Seinen - Dark Mage by Kim Jung Ryul | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Dark Mage by Kim Jung Ryul

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dark Mage

Additional gallery Pics
[td] [/td]
[td] [/td]
[td] [/td]

Author: KIM Jung Ryul
Artist: KANG Jae-Sin
Genre: Action, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Seinen

MH DataBase: here
Manga Updates: here

Summary
Once... Humans and Orcs peacefully co-existed, but at some point humans got greedy and started a war claiming the Orcs' territory. The diety-Lord who created all, got angry with the humans' greed and decided to punish them with 3 catastrophes. One of them was the "Dragons", divine creatures blessed with magic capable of doing almost anything. Now the Orcs, with a "Dragon" by their side, seem to have the upper hand. Will humans just sit back and see their land get destroyed? They are too devious for that... Their only good plan at that point is to abduct a "Dragon" to even things up. But how are they going to manage the capture of a being with so much power? [EG Scans]

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
whats your opinion? how much will you rate it out of 10?

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would give it a solid 9. I would rate higher if there were more chapters. The series, characters, story line are really well done and have not bored me at all. I tend to like these fantasy type story's with fights and strange powers. The plot and story thus far has has been rather good.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Their only good plan at that point is to abduct a "Dragon" to even things up. But how are they going to manage the capture of a being with so much power?
this part seems to be a spoiler :D
i caught up but this plan didnt catch my eyes yet
its a good manhwa so far tho its too early to comment but the settings are like ID isnt it?

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

nd i think its the Dragons that are in fault in the first place. When the war ensued between human and orcs Y didnt the dragon stop them? they let it happed till orcs contracts has been taken from them. are the treaty as such worthy only of a contract or are the people which whome they have the treaty with is important.
i fail to see how come an absense of a contract shifts the grace away ?
if they stepped in to stop the human invasion things would have stopped though humans would have experience many casuality but not a threat of annihilation.

as for lord Crossen i think its Homyung. Remember the dive he dived to get Solo?he did touch the teleportation field
but he wasnt withing fully and they did say that such teleportations are tricky so its highly possible along with traveling in different dimention he also traveled in time and went to the past.
what do you think unc charlie?

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, the setting has a lot of similarities to ID. About the dragons, yes they seem to be the one pulling the strings currently.

---------- Post added December 19, 2011 at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was December 05, 2011 at 09:28 PM ----------

New chapter is out from eg scans. Have not read it yet. Go see them for the chapter.
Will comment on it a bit later.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
hmm i ve read up till chap 19 where he kills 2-3 trolls without using ki or gauntlet blades (dun know what is the name of the weapon he generally uses). but the guy who was testing him wasnt impressed because he didnt do anything flamboyant nd he dosent have Ki.
the mage managed to placate the higher up tho

---------- Post added December 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was December 20, 2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

things are turning interesting they plan on making him fight a twin headed Ogre while he barely managed to defeat a troll ogre is supposed to be stronger. i like the bad ass character of the hero, may be thats y i am liking it more than ID.
nd there is ample fights and story progression unlike breaker, only prob is this kind of stories are too polarized. While they are good reads they still cant super hype ppl up like breaker or Nobless or TOG.
But Dark mage's awesome in its own genre thats for sure

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Eg scan's released another chapter as part of their Mas Christmas release. Get it from their site.

This last chapter finished volume four of the series. So the next chapter will be from volume 5.
I did not think that Ogre would be so huge. I was expecting something more than just a two headed troll :faint. So....... anyway, things are really look good in terms of plot. It looks like Sung Dogko is in a bit of trouble, I cant wait to see how he handles this monster.

Bludvein

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like I was right. The main character is going to end up learning magic to make up for his handicap. Making him the titular dark mage.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like I was right. The main character is going to end up learning magic to make up for his handicap. Making him the titular dark mage.
I'm really enjoying this series greatly. I guess I really like the fantasy aspect of genres like this. ^^
Dokgo is pretty bad ass too. I wonder if at some point he will have that seal from the monk that was placed on him removed.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
i am interested to see how he ll get out of this mess. i am sure the young mage will be the magical art trainer of our main.
the Ogre is a tough opponent to face esp without Ki
wonder how Solo will defeat this beast.
@Bludvein i agree with ya.Guess the Title of Dark mage will be proven through his later learning of Magic nd his new found powers

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Without having to go back re read the chapters again what was the main characters new name in the current world? Shaheer refereed to it but I don't recall it. I know his original name as Sung Dokgo. Solo something??

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
the arc mage gave him the name Solo i think, its easy to remember as its more like english than korean so i use it. will double check when i have the time to pin point the page where he was christened such

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
the story and setting feels like the combination of 1/2 prince ,ID,Yureka :) im on chapter 3 and i like it :)

on some chapters he looks like the hunchback lols

ok he really is a hunchback another LOL moment :(

Last edited:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know right interesting concept for a main character. ^_^
This is the second / third series after ID that I really want to buy.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
so why is the protagonist a hunchback? is it because of the old man's seal? or he was born like that ?

Bludvein

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
He was born like that.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
ya, thats how it is. You know i really think the manga authors should blow down stereotypes, the main shsouldnt always be handsome looking/ broad shouldered clean-shaved etc
kind a portrays the ppl who are not such as inferior of some sort

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well..... he still has a handsome appearance, no? lol

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
well face wise he is Ok i mean coming from a guy i d say the more bad ass the better hero you are, that given you should nt be an @$$ nd be just of some sort, say Kenshin. he is not shojo handsome but he is cool when he fights esp when he takes on batosai name back but he still maintains sanity
thats the kind of heros i would like the mangas to potray, ofcourse there are a lot of other elements to make a hero better
but that way the heros are more like heroes

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i like the character but i hope he always wear a cape so that when his on that pose he looks like an assassin waiting to attack :)