Year Round Basketball Thread + NBA Fantasy League

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,843
Reaction score
16,825
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Seems this post is pinned so here are the 2025/26 award predictions that I've received so far! If you haven't sent already then feel free to shoot me your list!

 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

Heh, AK47 really got posterized.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

wikipedia said:
In game three of the second round in the 2006-07 playoffs, Kidd recorded his 11th postseason triple-double with 23 points, 14 assists and 13 rebounds, breaking the tie with Larry Bird for second place on the All-Time career list
Wow.. wish I could have seen the game, that is insane.. he beat Larry Bird's record..
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

There is a resurgence in the point guard position in the NBA.

In the playoffs, we've got Kidd, Nash, Baron Davis, Chauncey Billups, Deron Williams, SmushTony Parker, and Kirk Heinrick (even though they're likely to be eliminated).

And there's also other PGs outside the playoffs, i.e. Chris Paul, Jason Terry (they're out now), argghh...help me out, there's more, anyway, you get the idea..

about Kidd, isn't that amazing? I love that guy, I am still angry that the Jason Kidd rumor trade deal with the Lakers did not materialize..
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

the lakers' owners are freaking rich arent they? they could get pippen next season, and jermaine oneal says if gets traded it'd be the lakers or the knick (isiah thomas). what if they get kidd? oh man they're like videogame GMs. hope it's not gonna be a disaster again, like that malone payton oneal bryant team... shamed by detroit... SHAMED
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

well, I'm not exactly sure how player acquisition works in the NBA, but my friend was telling me that unlike baseball, where you can go over the salary cap as long as the team can afford it (but you have to pay additional "luxury tax"), in NBA, there is in fact a salary cap. In other words, there is a limit, I guess to prevent wealthy teams from assembling an ALL Star roster.

I'm sure Venom can elaborate further.



<<<<<<<<<<<

For more on salary caps, in general, and for all major sports, check Wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

There's also a section about "luxury tax", i.e. in MLB (did you know that currently, the Yankees have A Rod, Giambi, Jeter, Clemens --> four of these players are in the top 5 most paid players in baseball!!!!????)

<<<<<<<<<<<



That's why when the Lakers acquired Malone and Payton, they both sacrificed huge sums of salary, just so they can play with Shaq and Kobe. Otherwise they would have exceeded the salary cap which is unacceptable in the NBA.

One of the main reasons that Laker team collapsed in that playoffs, if you remember, was because of Kobe's Colorado trial, which affected the whole team's chemistry. It wasn't obvious during the regular season, but once the playoffs got rolling, it resurfaced. Basically there was too much drama within that team, in addition to Kobe's law troubles, that they pretty much fell apart. Plus, the media was all over them, the expectations were too high, and as a result, Malone and Payton got affected psychologically....they weren't, afterall, used to this new Hollywood lifestyle.

And you just had to give Detroit some credit, they played well as a team, and the Laker's lack of teamwork was exposed during that Finals. Had there been team chemistry all along, and Kobe having not gotten into trouble, we would have seen a completely different Lakers team.

Lesson learned: too many Hall of famers in one team = trouble. Egos will collide.

I wouldn't mind J O'Neal going to the Lakers, he'll definitely help Lakers esatblish the defensive mindset. There's been rumors that Pippen would like to return, and is interested in the Lakers, and will agree to a limited role, i.e. 15 minutes playing time...at the same time, he isn't asking for a big salary.

And from my understanding, Garnett's contract with the Wolves will expire by the end of next season. If there is no positive changes in Minnesota, he has expressed a desire to play for the Lakers.

Lakers need to get rid of everyone, but keep Odom as long as possible...Kobe is getting older, he's already peaked, it's time to put real players around him...because that'll be such a waste if he doesn't get it. If only Jerry West was still the GM, too bad. I'm just glad Phil Jackson is still coaching, otherwise the Lakers would be garbage.
 
Last edited:

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

grats on not being blown out bulls
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

Well, amazingly enough, we decided to get up off the mat, and for one game at least show we have some pride and interest in winning. Sadly, I think we earned a stay of execution at best. I'm not saying we can't win again and take it back to Chicago, but damn, we're going to really have to play well like we did again. Even still, no NBA team has ever come back down 3-0. Of course no MLB team had done that either until a few years ago. Obviously it CAN happen, and at some point it WILL happen, but I just don't think it'll be us, but who knows. Sucky enough, it's on Tuesday night, and I have a game Tuesday night, which means I will miss most of what could be our last game of the year.

As far as the cap is concerned yes there is a cap, and it's pretty much a hard cap. The only exception is "The Larry Bird Exception" or something like that. Basically you can sign a player for... 5 million I think and it doesn't count against the cap. Other than that you have to stick to the cap. I am not sure what the number is.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

ah man im giving the bulls more credit... to me the only reason they lost is losing their grip on things... they can make a big lead and they'd better make sure to hold it tight... altho all this happened on homecourt, next game's on detroit so er, looking grim

man what's up with GS... what's more, what's up with utah?? the jazz are freaking strong, it's like they were just sving up all these years to make all players healthy and bam!
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

I used to be a spurs fan..

Now unfortunately I have seen what Stoudemire means though.. I now hate the Spurs, dirty friggin team.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

the hell the spurs doin with nash??? they're killing him! wtf was that horry foul about?? fcking dirty man
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

And 90 percent of those fouls are flagrant, and obvious I don't see how they don't call them.

Wtf was up with those fouls in game 3 that they kept ignoring?
I swear some fishy shit is going on in the NBA
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

The way the Spurs are "playing defense" on Nash is ridiculous, and this kind of crap can not be tolerated. I never would have considered the Spurs a dirty team before, but it's pretty obvious they're trying to take him out.


IT'S NOT OVER YET!!!

Where the hell was this the first two games of this series? We played fantastic tonight! I can't say enough about our defense, and I love how we really took the ball to the basket on offense. We forced Detroit to match our style of play instead of the other way around for once.

Ben Gordon finally really showed up, and played to the best of his ability. Ben Wallace didn't get many stats, but he still played pretty well overall.

I'm not scared to say it. I say we're going to win Thursday and force game 7.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

they play dirty, but amare and diaw got kicked out. and horry was the only one kicked out. that's unfair. damn man. read this:

In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

Yea, I heard about that...

Let me say, this "rule" is ridiculous, David Stern, and Stu Jackson have DRAMATICALLY affected this series in a negative way. Neither player did anything wrong, and don't give me this "law is the law" crap or anything else. If you got pulled over for not using a signal while switching lanes, you'd be pissed because it's just stupid.

Thanks a lot Stern and Jackson, you really f'ed this up! :(
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

I guess that's why his name is Stern ;)

I agree, Stern is an idiot, and after this incident, it's pretty self explanatory. They ought to have seat belts then.

As much as I dislike the Suns, I feel bad for them. If I was Popovich, I would have sat Duncan to maintain some degree of fairness.

What sucks is, the Suns allowed game 5 to slip away...they had it. and they blew it. Let's just hope the series continues to be exciting, and extend to 7 games.

I'm still rooting for the Spurs though.




Hey, congrats to the Bulls for hanging tough. They played hard, and this will be a great building experience for them, especially while being such a young team.

And wtf happened to GS? they lost their mojo..meh, I guess this whole "speed is the new fad" thing was overhyped. It seems that so far, defense is not yet obsolete as we thought they were.

I hope New Jersey puts up a good fight, and eventually win against LeBron. Kidd is playing too well and he deserves to advance to the next round, at least.
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

i feel bad. but wtf, suns all the way!

btw if suns win, they were screwed by utah all season, but the spurs didnt, so if the suns win, they lose next round, i dont know man, all my teams are went down.....
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

Yea it definately looks like the sports analysts were wrong, speed isn't the new fad =/ Guess it's my own fault for believing them.

Defense is definately still important, I think this championship will come down to Spurs and Detroit, as much as I'd love for the suns to win one.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

why do i feel suns-spurs should have a rematch

shit wtf wit's VC. he's lost the passion. he's too unsatisfied with the teams he's been with. i think the only team he's going to be happy is with houston. they say orlando is a good candidate for him (since dwight is not that much and hill is out, salary cap will fit, and with a good supporting cast)


hey portland gets the number one pick! i'm pretty sure they'd pick kevin durant, as they most certainly dont want oden and zach randolph to clash... plus they need more scorers, defense is no prob for the blazers.... i guess they're gonna be big
 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

They'll take Oden, they'd be stupid not too....
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

scored 29 of the last 30 points of cleveland. that's it, lebron is undoubtedly, at four years in the league, the number one basketball player today
 
Top