Discussion - Best of Alvarez Arc | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Best of Alvarez Arc

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
This thread is to discuss the best 'anything' in the Alvarez Arc. They can include...
  • Moments, or parts
  • Developments in the story, or with characters
  • Chapters
  • Panels
  • Spells
  • Characters designs
  • and more... it's up to you

Please keep discussion limited to the Alvarez arc, and the 'best' only. We have other threads that are devoted to being critical about the arc.

Invel > Zeref

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally finished my list

Top 25 best moments in this arc:

1. Natsu defeating infinite power Zeref with friendship punch
2. Erza vs Irene
3. Every Lucy fanservice moment which was like 70% of her scenes this arc
4. August's idiotic suicide
5. Dimaria having one of the most hax magics but primarily using it to strip people in the middle of a freaking war.
6. Makarov resurrection
7. Gajeel Fake death
8. Makarov's death against fodder
9. Juvia fake death
10. Brandish gets one shotted by Cana for comedy
11. Gray trying to commit suicide for like the fourth time and Natsu being the one to stop him again
12. Natsu learns about his past and that he is a demon but just says he's human rather than undergo any real character development
13. Everything about the time lapse and Anna’s return
14. Erza’s historia being defeated with just a look
15. Zeref x Mavis loli sex and her getting back together with him a chapter after he tried to destroy everything
16. Acno’s inability to easily destroy a ship that was one shotted by Wahl Icht. He chose to get embarrassed for 10 chapters rather then one shot that ship with a roar.
17. Elfman and Lisanna vs Ajeel
18. Irene being a dragon despite Acnologia not recognizing her as one in their first encounter
19. Jacob getting turned into a joke whose weakness is fanservice
20. Enchanted Neinhart getting one shotted
21. Gray and Lucy getting relegated to Natsu’s cheerleaders and book editors for the whole Natsu vs Zeref fight
22. Mirajane only getting fights against two swords and a guy who lost because her tits were exposed
23. Natsu vs Gray getting stopped prematurely and built up improperly
24. Return of Aquarius
25. Gods of Ishgar getting fodderized against someone who isn't even a top spriggan.

Honorable mention: Almost every other moment in this fantastic arc.

Last edited:

Isqui

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I finally finished my list

Top 25 best moments in this arc:

1. Natsu defeating infinite power Zeref with friendship punch
2. Erza vs Irene
4. August's idiotic suicide
5. Dimaria having one of the most hax magics but primarily using it to strip people in the middle of a freaking war.
6. Makarov resurrection
7. Gajeel Fake death
8. Makarov's death against fodder
9. Juvia fake death
10. Brandish gets one shotted by Cana for comedy
11. Gray trying to commit suicide for like the fourth time and Natsu being the one to stop him again
12. Natsu learns about his past and that he is a demon but just says he's human rather than undergo any real character development
13. Everything about the time lapse and Anna’s return
14. Erza’s historia being defeated with just a look
15. Zeref x Mavis loli sex and her getting back together with him a chapter after he tried to destroy everything
16. Acno’s inability to easily destroy a ship that was one shotted by Wahl Icht. He chose to get embarrassed for 10 chapters rather then one shot that ship with a roar.
17. Elfman and Lisanna vs Ajeel
18. Irene being a dragon despite Acnologia not recognizing her as one in their first encounter
19. Jacob getting turned into a joke whose weakness is fanservice
20. Enchanted Neinhart getting one shotted
21. Gray and Lucy getting relegated to Natsu’s cheerleaders and book editors for the whole Natsu vs Zeref fight
22. Mirajane only getting fights against two swords and a guy who lost because her tits were exposed
23. Natsu vs Gray getting stopped prematurely and built up improperly
24. Return of Aquarius
25. Gods of Ishgar getting fodderized. If they were going to get beat so badly, I wish it was against one of the top spriggan.

Honorable mention: Almost every other moment in this fantastic arc.
And the mine are:
*Wendy now can resurrect the dead (Juvia)
*Brandish vs Lucy Epic Bath battle.
*An subordinate of Brandish, Marin, toying the main characters. 50 chapter later, Lucy alone can fight Brandish.
*Every guild of Fiore except FT is useless in the "war".
*Natsu four times "dying" in the arc -.-
*Zeref's face after the death of August and Irene and with nearly their entire amy defeated is like "meh, i don't care, i still can win"
*Brandish "I'm not your ally but i still will help you!"
*Ajeel wants go to war alone.
*Brandish has a island to their feets yet she can't do the same with a fucking town.
*Third Origin.
*Laxus is not sick anymore.
*Jacob wants solo Acnologia.
*Larcarde sex magic
*Gildarts is hungry.
*Erza, Mavis and Carla thinks that Nastu and Happy can solo Zeref and their entire army,
*Kagura-Erza Yuri Scene.
*Lucy "death" according crazy Natsu.
*Off-panel battles.
*Acnologia kills God Serena in one second yet he can't do the same to Jellal, Wendy or Erza.

Last edited:

Schpittfeuer

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Omg that's so good :)

In whole FT you mean? After all NaLu romance, aka second best romance in history of anime after SasuSaku, has to have real and deep foundations :D

For me top 1 is Makarov sacrificing his life against fodder that would get nakamized anyway, and then getting resurrected. Brilliant.

Reactions: Tio

Linali

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I love how Acnologia was introduced in this arc, him talking with Zeref, killing GS in a blink of eye and facing Irene. Ehhh, good old days... :feelsbadman
And I enjoyed Sting & co vs Larcade. I've already said many times why, so I won't repeat myself ;)

Overall this arc was pretty good to some moment, but honestly, latest development kinda covered the nice beginning.

**Silver**

Reaction score
Country
Finland
1. God Serena appearance 440 chapter and his angry face, The strongest wizard saint God Serena yes there is 11 more who are par with even the strongest Saint, THE SHOCKWAWE IS APROACHING , i was literally shitting after this panel but all the hype turned out to be false

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
For me, I would say that the best part of Alvarez Arc would be the "Prologue to the War".

I really enjoyed the chapters where FT reunited after their 1 year disbandment, and started discussing the situation of Alvarez invading Ishgar. These events happened shortly after Makarov was rescued.

The set-up of the war during this time frame was extremely well done and my suspense for the arc was at its highest peak.

I also liked the chapters where FT organized multiple defensive positions across Magnolia while Ajeel's fleet was arriving. The Jutsu-Shiki tactic by the Thunder Legion was a brilliant plan, and also quite effective in stalling the incoming onslaught.

Wahl's army penetrating the Jutsu-Shiki barrier was also an interesting plot twist since it put Fairy Tail in a tough and dangerous situation.

The idea of sending several members across town (ex. Gray, Mira, Lisanna, Juvia, and Elfman) to intercept Wahl's army was also another exciting part of the whole ordeal.

And while I thought the dynamics of Team Osprey and Team Flying Dragon could have been improved, the overall concept of the plan had great framework and decent aspects.

Also, all the other guilds being involved and forming an alliance to help/defend Fairy Tail was another enjoyable component of the arc's plot.

The introduction to the war had a lot of potential... and that was personally my favorite moments from this arc.

Everything else quickly started to fall apart after Mavis kept interjecting her opinion and deciding to get involved in the war.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
END one-shotting Dimaria and being immune to Age Seal.

Luca Blight

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
The Terror of the Twelve xD

Jokes aside, there are quite a few nice moments in the arc, but they were typically ruined by the following chapter(s)

The first cool panel of the arc was Brandish shrinking the island (although she claimed SP12 are equally powerful which contradicted her later statements)
The last cool moment is Acnologia destroying the 7DS. But then Erza came and ruined everything, the 6DS giving their powers to uncle Plotsu made it worse.

My personal favorite happenings is Kagura's behavior/development and Sherria's sacrifice. Not much else is noteworthy if you don't count misleading hype/feats. Romance was cringe, it ended me up not caring for the one pair that I did somewhat like (Gajeel and Levy)

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Really enjoyed the 12s, contrary to popular opinion. Just how at least half of them got off'd was the lamest thing. I would say Ajeel, God Serena, Bloodman, Larcade, Dimaria, and Invel got acceptable defeats.

Character development. All of Team Natsu got some in different spurts or methods but I would say Wendy or Erza got the most. Sting, Kagura, Jellal, Sherria were some of the sides that glo'd up this arc.

Learning of the a new continent and traveling. I love world building arcs and we got that, everything outside of the movies has stayed inside of Fiore so going to a different country was great.

Diversity of the magics. We got some magics I've been waiting to see in this arc such as Age Seal, but the uniqueness of Brandish's Command T or even Larcade's desire magics questionable or not was great.

Irene's past and Mavis and Zeref dying together. Irene being consumed by regret was understandable even if I disliked her suicide but it was memorable for what its worth. Natsu vs. Zeref 2 was bullshit in the ending but Mavis and Zeref died how everyone wanted so it was good to see that happened even if Makarov ruined the chapter.

Last edited:

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Best of Alvarez?

16. Kagura kissing Erza and Kagura giving Jellal CPR
15. Azir's ships appearing on the skyline and Freed using his magic to protect Magnolia
14. Ichiya sending a his SOS out to all the guilds including Bacchus and Quadro Cerberus
13. Gray, Lucy, Natsu vs Azir; Makarov grabbing the kids to protect them then Laxus swooping in
12. Kagura and Sting vs Larcade
11. Dimaria slashing Brandish
10. Jellal saving Erza from Acno; Ichiya's ship hitting Acno
9. Acnologia killing Serena after Serena vs GoI
8. The actual fight of Natsu vs Gray - not why they were fighting or the family doesn't fight ending - but the fight itself (had great choreography)
7. Irene
6. Laxus vs Wharl
5. End's awakening and beating Dimaria in her time cuz she hurt Lucy; the mystery of it too because it was offpanel
4. Zeref and Mavis dying
3. Lucy vs Brandish
2. Chelia losing her magic
1. Star dresses

Sidenote: you may think it is just my bias of why Star dress gor the top spot (and well you would be partially right) but really the Star dresses was the only consistent part of Alvarez that was good from the designs to the powers like star shot and earthwave. Irene was only introduced later. Wendy got consistent development but she went from being held down from Bluenote to her beating Itene to giving Natsu plot slaying powers. Other moments were good for the moment like Chelia losing her magic would be good if that stayed possible and I would rank it higher if we had ended the manga but Mashima still has time to negligate that consequence. Mavis and Zeref was something set up well even tho it's execution was bad. Same with Natsu vs Gray. And the only thing to hurt Laxus vs Wharl was Red lightening.

Last edited:

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
1) natsu existing
2) Lucy existing :hip:datass
3) natsu ending dimaria's career. Bitch went from stripping little girls to becoming a farmer 😭
4) acnologia statuing august and one shotting god Serena
5) Lucy and natsu existing
4) erza vs ajeel

WoWfan

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
The longer and developed fights, other people besides FT getting their turns to fight, Alvarez itself.

sree

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
1. Igneel Natsu vs Zeref Round 1
2. Erza vs Ajeel
3. Kagura getting over her grudge though I didn't like how it was executed.
4. Dimaria being farmer
5. Lucy smartness in defeating both Zeref and Acno
6. Jellal blocking Acno and tagging it later despite standing no chance.