- Joined
- Jul 6, 2011
- Messages
- 15,405
- Reaction score
- 39,130
- Age
- 34
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Fujimi Lovers had color page or lead
I can vouch for how long it takes to translate Gintama. You never realize how long 19 (or well 17 now) pages can be until Sorachi gets his paws on them. That's why it essentially takes two translators (kewl and myself) to get through a Gintama chapter each week. Add in the fact that you have to pretty much research every other sentence in that manga and you've got a project that can take two to three days to fully complete...each week.The thing is I'm almost completely without any free time every week. On a weekly basis I work on the Toriko and Gintama manga (Translating Gintama takes all day or most of multiple days each week on its own. Toriko I'm translating and typesetting and that's usually all I can get done in a day) plus the Toriko anime and Kingdom anime. Also Billy Bat at the moment, which is going to go on hiatus in I think 2 weeks. I have like 5~ long-term project I work on when I'm not doing that. I've got 15 chapters left in Hito Hitori Futari to do which I'm trying to finish because that series is ended. Also Innocent Volume 2 just came out so I have that to do. Also I'm trying to do a back volume+1 chapter of Gintama for about a year now. The other projects I'm doing are 81 Diver (27 more volumes so far), 3-Gatsu no Lion (6 more volumes so far, and I need to somehow get the group back to being active), Omoni Naitemasu (9 volumes, same thing.) and the Jojo novels I'm kinda doing in my free time. And Wolfsmund (whenever) and Real (Next volume comes out in November). After that, there's doing HQ volumes of Gintama and Toriko we originally did as magazine issues and also Ring and Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi.
Primarily the problem with this project has been a lack/consistency of help. I have a big google doc spreadsheet denoting who did what and when, over a period of years so I don't lose track and so I can assign new people the next task quickly. And except for me and a cleaner that's done about 6 volumes and a couple other small exceptions, we've had a different person doing each task on each volume. Including checking/editing. So basically I need to go through it to find inconsistencies and trying to make the typesetting look remotely similar or at least all up to par. Making sure nothing's over or under leveled, etc. And I don't even really know how to clean. But I don't have anybody else to work on it, so I just need to make time.
Wow seeing kewl0210 and you say this about Gintama feels scary. I never tried looking at raws for Gintama but I feel I should even if only once to see just how much words it has (not that I'd understand though with my very low Japanese experience.)I can vouch for how long it takes to translate Gintama. You never realize how long 19 (or well 17 now) pages can be until Sorachi gets his paws on them. That's why it essentially takes two translators (kewl and myself) to get through a Gintama chapter each week. Add in the fact that you have to pretty much research every other sentence in that manga and you've got a project that can take two to three days to fully complete...each week.
Don't be fooled. Reading it is completely different than translating it. One might be fooled into thinking 'it's not that bad!' but it is. Trust me. If Sorachi weren't really good with dialog I'd run screaming from that manga every week. (I more whimper each week when I read through the raw pre-translation.)Wow seeing kewl0210 and you say this about Gintama feels scary. I never tried looking at raws for Gintama but I feel I should even if only once to see just how much words it has (not that I'd understand though with my very low Japanese experience.)

Seems like it, they are starting too much new series lately. However, success like SnK is very rare, is very hard to find. Isayama said that Shingeki is going to finish around volume 20, I really doubt about this, but it's better BSM have a success until there. It'll be a long search...I can sense that the editors for BSM (or Kodansha, itself) are really eager to find a next Shingeki no Kyojin.
Not because of new series, many BSM series released special chapter in WSM lightly. It is like WSM releasing the special chapter for BSM for every week.Seems like it, they are starting too much new series lately.
I see. Maybe they have this intention with so many special chapters, but I don't think that is has any big weight in the public...Not because of new series, many BSM series released special chapter in WSM lightly. It is like WSM releasing the special chapter for BSM for every week.
The main thing that triggered Shingeki no Kyojin became well known in the public is the special chapter which was released in WSM. After that, SnK's sale was boost into about current AC's current tank sale.I see. Maybe they have this intention with so many special chapters, but I don't think that is has any big weight in the public...