Discussion Best Defense, Endurance, Durability - Finished

Should we include dead characters for Most Offensive Mages?


  • Total voters
    10
  • Poll closed .

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Honestly, in my opinion, determining who is the "tankiest" is a bit tricky right now - there are currently a lot of battles underway and it's difficult to analyze some of these characters' durability without seeing the results of their fights.

Similarly, some characters have not had their maximum durability tested yet in the current arc since there are plenty of hax magic spells being used by different casters. Durability is about how much damage a person can endure, but hax magic negates this feat because it instantly kills due to its properties/mechanics instead of inflicting pain or injury on the opponent.

Not to mention, we've only seen a good amount of feats from a select few of the characters during the 100 Years Quest Arc. For example, it wouldn't necessarily be a fair comparison if we were to compare Natsu/Laxus to Gildartz since Gildartz has been entirely absent from plot. Personally, I don't think that it's far-fetched to say that Gildartz is still tankier than the former two - it just so happens that he hasn't had the spotlight to prove it yet.

There is even a possibility that a mage like Elefseria might rank high in the durability/tankiest charts (since he is supposedly a veteran dragon slayer), but we just don't have enough feats currently to back that claim.



On a side note, I may be alone on this one, but I don't think the last few chapters really changed much of the rankings. Laxus and Erza have always been portrayed as powerhouses in the FT guild and their recent fight pretty much just proved what we already knew all along.

Their match only showed how they compared in relation to one another, but it doesn't really say much about how they would perform against other opponents (ex. Natsu/Gray/Gajeel). Their durability only looked high in that battle because both of them are on relatively similar levels in terms of power and endurance, but that's quite a narrow range to judge off of, in my opinion.



Nonetheless, I'd be interested to see how others rank the mages in a contest of who they would consider to be the tankiest.

I probably won't submit a ranking list of my own (due to too many unknown variables), but I'm open to discussion about different perspectives on the matter.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Honestly, in my opinion, determining who is the "tankiest" is a bit tricky right now - there are currently a lot of battles underway and it's difficult to analyze some of these characters' durability without seeing the results of their fights.

Similarly, some characters have not had their maximum durability tested yet in the current arc since there are plenty of hax magic spells being used by different casters. Durability is about how much damage a person can endure, but hax magic negates this feat because it instantly kills due to its properties/mechanics instead of inflicting pain or injury on the opponent.

Not to mention, we've only seen a good amount of feats from a select few of the characters during the 100 Years Quest Arc. For example, it wouldn't necessarily be a fair comparison if we were to compare Natsu/Laxus to Gildartz since Gildartz has been entirely absent from plot. Personally, I don't think that it's far-fetched to say that Gildartz is still tankier than the former two - it just so happens that he hasn't had the spotlight to prove it yet.

There is even a possibility that a mage like Elefseria might rank high in the durability/tankiest charts (since he is supposedly a veteran dragon slayer), but we just don't have enough feats currently to back that claim.



On a side note, I may be alone on this one, but I don't think the last few chapters really changed much of the rankings. Laxus and Erza have always been portrayed as powerhouses in the FT guild and their recent fight pretty much just proved what we already knew all along.

Their match only showed how they compared in relation to one another, but it doesn't really say much about how they would perform against other opponents (ex. Natsu/Gray/Gajeel). Their durability only looked high in that battle because both of them are on relatively similar levels in terms of power and endurance, but that's quite a narrow range to judge off of, in my opinion.



Nonetheless, I'd be interested to see how others rank the mages in a contest of who they would consider to be the tankiest.

I probably won't submit a ranking list of my own (due to too many unknown variables), but I'm open to discussion about different perspectives on the matter.
Laxus has always been a tank throughout the series and Erza has always had crazy endurance. So the fight just proves that they still are tanky and have crazy endurance.

Regarding this arc, Gray has been sidelined hardcore and his best feat was meh. Tbh he hasn't had the opportunity to shine this entire series so far like Natsu which is really sad. Same goes for Gajeel but hes more of a side character so it's kind of expected. Jellal tho...... Absolutely non existent so far lol

IMO: Laxus and Erza have always been ahead of Gray, Gajeel and Natsu and this fight justifies that
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Laxus has always been a tank throughout the series and Erza has always had crazy endurance. So the fight just proves that they still are tanky and have crazy endurance.

Regarding this arc, Gray has been sidelined hardcore and his best feat was meh. Tbh he hasn't had the opportunity to shine this entire series so far like Natsu which is really sad. Same goes for Gajeel but hes more of a side character so it's kind of expected. Jellal tho...... Absolutely non existent so far lol

Yeah, I personally think that the FT guild members have remained relatively stable in the rankings since Alvarez Arc, the only difference is that all of them have obviously grown stronger. The exception to this may be Natsu, who could possibly be leagues higher if we are counting his power after eating Ignia's flames.

The only question I have right now is how the new villains are ranked in comparison to the protagonists, but that really depends on their performances in the current battles.

It's also a shame that pretty much the entire FT guild has become side characters in the current arc except for Team Natsu, since Team Natsu is technically the only group signed up to take on the 100 Years Quest.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, I personally think that the FT guild members have remained relatively stable in the rankings since Alvarez Arc, the only difference is that all of them have obviously grown stronger. The exception to this may be Natsu, who could possibly be leagues higher if we are counting his power after eating Ignia's flames.

The only question I have right now is how the new villains are ranked in comparison to the protagonists, but that really depends on their performances in the current battles.

It's also a shame that pretty much all the FT guild members have become side characters in the current arc except for Team Natsu, since Team Natsu is technically the only group signed up to take on the 100 Years Quest.
Yea I agree. However I wouldn't take Ignias flames as a factor because it was temporary. If were talking DF Natsu then the only person I see possibly competing with that is Gildarts.

I don't like Kyria because her personality and her "hax isn't the best". Madmole is cool because he's a defensive monster and Skullion is clearly strong enough to take out Gray although I think Gray will get revenge. I could really care less about Nebal. Looking forward to seeing more DEs.

It's a shame that some of Team Natsu has been sidelined. Gray has been treated like fodder so far. Wendy is in a stalemate. Lucy had a small fight against Mira ans Elfman before being interrupted. This has been the Natsu and Erza show only lol.
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yea I agree. However I wouldn't take Ignias flames as a factor because it was temporary. If were talking DF Natsu then the only person I see possibly competing with that is Gildarts.

I don't like Kyria because her personality and her "hax isn't the best". Madmole is cool because he's a defensive monster and Skullion is clearly strong enough to take out Gray although I think Gray will get revenge. I could really care less about Nebal. Looking forward to seeing more DEs.

It's a shame that some of Team Natsu has been sidelined. Gray has been treated like fodder so far. Wendy is in a stalemate. Lucy had a small fight against Mira ans Elfman before being interrupted. This has been the Natsu and Erza show only lol.

My only concern is that Natsu will eventually have to face Ignia in his Dragon form, who seems to be considerably more stronger than Mercphobia. As we saw in the earlier chapters, pretty much everyone in Team Natsu was useless against Dragon Mercphobia.

The only person who was capable of dealing decent damage to Mercphobia was Ignia-Powered Natsu, which combined with DF, should theoretically allow Natsu to compete on the likes of the Dragon Gods.

If Natsu can't activate the transformation that he used against Dragon Mercphobia, then I have a hard time believing that he will be able to beat Ignia at his strongest.

And for reference, the form that I'm referring to is this:

 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
My only concern is that Natsu will eventually have to face Ignia in his Dragon form, who seems to be considerably more stronger than Mercphobia. As we saw in the earlier chapters, pretty much everyone in Team Natsu was useless against Dragon Mercphobia.

The only person who could have dealt decent damage to Mercphobia was Ignia-Powered Natsu, which combined with DF, should theoretically allow Natsu to compete on the likes of the Dragon Gods.

If Natsu can't activate the transformation that he used against Dragon Mercphobia, then I have a hard time believing that he will be capable of beating Ignia at his strongest.

And for reference, the form that I'm referring to is this:

I'm gonna assume that as the quest goes on, Natsu will get stronger and when they do face Ignia in the end. He will have a mastered DF form that could compete with him. He will have time to train and better his abilites against Viernes and Selene.

Although I don't believe that the WW or Ignia are the final villians.
 

Jko

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 28, 2016
Messages
7,452
Reaction score
18,793
Country
United States
that's more of a endurance than durability.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

my boy @Nemispelled came back :oooh:oooh:oooh
It's all the same when it comes to a "tank" for me.

(OW reference)
Durability= Hammond
Defense= Reinheart
Durability= Roadhog
They are still considered tanks even tho some have better durability or defense than the other. So I put it all in one package when I made my list.
 

LighteningLord

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
283
Reaction score
1,128
Age
31
Country
India
I feel that Happy can oneshot everyone and win the title because he also won that race long back without flying.
 

Kiki

S-kyuu Madoushi
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,663
Reaction score
31,938
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail
Honestly, in my opinion, determining who is the "tankiest" is a bit tricky right now - there are currently a lot of battles underway and it's difficult to analyze some of these characters' durability without seeing the results of their fights.

Similarly, some characters have not had their maximum durability tested yet in the current arc since there are plenty of hax magic spells being used by different casters. Durability is about how much damage a person can endure, but hax magic negates this feat because it instantly kills due to its properties/mechanics instead of inflicting pain or injury on the opponent.

Not to mention, we've only seen a good amount of feats from a select few of the characters during the 100 Years Quest Arc. For example, it wouldn't necessarily be a fair comparison if we were to compare Natsu/Laxus to Gildartz since Gildartz has been entirely absent from plot. Personally, I don't think that it's far-fetched to say that Gildartz is still tankier than the former two - it just so happens that he hasn't had the spotlight to prove it yet.

There is even a possibility that a mage like Elefseria might rank high in the durability/tankiest charts (since he is supposedly a veteran dragon slayer), but we just don't have enough feats currently to back that claim.



On a side note, I may be alone on this one, but I don't think the last few chapters really changed much of the rankings. Laxus and Erza have always been portrayed as powerhouses in the FT guild and their recent fight pretty much just proved what we already knew all along.

Their match only showed how they compared in relation to one another, but it doesn't really say much about how they would perform against other opponents (ex. Natsu/Gray/Gajeel). Their durability only looked high in that battle because both of them are on relatively similar levels in terms of power and endurance, but that's quite a narrow range to judge off of, in my opinion.



Nonetheless, I'd be interested to see how others rank the mages in a contest of who they would consider to be the tankiest.

I probably won't submit a ranking list of my own (due to too many unknown variables), but I'm open to discussion about different perspectives on the matter.
hey o/ thanks for the input. hehe yeah it's okay, this is first, another rate after a long time. i just wanted to feel nostalgic (back then the ft section was great :3c ) and was bored, so made this rate. axiomus inspired me actually, after reading his post in the power lvl thread. back then we went with affiliation (ishgar mages, alvarez mages, dark guild mages etc), and now why not try different approach? that's what i was thinking. i love to experiment after all! :nod
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

12 hours left!​
 

Demon Hunter

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
12,850
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
hey o/ thanks for the input. hehe yeah it's okay, this is first, another rate after a long time. i just wanted to feel nostalgic (back then the ft section was great :3c ) and was bored, so made this rate. axiomus inspired me actually, after reading his post in the power lvl thread. back then we went with affiliation (ishgar mages, alvarez mages, dark guild mages etc), and now why not try different approach? that's what i was thinking. i love to experiment after all! :nod
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

12 hours left!​
great :confused::confused::confused:

how many posts were deleted during Alvarez era because of :pjsalt:pjsalt:pjsalt


😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😆😆😆😆😆
 

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
6,526
Reaction score
11,423
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Natsu with Ignia's flames is too overpowered so I didn't include him. He tanked tail whips from Mercphobia, which would scale above the claw swipes from Irene that shattered Erza's bones. Plus, it was a temporary power up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Elfseria is on August/Irene's level, and merely being a dragon would offer him immense durability. But I didn't include him either.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Natsu with Ignia's flames is too overpowered so I didn't include him. He tanked tail whips from Mercphobia, which would scale above the claw swipes from Irene that shattered Erza's bones. Plus, it was a temporary power up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Elfseria is on August/Irene's level, and merely being a dragon would offer him immense durability. But I didn't include him either.
Personally I'm expecting Elfseria to be stronger than August and Irene. For the reason that he trained himself with goal to match the dragon gods. Now he said he couldn't do it but he probably became OP just from that.

Also because I think he's going to be the final villian.
 
Last edited:

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, I know one same person, let me remember... Irene:teehee

That's true, both are in the same category in terms of being dragon slayers. I'm still quite unsure of how powerful Elefseria is, which is why I wouldn't know how to rank him in comparison to everybody else, but I still do think that he has a good chance of ranking high.

Irene, on the other hand, already showed her maximum capability in her fight against Wendy and Erza. And unfortunately, contrary to popular opinion, I wasn't too impressed by her skill in that battle, especially since she was already gifted with above-average magic abilities.

But yes, not all dragon slayers are created equal, so that is a very important point.



hey o/ thanks for the input. hehe yeah it's okay, this is first, another rate after a long time. i just wanted to feel nostalgic (back then the ft section was great :3c ) and was bored, so made this rate. axiomus inspired me actually, after reading his post in the power lvl thread. back then we went with affiliation (ishgar mages, alvarez mages, dark guild mages etc), and now why not try different approach? that's what i was thinking. i love to experiment after all! :nod
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

12 hours left!​

Don't get me wrong, I think that this rate is an interesting revisit down memory lane, and I'm also intrigued by how others would rank the characters so far.

I'm just unsure myself on where to put everybody since there hasn't been much full-scale action as the original manga had, but then again, the 100 Years Quest Arc only has 45 chapters so far, much of which were set-up chapters.

And lol, in my opinion, the FT section was always great and still is. It's the best sub-section on this forum, in my honest opinion (as proven by the total amount of time I have spent on here).
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
That's true, both are in the same category in terms of being dragon slayers. I'm still quite unsure of how powerful Elefseria is, which is why I wouldn't know how to rank him in comparison to everybody else, but I still do think that he has a good chance of ranking high.

Irene, on the other hand, already showed her maximum capability in her fight against Wendy and Erza. And unfortunately, contrary to popular opinion, I wasn't too impressed by her skill in that battle, especially since she was already gifted with above-average magic abilities.

But yes, not all dragon slayers are created equal, so that is a very important point.






Don't get me wrong, I think that this rate is an interesting revisit down memory lane, and I'm also intrigued by how others would rank the characters so far.

I'm just unsure myself on where to put everybody since there hasn't been much full-scale action as the original manga had, but then again, the 100 Years Quest Arc only has 45 chapters so far, much of which were set-up chapters.

And lol, in my opinion, the FT section was always great and still is. It's the best sub-section on this forum, in my honest opinion (as proven by the total amount of time I have spent on here).
What is your FT power rankings?
 

Nemispelled

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
2,335
Reaction score
3,740
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What is your FT power rankings?

Don't really have a specific list atm.

I still believe that Gildartz is the most powerful mage in the manga, aside from the really OP ones. Natsu has shown considerable improvement in the 100 Years Quest so far, but that makes sense because he's the one likely to take down the Dragon Gods, should they ever have to resort to combat. So he probably takes 2nd place in the guild for now.

All the other high-tier FT mages should be around the same level as they were in Alvarez. I still do think that Erza is overrated since I'm not a very big fan of her massive PoF moments, but she is still a formidable wizard as far as Fairy Tail is concerned.

I don't hold Acnologia, Zeref, or the Spriggan 12 to any high regard, especially in the current arc. This is largely because the end of Alvarez Arc was a complete mess in my opinion and the powerscaling was extremely inconsistent, but people have different opinions on this, and it really depends on how you look at the last arc.

I really like some of the new villains in the 100 Years Quest Arc, but I don't have any rankings for them as of now since all of them are still relatively new.
 

Kiki

S-kyuu Madoushi
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,663
Reaction score
31,938
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail
DM closed! Results soon!​
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Here's my top 10 tankiest mages

7 points


Emotional Gajeel
@GajeelNashi (7)

17 points

Singer Gajeel

@GajeelNashi (17)

27 points

Gajeel Redfox
@GajeelNashi (27)

37 points

Suicidal Gajeel
@GajeelNashi (37)

47 points

Bandana Gajeel
@GajeelNashi (47)

57 points

Iron Dragon Slayer Gajeel
@GajeelNashi (57)

67 points

Iron Shadow Dragon Mode Gajeel
@GajeelNashi (67)

77 points

GajeelNashi
@GajeelNashi (77)

87 points

Erza Scarlet
@GajeelNashi (87)

777 points

Dragon Force Gajeel
@GajeelNashi (777)

Edolas Gajeel is ineligible due to the lack of magic power within the host. Therefore, it shall not be considered a mage.

On a real note, @August_Lightning , I'll see what I can do. It's been quite awhile since I last participated in the Fairy Tail forum which is pretty sad considering this manga is the reason why I'm here. I stopped reading the 100 years quest quite awhile ago too because I was quite busy in real life so it made me lose interest in it but I'm working on it. It's the next one in line with Tower of God. I'll come back once I finish FT 100 YQ, gotta get back into the old fairy tail vibes first :noworry​
heya o/ you sending your list? :3

I am still waiting for Ajeel Ramal and Axiomus' incomplete list....
--- Double Post Merged, ---

thanks to the participants!
@August_Lightning
@Seven777
@One4All
@IamtherealMirajane
@Ebony Maw
@Brandish
@LighteningLord
@Stormsfury
@Ajeel Ramal
@Sevently
@grey matter
@Takuan
@Jko
@Jean Grey
@lakhan220
@Axiomus (incomplete list)

sorry to those who wanted to send their lists but couldn't in the end! :pout

20th place (score: 1)


Bacchus Groh
@LighteningLord (1)


Invel Yura
@Ajeel Ramal (1)​
 
Last edited:
Top