Society - Coronavirus Hangout | Page 14 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Society Coronavirus Hangout

Are you vaccinated?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I would be if I had access

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Here masks are highly recommended. Code for “Wear one but we aren’t going send the police after you.” A nail salon in Kingston (in between Toronto and Montreal) that just opened up was responsible for cases. There, masks are now enforced. But seriously, salons and barber shops are wearing hazmat suits and mine told me to wash my own hair. It just proves one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. :notrust
I got yelled at in two different FB pages (one for senator) for saying masks should be mandatory. Even after Texas, Florida, Arizona, and California's cases went up.
I still haven't gotten haircut this year. Even with a mask is seems like a bad idea to go to a place where you basically have a person breathing pretty much on you for about 10 uninterrupted minutes.
Barbers aren't required to wear masks?

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I got yelled at in two different FB pages (one for senator) for saying masks should be mandatory. Even after Texas, Florida, Arizona, and California's cases went up.

UFC fighter Jacare Souza is wearing a mask above. He was pulled from his scheduled fight on may 9th 2020, after testing positive for corona virus.

I don't think he infected anyone he interacted with there despite being in close proximity.

Best evidence I've seen for masks being effective for keeping the virus contained.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Barbers aren't required to wear masks?
The problem with mandatory masks is how it’s enforced. If it’s mandatory in businesses, businesses can refuse entry and it’s easy to enforce. If it’s mandatory in public, do we want police or bylaw officers enforcing the law while people already mistrust these officers? It all comes down to individuals following guidelines and government leaders ensuring proper measures in place.

I believe salons and barber shops have to wear a mask and most go a step beyond by having face shields. The problem with this incident was an infected customer maybe didn’t wear one and the business allegedly didn’t maintain distancing between clients. At the end of the day, the business was the one who let people without a mask in and it has cost them more than whatever that customer brought in.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

UFC fighter Jacare Souza is wearing a mask above. He was pulled from his scheduled fight on may 9th 2020, after testing positive for corona virus.

I don't think he infected anyone he interacted with there despite being in close proximity.

Best evidence I've seen for masks being effective for keeping the virus contained.
Dunno what more you want when there are experiments comparing coughing with mask on and coughing with mask off. On top of this and reports saying the two masked but corona positive barbers/hairstylists did not infect anyone else, I think it's safe to assume masks are for the most part extremely effective, and more than social distancing.

The problem with mandatory masks is how it’s enforced. If it’s mandatory in businesses, businesses can refuse entry and it’s easy to enforce. If it’s mandatory in public, do we want police or bylaw officers enforcing the law while people already mistrust these officers? It all comes down to individuals following guidelines and government leaders ensuring proper measures in place.

I believe salons and barber shops have to wear a mask and most go a step beyond by having face shields. The problem with this incident was an infected customer maybe didn’t wear one and the business allegedly didn’t maintain distancing between clients. At the end of the day, the business was the one who let people without a mask in and it has cost them more than whatever that customer brought in.
I mean, I'm okay with police being shitheads towards people who don't wear masks because these people can affect others as well.

ah, I see.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Dunno what more you want when there are experiments comparing coughing with mask on and coughing with mask off. On top of this and reports saying the two masked but corona positive barbers/hairstylists did not infect anyone else, I think it's safe to assume masks are for the most part extremely effective, and more than social distancing.

It took 10+ years for ppl to accept the theory of scurvy being effectively treated by consumption of fruit.

Change comes slowly.

edit

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I mean, there it somewhat makes sense if they didn't entirely know what caused scurvy or could easily prove it. In this case, it's easy to prove that masks are effective, and that result should be spread widely thanks to the internet.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Dr. Fauci, CNN and the World Health Organization were saying "don't wear masks" only a few months ago.

Things can get a bit confusing. Without delving into china shipping thousands of masks overseas that were defective. And other abnormalities.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
There should be a disclaimer there that with COVID many people aren't even sick or aware that they're sick, so that recommendation is pretty pointless.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And I think most people I saw thought that Fauci's and other's stance on this was due to the fear of shortages or something. Once people started making them at home, the tune changed.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
If I remember correctly, the reason was because they wanted to make sure medical workers had plenty of masks. But masks might not have been entirely necessary had people kept their distance.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Okay but that's what I just said

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Yeah, when I was replying, your post wasn't there. When I hit reply, your post appeared. I think I saw his post around 5-15 minutes after he posted?

triesha234

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Just wondering if there are any in self-isolation and how everyone is coping with the virus. I’ve been washing my hands way more often and even sanitizing my purse handles when I get to work and at home. Luckily, it’s still cool enough to wear gloves but I’ve been wearing my light gloves in public so I don’t have to touch surfaces. They get washed more often. :redface
I have been trying my best to make my days productive. I am learning a new language and i read books! still isolated though but its getting better

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Just wondering if there are any in self-isolation and how everyone is coping with the virus. I’ve been washing my hands way more often and even sanitizing my purse handles when I get to work and at home. Luckily, it’s still cool enough to wear gloves but I’ve been wearing my light gloves in public so I don’t have to touch surfaces. They get washed more often. :redface
I think the Quarantine became a reset. Got some priorities put into check and feeling better and healthier than working like an idiot every day. Shit is bad but personally, the crisis came at a good time.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

This simpsons prologue from 10 years ago appears to parody the corona virus on every level.

Corona virus, am I a joke to you? It seems like it.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
The quarantine also helped out a lot of people financially, and I hope we get more in weekly payments while unemployment is still an issue.

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
The quarantine also helped out a lot of people financially, and I hope we get more in weekly payments while unemployment is still an issue.
That's gonna be interesting to see how long the government can keep up those payments since the situation is far from over unless the Russian experiment goes extraordinarily well.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Speaking of vaccines, the only ones we know so far are from the Russians and Chinese, right? Or are there any more that’s getting as close as possible?

It’s unsurprising that both of those governments have managed to get closer to a breakthrough, especially when you have the rest of the governments around the world (the US particularly) running around like headless chickens and bickering all day.

Welp, I guess that’s just how it works when you have a centralized government. In crunch time, these are the governments that gets things done (at the cost of individual rights).

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Speaking of vaccines, the only ones we know so far are from the Russians and Chinese, right? Or are there any more that’s getting as close as possible?

It’s unsurprising that both of those governments have managed to get closer to a breakthrough, especially when you have the rest of the governments around the world (the US particularly) running around like headless chickens and bickering all day.

Welp, I guess that’s just how it works when you have a centralized government. In crunch time, these are the governments that gets things done (at the cost of individual rights).
No, I think it's more like they have less hurdles to get new products thoroughly tested. The Russian vaccine at least has a ton of skepticism over it in the scientific community.

There's several candidates in the US already, but they have more trial phases.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
To the best of my knowledge, the one from China (Sinovac) is the current frontrunner right now. At my place, we’ve already begun the testing phase with volunteers. So far, so good.

Reactions: xi0

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
That's gonna be interesting to see how long the government can keep up those payments since the situation is far from over unless the Russian experiment goes extraordinarily well.
I feel like at least for US, the government will lie and say it doesn't have enough money while giving billions or trillions of dollars to the weapons industry and corporations.

I know in some states, the $400 per week that Trump said would happen went down to $300 as $400 is too much, like California for example. At the very least, the government should postpone rent and guarantee food and living expenses for almost everyone without a job or income. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but it might also be cheaper to supplement minimum wages to $15 to motivate people to go back to work, as it's cheaper to pay $3/hr difference than it is to pay $400 per week.