Mag Talk Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Country
United States
I haven't checked out this magazine too much since Rough Sketch Senpai and Aho Girl ended, but after taking a peek at this issue, I'm happy to see that there's still some interesting series going on in here. I looked through and caught up on what looked interesting. A couple of these I had already started previously, but forgot they came from this magazine
  • Araburu Kisetsu no Otomedomo yo seems pretty good so far although I just picked it up yesterday. Glad that it doesn't seem to dance around those awkward teenage issues and questions regarding sex and growing up
  • Boku no Kanojo wa Saikou desu! was also been pretty funny. I like that it's based off of real stories as well.
  • Sekai ka Kanojo ka Erabenai has been alright so far, but rooting for childhood friends always makes me nervous lol.
  • Jun to Kaoru is really new, and I remember reading the web-comic version of it and thinking it was decent, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it get picked up by this magazine.
  • Tenju no Kuni I just started today, and the artwork is beautiful and the story's setting is really interesting.
  • Akazukin no Ookami Deshi is another one I just started today due to the cute wolf child and the interesting setting. I usually don't read things that have such an obvious tragedy foreshadowing as this, but the bond the 2 share is interesting. I'm just going to have to pray that the tragedy foretold is just misleading or my paranoia
  • Shouraiteki ni Shinde Kure lays it on a bit thick at times, but it can make me laugh sometimes if I'm looking for a shut-my-brain-totally-off type of humor. Best part is how expressive the characters are.
  • Kimi ga Shinu Natsu ni is another series from a genre that I wouldn't have ordinarily read, but it doesn't seem like it'll get gory and the romance seems like it'll stay a primary focus. This seems like it could be interesting
  • Flying Witch only appears every other month, so I briefly forgot it was in this magazine, but after watching the anime a few months ago, I immediately fell in love with it.
Although they're both untranslated and both just shorter gag comedies, both Chounouryoku Shoujo mo Te ni Oenai! and Tanzawa Sudachi ga Koko ni Iru both seem cute as well.
  • Chounouryoku Shoujo mo Te ni Oenai! is about a girl who realizes she has psychic powers and a weird but nice guy who thinks he has the powers
  • Tanzawa Sudachi ga Koko ni Iru is about an easily-embarrassed girl who can only communicate through raps.
  • Alicia-san no Diet Quest has a few chapters in Spanish, and they were decently good. I see this one mentioned on Bessatsu Shonen Magazine's Twitter a lot, so I guessing it must have a respectable degree of popularity with readers so far.
They're all really short, especially the first 2 gag comedies, so maybe someone will pick them up one day. I hope that Yankee series that had a special chapter this issue gets picked up for a full series. It looked really well-drawn, and the humor was exactly my type. I'll post a link to the author's Twitter below just so those who are curious can see.

MangAniMY

Country
Malaysia
Attack on Titan vol. 26 PV

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
If I am a higher up in Kodansha, I would try and move Vol 27 to November to try and fight it out with One Piece as the year top seller by series,

Aipom626

Country
United States
Hey, bit of a random question, but does anyone have the English TOCs for issues 7 and 8 of Bessatsu Shonen Magazine for 2018? I've been going through and updating my monthly spreadsheets while I have a moment of downtime, and noticed the place I usually go to didn't have either of those

MangAniMY

Country
Malaysia
Hey, bit of a random question, but does anyone have the English TOCs for issues 7 and 8 of Bessatsu Shonen Magazine for 2018? I've been going through and updating my monthly spreadsheets while I have a moment of downtime, and noticed the place I usually go to didn't have either of those
putting the raws here so anyone else can translate them

Aipom626

Country
United States
putting the raws here so anyone else can translate them

Thanks! I think I was able to piece most of it together. I assumed those series with red boxes around them got color pages, but I couldn't tell whether any of the series ended

Heiji

Country
Japan

Aipom626

Country
United States
Alicia-san no Diet Quest has begun being translated into English, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The characters are funny, art is cute, and the jokes are usually pretty funny. Unfortunately, it looks like Araburu Kisetsu no Otomedomo yo has been dropped by its translator. A bit of a shame because the art and story were both pretty cute. Likewise, Shouraiteki ni Shinde Kure hasn't been updated in 3 months, which doesn't fare well for its current translation status. I really love the art in this one, and while it has the shonen ai tag, I actually really like the interactions between the pervy girl and her' crush's younger brother best of all.

Looks like 2 new series are going to be starting up next issue. One looks like a crime detective series, and the other seems like a romcom involving high-tech science. While the first series doesn't really pique my interest, the promo image for the science one looks like it could be interesting.

Aipom626

Country
United States

Now on to a magazine where the TOC largely doesn't matter as much, given the ranking for Shingeki no Kyojin: Bessatsu Shonen Magazine! As a whole, it was an alright year for the magazine. Real Account returned from whence it came after vacationing near the bottom quarter of Weekly Shonen Magazine for awhile. Only 7 new series debuted during 2018, but 9 series concluded during the 2018 magazine run including 2 of my favorites: Aho Girl and the tragic axing of Kumanishi Bijutsubu Rough Sketch-senpai. Although that's a net loss for the year, the magazine overall still seems to be pretty healthy, as long as Attack on Titan is around.

Let's get to the stats! The most color pages given to a series in 2018 was 4 and that was given to Sekai ka Kanojo ka Erabenai, which seems like it has been gaining in popularity lately. This was able to beat out 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru and lovable comedy Boku no Kanojo wa Saikou desu!, which both had 3 color pages each. The series currently running in BSM must be suck-ups to the editors since 15 managed to have perfect attendance this year!: Shingeki no Kyojin, Arslan Senki, UQ Holder! -Mahou Sensei Negima! 2, Shougi no Watanabe-kun, Tomodachi Game, Happiness, 29-sai Dokushin Chuuken Boukensha no Nichijou, 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru, Shourai-teki ni Shindekure, Sekai ka Kanojo ka Erabenai, Boku no Kanojo wa Saikou desu!, Fate/Grand Order: Turas Réalta, Alicia-san no Diet Quest, Tenju no Kuni, and Akamatsu. *takes deep breath* The lowest standard deviation (lower = position in TOC changes less each issue; higher = position in TOC changes more each issue) goes to Tenju no Kuni in a positive way and Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e in a negative way. But considering how well-established series tend to rank low in BSM, I'd say consistently ranking low in this magazine doesn't really mean anything bad. The highest standard deviation goes to gag comedy Tanzawa Sudachi ga Koko ni Iru.

Looking ahead to 2019, I have heard that the ending for Shingeki no Kyojin has already been decided! I don't follow the series, but losing this will be a massive blow to BSM, being the equivalent of WSJ losing One Piece but not having anything nearly as successful to replace it with. I'm not sure how far off the ending is, but once it ends, things will be rough. We'll probably lose some of the smaller gag series that run in here, such as Tanzawa, but they will inevitably be replaced with another series of a similar genre and artistic quality. Besides that, perhaps some of the older series may be getting closer to winding down, but that's purely speculation on my part. I'm personally hoping that some of my favorite series continue to grow, especially Tenju no Kuni, Boku no Kanojo wa Saikou desu!, Shourai-teki ni Shindekure, Alicia-san no Diet Quest, and Akazukin no Ookami Deshi. I was pretty shocked to see Araburu Kisetsu no Otomedomo yo receiving an anime adaptation, but that's a pleasant surprise. Hopefully we'll see a Flying Witch season 2 in our near future, but again, that's just my hopes and dreams talking. Overall, I'm feeling optimistic for BSM's future in 2019 (Attack on Titan's continuing future aside!).

ruggia

Country
South Korea
FYI, it's most likely that Akazukin will end next issue (or maybe move to somewhere else).

Aipom626

Country
United States
FYI, it's most likely that Akazukin will end next issue (or maybe move to somewhere else).
Well that's a bit of a bummer. It was actually a pretty interesting story, despite the fact that it's not usually the type of thing that I tend to read. Hopefully it'll move somewhere else, but I guess that's probably pretty unlikely since I don't think its sales are amazing enough to warrant that sort of benefit of the doubt

ruggia

Country
South Korea
Akazukin no Ookamideshi's serialization on Bessatsu ended on this issue.

The author will be self-publishing future chapters/volumes to continue the story to completion.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Akazukin no Ookamideshi's serialization on Bessatsu ended on this issue.

The author will be self-publishing future chapters/volumes to continue the story to completion.

Well that's a bummer, but I'm pretty surprised to see the author continuing on and self-publishing. Is this as rare of an occurrence as I think it is?

Also, Alicia-san no Diet Quest is ending in the February issue. The series was pretty funny, so I'm also sad about that. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-06/alicia-diet-quest-manga-ends-in-january/.140452

Heiji

Country
Japan
Like Konjiki no Gash!!, Dôbutsu no Kuni will have deluxe digital edition with new covers, the prepublication color pages and small bonus chapters. First volumes scheduled for mid-July/early August.

Shinuki no Reborn

Country
Brazil
Wouldn't be a surprise if he returns to BSM with a new manga soon, after the fiasco with Vector Ball i think he's done with weekly serializations for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)