Mag Talk - Bessatsu Shonen Magazine | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Well, Shingeki is way more popular than Magi but the Magi anime is currently doing an anime only ending and I was under the impression it was quite popular. Personally I don't anime only endings if they are good.

Reactions: Nii

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, Shingeki is way more popular than Magi but the Magi anime is currently doing an anime only ending and I was under the impression it was quite popular. Personally I don't anime only endings if they are good.
My impression is pretty different compared to Kait's, I believe original anime endings are far from being extremely rare. Magi is a perfect example, Kotoura-san from this season had an original ending too. Last season we had Code:Breaker with an original ending, a season before we had Zetman... not to talk about other famous examples like Ao No Exorcist. From what I can tell, there wasn't any season in the last few years which didn't have at least one series with an original ending, probably more if I consider that I didn't even watch half of the seasons series. I guess popularity helps in maintaining the manga story, as the animation studio is aware they can milk more money out of it if they continue. Though a lot depends on what the studio has in mind and how much faith/interest it has in a certain series.

I'm with you Drmke, a good original ending isn't bad but what I dislike is that it destroys the possibility to continue beyond that point. If anything, one can only hope for a remake when you realize the story is going to have an anime original ending.

That being said, Production I.G.'s last adaption of a manga was Kuroko no Basket which had both high-class animation and was pretty faithful to the story. The director of the Shingeki no Kyojin anime was responsible for Death Note and Highschool of the Dead too, series which both took a few liberties here and there but in the end were faithful to the manga and it's ending. Not to forget that Shingeki already is pretty popular which definitely doesn't hurt. All the factors together make me believe that it probably won't have an original ending, though ofc you never know.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
What exactly do you all mean when you say "anime only ending"? Are you referring to something like the ending of the original Full Metal Alchemist anime (or Soul Eater)? Both anime had actual conclusions that deviated from the plot of the manga. Magi is not ending. At the end of episode 25 they announced that the second season will begin this October. I don't know how much they changed from the manga, but it can not have been that radical if they plan on continuing the anime. Code:Breaker has also continued, as an OVA series. If Shingeki is not popular enough, they won't animate everything until the end of the manga. That is common enough. Bleach, D. Gray Man, Reborn all were canceled before they could be completed. But an anime only ending, like the original Full Metal Alchemist, seems very unlikely.

Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
What exactly do you all mean when you say "anime only ending"? Are you referring to something like the ending of the original Full Metal Alchemist anime (or Soul Eater)? Both anime had actual conclusions that deviated from the plot of the manga. Magi is not ending. At the end of episode 25 they announced that the second season will begin this October. I don't know how much they changed from the manga, but it can not have been that radical if they plan on continuing the anime. Code:Breaker has also continued, as an OVA series. If Shingeki is not popular enough, they won't animate everything until the end of the manga. That is common enough. Bleach, D. Gray Man, Reborn all were canceled before they could be completed. But an anime only ending, like the original Full Metal Alchemist, seems very unlikely.
Oh, yes it was. Let´s just say that one of the three main characters deviated from his original character in a minor fashion for the majority of the series and majorly at the end of the series.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Will the second season, and all subsequent seasons be filler then, unrelated to the manga in anything except name? I have heard of very few adaptions that are word for word, 100% faithful to the source. Not just anime, but film and television as well. Whatever changes were made, the story did not end, and the series will continue.

Last edited:

susanoo13

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Although this is not the right thread for it I can say that the second season of Magi was stated in the trailer to be about the manga's following arc so no, it will not be a filler season yet as SnK has the series composition of the guy which did Shakugan no Shana and not the one most people feared from which coincidentially did Guilty Crown and Magi anime I do expect it to be true to the plot and also very well directed and not just amazingly animated.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's what I mean, yeah. Magi actually changed drastically, to a point where every fan screams how they can't understand they're seriously making a second season. No one expected that but I guess it did happen so yeah, I guess it doesn't qualify as an anime original ending, as they can indeed contuine the story, despite the changing a lot of things. The drastic changes were the reason why everyone expected an original ending but we were wrong on that part. Code Breaker OVA's are just made-up sidestories, no continuation. Zetman and Ao no Exorcist suffered the same fate. I'm not even trying to argue about it being unlikely that SnK will get an anime original ending, I agree with you there. The whole point is that I don't believe original anime endings are as rare as you think they are.

That's pretty offtopic though, so we should end the discussion here. There are plenty other places were we could continue the talk though~

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Oh, yay. Doubutsu no Kuni shares the cover with Shingeki no Kyojin. Too bad it doesn't share its success...

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I love Eren in Kyojin. hahaha

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Apparently Shingeki's anime fueled surge in popularity has even effected Betsumag's sales. Circulation rose by 30% in May. Since the anime began in April, copies in print of Shingeki have almost doubled. An additional 8.7 million copies have been printed since April.

ANN
source

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
ONE PIECE helped boost Jump's circulation, and perhaps Shingeki could be considered Bessatsu's ONE PIECE since it's doing the same job.

Shingeki was gradually building up to be well-known, and ever since the anime began, I felt like its popularity suddenly spiked up.

Samui

Reaction score
Country
Israel
So... when does Arakawa's new manga begin?

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
any news on KOKUZAWA Yousuke (Choujin Gakuen)

please I want to know. :)

Samui

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I was wondering, how much did Kyojin has affected the magazine's circulation over the years?

Also, is it possible that by changing the magazines each time, Arakawa wishes to improve the circulation of different manga magazines and perhaps try to help them catch up to say, Jump's success?

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Sunday sales have continuously dropped even after Silver Spoon starts being published. (>600000 in 2011, 502000 last trimester)

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I was wondering, how much did Kyojin has affected the magazine's circulation over the years?

Also, is it possible that by changing the magazines each time, Arakawa wishes to improve the circulation of different manga magazines and perhaps try to help them catch up to say, Jump's success?
As far as i know, it did not change much till the anime of SnK started. SnK was already a big success from the volume sales but it did not affect the circulation much. I recently read though (have to check that source again) that they are aiming to increase the circulation by 25%, probably because of the huge success SnK has become after the anime started and Arakawa´s new series.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I guess in the case of the reader is interested only in 1~2 series of the magazine, it would be much useful to buy the volume than buy the magazine every week/month. Thus, have a series with great popularity not always meaning a increases in the number of circulation.