Crello attempts cleaning challenge #001 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Crello attempts cleaning challenge #001

Crello

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, here we go! Anyone have any suggestions?

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks good, but if you could resize it back to 1200, it will make it easier to help. The most noticeable stuff right now is the two middle panels in the top row are linked at the border, that should have been erased. The same with the middle panel and the right panel in the middle row. you also forgot to re-draw some white lines on kakashi and shikamaru in the bottom panel. please re-size it though, pages will have to be at that size if you wish to scanlate.

Crello

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, thanks so much! *shakes head* I can't believe I missed the borders and such - after staring at the thing for so long!
And I didn't realize that photobucket had re-sized my image. Here's for imageshack!

Vato Loco!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, better. This is a good clean. A few things to remember though. You re-drew your borders with anti-alias on. This is a no no. It ads a line of gray on both sides of the main black line, and the main black line tends to be thinner than wanted. It's always better to use the pencil tool for borders, unless they're slanted at which time I would use the line tool to re-draw them.

I liked the way you made kakashi and inos hair and kakuzus shirt wrap thing smooth. However, it looks like you only did this to a few things, and so it makes them stand apart from the other line art. Mainly it makes them seem lighter than the others. This also makes them contrast any line art around them. For instance choujis nose looks like it was re-done, however, this makes choujis nostril lines looks jagged in contrast.

Your line art re-drawing is great. there's just a few more things. second panel, there should be white between inos eyebrow and the line that connects her hose and the last part of the eyebrow. Also, in the last frame there's also some line art in chouji and kakashis pants that you forgot to re-do.

And lastly you need to go through and thoroughly clean the whites, especially around line art. It easily stands out around line art, and the darker dust stands out in the whites. I know it seems like its tedious and meticulous work but it has to bee done. A lot of it looks like jpeg artifacts left over from the original image, these have to be especially taken care of. Otherwise it somewhat defeats the purpose of saving as png, and really brings down the quality of the picture.

hope this helps, and good job.

Crello

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much for taking the time to review/post. It's extremely helpful!
One quick question - when you say clean the whites, do you mean the trees and such in the background? I went through them once to get rid of the pixilation, but I was unsure what to do with the smaller shading lines. Do I need to re-draw them as well?

Vato Loco!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, and no. The trees do need to be cleaned but so does the rest of the picture. The smaller shading lines should be left alone, those are usually put there to show depth and should be left alone. However, there are artifacts that need to be removed around those lines. These artifacts aren't really noticeable unless you're looking for them. This is also where cleaning things such as the trees becomes tricky since it's harder to tell what needs to be removed and what should stay. However, after you start cleaning a lot they become more apparent. And there is a way to spot them easier than just looking at the picture.

Take this page I made, put it into your cleaning program. Now zoom in close to one of the boxes, then take your monitor and tilt it upwards if it can be tilted. If not then you're gonna have to bring your head around the base of the monitor and look up at it, you'll then see artifacts appear inside the box. These are what I'm talking about.

This is a lot easier for me to do since I use a laptop to clean. however, if you use a desktop and your monitor doesn't tilt then I would do this in blocks. Just separate your cleaning by panels. Clean one panel, or two, then take a rest and move on, this will help to prevent neck cramps, at least until you get used to seeing the artifacts.

Note: I didn't highlight all of them, just a few for example. You will have to go through and look at all of the panels to see what needs to be removed.