Chapter 24 - Living for the next battle | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Chapter 24 - Living for the next battle

tune

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
author's note:
thoughts speech
wednesday = the canteen's delicious waffle-day :D
Stephanie suffered from a festering wound which caused a high fever, she woke up on thrusday evening (zeran knocked her out with lots of sleeping pills, to be on the safe side...)
::i know i messed up the title >< ::

“This is … mother?”
A large, hovering oval-shaped structure overhead slowly steered its cannons forward.

Ying awoke with slightly faltering smile.
Inhumane trainings to obey instructions and smile emotionlessly were engraved sharply into her for as long as she remembered before her miraculous adoption by a merciful widow; whom she failed to assassinate and was abandoned during that particular mission.
But that was all the past.
Her dark, void-like eyes stare into her right arm entwined in the translucent weave-work of a single thin cord, with the ends at a ring on her middle finger and an exquisite crest adorn with two separate halves of an orb; the ring pendulum which she found akin with.
A half of the crest is currently glowing steadily, signaling the activation of [white trial: convoke]; which selectively accumulates the metabolism of cell renewal and growth of her body.
That recurrent nightmare … must have been the result of activating that form
Ying wondered for a second and rose at the clutter of steps approaching the door of the ward.

Stacking the piles of books and documents on the table and lifting them away to an old wooden shelf, an energetic greeting accompanied the sound of the creaking door.
First-aid staff: “Hey there~! Time for the shift change— Ah, you’re at it again aren’t you? Why won’t you just move your stuff over to the ward?”
Ying: “I’ll tidy up the place in just a minute…”

Ying approached the desk which was still creaking under the weight of the load of books and papers as the first-aid staff placed a clipboard with some particulars and records.
First-aid staff: “Yea, take all the time in the world. Anyway, here’s a request for assistance at 3B-002. Since we’ll have to treat an exorcist, we might have to knock her out—”
Ying paused in her tracks. Exorcists being injured were never good news, with majority in extreme cases…
Ying: “How is the exorcist’s injury?”
First-aid staff: “I heard she’s got quite a whipping— hey! Wait! Ya’ know, all work and no play’ll make Jack a DULL BOY!!”

The first-aid staff hollered after Ying who dashed away in a flutter of white.
First-aid staff: “…so what am I supposed to do with these waffles anyway…?”

The transferred exorcists who arrived to the organization’s North America branch just days ago after an intense battle, according to the news.
An exorcist critically injured which was just reported? Was it the usual stubbornness of the exorcists towards their scars of battles? Whichever way, there were no alarming reports of deaths other than the massacre of an elderly bookman recently…
With the night shift not accounted for yet and knowing the way hyperactive exorcists treat their wounds, I’ll definitely have to use that.

Ying ponders as she skipped over 2 stairs with every step, the first-aid kit dangling at hand.

Along the door of room 3B-002, three exorcists were present.
With the worried look on at least one of their faces…the patient must be in a bad shape…
Ying: “I’m Ying, a night-shift first-aid staff.”
Stares were shot towards her.

*whisper*
Tabby: “hey, isn’t that kid suspicious? Didn’t you tell them it’s an EMERGENCY?”
Rinvak: “I DID! Just what kind of standard does this branch have? …That Cheshire-cat-like smile, are we that funny?”
Zeran: “these place either work weird, or its not suppose to happen and it’s a joke.”
Tabby: “time for ‘formation B’!”
Rinvak & Zeran: “what ‘formation B’?”
Tabby: “alright, on three! One…, two…, th—”

*whisper*

Ying: “I’m 13 years old and not a kid. We did receive an urgent request for assistance and I assure you that the standard of this branch is excellent. I’m smiling because I can’t manage other facial expressions and you’re not really that funny. This section functions with the same rules as others and more and it’s not a joke.”

Ying replied without a falter in her smile.
With the cold air, dark walls, white coat, pale skin and unchanging tone of her voice, there was a slight eeriness.
The exorcist trio left through the dark corridor, their figures blending with the darkening walls at the arrival of night; just like that time…
As the trio leave, discussion and argument of some setup of doping involving the named exorcist, Zeran, echoed throughout.
At least that will save me the effort of anesthetizing an exorcist reluctant for medical treatment.
Ying thought as she entered her patient’s room.

An unfurnished room came into view; the exorcist, Stephanie, had just moved into this room anyway.
Stephanie laid on a bed in the corner of the room, flushed with fever and breathing softly in her sleep. A jug of clear water and an empty cup stood on a side table as a puddle of water continuously spread upon the floor nearby.
That was probably their tactic.
The exorcists; apostles of god, there lies an unimaginable weight of their duty and with every step they take, their futures are plagued with new perils and raising circumstances… does there exist any place for them to rest without worries…?

Ying mused as she raised her right hand slightly, the crest from the ring pendulum unlocked from the ring with a slight click. The crest dropped down and swayed gently as the glowing of a half of the orb dimmed and disappears to be replaced by a dark glow of the latter half.
[Black tribulation: detriment]— Ying mouthed silently.

Stephanie awoke with a start under the warm orange rays of the setting sun and a fragrant aroma of waffles from a towering pile of take-aways on a distant desk.
This is… a ward? But when—
Stephanie thought as she looked around and rose to leave, suddenly astonished by the lack of the habitual pain of her injuries, looking down at her leg, there showed no sign of blood or bandage; there was no wound.
First-aid staff: “ah, you’re awake miss exorcist. We’ll have to keep you under observation for another day or two, so please lie down”

In a small room with a simple setup of a desk, a cupboard, a chair, and a bed, Ying turned sideways under her covers as the crest on the ring pendulum glows white steadily— [white trial: ameliorate].
She has her next mission as a finder when she wakes up after all.

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
MY GOD, this perfect english kills me xD. Kinda difficult to read but excellent. No, it's amazing, nice, really good chapter, luv it ^___^.
And so descriptive :3. You have really good writing-skills.

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
thanks for the compliment :) but i don't think it was good...the information i can give is mostly only about my rp character. i dare not write anything about the noahs coz...it seems that their characteristics are a diffcult ground to walk >< i'm not up to it writing about the noahs... ><
(everybody who wrote about the noahs have great english skills...o_o)

i forgot to add that ying's ability can be figured out pretty easily if you were to find for the words in the dictionary :)

i can't wait for snoogen0120's chapter next! :D

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
*runs for a dictionary XD*

Ying is cool, and she's always smiling? Thats neat 8D

Yeah, some parts of this were a bit confusing, but overall, this was awesomeful.

And I luff teh waffles ((Tabby prolly would have had to go to the infimary from a bellyache XD))

deathshadow25

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ying iscreepy orta like sai from Naruto with his fake smile.....

Great chapter overall you'll be the first finder with an Innocence!

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
deathshadow25 said:
Ying iscreepy orta like sai from Naruto with his fake smile.....

Great chapter overall you'll be the first finder with an Innocence!
thanks for the complimant again :)

you're almost right about the creepy part :D but for ying, she is not able to fake a smile, rather, she does not know how to express any other emotions other than smiling coz she was drilled to do so from young...(its just another story i'll cover another time :) )

sorry for the misunderstanding but...her ring pendulum is definatly not an innocence. she's doing research on the origin of that "antique" ever since she entered the organization (same thing, another story for another time :) )

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cute chapter! Nice hints about your character's background especially the assassin part. I love the drugging part; might include some more details about it in the next chapter. I won't be posting it today because I have to cram for my art history exam but it'll probably be posted tomorrow afternoon.

Overall, good chapter! :thumbs

deathshadow25

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
also nobody has commented on how Noahs know the location of HQ

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
..............good point............damn..............maybe........Jaques sent one of his sekt on the train to stalk them?

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
deathshadow25 said:
Don't worry; I have something in mind, but it will be revealed so much later since it will probably ruin the surprise for my character.

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
deathshadow25 said:
come to think of it... :D i probably have an inkling of what snoogen0120 will write for that :)
the noahs seem to not be too much bothered/troubled by the exorcists since they didn't storm hq...

i hope at least someone should have roughly figure out what ying's abilities are... ><

deathshadow25

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know what they are roughly at least the work ameliorate was a big hint but I had to look up convoke but it just concluded the obvious.

white trials are for healing and repairing or bringing things together and the black trials are....well lets say does she become Yang

AthrunZala222

Zeran is anti-social!!!!!!!!!! No way would he get along with Rivnak and Tabitha in any situation other than a life or death one!!!!!!! XP XP XP XP XP XP But I liek Ying, in animes she's my second type of favorite girls I like.

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
AthrunZala222 said:
But I liek Ying, in animes she's my second type of favorite girls I like.
Then what kind of girl do you like? jk jk Anyway, did you get my PM?

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
AthrunZala222 said:
Zeran is anti-social!!!!!!!!!! No way would he get along with Rivnak and Tabitha in any situation other than a life or death one!!!!!!! XP XP XP XP XP XP But I liek Ying, in animes she's my second type of favorite girls I like.
sorry about making zeran part of doping-stephanie-plan... ><
*cough* is there anyway for rinvak &/ tabby to blackmail zeran into a plan? :D *cough*
...just a thought :)

deathshadow25 said:
I know what they are roughly at least the work ameliorate was a big hint but I had to look up convoke but it just concluded the obvious.

white trials are for healing and repairing or bringing things together and the black trials are....well lets say does she become Yang
you've got the part about white trial right :D but ying doesn't become another person while using black tribulation :) she's just herself~

*hint*
i meant to have black tribulation as an ability that places tribulation on the user herself... :amuse

*another hint*
ameliorate can only work on the user because of convoke... (i had to set limits to the skills :D )

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
black tribulation has her take the damage from someone else and then impose it upn herself, then she uses white trialto heal herself?

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
bingo~ :D *a waffle deluxe for djmewmew*

i was wondering if i have to state all of my character's abilities for other chapters by you guys? coz if i were to get into a battle, how'd that go about? ><
innocence seem great now... it's a strong weapon all by itself without an ability chart and mess... ><

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Woo~ Waffles =D *pours hot chocolate sauce and sprinkles on it and has brunch* Arigato~!

deathshadow25

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
tune said:
you've got the part about white trial right :D but ying doesn't become another person while using black tribulation :) she's just herself~

*hint*
i meant to have black tribulation as an ability that places tribulation on the user herself... :amuse

*another hint*
ameliorate can only work on the user because of convoke... (i had to set limits to the skills :D )
Well I know that black trials are the opposite of the white trials their for Damage aka detriment