Beach Volleyball Tournament - Nakagauchi/Tooyama vs Hara/Amane | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Beach Volleyball Tournament - Nakagauchi/Tooyama vs Hara/Amane

Nakagauchi/Tooyama vs Hara/Amane

• Nakagauchi/Tooyama

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Hara/Amane

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Round 1
-
Nakagauchi/Tooyama vs Hara/Amane

Hara serves first.

Please make sure you've read the rules before posting.

This round ends in 48 hours, on Saturday, September 6 at 12 PM GMT.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I fear this may turn into a cruelly straightforward match.

Tooyama who offensively is just an amazing player. He can now drop shot effectively, or rather tip shot in the case of volley ball.

In addition to Nakagauchi who specializes in pin point returns, if he is receiving whilst Tooyama is attacking, I really don't see anything Hara/Amane's repertoire to really reply to this.
Going by stats, should Amane even be able to receive the Super Megaton Volcano serve? Since you keep serving until you lose the point instead of turn taking like in tennis, Amane would end up as a given the moment Tooyama has his serve.

Tooyama could maybe even solo this.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Ok so, let's see. Kintarou / Nakagauchi seem to be a perfect pair for this. Kintarou could cover a lot of space in the court (...or wtv, I'm too lazy to check how it's called) with his ¨clones¨ and his ability to return 10 bao, Nakagauchi (with his amazing precision) would be an amazing setter (and his 187 cms tall should make him pretty good blocking at the net), and Kintarou with his jumps and his great power (not to mention, his Super wbahjfasf Smash). Both of them should also have the advantage in long matches against most pairs. Sounds like an easy match for them, right?

Wrong.

Against them is Amane, who doesn't have his long racket any more, but considering he's 180 cms tall and he's used to do it, he should still block a lot of shots. Let's also mention that he did a 1 handed volley against Momo's JK and Kawamura's Hadou back in Kanto, so he clearly can resist a lot of power (he surely has improved a lot since then). Kintarou's Super Smash might be still a lot for him tho, but I'm pretty sure he won't be overwhelmed by his normal smashes.

His partner is Hara, who may lack in speed in order to defend his opponent's shots, but his high mental should make him adapt to any shot the other pair has except... Kintarou's signature Smash. Hara also has his own signature smash, the Moukohan, which should be pretty hard to return (although, even if it connects several times into his opponents bodies, it'll never KO the likes of Nakagauchi or Kintarou). With high power and stamina, he won't have any trouble playing long matches.

But wait, this isn't all, I still haven't mentioned this pair's biggest quality: the puns.

Amane is known to be constantly saying puns (hell, his special move is Pun Destroyer or something like that), almost 80 in a single day, and if Bane isn't there to hit him and stop him, I would expect this number to be way bigger. Hara is an even better comedian, and he can fit the role of the Tsukkomi a lot better than Kurobane (considering he won't hit David, he'll just counter attack with another pun). This pair's puns are not to be underestimated, and someone as cheerful and absent minded as Kintarou might be their perfect target, the puns might be too much for him (let's also remember that he completely lacks doubles discipline and might not even understand how volleyball works and what a setter is). I doubt he'll be able to defend properly or hit his signature serve/smash if puns are involved. Kintarou shouldn't even be able to pun pin the ball properly.

Also, let's remember that this is beach volleyball, and that means that Hara will play shirtless. That, in my opinion, gives this pair the edge over their opponent. Hara/Amane win this.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Kintarou serve should be near unbreakable. He now have that Delicious Storm move as his serve. And serve keeps going until they lose point in volleyball.

Nakagauchi should stand in and tank all shots with his butt that Hara throw at him. And he's a robot, she it shouldn't affect him much, although not something I admittedly want to see.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hardy pretty much nailed the central point of this match-up. Looking at abilities, Nakagauchi and Kintarou most certainly win, however Kintarou is a clown, so I could see him being easily affected by the comedy duo which would take him out of the match. A factor I'm unsure about is how he'd react once he realizes that he has to drink Inui's juice if he loses, that might snap him out of any laughing fits?

Another point that hasn't been brought up yet though, I believe, is Nakagauchi's ability to aim for the net. Once he gets to serve that might make it difficult to break back. That's mostly going off the Echizen/Aoi vs Kikumaru/Itsuki match though, I don't know how effective that aim would be in reality.

Overall, I'm not quite sure yet who I'd give the edge here, so I'll get back to this later on.

Philia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I was going to vote for Nakagauchi/Tooyama pair.
Changed my mind after reading Hardy's post.
Amane/Hara should take this.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Well, let's say Hardy post also change my mind. Those explanation are awesome XD.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
A factor I'm unsure about is how he'd react once he realizes that he has to drink Inui's juice if he loses, that might snap him out of any laughing fits?
I thought about this actually. Even though Kintarou was part of Prince of Yakiniku, I don't think he'll realise how bad this drink is unless someone tells him before the match. As this is the first encounter of the tournament (so no one really knows how strong the juice is), I decided to ignore it.

Another point that hasn't been brought up yet though, I believe, is Nakagauchi's ability to aim for the net. Once he gets to serve that might make it difficult to break back. That's mostly going off the Echizen/Aoi vs Kikumaru/Itsuki match though, I don't know how effective that aim would be in reality.
I thought about this too. David is used to play at the net (so his reflexes should be pretty good), and his height + his playstyle should give him a pretty good reach, net balls shouldn't be a huge deal for him. Even if the combo of corner shots + net balls might confuse him, I think that Hara (with his high mental) should adapt to both shots easily and command David to do the same.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ah, fair enough about the second point. However about the first one, wasn't he pretty scared of it as soon as the first person dropped out? It's true that no one knows how effective this juice is, but it usually has a lasting effect on the victims and Kintarou's imagination runs wild easily. Then again, I guess the juice names tend to be somewhat deceptive, so while we already know what it is, the players might not be aware of the true name just yet.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Ah, fair enough about the second point. However about the first one, wasn't he pretty scared of it as soon as the first person dropped out? It's true that no one knows how effective this juice is, but it usually has a lasting effect on the victims and Kintarou's imagination runs wild easily. Then again, I guess the juice names tend to be somewhat deceptive, so while we already know what it is, the players might not be aware of the true name just yet.
Dammit you're making me read that chapter twice in 2 days.

Well, before people started leaving, Kintarou thought it looked delicious and wanted to drink it himself, then shit happenned and he said ¨I don't want it anymore, you drink it Kenya D: ¨...he isn't shown reacting to any other drink in the entire chapter, so I guess it wasn't a huge deal for him.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Regardless of how hilarious Hara is, Hara was able to leave Hakamada in a bloodied and unable to walk state. He freaking carried Hakamada.
If we're really carrying abilities over then Kintaro's freakish power should be carried too.
What good is height if Kintaro can leap to the height of buildings?

Nakagauchi doesn't miss and the stat total match-up here is totally in Nakagauchi/Tooyama's favour. Kintaro will probably find his fellow Shitenhouji player Hara extremely hilarious but is it really as easy as you think it is to distract Kintaro when he's in the middle of his Super Megaton Tornado thing?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
but is it really as easy as you think it is to distract Kintaro when he's in the middle of his Super Megaton Tornado thing?
Remember the first Another Story OVA? If you believe that, it is.