Shounen - Birdmen By Yellow Tanabe | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Birdmen By Yellow Tanabe

Limit

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Genre: School-life, Sci-fi, Shounen
Author and Artist:Yellow TANABE
Serialization: Weekly Shounen Sunday
Synopsis (from mangaupdates): Eishi Karasuma (15 years) is a loner with a monotone life. His only friend is Mikisada Komoda (14 year). They venture together while skipping course. One day in a parc, they met Tsubame, a very energetic girl and Rei Sagisawa (15 year), a boy that attend the same middle school. On their way back, Eishi and Mikisada take a bus which lose its track and fell from a cliff. Eishi tries to go out when he suddenly spots a young boy with wings...

First chapter is out at Batoto, you can read it here.

Wasn't one of those big good first chapters. I mean it wasn't bad (I'm kinda bored of main characters like Eishi) but I'm a fairly big fan of Yellow Tanabe's works so I'll stay hopeful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Re: [New] Birdmen By Yellow Tanabe

Interesting because nothing much has been told. The first chapter was an introduction of two main characters. Yet, the coloured double page and the mentioning of the birdman (wonder why birdmen - plural form is used) creates a mystery in which the characters will be involved. You can't find this good, neither can you find this bad. It is more or less the question if this prologue is interesting. I say yes!

Is this a short series or not?

Limit

Reaction score
Country
United States

Interesting because nothing much has been told. The first chapter was an introduction of two main characters. Yet, the coloured double page and the mentioning of the birdman (wonder why birdmen - plural form is used) creates a mystery in which the characters will be involved. You can't find this good, neither can you find this bad. It is more or less the question if this prologue is interesting. I say yes!

Is this a short series or not?
Exactly what I was thinking. Not good enough to say its good but not bad enough to say its bad. Those who read the raws say its pretty slow-paced and nothing good happens till the end of chapter 2 - chapter 3. :/

I don't think it's a short series, so probably Yellow Tanabe's next big series. I'd much rather have Laughter in the end of the world get its own full length series but I guess that's good on its own. Anyways I'll keep my eye on this series.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France

No this time it is a long serie. Also let's not forget that the Sunday issue where it was published had also next chapter in it.
And I remember people where already saying that Shuumatsu was slow pace :-)
This is a Sunday title so there is no the same need to rush as for a Jump one and Tanabe knows it and take her time to install the characters.
I already wonder how the two of them became friends, it's not like they match each others

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

Well I wouldn't be too detracted to be fair Tanabe does tend to start of rather slow in the pick up of interest. So I'd hold my thoughts until I see more chapters given the pace of the author with the previous works. Though I admit I too would've preferred Laughter, yet given the series it would have been quite a difficult piece to write in sustained quality looking at the long run.

Last edited:

Magnus

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco

I have read up to the third chapter (just scanlated today if I'm not mistaken) and I have to say it's really a shame that we'll have to wait until october for the next chapter. I like the main cast, the pace is slow but it makes room for a good amount of characterization. The contract thing is definitely intriguing, hopefully this series doesn't suffer another hiatus in the future.

Limit

Reaction score
Country
United States

Chapter 3 is out, and things are really picking up I guess. It's getting much more interesting I'll say that.

I have read up to the third chapter (just scanlated today if I'm not mistaken) and I have to say it's really a shame that we'll have to wait until october for the next chapter. I like the main cast, the pace is slow but it makes room for a good amount of characterization. The contract thing is definitely intriguing, hopefully this series doesn't suffer another hiatus in the future.
There should be 2 more chapters left to scanlate iirc. But yeah it really is a shame. :(

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Chapter 5 is cool, as finally we have some insights on what Birdmen are capable of. The Black Out thing is creepy, and I suspect Birdmen are destined to fight with those creatures. We need more explanation why Birdmen need learn how to fight ASAP aside from protecting themselves from Black Outs, I think there would be another urgency as well.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
This needs to be animated, every since they awoke and used their wings its been phenomenal. Takamiya is the best and his full body stripping to cool transformation was quite exciting and hype inducing. Cant wait to see what cool things are in store as the creatures from the Blackout become a point of focus

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Damn, latest chapter is great, I really love the scenery at night drawn in that chapter. The art spread is so gorgeous. Story-wise, poor Ei for not making big progress at all :XD

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kind of wish this series would be more than monthly as some of the plot points, great in concept, are hard to read knowing to wait a month for. Typically I guess I like reading monthlies in volume format since that wont be an issue.

But the chp 7 flying stuff was hilarious.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Kind of wish this series would be more than monthly as some of the plot points, great in concept, are hard to read knowing to wait a month for. Typically I guess I like reading monthlies in volume format since that wont be an issue.

But the chp 7 flying stuff was hilarious.
Agree with this, I thought exactly the same when I was reading it.

The story is good so far but only Karasuma is fleshed out, though his 2 male friends get a little more development thanks to their interactions with him. I wonder if the others will have as much development as him in the future.

ryzvonusef

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
For the prudent and rational Karasuma deciding to fight was rather surprising but he won :).

Might be because I didn't read a chapter for a long time but I don't remember Takayama ever smiling like that.

The last pages confirmed that there is an organization for Birdmen.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally caught up on this one. I hope it gets a main antagonist getting involved pretty soon, 11 chapters in its a fun kids club type of manga but there is little sense of danger or urgency beyond the typical dont be discovered type of thing.

Team Takayama for life though.

AleTheSennin

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I LOVE BIRDMEN :^_^
What a great Manga!
I'm doing an Italian version of it with my Team!

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Popping in to say this is a manga, though infrequently released, gets me genuinely excited when a new chapter comes out. The slow, calculated build Tanabe has been doing is fantastic. It seemed slow when it first started, but it's paying off big. Kinda cements my opinion that Yellow Tanabe is one of the best shonen writers out there tbh.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Chapter 43 emerges. Damn, it's been like nearly a freaking year. Where's the love, goddammit? This is a great manga and Yellow Tanabe is a great mangaka. Y'all fools for not hyping this. *waits for the anime to change minds*

Admiral Teach

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
This series disrupted the shounen formula when it when very dark, very suddenly, and disturbingly. It definitely qualifies as a more serious story in between shounen and seinen, similarly to Death Note or (Sort of) Promised Neverland.