Discussion - Damn alot of stuff was revealed in chapter 47 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Damn alot of stuff was revealed in chapter 47

mrveggie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
From 47 we basically learned that
- all humans are still alive in titans
- For some reason a titan needs to eat a human if they ever want to be human again (might be different for different titans)
- Eren most likely ate his father which is why he was never seen again and why he is able to control his titan form
- If a human is not in control of their titan form, they will not age

Reactions: nat

vanihba2000

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Now I am getting excited about Ymir's past. She was a noble/important person either within the walls or in an outside settlement and was probably experimented upon(with a few others) by that Wall Cult/Warriors/someone else. She(and the others) became mindless Titans and wandered about in the woods. That probably explains why she is similar to the normal Titans. And other mindless Titans notice it if a human is able to control their Titan forms(by their movement patterns? ).

But then, Why was Ymir a Titan for 60 years and Eren for only a short period of time? And what explains the difference in strength/appearance between different Titans?
Probably because there are different serums for different effects. Grisha's Serum seems to have been a better one than the serum which was given to Ymir 60 years ago.
It seems the serum has been developing over the years -- heh? 60 yrs ago a 'primitve' serum given to Ymir and later an 'improvised' serum given to Annie, Eren and R&B. The researchers have been successful in improving the serum and it's types.

So essentially Ymir is a product of a failed experiment 60 yrs ago.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Hey, maybe in that basement... could there be an antidote to the Titan 'disease'. Like Grisha was responsible for curing that plague thing right, so maybe he had also developed an antidote for humans transforming into Titans....

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Another thing is, if Grisha knew about this Titan ability and serum, could there be other such researchers within the walls?
2 possibilities :
1) Grisha somehow figured out from his research that Titans are just transformed humans and started developing serums on his own.
2) Grisha was originally from that Warrior faction and stationed within the Walls as a spy and later defected. Maybe he was responsible for experimenting upon humans within the walls.. like on Ymir and co.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So...
- Their target became Eren after his Titan debut
- But if Eren turned out not to be what they're looking for, their mission would still go on
- Even then, if Christa (as an important person of the wall group) were with them, their search would become easier

They know about the Titans inside the walls, meaning they figure there must be someone within the walls who are familiar with the Titans (whether by origin or experiment or whatever you speculate)
They figure someone must have turned Eren into a Titan within the wall...
Meaning the original speculation still stands? (about them wanting to get to Eren's basement... since part of their answers lie there)
Even if Eren turns out not to hold enough information, with Christa's help, they could get nearer to the 'culprits?'

Ymir and Bert seems to be sort of on the same ground, they don't entirely like being Titans in the first place, and don't want to eat human
So can we assume they're wanting to solve the Titan crisis? (rather than straight up destroying humanity)

vanihba2000

Reaction score
Country
India
So...
- Their target became Eren after his Titan debut
- But if Eren turned out not to be what they're looking for, their mission would still go on
- Even then, if Christa (as an important person of the wall group) were with them, their search would become easier

They know about the Titans inside the walls, meaning they figure there must be someone within the walls who are familiar with the Titans (whether by origin or experiment or whatever you speculate)
They figure someone must have turned Eren into a Titan within the wall...
Meaning the original speculation still stands? (about them wanting to get to Eren's basement... since part of their answers lie there)
Even if Eren turns out not to hold enough information, with Christa's help, they could get nearer to the 'culprits?'

Ymir and Bert seems to be sort of on the same ground, they don't entirely like being Titans in the first place, and don't want to eat human
So can we assume they're wanting to solve the Titan crisis? (rather than straight up destroying humanity)
Do Reiner and Bert know anything about the basement? I thought only Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Irvin, Rivaille and Hanji know this.
I don't think they are heading for the basement. They specifically said they were going back to their hometown and I don't see any point in them lying about it. They will return to help out Annie(they still don't know that she's been captured) and get that "coordinate". What is this "coordinate"?

Someone inside the walls responsible for opposing them or knowing too much about Titan and Titan ability? That is most likely Grisha.
The fact that they were sent on a mission to find this "coordinate" means that even the Warrior faction knows about this person and what he was doing. If it is Grisha, he could very well be a Warrior originally and changed his name later and married Carla.

Last edited:

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
We still can't assume much, but I'd speculate that the "coordinate" that RBA (if they're still talking about her like that then she must still be alive imo) are looking for
(a) is a special titan-- not necessarily a "wall titan" (!) but that was probably their assumption if their original plan was to smash the walls, and (b) can be more easily found with Christa's help.

Totally insane, off the wall thought I just had: I wonder if their "village" isn't so much in a distant place but in a distant time? Either Yumpo or Utsune (sorry I can't remember who, apologies for my lame memory) had a decent suggestion in another thread that maybe Reiner and Ymir in the herring can scene could *BOTH* read the cans and Reiner was just *pretending* to be ignorant of what they say so that he wouldn't blow his cover. That said I'm currently of the opinion that Ymir is the only one of the titans that is likely to be as old as that. If Bert and Reiner rampaged, imho they probably only did so for a number of months and not years upon years like her.

Last edited:
Reactions: nat

Yumpo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We still can't assume much, but I'd speculate that the "coordinate" that RBA (if they're still talking about her like that then she must still be alive imo) are looking for
(a) is a special titan-- not necessarily a "wall titan" (!) but that was probably their assumption if their original plan was to smash the walls, and (b) can be more easily found with Christa's help.

Totally insane, off the wall thought I just had: I wonder if their "village" isn't so much in a distant place but in a distant time? Either Yumpo or Utsune (sorry I can't remember who, apologies for my lame memory) had a decent suggestion in another thread that maybe Reiner and Ymir in the herring can scene could *BOTH* read the cans and Reiner was just *pretending* to be ignorant of what they say so that he wouldn't blow his cover. That said I'm currently of the opinion that Ymir is the only one of the titans that is likely to be as old as that. If Bert and Reiner rampaged, imho they probably only did so for a number of months and not years upon years like her.
I don't speculate that heavily in any manga I read. And it's not my speculation either. XDDD
It's interesting though that Reiner was 'pretending' not to know that language theory. XDD. Kind of doubt it though.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I have lots of suggestions but I run around like a headless chicken. If it's decent then it's probably Yumpo's :P

One question here, do you think the herring can scene is solved then? Now that Reiner and Ymir both open up to each other (other than their sexual orientation, which should be obvious....... unless you people complicate matters in the other thread XD ) But in the end, do we still know whether they are talking about the language on the can, or the fish in the can?? Or is that even necessary now?...

Bandreus

Reaction score
Country
Italy
They definitely don't like eating humans. I wouldn't say they don't like being Titans tough. In fact they never express any feeling towards their nature. Reiner actually is very proud about being a Warrior and all.

I would say they do realize being mass murderers isn't the most beautiful thing in the world, they certainly don't enjoy the slaughter, but they don't seem to have a particular problem with it either. It's more like they know it needs to be done and that's all about it.

I mean, Reiner kind of starts having a problem with it once he gets acquainted with the Soldiers from the other side of the fence, but it's not like he feels much regret either. It's just that realizing some good individuals are actually there among the enemy puts him in a conflicting state of mind. Bertholdt doesn't really seem to care much about anything really.

I don't think we can safely assume they want to solve the Titan crisis. In fact Reiner went as far as stating the world doesn't have a future (like, he stated that like it was a given really) and their original mission was to exterminate all humans within the walls to begin with.

The mission's priority now seems to have drifted quite a bit, which makes me thing killing humans was not the very goal but rather a requirement for them to be able to get to what they are looking for. Eren and subsequently Christa very much seem to be two of the factors involved with them not having to exterminate humans anymore.

But who knows what their ultimate goal is at this point? Maybe it has to do with stopping the Titans, maybe not, I'm left clueless still, although some interesting hints are slowly starting to emerge.

Last edited:

ImmortalZodd

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I'm confused as well. So much information in this chapter, but once again, each bit of info opens up new questions..
So Grisha was crying when he injected Eren cause he knew he'll get eaten? :D But I still think that there is room to doubt this theory. Grisha said their memories should help you control it, possibly implying that he wouldn't need to eat anyone to control his form as he already got all he 'needed' with the injection.
What is /that/? Is it in Eren's basement? And Eren knows it's location ie. it's coordinate? Or is /that/ the coordinate (located in the basement?)? xD

edit: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/47 And this ending, omg :D

windy van

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
From 47 we basically learned that
- all humans are still alive in titans
Umm... I think there is something different about it..
I mean those titans swarming outside the wall can't move in night..
The only titans seen move in night is just those shapeshifters and those whose for some reason appeared by the monkey expedition..
So i think not all titans is human.. Or it could be that they lost ability to move in night for some reason.. Errr idk.. :p
And if they was all humans back then how come when soldiers cut their nape there's not any remaining human corpse? It's weird..

vanihba2000

Reaction score
Country
India
No, Reiner specified that maybe the coordinate wasn't Eren himself. Then it must be a person with special (Titan) ability or knowledge. They are after this person to complete their mission.
For this mission they :
1) Kidnapped Eren and Ymir : because they have Titan ability? Basically, R&B know that they need to take Titan shifters with them and that a Titan shifter is maybe their "coordinate". Then the question is, how exactly will they verify if Eren is the "coordinate" or not?
2) Kidnapped Christa : because she knows about the wall. (how is that gonna make the search easier?) And why didn't Christa reveal the Wall secrets before?

Confusions abound.

R&B&A were given the mission : Wipe out humanity within Wall Maria and infiltrate Wall Rose as spies to gather intelligence on the military and locate and bring back the 'coordinate', who is most likely a Titan shifter. They attack Wall Maria and succeed. They attacked Wall Rose and see that Eren transforms into a Titan. Eren could be their 'coordinate', and bringing him back supposedly takes more priority than attack on Wall Rose. They realize that he may not be the 'coordinate' and need someone with special knowledge like Christa to help them search for him/her.

Mindfucked...What exactly are the secrets that Christa is hiding??

Last edited:

ImmortalZodd

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
R&B&A were given the mission : Wipe out humanity within Wall Maria and infiltrate Wall Rose as spies to gather intelligence on the military and locate and bring back the 'coordinate', who is most likely a Titan shifter. They attack Wall Maria and succeed. They attacked Wall Rose and see that Eren transforms into a Titan. Eren could be their 'coordinate', and bringing him back supposedly takes more priority than attack on Wall Rose. They realize that he may not be the 'coordinate' and need someone with special knowledge like Christa to help them search for him/her.
And what did the Ape Titan have to do with anything?

Also, Ymir eating a human got her humanity back? Did she eat only Berik or others before as well? Or maybe Berik was also a titan shifter which would mean that if a mindless titan eats a shifter, then he gets his humanity back?
Or was Ymir simply a special case?

Bandreus

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Like, I think the concept that "you need to eat a human" to regain your humanity is a bit ludicrous.

This is being supposed only because we know of one Titan (Ymir) regaining her humanity. And as it happens she ate at least a human at some point in the past.

I mean, you do realize Ymir has been a Titan for ~60 years, right? Don't you think she ate WAY more than a single human? Also, all of this is being assumed by looking at a single Titan's bits and fragments of a backstory. Thousands of Titans are out there, all of them eat humans, but still it doesn't really look like shifters are all that common, right?

What I'm trying to say is the whole "eat human" => "regain humanity" thing is a very weak assumption, at least given the amount of solid evidence we have at the moment.

Also, regarding R&B's mission. I have the feeling (from both chapter 47 and previous ones) the way they talk about things is very suspicious. In fact things don't really seem to add up much.

The way they talk about their "hometown", the fact they need to find the Ape Titan's destination, the "coordinate", the /THAT/, Christa's info being helpful in finding out their objective's location...

This is all very fishy, I can hardly formulate any meaningful theory about all of this. I seriously doubt it's as simple as finding a single person/shifter and then go home.

Not sure if the translation is getting in the way of things, but the more I read things the more I think the Time Loop theory is indeed involved in all of this.

ImmortalZodd

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I mean, you do realize Ymir has been a Titan for ~60 years, right? Don't you think she ate WAY more than a single human? Also, all of this is being assumed by looking at a single Titan's bits and fragments of a backstory. Thousands of Titans are out there, all of them eat humans, but still it doesn't really look like shifters are all that common, right?
Time doesn't matter if she's just mindlessly wandering about, it's not like there are a lot (if any) humans outside the walls/settlements. And I'm now confident that Berik was a titan shifter like Berth and Reiner, and by eating him, Ymir gained the ability to control her titan just like Berik could. Doesn't seem all that ludicrous to me.

Btw, this page: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/9
What does Reiner mean? So, now they are going to their hometown, but will then return inside the walls later on with Annie, Christa and /that/, only to go back home again?

Dass Jennir

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Right now we can't be sure about what "that" mean, but they intend to bring Annie with them. Guess they don't know yet she was captured, which makes sense considering they were separated from the hunt for Annie inside the walls.

Last edited:

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have lots of suggestions but I run around like a headless chicken. If it's decent then it's probably Yumpo's :P

One question here, do you think the herring can scene is solved then? Now that Reiner and Ymir both open up to each other (other than their sexual orientation, which should be obvious....... unless you people complicate matters in the other thread XD ) But in the end, do we still know whether they are talking about the language on the can, or the fish in the can?? Or is that even necessary now?...
Unfortunately I don't think it's solved. We might be able to get a better sense of nuance from the original Japanese text but probably not. For now I'm assuming only Ymir could read it, although it makes me wonder how on earth did Reiner know that Ymir was a shifter? (I'm not touching the orientation "discussion" for now, lol...)

Time doesn't matter if she's just mindlessly wandering about, it's not like there are a lot (if any) humans outside the walls/settlements. And I'm now confident that Berik was a titan shifter like Berth and Reiner, and by eating him, Ymir gained the ability to control her titan just like Berik could. Doesn't seem all that ludicrous to me.

Btw, this page: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/9
What does Reiner mean? So, now they are going to their hometown, but will then return inside the walls later on with Annie, Christa and /that/, only to go back home again?
Yes, pretty much that. It seems they need their "coordinate," they need "that" and they're going "home" WITH Annie (maybe also with Christa if Reiner convinces her)... and never coming back. With it translated as them wanting to get Christa on "their side," it's strongly implied they have a cause she can agree with.

*edit*
btw this chapter was pretty funny at times. I laughed out loud both at Eren's uselessness and at Conny and Christa being all happy to see titan Ymir. :XD

Last edited:

ImmortalZodd

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
For now I'm assuming only Ymir could read it, although it makes me wonder how on earth did Reiner know that Ymir was a shifter?
Huh, what makes you think he knew?

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The lines about not being the type to be interested in guys/girls made me think he was alluding to the fact they both had more important things on their minds, which I'd seen as their respective (possibly contradictory) "missions" as titans. Maybe I was reading into it too much though, and he was just lying about himself while saying he thought they both weren't into dating.

Last edited:

mrveggie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did anyone else notice how immediately after they discovered the ape titan, reiner and berth wanted to leave? It's already been confirmed that the ape titan is something they need to get home. I'm pretty sure the person controlling the ape titan is a human from their village.