

Haha it's convenient Miho's family still owns that house... XD

This manga... I can't believe it spanned 10 years in the story... Times goes so fast, and yet the story is packed with a lot of things...

I guess somehow I don't see it as 10 years since the real life time was a lot shorter... As opposed to other manga I read like, say, Bleach, for example, before the time skip recently it was taking place over just a few months... Aside from that and Naruto I really don't read much Jump manga aside from Bakuman. But out of the many series I've read overall it amazes me how the time passed in the universe of the story. It's like time sped by, but the chapters were always so content-heavy (for the most part) that I feel like I experience just as much, even though time flows so much faster than pretty much anything else I've read.

Come to think of it... The characters. They've matured but they all really look more or less the same... XD Except for some minor characters, of course. lol But the main ones still look the same... XD

Now as for the ending itself... It was "satisfying" to see their dream come true. (Well kinda, no actual wedding coverage, but maybe there will be a special in the last volume or something...?) But at the same time I wish there was a little more... But I understand why there isn't.

Endings are always tough though. For long running series especially - and this isn't just manga, but anything that continues for a long time - when it finally ends... It's hard to fully grasp that it's over... And it's also probably hard to have a perfect ending. *cough*Reversi*cough*

But I think for what it's worth, this ending fits. I definitely would like to see some extras though.

I want to read this through all at once as well. I'm collecting all the volumes, but only half of them are out in America so far, so it could be a while... (Yeah I know I can read online but I'm already collecting the volumes anyway, so. XD) But yeah, especially for a series with a lot of cliffhangers (which actually is probably most series, not just this) it's good to read it all at once. (Actually, I've been doing that with Bleach as well.) I feel like especially with the short chapters of Jump manga, it's important to be able to get the whole story (or at least a volume's worth) at once, for a change. From week to week, it's like, "ughhh another cliffhanger?" or "this event has been going on for the past 10 chapters!!" and when reading all at once you can appreciate it more as a story as a whole.

I said it before but I really really really hope this pair will work together on manga again. Death Note and Bakuman were two very different stories (with very different ends as well) but I feel like both were really enjoyable and well done. (Although typically I prefer Ohba's subject matter and writing style over mainstream Jump battle manga anyway...) But still, this became pretty popular anyway. I don't know what could possibly top this though... I mean, it was really quite insightful and educating about how the manga industry works... Even if things are a bit exaggerated at times. XD And Bakuman couldn't have been created by one person... I mean technically it could have, but to me, it means more knowing that 2 people created this piece about 2 people who create manga. XD

Sorry I write so much in my posts... >.< I guess I just have a lot to say... I'm sure we all do though. XD

Ramstain

Reaction score
Country
Australia

Fastest Bakuman translation ever? (pretty sure it scores way higher than B,N,OP for me this week, and for the last month or so...)

I knew it was coming, but this chapter actually brought tears to my eyes when I first read it.

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh man...I can't believe it's over. All the memorable characters along with the trials everyone had to go through over the years that passed within the manga...what a ride this one was.

OtakuModeEngage

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Honestly, before I had read this last chapter, I was hoping for a wedding so hard, I had thought there just had to be one for the last chapter to close properly and be any good. But now that I think about it, weddings are long and boring, the only captivating part is when they say their vows and kiss; so other than that, and perhaps speeches by friends and family members, there would be nothing to write or drawl about. You could only spend one chapter at the most on a wedding or it would be dragged to shame. But well, after reading this chapter, I feel the wedding isn't necessary; we all know its going to happen, and that they'll live, die, and grow old together, possibly even having children, so we don't need to see any of it, its enough to know it will happen. Yes, I had hoped for a date, I had hoped for a wedding, but beyond that, I had hoped for a amazing and quality ending. This quality ending is what I felt most important, what I truly desired the most, and I had only assumed that a wedding was necessary to achieve it.

But it wasn't. This chapter is filled with endless memories of all the romantic moments in Bakuman, drawing out my emotions as a reader; it has parallel structure to chapter one, and how he used their promise and first words as a proposal was incredibly romantic. I was thoroughly impressed by the atmosphere between them, because to be honest, I was worried right along with Azuki when I saw Mashiro had bought a Furrari, and I was just as relieved when I learned he did it to accomplish his uncle's dream. The fact that after all this time, they haven't changed and are still perfect for each other was one of my biggest concerns regarding the ending; that perhaps after all this time, when they finally got together things wouldn't work out. But this chapter successfully reassured me! The silent moments and stuttered words, their shyness, it was perfect for a couple that has never really gone on a date before. And then the proposal and kiss scene was so beautiful!!! I'm going to cry.

Last edited:

HumanRage

Reaction score
Country
France

looks like mizuki isn't as hot as her mother, but more than cute enough

was an excellent reading for all these 3 years, banzai ashirogi muto !

OtakuModeEngage

Reaction score
Country
United States

I have one last thing to say, "Bakuman, I love you! Goodbye."

natli

Reaction score
Country
Poland

;.; ;.; ;.;

Don't you love mangakas that know how to end their manga?

Kaidou

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Bakuman 175 Discussion / 176 Predictions

That's just too sudden. I mean...I wrote months ago, that it should end in March or at least april but this is just too unexpected! I have to consume my feelings before I can make any rational statement...

DoctorApollo

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Israel

looks like mizuki isn't as hot as her mother, but more than cute enough

was an excellent reading for all these 3 years, banzai ashirogi muto !
176 chapters and you still don't remember the name of the heroine.

I think that just goes to show how little she had to do with the plot. Or how bad your memory is. Either one.

evaJ

Reaction score
Country
Aruba

Somehow it felt a little rushed (although this has been a long time coming). What I mean is that they tried to wrap everything up really fast (the chapters leading up to this). And yes, I would have liked more. But the ending itself is fitting and it was nice (voted good and satisfied).

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States

I voted Average because I felt that while the ending was good. It did not conclude correctly. Takagi missing from the last moments of the manga was a mistake IMO. This whole manga was about Mashiro and Takagi working together to make Manga. So if half of the team was missing, it just leaves a bad image in my mind.

Still the ending fit Bakuman even if I'm sad about Takagi getting shafted to the side. Overall a amazing slice of life manga which I normally don't read but Bakuman has changed my mind.

sakura_fai

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I kinda expected a wedding...but it fits, the ending is simple and clean (though a little rushed, just a bit, i thought they would play it out with two chapters instead of one..). And it ends on the note that their dreams came true. After all, the dream was to have them marry one another and that's what's going to happen anyways, so this ending was perfect, but since I'm greedy and wanted a wedding, I vote it average. :P

Will they make an extra or something? Like a bonus in the volumes maybe? Mangakas tend to do that..

yukilove21

Reaction score
Country
United States

i AM TEARING MY HEART OUT AND THROWING IT ON THE FLOOR.
I HAVE TOO MANY FEELINGS FOR THIS MANGA

Cancel

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I wanted 5 more pages. Even if they were just padding to add more tension to the final moment, I still wanted 5 more pages.

xdanx

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

I really love their works, but I have to say it, the way they end their mangas suck :/ happened to DN, happened tu Bakuman, to be frank, I loved this manga, and I'm extremely disappointed with this sudden way to end it. They should AT THE VERY LEAST have shown some of the things that actually happened after that, the last scene was cute, but the kiss was kinda not good enough.