DC Comics Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

DC Comics Discussion Thread

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
You gotta love this guy! He's the only human with no meta power in JLA. He's multi billionaire. He's one of DC Universe's smartest guy. He's the one and only... Batman.

Hailing from Gotham city with the sole purpose of getting rid of all the crimes in Gotham, Batman is the urban myth told in whisper words among the small time crooks.
And his list of rogues is filled with names that brings terror to Gotham. You got the the Joker, the Penguin, Poison Ivy, Two Face, Killer Croc and the list goes on.

So, talk about all things Batman and his "family" (Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, Birds of Prey) here!

Last edited:

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Superman Comics Thread

Faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than a locomotive, able to leap tall building in a single bound. Yes, ladies and gentleman, it'sSuperman.
Launched from his homeworld Krypton by his parents Lara and Jor-El to save him from the destruction of their planet, baby Kal-El landed on a stormy night in Smallville, Kansas. The Kents found him and took him as their son and named him Clark Kent.
After realising his powers and decided to use them to help others, Clark becomes Superman. Clark Kent left Smallville for Metropolis and works in the Daily Planet as a journalist. As Superman, he repeatedly save the world from doom even at the cost of his life.

And this is where you can talk about The Last Son of Krypton. So, up, up and away!

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Superman Comics Thread

I lost track of what happened to him right before the infinity crisis. Do you know where he went?

Oh and I thought the movie was too boring, should have given him a real villian. Luthor was to comedic

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Before Infinite Crisis, Big Blue was kinda busy.
In Action Comics he fought Preus from the bottled city of Kandor, Gog from alternate time, and a new and improved version of Doomsday.
In Adventures, he helped Captain Marvel, got a visit from his wacky foe MXYZPTLK and fought Ruin
But, if you're asking where he went before IC, in Superman comics, he went to Metropia, a version of Phantom Zone and fought General Zod. It's in the For Tomorrow (Superman #204-215) arc.
I hope that helps :D

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

I have a lot of catching up to do, I just remember vaguely something about Black Adam forming a team... I'm always a bit slow in the comic universe since all I have to work with are graphic novels that come ever few months at my neighborhood bookstore.

About Black Adam, he's not really one of Superman's villians is he? At first I thought he was but later when I read about him I learned that pretty much he's the predecessor of Captain Marvel. Though by far he's my favorite villian since he isn't crazy smart like Luthor or incredibly dumb like Doomsday (doomsday new intelligence isn't really intelligence, he thinks he's smart but he keeps getting weaker :notrust) Black Adam is a what Superman would be like if Superman ever crossed the line. He just tries he's hardest to fight in what he believes in.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Well currently in 52, Black Adam has gone straight. He becomes the ruler of Kahndaq, get married and got his own Black Adam Jr. I havent seen him in any new storylines, or maybe i did, but forgot about it :D

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh Kahndaq, read about that in JSA, I'm pretty sure massacring the government and then giving little kids weapons is crossing the line. Sure Superman didn't agree with him, I think having a metahuman in charge of politics kind of goes against the leagues belief.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

I just think that the heroes needs to keep an eye on Black Adam.

As for a meta in politics, now that Ollie Queen is the Mayor of Star City, i think the league's stand changed a bit. I know, Ollie's not a regular member anymore and i dont think he'll be returning with JLA (but Roy Harper a.k.a Speedy might) :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Batman Comics Thread

Batman is pretty unique in an universe where almost everybody else seems to actually have powers! But he's not the Greatest Detective in the world for nothing. I have a love-and-hate with the character lately, though, because I don't there's been very many good creative teams on his books.

But the best Batman stories are the ones where they remember to put him as a detective first and foremost instead of being a guy in a bat costume kicking bad guys' butts. He uses "fear" as a way to make it easier for him to solve his cases.

I'm not crazy about the stories that pair Batman up too much with Superman though. Too often than not, I just can't see Batman keep up realistically against villains of Superman's caliber. Batman is a story best told with solo missions. (No Robin, either.)

I don't mind seeing Batman make guest appearances in JLA to help them figure out what's going on, though.

A must read for any Batman fans, by the way, is Year One. A lot of fun to read.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

A lot of writers really struggle with writing Superman. He's basically unbeatable so how do you make his stories exciting?

I used to be a huge Superman fan back in the old days but he's more fun to read about when you're a kid usually. But I don't envy any creative teams working on him.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Gold Knight said:
A lot of writers really struggle with writing Superman. He's basically unbeatable so how do you make his stories exciting?

I used to be a huge Superman fan back in the old days but he's more fun to read about when you're a kid usually. But I don't envy any creative teams working on him.
IMO, nowadays in most Superman stories, the villain doesnt just go after Supes. Like what Ruin did to Pete Ross & Lana Lang's family. Or when Lois got shot or threatened by Jean Loring. It's really hard to write a good story where the villain really trashed Superman, since the guy himself (is characterized) just wont stand down from anyone or anything.
But, to tell you the truth, me am hate Bizarro. He am my least favourite hero in Superman comics.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Well, maybe in the future we might see a new Batman. Several scenes in the recent comics gave hints about Bruce thinking about stepping down. Like when he said to Alfred: "Careful, Alfred. You might be working for him someday.", when Alfred gave his opinion on Tim Drake. Or when he said he was training Cassie (formerly Batgirl, currently badass assassin), he said "I need you to be ready to replace me." or something like that.

Batman on solo missions is always cool. He's more edgy that way, he doesnt have to be looking out for Robin or whomever his partner is. What I like about Batman is his interraction/relationship with Alfred. Alfred is his butler and yet he's more than just that. He's more like his dad/personal assistant/everything.

Besides Year One, several titles written by Jeph Loeb and art by Tim Sale (i.e. Long Haloween, Dark Victory). And not to overlook another work by Frank Miller & Lynn Varley The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Long Halloween is another one I definitely enjoyed, and I'm hopeful that the new Batman movies will adapt these stories eventually. Especially concerning Two-Face's history.

Heh, Robin becoming the next Batman? I guess it could happen. Although I'd prefer Nightwing (Dick Grayson). Either way, that'd actually be a pretty good move. Everybody knows what to expect from Bruce Wayne now, so it'd be cool to see how his student does.

Yeah, I like Alfred too. People say a lot that they like Robin because he reminds Batman that he's human, but I actually think Alfred does that more. Still, I suppose Alfred can't be there with Batman while he's on his missions.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Bizarro has turned into a hero? I really am behind.

Yeah, that's a good point about Superman being vulnerable by his loved ones being hurt. But that's about it, besides kryponite and magic.

I'd actually be interested in a story where Superman gets lost in space sometimes. Having all the powers and invincibility in the world doesn't matter much if you don't know the way home, does it?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Gold Knight said:
Bizarro has turned into a hero? I really am behind.
I guess you dont speak Bizarro then. What i meant by saying
ichimaru_gin_n_tonic said:
me am hate Bizarro. He am my least favourite hero in Superman comics.
was translated as: I love Bizarro. He's my most favourite villain in Superman comics. :D

Gold Knight said:
I'd actually be interested in a story where Superman gets lost in space sometimes. Having all the powers and invincibility in the world doesn't matter much if you don't know the way home, does it?
Yeah, that would be great. Superman being lost in space and talking to himself: "I dont think I'm in Kansas anymore..." :D Superman might get lost in space, unlike a certain kickass superhero with an awesome glowing green power ring bestowed by Abin Sur. I wonder who could that be :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

No, I haven't read much Superman stories with Bizarro in them. Sorry for not understanding at first XD

Yeah, that's one thing Green Lantern can do that Superman can't. I remember reading some Aliens vs Superman books from Dark Horse that I really liked, so I think that's where I got that idea from.

Severely Senile

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

I just feel the need to add Arkham Asylum as a must-read for any Batman fans. It's the best Batman book to date. Seriously.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Arkham Asylum? Haven't read/heard of that one. (Though I do know Arkham Asylum is Gotham City's prison.)

Severely Senile

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

It's written by Grant Morisson and the art was done by Dave McKean!

Hmm... I'll ask Ichi if he could upload or find a link to it somehow.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Hey, I dont have Arkham Asylum by Grant Morisson, and you know that!
Oh well, I'll go look for it. I'll post once i got the link. :D