Claymore 81 Review by natli | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Claymore 81 Review by natli

natli

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
CHAPTER 81: A PROMISE OF LONG AGO
(Thanks to shrimpy for the translation!)

Renee

We finally meet the Organization’s Eye. As far as character design goes, she looks great. Finally a Claymore who would be recognizable even if she changed her hairstyle.

Moreover, she seems to be a decent person. She agrees to Raki’s request and promises to pass on his message if she meets Clare. Nevertheless, it’s still possible she was going to tell the Organization about that strange pair. As for the promise, it is very probable she will meet Clare and deliver the message. Which would also mean that she will be saved from Riful. I doubt an Awakened would pass on sentimental messages. Also, Riful is going to take her time with Renee, as she has the skills needed for the job. She will be careful not to kill her during tortures, which gives the potential rescuer more time.

Having said this, I’m a bit disappointed. First of all, Renee is “only” number 6. Up till now, the Claymores with excellent yoki reading skills, like Teresa, Clare or Galatea, were counted among the most powerful warriors in the history of the Organization. I’m not surprised Renee didn’t sense Priscilla or Riful (which I’ll explain below), but the way she was caught seemed way too easy. I hope that she still has something up her sleeve which will save her reputation.

Raki and…

…Yes, Priscilla :D. So it was the obvious choice after all. The real surprise is that Raki is aware what she is. Apparently he somehow convinced her to starve herself to death. Her sudden change in size is also explained; it’s the lack of food. Raki is aware that this won’t continue indefinitely, and that she will snap one day and probably eat him. And he’s okay with that. So contrary to popular belief, he’s not an oblivious idiot. He is a noble one.

At this point it is obvious that there had to be a fallout with Isley. Priscilla starving (and presumably weakening herself) is against his plans. He must have underestimated the influence Raki had over Priscilla. Did it end in a row? Did Priscilla try to save Raki? If so, is Isley still alive? I would love to see the scene in which Raki discovers the truth.

There is also the matter of Priscilla’s will. An Awakened willingly not eating humans is a first. This calls into question the old truth, that Awakened Beings are inherently amoral and cannot come back to what they were. Is Priscilla a special case? She used to hate yomas more than anyone when she was a Claymore. Maybe Raki used this trauma to get to her?

This chapter also shows us why Priscilla is so dangerous. The Organisation’s Eye couldn’t sense her till she actually touched her. I don’t think it’s because Renee is so bad at reading yoki. Priscilla is simply too good at suppressing it.

Furthermore, it turns out Raki isn’t as special as I thought. In the past, there were humans who could kill yoma. What they lacked was the ability to sense them.

The Village

The scene in which Raki scares the man who accused him of being a yoma was funny, but it also shows the paranoia among the ordinary people. The way they look for yoma reminds me of a witch hunt but in this case the witches are real. Those people cannot trust anyone. A neighbor, an old friend, a brother, anyone can be a yoma in disguise. And this has been going on for generations. It’s a wonder that those people are more or less sane. Raki understands this and doesn’t hold a grudge. But then again, he’s a noble idiot.

Riful recruiting

It is funny how the least likely scenarios are always explored and the simplest ones get overlooked. Riful going after Renee is logical, we knew that she was actively looking for a person skilled at yoki reading but as far as I know nobody predicted that. But more importantly, if Renee really doesn’t have any means of escaping and she won’t be saved, Riful will get her mysterious weapon. I have to admit I can’t wait :D

As far as Riful being able to fool Renee, I’m blaming Riful’s cloaking abilities rather that Renee’s senses. Back when Riful was first introduced even Galatea had problems with sensing her. She noticed her only when Riful spoke to her. What’s interesting is that Alicia was able to sense Riful perfectly, she was even able to asses how much damage she would be able to inflict and the possible outcome of a fight. This might mean that Alicia could be the Organization’s true Eye.

And finally my last comment:
…to be continued in September?! SEPTEMBER?!

edit: Sorry, once again I forgot that the month on the cover and the actual release date are different. Now we have the August issue in July, and next month the September issue in August. Right. ^^'

Last edited:

hayateblitz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Please register to see the content of this post.

kaliayev

Reaction score
Country
United States

Last edited:

natli

Reaction score
Country
Poland

Unholy

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

kaliayev

Reaction score
Country
United States

Last edited:

natli

Reaction score
Country
Poland

Raysen_ht

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

natli

Reaction score
Country
Poland

freaky2

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

natli

Reaction score
Country
Poland

PB|Ichigo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

kaliayev

Reaction score
Country
United States